The Orville (Hulu, was Fox)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This show has ramped things up a notch this season. Last night's episode was heavy. Not to spoil anything but it centered around the issue of transgender children. I think they did a really good job with making you care while not being too preachy.

If you're not a fan of the show but want to watch this episode I'd recommend watching S1E3 About a Girl first. The events of that episode drive this one. You can probably fill in the blanks without it but it'll help.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This is the best Star Trek show on TV right now. :)

Seriously -- how can anyone not see the obvious parallels between this and Next Gen?
Well, Seth set out to make a new Star Trek show so I think he succeeded. :)

They really screwed up when they turned him down for a ST and made STD instead. This show is better than anything CBS has been putting out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, Seth set out to make a new Star Trek show so I think he succeeded. :)

They really screwed up when they turned him down for a ST and made STD instead. This show is better than anything CBS has been putting out.
I also think the Hulu move was great and allowed them to be a little bit more risque. It's worked well this season.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I also think the Hulu move was great and allowed them to be a little bit more risque. It's worked well this season.
Yeah, I think that move is freeing them up a lot. From some of the stuff I've read Seth and Fox have a hate-hate relationship. I think Fox really wanted Family Guy in space instead of a good Star Trek show.

Only thing I'm still mixed on with the move is the CGI. You can tell they got a bigger budget for it. Last episode was better for it but the first few episodes, especially the first, the graphics looked both better and worse at the same time. They upped the detail a lot but it came out looking a little bit more fake to me. Hopefully it settles into a more realistic look.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that move is freeing them up a lot. From some of the stuff I've read Seth and Fox have a hate-hate relationship. I think Fox really wanted Family Guy in space instead of a good Star Trek show.

Only thing I'm still mixed on with the move is the CGI. You can tell they got a bigger budget for it. Last episode was better for it but the first few episodes, especially the first, the graphics looked both better and worse at the same time. They upped the detail a lot but it came out looking a little bit more fake to me. Hopefully it settles into a more realistic look.
Yeah the CGI worked with the comedic way the show was presented, but now the comedy is the weak link and the dramatic stuff is very good. Their CGI needs to be updated to accommodate. The one thing the Star Trek shows do have is superior CGI.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the CGI worked with the comedic way the show was presented, but now the comedy is the weak link and the dramatic stuff is very good. Their CGI needs to be updated to accommodate. The one thing the Star Trek shows do have is superior CGI.
The first episode of Discovery my jaw dropped. I thought it was on par or superior to some movies. I really like Orville but it's a mixed bag. Some of the sets look really expensive and some of the CGI not so much.

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The first episode of Discovery my jaw dropped. I thought it was on part or superior than some movies. I really like Orville but it's a mixed bag. Some of the sets look really expensive and some of the CGI not so much.
Yeah, the Star Trek shows are great looking. I wish we could mix STD's graphics with Orville's writers and cast.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll never guess who is a guest star this week (Episode 8)

Hint: Not Jolene

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I didn't care for this week's episode. It fell flat for me. I think the problem I'm having is that they're going to the same story lines too often. I wish they'd mix in some extra "monster of the week" episodes that are harder sci-fi to go along with their arc episodes. I think I might have liked it better if there was a couple more episodes between it and the last Topa based episode.

The visuals were stunning though in this episode. You can really tell that they had a bigger SFX budget this season.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My wife and I started it just a while ago and we both almost quit after the first couple of episodes. But, we kept watching and now both of us will be really sorry to see it end. I have enjoyed the humor and the more dramatic episodes equally. The music references are always clever and make me laugh.

Sometimes, especially the first season, I would laugh because it would make me think of Galaxy Quest (which I love).

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't care for this week's episode. It fell flat for me. I think the problem I'm having is that they're going to the same story lines too often. I wish they'd mix in some extra "monster of the week" episodes that are harder sci-fi to go along with their arc episodes. I think I might have liked it better if there was a couple more episodes between it and the last Topa based episode.

The visuals were stunning though in this episode. You can really tell that they had a bigger SFX budget this season.
I'm a big Dolly fan, but that segment felt forced. I thought the rest of the episode was outstanding.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the Dolly part and I thought the parts with the daughter were good. Having said that? I am just over the entire Moclan thing. How many times can they revisit this story?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I loved the Dolly part and I thought the parts with the daughter were good. Having said that? I am just over the entire Moclan thing. How many times can they revisit this story?
Yeah I'm done with it as well. However, we will see it again in some form, if just to show the new female Moclan state and how they fit in with the rest of the Union. But it certainly seems like the personal stuff with Toba and Bortus is done.

My feeling now is that we might see some love triangle stuff, but I don't really like that angle.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm done with it as well. However, we will see it again in some form, if just to show the new female Moclan state and how they fit in with the rest of the Union. But it certainly seems like the personal stuff with Toba and Bortus is done.

My feeling now is that we might see some love triangle stuff, but I don't really like that angle.
I was relieved when Bortus left the show. I thought maybe they would be done with all that. I was wrong. LOL.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn Orville has been pretty damn good this season minus the Moclan stuff.

Really sucks to see Charly killed off. She really grew on me as a character. I get she was the catalyst for peace but still sucks.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
If I've said anything bad about this season of the Orville I take it all back after last night's episode. :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If I've said anything bad about this season of the Orville I take it all back after last night's episode. :)
Interesting episode -- first half Star Trek, second half was all Star Wars.

Have to disagree with Covert on Charly. I never liked her and story-wise, was unclear how an ensign was given that much power other than have a pretty girl added to the cast. And she was generally an unpleasant person because of how involved the Kaylons were in the entire season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have to disagree with Covert on Charly. I never liked her and story-wise, was unclear how an ensign was given that much power other than have a pretty girl added to the cast. And she was generally an unpleasant person because of how involved the Kaylons were in the entire season.
That's why I said she grew on me. She was annoying when she first appeared. Didn't like at all as a person either. However, a few episodes ago she started to show cracks and enjoyed seeing her evolve. Just when I started to like her....BAM.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I didn't like her all season and was wondering why they added her. I found her annoying too. It also felt like Gordon took a back seat in order to have her on the bridge. That said I think last night was a nice redemption for her. If I was a cryer I might have shed one or two last night.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I didn't like her all season and was wondering why they added her. I found her annoying too. It also felt like Gordon took a back seat in order to have her on the bridge. That said I think last night was a nice redemption for her. If I was a cryer I might have shed one or two last night.
I'm not a fan of Gordon either. To me, he represents the past version of this show where it depended more on comedy than drama or sci-fi action. And a lot of his humor is forced. That's a big reason why I think his episode where he lived on earth and had a family was the best Gordon-centric episode of the series. I enjoyed him being serious for a change, and I think he's at his best when he is.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Gordon either. To me, he represents the past version of this show where it depended more on comedy than drama or sci-fi action. And a lot of his humor is forced. That's a big reason why I think his episode where he lived on earth and had a family was the best Gordon-centric episode of the series. I enjoyed him being serious for a change, and I think he's at his best when he is.
I agree with you for the most part. What I was hoping to see with him was a maturing arc and I think that got sidelined a bit by Charly. They did it a bit at the end of S1 and into S2 with LaMarr by moving him from the goofball sidekick on the bridge to chief engineer. Mercer's had a little arc too where he's gone from being more Kirk-like to more Picard-like in his command style. So I wanted to see some growth like that for Gordon.

One little nitpick that I did have with this episode was why was LaMarr piloting one of those little fighter ships? It seems odd that you'd send out your chief engineer in one over having him keep the Orville running correctly.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave