The Official US Soccer thread

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Good news. I hear Onyewu will likely be back with time to get match fit for the WC too. Davies sounds optimistic about his return but I think its more likely he'll return to the field in the fall.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I found out today I was drawn for tickets for all 3 US WC matches. Now its a matter of finding a reasonable plane fare and getting the time off of work. I will probably only make it to the first 2 matches

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wow, congrats Zeno!

Thanks. I may not be going now...airfare is running $3500 & up. I was hoping for around $2000 or so but at that price I just can't afford it.

Really sucks that my WC tickets are already paid for. They say FIFA makes it a hassle to transfer tickets to someone else to discourage scalping, I will look in to it though.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Good news concerning Davies...

Less than four months after the crash that threatened to end his promising career, Davies is already jogging at a good rate and working on agility drills that would have seemed impossible just weeks earlier, when simply getting out of a wheelchair was an exhausting exercise.

What does this progress mean, exactly? It means that, barring any setbacks, Davies could be back on the field with club team FC Sochaux by April, meaning his chances of playing for the United States in June's World Cup should no longer be seen as a shattered dream

Here is the full article...
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...avies-remarkable-path-recovery?cc=5901&ver=us

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
Today, Davies looks very much like he did before the accident. The swelling in his face that was so evident during his interview with ESPN last November has subsided, though a shorter haircut reveals the scar he has from ear to ear arcing over the top of his skull. That scar came after doctors peeled his face off down to his chin in order to repair the multiple fractures that left his facial bones a shattered mess.

-------------------------------------

WOW, i have read about his other operations, but never heard about this. Amazing what he went through and where he is at.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Donovan scored his first goal for Everton against Sunderland of all teams.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
From the Times of London.....

Their latest success may have been aided by Sunderland's generosity but that should not detract from Everton's growing sense of confidence in a season that had threatened to go off the rails. The addition of Donovan, an intelligent, thoughtful footballer whose lively movement off the ball was epitomised by Everton's second goal, has clearly helped in this respect.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Mexico is doing the right thing by scheduling matches against other WC heavyweights in warm ups...England, Italy & The Netherlands--sure they have lightweights like Bolivia, Iceland & New Zealand but they are seeking out top tier opponents as well.

I hope the US does a smilar schedule leading up to this summer, a lightweight schedule will do nothing to prepare them for what is to come.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
From the Mirror in the UK...

Landon Donovan has been the best signing of the January transfer window so far.

If Everton went and chased him then it was a master stroke on David Moyes’ and Everton’s part. If it wasn’t then Moyes was right to snap him up when Donovan came calling from the MLS.

Donovan is neat, tidy, disciplined and has come in and coincided with Everton’s season turning completely around. That’s no coincidence.

It is also a huge boost for the US with the World Cup coming up.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Landon Donovan has to stay right where he is, no question about it. Screw the MLS.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Donovan is getting experience of playing against some of the England team he'll face June 12th. He is getting experience playing in the top league in the World and he's easily holding his own. He has looked good in what i've seen so far and a couple of Toffees' fans I know love him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He's definitely the best asset on our team. Well, that can possibly be said for Howard, so I'll say he's the best field player (non-keeper) that we have. He is the key to our success in the WC, IMO.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
In other good news Charlie Davies is only a month away from resuming training with his club, he is back in France doing rehab now. He could very well be able to make the 23 man roster for the World Cup, even if not as a starter due to fitness, he could be a dangerous late game sub.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In other good news Charlie Davies is only a month away from resuming training with his club, he is back in France doing rehab now. He could very well be able to make the 23 man roster for the World Cup, even if not as a starter due to fitness, he could be a dangerous late game sub.

Awesome! Heard anything recently about Onyewu?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Onyewu I think has resumed light training already...not 100% sure though.

Found a quote from Bradley from last week...
While spending two weeks in Europe, U.S. head coach Bob Bradley visited the recovering Dempsey. He told Goal.com, “I saw Clint while I was over there. I think the hope is he’ll be ready to return to Fulham at some point. Probably somewhere mid-to-late March; possibility that he could always beat that.”

As for Onyewu, “The thought is that he should be ready to resume to regular training in the beginning part of March.”

Bradley also gave his two-cents on the condition of striker Charlie Davies, who suffered a life-threatening automobile collision in October 2009, the day before the match with Costa Rica. “Charlie’s situation is more difficult to assess because they were not typical soccer injuries, therefore it’s harder to say.”

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Onyewu update...

CHICAGO (Feb. 18, 2010) - U.S. Men's National Team and A.C. Milan defender Oguchi Onyewu took part in portions of a team training session this morning at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., marking the first time he has stepped on the field with a team since rupturing a patellar tendon in his knee on Oct. 14, 2009. Onyewu trained for about 30 minutes, participating in the warm-up, a 5 versus 2 game and a possession game before stepping out for individual rehabilitation work. He is expected to return to Milan soon, where he will continue to work towards resuming full training.

There is no doubt Onyewu will be ready in time for the WC IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Is this what his original target date was of getting back onto the field? Seems early to me.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just to add to the 'everyone in Europe thinks Donovan is a joke' debate, because it's so much fun seeing slinslin proved wrong.

This is from the bbc report after Everton easily handled man u on Saturday (where, Donovan was excellent by the way).

And United States star Donovan, in his short loan spell at Everton, is underlining what a threat he will be to England's ambitions at the World Cup in South Africa this summer.

and this comment from Phil McNulty, a different bbc columist.

Moyes was, by his own standards, beaming after watching Everton show the confidence to take United on with a passing game and reap the rewards. Leon Osman was the game's outstanding performer while the intelligence of players such as Landon Donovan - a superb signing - Steven Pienaar and Mikel Arteta gave them an elegance as well as their trademark resilience and character.

I await a response . . . . . .

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to add to the 'everyone in Europe thinks Donovan is a joke' debate, because it's so much fun seeing slinslin proved wrong.

This is from the bbc report after Everton easily handled man u on Saturday (where, Donovan was excellent by the way).

And United States star Donovan, in his short loan spell at Everton, is underlining what a threat he will be to England's ambitions at the World Cup in South Africa this summer.

and this comment from Phil McNulty, a different bbc columist.

Moyes was, by his own standards, beaming after watching Everton show the confidence to take United on with a passing game and reap the rewards. Leon Osman was the game's outstanding performer while the intelligence of players such as Landon Donovan - a superb signing - Steven Pienaar and Mikel Arteta gave them an elegance as well as their trademark resilience and character.

I await a response . . . . . .
If Donovan leads the US to a win over England in the WC, I will never say anything bad about him again.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the jersey freaks out there, here's what the US will wear in the WC:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I dig the blue one but not as much as the one they wore in the last WC (the one with the red horizontal stripe). Not so much of a fan of the white one, but I think it looks a lot better than the fugly white jersey they wear right now.