The Official Hot Stove thread

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
There is news that the yankees are close to sign Eric Milton.... I think that after they sign him they might then deal Javier Vasquez (with cash to help pay his bogus salary), Eric Milton, and a prospect (not like Duncan or Navarro sadly). What do you guys think?

If NY gets Milton, theres almost no point in them trading us a lot for Johnson. Milton is younger, a lefty like RJ, and can win 20 games if given good run support.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
If NY gets Milton, theres almost no point in them trading us a lot for Johnson. Milton is younger, a lefty like RJ, and can win 20 games if given good run support.

But his ERA has never really been that good. So I dont know why they want another middle of the level starter. And he has been in the majors for a while, but hasnt really improved over the years that he has been there.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phill11 said:

Yeah, but has he ever won 3 games in a single World Series? Thats the reason the Yankees want Johnson...the playoffs.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:
The Diamondbacks will try to re-sign Steve Finley, but if they fail, Terrero could be the team's Opening Day center fielder.

Luis Terrero is also out of options. If he doesnt make the team, we will lose him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If the trade fails because of the ridiculous demands of something other than Vasquez, Gordon, their top third base prospect and cash, management should be strung up. Beyond all of the other embarassments this offseason, to lose out on that deal, which is basically highway robbery would be unforgivable.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
There's gotta be a rule in place to prevent the Yankees from signing Milton for the sole purpose of including him in a trade. If there isn't, I'm guessing the players union or Selig would get involved to stop it.

In other news, rotoworld is saying that the D-Backs have offered David Dellucci a guaranted two-year deal. Again, Joe Jr's stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
:bang:

On another board, someone said the only way to make a trade for RJ really work in our favor would be to trade him for a whole new front office.

Hmmm...straight across trade for Theo. :D

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let the MFY's sign Milton. He gives up way too many home runs and George would be better off going after Pavano or Radke.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
In other news, rotoworld is saying that the D-Backs have offered David Dellucci a guaranted two-year deal. Again, Joe Jr's stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Doesnt seem like a bad player for a 4th outfielder. :shrug:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Doesnt seem like a bad player for a 4th outfielder. :shrug:

i agree.... we probably aren't offering much, and we need a veteran 4th outfielder. MaoTosiFanClub, you need to start picking you spots on calling joe jr. an idoit, your starting to be a one trick poney, it's ok to dislike joe jr. but show some objectivity about his moves.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
offset said:
i agree.... we probably aren't offering much, and we need a veteran 4th outfielder. MaoTosiFanClub, you need to start picking you spots on calling joe jr. an idoit, your starting to be a one trick poney, it's ok to dislike joe jr. but show some objectivity about his moves.

I'll praise Joe Jr. when he deserves it. Pulling off Vazquez and Gordon with some add-ons will get him some praise from my book if it happens. I liked the Koyie Hill acquisition and praised him for that and for building a abive average farm system. However, offering David Dellucci two year deals does not fit into that category.

While I'm not opposed to bringing Dellucci back (pretty good glove and good bench player), a two-year deal in which we're bidding againt four or five other teams makes no sense to me based on past performance, market value, and the current situation of the organization. Dellucci will only be available against RH pitchers because he hits LH pitching about as well as Randy Johnson. He's really no better of a player than Ricky Ledee, who's on the verge of signing a one-year contract for less money with the Dodgers. Lastly, isn't Quentin going to be ready to be a full-time player by '06, if not sooner?

And aren't you the guy who said Gambo is objective? Last week, I heard his show and he said he thought Vazquez-Johnson straight up was a "good deal" for the D-Backs.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Reportedly Looch wants at least a million per, two years, guaranteed starter not bench. Actually, given how Joe COULD go, and other people he's thrown a Million at rather casually, that's probably not too terrible. But - he's not a starting OF, he's a very capable bench player. Carlos Quentin should be ready by 2006 if not late 2005, but there's never any certainty. Maybe his back worries them a bit and they want to have the option to take it slower.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Heard on the radio that the D'backs "probably" won't offer a contract to Danny Bautista and want to bring in Jeromy Burnitz and Jermaine Dye for a look

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This team is turning into the Colorado Rockies, I swear to god....

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Troy Glaus and Jermain Dye? Nobody's debating their talent (Glaus is an upgrade over Sexson talent-wise IMO and anyone is better than Bautista), but their knack for getting hurt should be taken into consideration. I remember reading an article a few months ago about Giants GM Brian Sabean talking about the factor injuries play on teams and why he stays away from players who are "injury-prone." I'll try to dig it up. I think Bill James also has written essays on the matter. Either way, these are two very high-risk, high-reward signings if they do indeed happen.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=32622

Here's an undated story from the Tribune about bringing in Royce Clayton and David Delucci as well as mention of Burnitz and Dye

My favorite part of that article...

The Diamondbacks told Dellucci’s agent, Gregg Clifton, he would get 450-500 plate appearances with them.

With Dellucci's career .548 OPS against lefties that should prove to be pretty interesting.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
tomarrow (the 7th) is the day that signings can take place without losing a draft pick....we should start seeing some action.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope to see Glaus sign, I have always been a fan of his....

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:

Yeah, but the rumored deal is for 10 million a year for 4 years.....

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:

In the 10 million range though?

I'd rather see us full out rebuild rather than spend our future money to be in 3rd place...

If the DBacks want to spend, they better spend. Sign some pitching. Get us a solid 3-5 rotation if we keep Johnson. I mean, this team can still win the West, if they build the team right. An infield of Clayton, Cintron, Glaus, and Shea won't cut it. We need a solid SS. I'm not sold on Clayton. He's got a good glove, but why sign him and have the below average fielding Glaus at first?

AZZenny

Reaction score
Have they offered Sexson arbitration yet, or not?!

If they fail to do that, I will start knitting cement booties as my Xmas presents to the DBacks front office... the entire front office.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Yeah, but the rumored deal is for 10 million a year for 4 years.....
I believe it is cheaper than what they have their offer up to Sexson for.... and they are a wash on paper but Glaus has some tremendous upside still in him.

Trading Johnson is where we are going to get the best cash relief for the young players we covet. Besides, Glaus is still young at 28, if his body stays healthy we will still be competitive

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I believe it is cheaper than what they have their offer up to Sexson for.... and they are a wash on paper but Glaus has some tremendous upside still in him.

Trading Johnson is where we are going to get the best cash relief for the young players we covet. Besides, Glaus is still young at 28, if his body stays healthy we will still be competitive

If healthy, Glaus is better than Sexson. Their career OPS and defensive abilities are about the same but Glaus is younger, the better base runner, and is a proven postseason performer while Sexson sucked in his limited postseason time.

And about being competitive, I am going to hold off on that talk until we actually have more than two adequate starters on our Opening Day roster.