The Orville (Hulu, was Fox)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree with you for the most part. What I was hoping to see with him was a maturing arc and I think that got sidelined a bit by Charly. They did it a bit at the end of S1 and into S2 with LaMarr by moving him from the goofball sidekick on the bridge to chief engineer. Mercer's had a little arc too where he's gone from being more Kirk-like to more Picard-like in his command style. So I wanted to see some growth like that for Gordon.

One little nitpick that I did have with this episode was why was LaMarr piloting one of those little fighter ships? It seems odd that you'd send out your chief engineer in one over having him keep the Orville running correctly.
Haha, that's a good point about LaMarr. But, they gotta give him something to do I guess. You could chalk it up is giving the actor some lines and action, but Bortus was nonexistant during the battle himself. Of course, outside of Mercer and Grayson, Bortus and probably Isaac have been the most heavily featured characters this season.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll keep it short... Even with a few warts, this was an outstanding, awesome episode.... Perhaps the best of the series.

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Haha, that's a good point about LaMarr. But, they gotta give him something to do I guess. You could chalk it up is giving the actor some lines and action, but Bortus was nonexistant during the battle himself. Of course, outside of Mercer and Grayson, Bortus and probably Isaac have been the most heavily featured characters this season.
True that Bortus was nonexistant then but Bortus with the walnuts was gold.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also..... thr opening sequence looked like a tribute to Orthanc.... I half expected to see Sauruman standing atop it. :D

Not complaining... I thought it was cool. :thumbup:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife and I really enjoyed episode 10, which was almost certainly the last of the Orville (it appears to have been made as such). We'll miss you, Orville!

Reactions: TRW

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Tell you what, after the excellent Topa stuff, this show has gone into the toilet. Super long episodes with some truly cringeworthy writing. Some bits and bobs of good stuff mixed in, but yeesh.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The wife and I enjoyed The Orville and I thought they wrapped it up pretty good (if this is the end).

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was an OK season finale. Some really funny and dumb stuff in it. Overall, this season was fantastic. If this ends up being a Series finale, then it was really meh.
Seems like a Season 4 is uncertain so by bringing back Alara, there being two "unions" and hints about Ed and Kelly (holding hands) that may have been the intent. It just seemed to be overall a pretty average episode for a great season. If this was the Series finale it changes my mind a bit and is pretty weak for a Series finale if this is it.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was an OK season finale. Some really funny and dumb stuff in it. Overall, this season was fantastic. If this ends up being a Series finale, then it was really meh.
Seems like a Season 4 is uncertain so by bringing back Alara, there being two "unions" and hints about Ed and Kelly (holding hands) that may have been the intent. It just seemed to be overall a pretty average episode for a great season. If this was the Series finale it changes my mind a bit and is pretty weak for a Series finale if this is it.
I believe they were thinking it COULD be the last in the series. Seth has indicated that he's done, but there is talk about them continuing on without him..... or not.

I agree that the episode was a bit schmaltzy at times, but I didn't care. I liked the warm and fuzzy stuff in this circumstance.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I didn't care for the finale. Too unfocused and too much of a relationship drama with not enough sci-fi. I really hope it comes back for a forth season. Seth needs to learn how to focus a little and not jump to the next project so quick. We'll see what happens. I'm guessing 2024 at the soonest if we do get it.

One nitpick with the episode, every scene change the ship was at quantum but they didn't go anywhere. They left in all of the flyby shots. lol

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They definitely can count that as a series finale if they wish. But I thought it was a mediocre episode at best and I’m leaning towards it being one of the worst of the entire season.

I simply didn’t care about either storyline. The A story has always been cringe worthy and not close to being believable. That “relationship” has always been a joke to me and to have yet another episode around it was a huge miss for me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose