The Official US Soccer thread

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Hilarious as usual Shzm, hopefully one day you'll be able to beat us somewhere other than Azteca, where the true class and honor of the Tri's fans shine through.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Mexico clings to what they can. They won the Gold Cup against our C Team and then beat us 2-1 in that hell hole city and in the pit that is Azteca stadium on a day when our best player had swine flu...you have to give them credit because really they don't have a whole lot going for them otherwise.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mexico clings to what they can. They won the Gold Cup against our C Team and then beat us 2-1 in that hell hole city and in the pit that is Azteca stadium on a day when our best player had swine flu...you have to give them credit because really they don't have a whole lot going for them otherwise.

Lol seriously? Outside of Holden, and (maybe) Altidore, US has a pretty mediocre future. (would be close if Rossi and Subotic had played for US,) but Vela, Dos Santos, Ochoa, Moreno, Juarez, Guardado >>>>>>> USA's future.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Lol seriously? Outside of Holden, and (maybe) Altidore, US has a pretty mediocre future. (would be close if Rossi and Subotic had played for US,) but Vela, Dos Santos, Ochoa, Moreno, Juarez, Guardado >>>>>>> USA's future.

You're as bad as a Notre Dame fan, time to stop living in the past. Mexico has lost the majority of the games since the 90's started, and nothing indicates that will be changing anytime soon. Other than the Gold Cup, Mexico hasn't won in the US since 1999. The US will continue to dominate Mexico outside of Azteca, (or against our 3rd stringers) and you'll continue to make excuses.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I'm talking about the country as a whole not just the FMF, Mexico doesn't have much going for them so they have to cling to what little they can with a death grip, every loss to the US makes them sink even further into inferiority...namely soccer or baseball because they sure as heck can't compete with us anywhere else.

As far as soccer goes the bottom line: Mexico hasn't scored a goal against the US in a WCQ outside of Azteca since 1997. 2-0 2001, 2-0 2005, 2-0 2009...during that same span the US is 0-3 in Azteca but at least has managed to score twice.

As for future goes...U23's(Olympics) Mexico didn't qualify & U20 WC Mexico didn't qualify.

Last edited:

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're as bad as a Notre Dame fan, time to stop living in the past. Mexico has lost the majority of the games since the 90's started, and nothing indicates that will be changing anytime soon. Other than the Gold Cup, Mexico hasn't won in the US since 1999. The US will continue to dominate Mexico outside of Azteca, (or against our 3rd stringers) and you'll continue to make excuses.

Get outta here with your boatloads of speculation, US isn't dominating squat. "Were" the ones making excuses, yet all i hear from US fans is "that was our c-squad in the gc." All that means is that Mexico has a deeper, more talented team. Who is going to step up for the US in the future again? The U23 team? Lol get outta town. This isn't living in the past, the US did have a dominant period outside of the Azteca, but they don't have the talent to continue doing it in the future. Mexico does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry that the United States wasn't available to play against your "deeper, more talented team" in the last Gold Cup, they were too busy beating Spain at the time.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sorry that the United States wasn't available to play against your "deeper, more talented team" in the last Gold Cup, they were too busy beating Spain at the time.

Did the US win that cup?

You must be registered for see images

1999 Confederations Cup Final
Mexico 4 Brazil 3

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
1999 Confederations Cup Final
Mexico 4 Brazil 3

Ahh the Confederations Cup that Mexico hosted and beat the US in Azteca on a golden goal in the semi final 1-0. All that proved is Mexico can win in Azteca--I think that was already established, nobody is disputing that. It also proved to FIFA that Mexico is incapable of hosting any future major tournaments until the facilities improve--10 yrs and counting.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ahh the Confederations Cup that Mexico hosted and beat the US in Azteca on a golden goal in the semi final 1-0. All that proved is Mexico can win in Azteca--I think that was already established, nobody is disputing that. It also proved to FIFA that Mexico is incapable of hosting any future major tournaments until the facilities improve--10 yrs and counting.

Whos the one making excuses now? ;)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Whos the one making excuses now? ;)

What excuse? Mexico won in Mexico...call out the press! Thats a statement of fact not an excuse. Mexico plays like a great team in Azteca much the same way Costa Rica does in Saprissa.

Keep grasping at straws in the past because I understand there isn't a lot of good going on in Mexico to be prideful of. I'd probably do the same thing if I was in Mexico's shoes...luckily I am not (Thank God!).

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Costa Rica got pwnt 3-0 by Mexico in the Sarprissa. :)

Also, whos talking about anything other than soccer here?

Love how you conveniently left out the U17 team btw ;)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Costa Rica got pwnt 3-0 by Mexico in the Sarprissa. :)

Also, whos talking about anything other than soccer here?

Love how you conveniently left out the U17 team btw ;)

Yes and Costa Rica is the only team to beat Mexico in Azteca in a WCQ I believe..returned the favor I guess.

This isn't club soccer, its Int'l soccer its always about more than the sport, its about Int'l pride. I am admittedly bias, I worked on that border and dealt with illegals, smugglers and liars on a daily basis for years. They grasp at straws about "El Tri" as often as they can as they have nothing else...they get a massive inferiority complex every time they lose to the US or finish behind us in a competition. They are among the worst fans in all of sports and its a reflection of their society...or did you miss the Gold Cup game in Dallas with multiple ejections on the field & multiple arrests in the stands or the urine chucking they did in LA a few years back? Classless fans are a product of that culture. Its one thing to be "fans"--its another to be myopic fans--I'd share a beer with a typical Costa Rican or Honduran fan anyday, they are prideful but at the same time realistic.

As for the U17's I didn't include that because both our national teams qualified...if you remember that qualifying tournament was played in Mexico and cut short because of Swine Flu--we never met each other at that level although it appeared that we were the 2 strongest teams in our federation and were destined to meet in the final.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
He absolutely should. No question about it.

well the question is how bad does he want to play in the World Cup? Going to Blackburn and sitting the bench doesn't get him to Africa...

Hopefully with this new CBA the MLS can take strides to becoming a real league where Americans would want to stay here instead of going overseas..

I could see Holden signing a 1 yr deal with Houston to get his place for the WC and then giving him a chance to shine and giving him maximum exposure to get a contract overseas the following yr...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
well the question is how bad does he want to play in the World Cup? Going to Blackburn and sitting the bench doesn't get him to Africa...

Hopefully with this new CBA the MLS can take strides to becoming a real league where Americans would want to stay here instead of going overseas..

I could see Holden signing a 1 yr deal with Houston to get his place for the WC and then giving him a chance to shine and giving him maximum exposure to get a contract overseas the following yr...

You think he'd sit on the bench in Blackburn? Really? He might not be a regular starter, but he'd get minutes. Even as a sub the competition is much more "international" than in Houston.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
You think he'd sit on the bench in Blackburn? Really? He might not be a regular starter, but he'd get minutes. Even as a sub the competition is much more "international" than in Houston.

Well Jozy isn't exactly setting the world on fire in Hull and I think Blackburn is a better than Hull is.... I like Holden and I think he could be really good for us but he wasn't really "superstar" in the MLS... H e made his mark as a US international...

only thing i really remember about his MLS play is that awful turnover in the MLS All star game that led to a goal v Everton....

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Freddy Adu has another loan spell end in disappointment but it looks like Hull City has interest in bringing him in now.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Clint Dempsey injured his knee today. First reports say it's an ACL problem. Not good.

Not good news. Hopefully it isn't super serious and he can recover and get game fit by the WC.

Our attack is gonna suffer as it is with Altidore not getting any playing time and Davies hurt

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Clint's knee injury apparently isn't as bad as everyone thought. Looks like they're saying he may even be back with Fulham before the EPL season is over.

Great news for us.