The Official Hot Stove thread

Kolo

Reaction score
Am I the only one who wants to see the Diamondbacks face reality, trade RJ for players/prospects in their mid-20's or younger, let Sexson go, refuse to sign anybody to a long term deal who won't be around for at least five years (Odalis Perez? Glaus?), use the extra cash to sign Drew, draft Justin Upton and pay what it takes to sign him, sign a few minimum salary vets to teach the young guys, and let the team and organization grow over the course of four or five years and (hopefully) become what the A's/Twins have become?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jose Mesa and Solomon Torres News:
They were both in for physicals, meaning that Torres's contract could be announced today, yet Mesa's contract hasn't been finalized.
www.stltoday.com/cards

Jeff Kent News:
The Astros are preparing to make an offer to free agent Jeff Kent, GM Tim Purpura said.
Maybe Chris Burke will have to wait one more year if the Astros can talk Kent into accepting a one-year offer worth $5 million-$6 million. It's still quite a bit more likely that Kent will head elsewhere.
^^^ Houston Chronicle

Carl Pavano News:
Boston's turn might come today. The New York Post is reporting a rumor that Pavano will end up staying with the Marlins on a four-year, $32 million contract. "That's news to me." agent Scott Shapiro said.
^^^ New York Post

Mike Matheny News:
The Cardinals still haven't improved on the one-year contract offer they offered Mike Matheny in spring training.
Matheny just finished up a three-year, $8.75 million contract. The Cardinals' current offer to him is probably worth between $2.5 million and $3 million. If another team steps forward with a multiyear proposal, the Cardinals could let him go and turn catching duties over to Yadier Molina.
^^^ St. Louis Post-Dispatch

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
It's pretty safe to say RJ has played his last game in the purple unis.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3153816

Thankfully Joe Jr. is the D-Back representative at the GM meetings so when we end up with Javier Vazquez, Jorge Posada and a couple Single-A prospects at least we won't be surprised. :rolleyes:

EDIT - Another rumor has Kevin Brown and cash going to Atlanta for Andruw Jones, whose contract has become an albatross. Atlanta wants to put JD Drew in CF.

Dont Vazquez and Posada combined make more than Johnsons, therefore defeating the purpose? If we were going to trade Johnson, Vazquez wouldnt be a bad choice, but wouldnt cut it alone, and Id want something other than Posada.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Dont Vazquez and Posada combined make more than Johnsons, therefore defeating the purpose? If we were going to trade Johnson, Vazquez wouldnt be a bad choice, but wouldnt cut it alone, and Id want something other than Posada.

They actually do make more but it would probably be covered by the cash they sent us with the trade. Personally, I am totally against this garbage trade. While I like Vazquez and think he has #1 starter stuff, Posada is far too old and overpaid for the role he will play in Arizona. To me, this trade would only happen to convince fans that we're not rebuilding.

The trade options so far for RJ go like this

1. Yankees - Vazquez, Posada, and two minor leaguers and cash

2. White Sox - Jon Garland, Paul Konerko, and two minor leaguers

3. Cardinals - Rick Ankiel, Kiko Calero, and Dan Haren and a minor leaguer

Take your pick but I'd be holding off a month or two until the December meetings when we'll see what the Angels, Dodgers, Giants, and perhaps Red Sox are going to do.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steve Finley News:
The Dodgers have made an offer to keep free agent Steve Finley.
The Angels, Phillies, Rangers, Giants, Padres, Diamondbacks, Orioles and Mariners have ach demonstrated some level of interest in Finley, who now apparently is willing to consider American League and East Coast teams. "The team that shows a commitment to winning is the team that will land Steve Finley," said agent Tommy Tanzer. Finley isn't likely to sign before the Dec. 7 arbitration deadline.
^^^ Philadelphia Daily News

Dustin Hermanson News:
The Indians would prefer Armando Benitez, but they're also considering Dustin Hermanson as a possible closer.
"I've talked to [Indians GM Mark Shapiro] several times, and the interest is significant," said Casey Close, Hermanson's agent. "I think he has tremendous upside as a closer." Benitez wants a three- or a four-year deal worth at least $5 million per season. Hermanson would require a much smaller commitment.
^^^ Cleveland Plain Dealer

Casey Blake News:
Casey Blake, along with Victor Martinez, is one of the players the Indians have approached about a multiyear deal.
The Indians want to get some of their arbitration eligible players locked up beyond 2005. Jake Westbrook is another possibility for a two- or a three-year deal. Travis Hafner would be, but the team is a little concerned about his elbow.

Richie Sexson News:
Diamondbacks GM Joe Garagiola Jr. extended a new proposal to free agent Richie Sexson yesterday.
The contract better include more guaranteed money if the Diamondbacks hope to sign him. All indications are that he will go unless he gets a fully guaranteed three-year deal. The Diamondbacks want to include vesting options to protect themselves against another shoulder injury.
^^^ East Valley Tribune

David Dellucci News:
The Diamondbacks offered free agent David Dellucci a contract yesterday.
The East Valley Tribune reports that the offer is for one year in the $800,000 range with a team option for 2006. We like this better than the idea of re-signing Danny Bautista, but Dellucci isn't a very good option as a regular. The Rangers, Dodgers and Rockies also have interest in the 31-year-old.
^^^ East Valley Tribune

Jay Gibbons News:
The Orioles plan to open negotiations with non-tender candidate Jay Gibbons next week.
Gibbons would need to accept a contract worth close to his 2004 salary of $2.6 million in order to stay with the Orioles. If he opts to go to arbitration, the team would look to replace him. Though the Orioles do think he'll rebound offensively, they might prefer a right-handed bat and a superior defender.
^^^ Baltimore Sun

Jose Guillen News:
Jose Guillen, who was suspended for the last week of the season and the playoffs, said he would like to stay with the Angels if things can be worked out.
"First we would have to sit down and clear up everything that happened leading to my suspension," he said. It's still expected that Guillen will be traded. That the Angels could improve defensively by bringing in a center fielder and shifting Garret Anderson to left only makes the decision easier.
^^^ The Associated Press

Armando Benitez News:
Armando Benitez's agent, Mike Powers, doesn't expect to hear from the Marlins again following Wednesday's conversation.
The Marlins aren't going to attempt to come up with the money to re-sign Benitez. For now, the plan is to enter 2005 with Guillermo Mota as the closer. Maybe that will change if a cheap solution falls into their laps.
^^^ Palm Beach Post

Sammy Sosa News:
The MLBPA reportedly won't stand in the way if Sammy Sosa decides to void the clause in his contract that guarantees his 2006 salary if he's traded.
The Players' Association doesn't want its members giving up guaranteed money, but since this is money Sosa is probably never going to see, it could be flexible. Sosa is far more likely to be traded if his $18 million option for 2006 isn't an issue. He'd still be owned $25 million ($17 million base salary, $4.5 million buyout and $3.5 million in severance pay), but that's much better than $39.5 million.
^^^ Newark Star-Ledger

Blue Jays claimed RHP Seung Song off waivers from the Expos.
Not a great start for Expos GM Jim Bowden. Most organizations could have gotten away with giving up on Song, whose velocity is down from the days in which he was viewed as a top prospect. The Expos aren't most organizations, though. Top to bottom, they have as little talent as any team in the game. Unless Bowden has some very pleasant surprises in store, he's not going to come up with better uses for the final spots on his 40-man roster. Song will probably open next season with Triple-A Syracuse. He's still a potential fourth or fifth starter.
^^^ rotoworld.com

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From the Boston Herald.
According to agent Scott Shapiro, free agent right-hander Carl Pavano is intrigued by the possibility of returning to the Red Sox organization due to the opportunity to learn from Schilling over the next few seasons. Schilling, who led the Sox to their first World Series championship in 86 years in his first season with the club, was humbled by the open admiration from one of the National League's top pitchers.

``I heard someone mention it and all I could think was, `Wow,' '' Schilling said.

``He has shocked me,'' Schilling said. ``I remember facing him in his big league debut. He beat me but I remember thinking that he had a great body, physically, for a pitcher.''

Pavano filled out his 6-foot-5 frame to nearly 250 pounds over the ensuing seasons and eventually blossomed into the ace of the Florida Marlins [stats, schedule] staff. He went 18-8 with a 3.00 ERA in 2004 after going 2-0 with a 1.40 ERA in the 2003 postseason to help the Marlins upset the New York Yankees [stats, schedule] in the World Series.

``When I saw him pitch in the World Series, I didn't recognize him,'' Schilling said. ``He matured so much and he'd come so far, so fast, it was amazing. It's a great time for him to hit the free agent market. Perfect timing.''

Shapiro already has spoken with nearly 10 teams but said last week at the general managers' meetings in Key Biscayne, Fla., that his client would love to have Schilling as a mentor.

``Any player would want to play in that environment,'' Shapiro said.

Schilling said the possibility of having both Martinez and Pavano on the staff makes him feel fortunate to be a member of the Sox.

``I play for one of the `haves' and I don't dismiss that,'' he said. ``These guys spend their money on their players for their fans. . . . Not everyone can say that.''

Schilling still isn't a ``have'' when it comes to the Cy Young Award. He lost out to Minnesota Twins left-hander Johan Santana last Thursday, marking his third second-place finish. He was also the National League runner-up to former Arizona teammate Randy Johnson in 2001 and '02.

``Not to take anything away from what he did, obviously, but I promise you he'd rather be in my situation right now,'' Schilling said. ``What he did was impressive. I was glad to see the voters got it right.''

Schilling, who underwent three hours of surgery on his right ankle last Tuesday, had his cast and dressing changed Friday. He was ordered to keep weight off the foot for four weeks and the entire rest and rehabilitation is expected to take three months.

``Relief won't come until I'm on the mound in spring training,'' Schilling said.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that there are too many people that think Pavano as a Sox will happen therefore it wont...

It would be nice to add a 250 lb pitcher to the rotation. Curt and Pavano average 240 and Pedro (142lbs) and Arroyo (98lbs) total 240...

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By Peter Gammons
Special to ESPN.com
Nov. 14

When Jim Bowden awoke Saturday morning, there were already 41 messages on his cell phone. "How quickly I forgot," the interim general manager of the Washington-based Expos says, "how crazy this job really is."

Bowden doesn't know how long he will have this job or to what end, only that Bob DuPuy told him "do whatever's necessary" to get the team formerly known as the Expos back toward the road to respectability. "We've started selling tickets," says Bowden, "so I want to try to create some excitement and get people interested. It's a great city, a great opportunity, and I'll give the job everything I have."

Monday, Bowden sets up his office at the spring training complex in Melbourne, where cows roam behind the center-field fence. At different times this week, manager Frank Robinson, assistant GM Tony Siegel and scouting director Dana Brown will fly to Florida to discuss personnel moves with Bowden. "I've already made offers to free agents," he says. "And I've discussed a number of trades. We are in business, and I'm going to try to do everything possible to get this team moving in the right direction, both in the short and long terms."

Bowden is looking for a shortstop, third baseman, right-field bat and veteran (180 to 200 innings) starting pitcher. If possible, he'd like to hold onto catcher Brian Schneider (who's sought by Boston, among many, after having the majors' best percentage of runners thrown out), first baseman Nick Johnson, center fielder Brad Wilkerson and relievers Chad Cordero and Luis Ayala. Bowden tried to acquire Jose Guillen, whose career he rescued in Cincinnati, but the Angels insisted on Cordero. Guillen may end up in Florida in a three-way that would send Randy Johnson to Anaheim, or he'll be moved to Kansas City.

The free agents on his list include Corey Koskie and Vinny Castilla and shortstop Cristian Guzman, as well as several pitchers. Philadelphia came asking for Endy Chavez, several teams have asked for rookie outfielder Ryan Church, including Tampa Bay, which has several veterans it's trying to move, Aubrey Huff and Jose Cruz Jr. among them.

"I think we can have a pretty solid bullpen with Ayala, Cordero and [Gary] Majewski," says Bowden. "We have some pretty good young starters, and (left-hander) Mike Hinckley (11-4 between Brevard and Double-A Harrisburg) is a stud, someone I don't think I'd be afraid to send to the big leagues this season."

So, from now until the winter meetings in December, Bowden will be holed up in Melbourne, trying to find ways to make baseball's refugees interesting to the people of Washington.

Only the bad and the ugly (contracts)

Sammy Sosa. Preston Wilson. Kevin Brown. Jason Giambi. Kenny Lofton. Cliff Floyd. Mike Piazza. Tom Glavine. Byung-Hyun Kim. Ryan Klesko. Jason Kendall. Andruw Jones. Shawn Green. Darren Dreifort. Arthur Rhodes. Jose Vidro. Pat Burrell. Mike Lieberthal. Charles Johnson. Chan Ho Park. Matt Lawton. Paul Konerko. Eric Hinske. Edgardo Alfonzo. Ray Durham. Juan Encarnacion. Shigetoshi Hasegawa. Jay Payton. Jeff Bagwell. Jose Guillen. Tim Salmon. Bret Boone. Joe Mays. Kazuo Matsui ...

... And on and on it runs, the list of players teams would love to unload to rid themselves of the salaries. They are, pure and simple, bad contracts, some too long, some too much money. And while agents posture for five-year deals for mid-30s players or 10 years for icons, there is one fact of life every general manager has to accept: Kevin Malone went from the Sheriff of L.A. County to a fundraiser for a small Christian college because he doled out 18 years' worth of contracts to Brown, Green and Dreifort.

It appears that Sosa may be willing to pare down the $18 million he is owed for 2006 if he is traded, which would open the door for him to be traded to the Mets and reunited with Omar Minaya. Sosa's agent, Adam Katz, warns that he does not want Sosa to play for three different teams in three years, which would be the case if he were to go to Colorado for Preston Wilson and Charles Johnson. As Tracy Ringolsby pointed out, it is a cash wash, but while Sosa might hit 70 homers in Coors Lite, Katz knows that the Rockies would either trade him in July or let him walk at the end of the season.

The lengths of deals trouble clubs because history doesn't lie. Scott Boras is asking for five years and $65 million for Jason Varitek, and the Red Sox won't give it to him even though Varitek is the soul of the team. "Guaranteeing a catcher $11 million at the age of 37 (Varitek's fourth year in this deal) is suicide, probably to the GM," says one National League GM. Boras told the Red Sox he has a five-year offer in hand, but then he told the Phillies and Braves that Kevin Millwood and Greg Maddux had multi-year offers in 2003 and 2002, respectively, and neither did, requiring them to go to arbitration.

Presently, the Red Sox are trying to sign Pedro Martinez and Carl Pavano, who says that he would very much like to pitch with Curt Schilling. "I have a past with Curt (going back to Schilling's days in New Britain, Conn., when Pavano was a teenager in Southington)," says Pavano. "And I would like to learn from him." Boston has some interest in Troy Glaus, and could make it work if they cleared $8 million by trading Kevin Millar and Doug Mientkiewicz, but that is a 10 percent shot and way down the road.

Because of the aggressive nature of agents like Boras and the fact that teams want to see what players require as free agents, don't expect much to happen until after Dec. 7, when clubs can offer their free agents arbitration. "I think this is going to drag out until January and even February," Giants GM Brian Sabean says. "There will be more players signed after the first of the year than before," says another GM. "There will be another 40 non-tendered players on the market. And the shortstop market may take five or six weeks to sort itself out."

There were four teams that reached the postseason in both 2003 and 2004: the Yankees, Twins, Red Sox and Braves. The Yankees had nine players on both postseason rosters, the Braves nine, the Twins 14, the Red Sox 16.

"That turnover," says one general manager, "is what successful teams do."

"Teams that put themselves in a position to win every year," said another GM, "don't fall in love with the past."

The Dodgers' postseason roster had eight players who weren't with them (DL'd players don't count) on Opening Day, the Astros six, Twins and Angels five, Red Sox, Braves and Yankees four, and the Cardinals two.

"The playoffs aren't in January," Oakland GM Billy Beane says. "You leave flexibility so that the first two months of the season are spent finding out what you have, the next two months are spent trying to get what you need, and the last two months you go for it."

In case you were wondering
Value Over Replacement Player for free agent starters
(Source: Baseball Prospectus)

Pavano 62.4
Clemens 61.3
Radke 60.1
Pedro Martinez 51.2
Odalis Perez 49.7
Al Leiter 46.2
Jaret Wright 40.3
David Wells 40.3
Clement 36.9
Russ Ortiz 33.1
Orlando Hernandez 27.6
Lieber 27.7
Ramon Ortiz 24.6
Derek Lowe 11.6

If you haven't yet bought the 2005 Bill James Handbook, here are a few fascinating items. The first is his 2005 projections:

FREE AGENT 2005 PROJECTIONS

BA HR OPS
Beltre .287 34 .866
Beltran .285 31 .891
Cabrera .271 12 .729
Delgado .281 35 .955
Drew .291 26 .926
Garciaparra .313 20 .880
Glaus .254 39 .884
Koskie .270 20 .823
M. Ordonez .302 24 .902
Renteria .294 11 .765
Varitek .266 17 .792
Sexson .272 39 .894

YOUNG PLAYER 2005 PROJECTIONS
Kubel, Minn.* .317 17 .909
MacPherson, Ana .293 37 .945
Mauer, Minn .314 16 .867
Pickering, KC .277 34 .967
Wright, Mets .309 27 .929
Swisher, Oak .234 24 .792
Bay, Pitt .289 37 .923
Upton, TB .294 18 .842
Youkilis, Bos .271 6 .790
Morneau, Minn .280 32 .878
*Projection made before season-ending injury

PLAYERS PROJECTED TO 1.000 OPS
Bonds .316 36 1.195
Pujols .343 43 1.092
Helton .340 33 1.062
Ramirez .320 39 1.030
Guerrero .330 37 1.000

Firing up the projector
And you don't think home runs are devalued? There were 16 players with 500 homers -- all Hall of Famers -- before 1998. In James' career projections, there are 19 current players who project to 500 or more home runs:

Jeff Bagwell (561), Adrian Beltre (555), Barry Bonds (918), Eric Chavez (509), Carlos Delgado (556), Adam Dunn (682), Jim Edmonds (508), Juan Gonzalez (534), Ken Griffey Jr., (620), Vladimir Guerrero (659), Todd Helton (530), Chipper Jones (510), Rafael Palmeiro (616), Alex Rodriguez (779), Scott Rolen (503), Gary Sheffield (569), Sammy Sosa (756), Frank Thomas (538) and Jim Thome (644).

Favorite numbers from 2004

Cheap wins: Kenny Rogers, 11; Jeff Suppan, Eric Milton and Esteban Loaiza, 7.
Tough Losses: Ben Sheets, 11; Randy Johnson, 10; Jeff Weaver, 8; Oliver Perez and Freddy Garcia, 7.
AL Runs Created per 9 innings: Mark Teixeira and David Ortiz, 8.0; Melvin Mora, Travis Hafner and Manny Ramirez, 7.9.
Fastest Average Fastball: Rich Harden, 94.3; Roy Oswalt, 94.0; C.C. Sabathia, 93.8; Randy Johnson, 93.6; Kelvim Escobar and Jason Schmidt, 93.5; Ben Sheets and Jeremy Bonderman, 93.3.
Most pitches thrown 100 mph: Kyle Farnsworth, 30; Billy Wagner and Jesus Colome, 8.
Most pitchers over 95 mph: Harden 746; Oswalt 733; A.J. Burnett, 714; Josh Beckett 519; Carlos Zzmbrano, 512; Sabathia, 509.
Percentage of pitches in the strike zone: Curt Schilling, 61.9; David Wells, 60.4; Jon Lieber, 59.8; Sheets, 59.6; Brad Radke, 59.6; Mike Mussina, 59.3; Adam Eaton, 59.2; Tim Wakefield, 58.1.
Quality starts: Johnson, 26; Johan Santana and Jeff Weaver, 25; Brad Radke, Sheets and Doug Davis, 23.

Austin's power available
The Reds are taking offers on Austin Kearns, with a young future top-of-the-rotation starter their primary need ... Texas will move Alfonso Soriano, as expected ... The Mets are offering Al Leiter $4 million in addition to his $2 million buyout once they don't pick up the $10 million option for 2005 ... The Cardinals still believe they can re-sign Edgar Renteria, but he will have to backload the deal.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Omar Vizquel News:
The AP is reporting that the Giants and Omar Vizquel have agreed to a three-year, $12.25 million contract.
The Giants will give up their first-round pick to sign Vizquel, but that's not something they're at all concerned about. The positive here is that his addition will make Deivi Cruz a backup.
^^^ The Associated Press

Cristian Guzman News:
According to his agent, Cristian Guzman has received offers from two teams, neither of which are the Twins.
Guzman could be the top target of the White Sox if Omar Vizquel joins the Giants. It's currently believed that the Twins' choice is to keep Corey Koskie over Guzman.
^^^ Minneapolis Star Tribune

Bob Wickman News:
The Indians and Brewers have interest in Bob Wickman, who still hasn't decide whether he'll play next year.
Wickman was expected to decide on retirement this month. The Brewers would want him as a setup man. If they get him, they'd probably trade Luis Vizcaino.

Randy Johnson To Angels News:
The Angels, Diamondbacks and Marlins have discussed a three-team trade sending Randy Johnson to Anaheim.
As part of the deal, the Marlins would get Jose Guillen and sent Jason Stokes to the Diamondbacks. Arizona would also want pitching from the Angels. Anaheim doesn't want to lose Scot Shields, but he might have to be included in order to acquire Johnson.
^^^ Los Angeles Times

Marlon Byrd News:
The Phillies are rumored to have often Marlon Byrd to the Expos for Endy Chavez during the GM meetings.
That would have been an awful deal. One bad year doesn't bring Byrd down to Chavez's level. Chavez is just a fifth outfielder on a good team.
^^^ Philadelphia Inquirer

Sandy Alomar News:
The Phillies have some interest in signing Sandy Alomar Jr. to replace Todd Pratt as Mike Lieberthal's backup.
That's a clear downgrade. Manager Charlie Manuel apparently likes Alomar from their time in Cleveland together.

Sammy Sosa News:
According to the Newark Star Ledger, Sammy Sosa may be able improve his trade chances considerably by dropping an $18 million option from his contract. A source close to the Players' Association said that unlike Alex Rodriguez, Sosa will be allowed to restructure his contract because his money is not gauranteed. "This is a completely different situation than Rodriguez," the person said. "There is room for some flexibility." Sosa's agent has had discussions with union officials about voiding the option. Should that happen, the Mets are the likely suitors. Even with the option voided, however, the Mets and Cubs will still need to deal with the gauranteed money in Sosa's contract, $25 million. New York Newsday and the Ledger both report that the Mets would like to send Cliff Floyd to the Cubs as part of the deal.
^^^ Boston Globe

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Randy Johnson To Angels News:
The Angels, Diamondbacks and Marlins have discussed a three-team trade sending Randy Johnson to Anaheim.
As part of the deal, the Marlins would get Jose Guillen and sent Jason Stokes to the Diamondbacks. Arizona would also want pitching from the Angels. Anaheim doesn't want to lose Scot Shields, but he might have to be included in order to acquire Johnson.

i'm not familliar with jason stokes....anyone have some info on him?

Kolo

Reaction score
offset said:
i'm not familliar with jason stokes....anyone have some info on him?

From Baseball America--

2. Jason Stokes, 1b

Age: 22. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 220. Drafted: HS—Coppell, Texas, 2000 (2nd round). Signed by: Bob Laurie.

Background: Considered the top high school power hitter in the 2000 draft, Stokes dropped to the second round because of signability concerns and nearly attended the University of Texas before signing for $2.027 million. He challenged for the low Class A Midwest League triple crown in 2002 despite a painful cyst on his left wrist. He underwent wrist surgery, including a bone graft, near the end of 2002, but the complicated procedure kept him from letting go at the plate until two months into the 2003 season.

Strengths: Light-tower power remains Stokes' greatest tool. He already has cranked some mammoth shots in his brief pro career. He has shown good plate judgment in the past, though he regressed in that area this year. He has decent hands at first base.

Weaknesses: Wrist surgery, combined with the huge parks of the high Class A Florida State League, may have caused Stokes to alter his approach and chase more pitches. He doesn't run well, though he's not bad for his size. He remains an average defender at best, though he has picked up a half-step around the bag through strict conditioning.

The Future: Stokes had passed Adrian Gonzalez in the Marlins' plans before they sent Gonzalez to Texas in the Ugueth Urbina trade. Stokes should begin 2004 in Carolina, where the ball travels better and his natural power should be rewarded more often. He could be ready to challenge for a big league job sometime in 2005.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dodgers News:
Dodgers sign Mike Edwards, Mike Rose, and Jon Weber to minor league contracts and invited them all to spring training.

Randy Johnson News:
Diamondbacks GM Joe Garagiola Jr. plans to meet with Randy Johnson on Friday to discuss whether the left-hander wants to be traded.
Agent Alan Nero indicated last week that Johnson would prefer to be traded from Arizona to a contender. The Diamondbacks will want to hear it from Johnson himself before they get into any serious negotiations with other teams.
^^^ Arizona Republic

Richie Sexson News:
The Diamondbacks have yet to hear back from the agents for Richie Sexson and David Dellucci after making offers to both on Friday.
This might be a bad sign in Sexson's case. The offer to Dellucci was just an opening proposal, so they weren't expecting a yes.
^^^ Arizona Republic

Mike Piazza News:
The Angels are trying to acquire Mike Piazza to act as a DH and backup catcher, The Sporting News' Ken Rosenthal reports.
Piazza for Jarrod Washburn, Jose Guillen and maybe a little cash? Piazza doesn't want to be a DH, but Anaheim might be an attractive enough situation to get him to waive his no-trade clause.
^^^ FOXsports.com

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Supposedly Pedro and his agent and met with Steinbrenner and some other Yankee brass in Tampa today for lunch and a tour of their facilities down there. Is this a ploy to drive up the price with the Sox or is Pedro actually considering joining the Yanks, a team full of guys he has beaned, threatened, and fought over the past few year?

Djaughe

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Supposedly Pedro and his agent and met with Steinbrenner and some other Yankee brass in Tampa today for lunch and a tour of their facilities down there. Is this a ploy to drive up the price with the Sox or is Pedro actually considering joining the Yanks, a team full of guys he has beaned, threatened, and fought over the past few year?
lol....thought would interesting to see pedro pitching to posada....

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vinny Castilla News:
Expos agreed to terms with third baseman Vinny Castilla, who had been with the Rockies, on a two-year, $6.2 million contract.
A two-year deal for a 37-year-old third baseman who hit .218/.281/.493 on the road last year? Castilla may not be a better player than Brendan Harris right now, and he's not someone who is going to bring D.C. residents to the park. Such a complete waste of limited resources.
^^^ rotoworld.com

Cristian Guzman News:
Expos agreed to terms with shortstop Cristian Guzman, who had been with the Twins, on a four-year, $16.8 million contract.
GM Jim Bowden's first moves to turn around the Washington franchise border on disastrous. Already the team's second- and third-round picks are gone on players who wouldn't have been offered arbitration by their former clubs. $4.2 million per year for Guzman isn't so unreasonable. We don't think he's worth it, but worse shortstops have gotten bigger contracts. Guzman has stepped up defensively, and as long as he hits at the bottom of the lineup, he won't be too harmful offensively. Still, the Expos don't need average players locked into long-term deals right now. They might have had a chance to acquire a real asset at short at some point in the future. Now they'll pass it up if it happens.
^^^ rotoworld.com

Pedro Martinez News:
Free agent Pedro Martinez met with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner in Tampa today.
"We had a good meeting," Steinbrenner said in a brief statement. If Martinez signs with the Yankees, it would be a Steinbrenner move. Indications are that no team has topped Boston's two-year, $25.5 million offer.
^^^ rotoworld.com

Jason Varitek News:
ESPN's Peter Gammons reports that the Angels will offer a four-year deal to Jason Varitek.
They'd look to trade Bengie Molina if they sign Varitek. There's probably better ways for them to spend their money. Varitek might be worth $9 million in 2005, but by the time 2007 rolls around, the team could be wishing it still had Jeff Mathis.
^^^ rotoworld.com

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shawn Chacon News:
The Rockies are still talking to the Devil Rays and Rangers about a Shawn Chacon trade.
The Rocky Mountain News speculates that the Rockies could get either Jorge Sosa or Jesus Colome from the Rays or Ian Kinsler from the Rangers in return for Chacon. Considering that Chacon would probably be non-tendered if not dealt, Colome and Kinsler seem like high prices to pay. Sosa is reasonable. The Rangers could give up one or two of their moderate-upside pitching prospects.
^^^ Rocky Mountain News

Royce Clayton News:
The Diamondbacks are expected to sign Royce Clayton to a two-year deal, the Rocky Mountain News reports.
Multiyear deals for everyone!!! Clayton, who turns 35 in January, last year hit .259/.315/.334 away from Coors Field, numbers right in line with his season totals from the previous two season. He's still a pretty good defensive shortstop, but that's not going to last forever. As a one-year stopgap, he'd be not horrible There's just not any reason to give him a two-year deal. And it'd be an especially bad idea to do it now since he's a Type A free agent who won't be offered arbitration.
^^^ Rocky Mountain News

Jerry Hairston News:
Jerry Hairston is expected to begin light workouts next week after having a small bone fragment removed from his left ankle on Nov. 2.
Hairston, a top candidate to be traded, should be 100 percent by the start of spring training.
^^^ Baltimore Sun

Eric Milton News:
The Phillies spoke with Eric Milton's agent, Casey Close, again this week and still hope to re-sign the left-hander.
After settling for Cory Lidle in the fifth spot, the Phillies need to do better than Milton for their remaining rotation vacancy. Another 86-win season should not be the goal.

Dustin Hermanson News:
Giants assistant GM Ned Colletti was preparing to submit a multiyear offer to Dustin Hermanson's agent late Tuesday.
An eight-year deal would carry Hermanson through age 40. He's a proven closer now, so that seems fair.
^^^ San Francisco Chronicle

Troy Percival News:
To prove he is completely healthy, Troy Percival had an MRI on his elbow last Thursday, which "came out clean," agent Paul Cohen said.
Percival is scheduled to meet with the Tigers, Cubs and Indians this week. "We have two solid offers on the table and another team has started to [make an offer]," Cohen said. "He wants to sign right before or right after Thanksgiving." For what it's worth, ESPN's Peter Gammons believes that Percival will sign with Detroit.
^^^ Chicago Tribune

Damian Miller News:
According to his agent, Damian Miller yesterday received a two-year contract offer from the Red Sox.
Miller is holding out for a three-year deal and is expected to meet with other teams this week. For the Red Sox to offer Miller $2 million-$3 million per season, the Brian Schneider trade talks much have gone nowhere. Miller is the top free-agent catcher available, but that's not saying a lot. It's a little surprising there haven't been any rumors connecting Jason Kendall and the Red Sox. Kendall isn't the same kind of defender as Miller or Schneider, but he's better than Mike Piazza and he's someone who wouldn't have to bat ninth in the lineup.
^^^ Boston Herald

Brad Radke News:
Cristian Guzman's injury won't affect when Brad Radke decides to re-sign with the Twins.
"It stinks that he's not going to be back," Radke said. "I'm going to miss him. I don't think it's going to factor much in my decision. I don't see any reason why the Twins couldn't be competitive again next season." We'll see if he feels the same way once Corey Koskie goes. Things have been quiet on the Radke front so far. Even though he was the superior pitcher last season, he seems to be a fallback plan for some of the team's interested in Carl Pavano.
^^^ Minneapolis Star Tribune

Kris Benson News:
Newsday reports the Mets are close to signing Kris Benson to a three-year deal worth about $23 million.
That's just too much. With all the other pitching on the market, we find it hard to believe that anyone else would be willing to give Benson $8 million per year. The Mets' initial offer of $21 million over three years was generous enough. If GM Omar Minaya was patient, Benson would have ended up accepting it.
^^^ Newsday

Dodgers Signings:
Dodgers sign Ryan Rupe, Buddy Carlyle, Tydus Meadows, Jose Flores, Tony Schrager to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.

Kolo

Reaction score
Not a bad signing, if it's true, even if it is for two years. We need a veteran infielder, who can start if he has to or back up Gil if he develops or Drew if he ever signs. Cintron won't develop into an every day MLB shortstop in my opinion, so let's get a stop-gap until one of our young guys is ready.
Then again, my understanding is if we sign a Type A free agent we lose our first round pick. I hope I'm wrong, and I assume I am. If this is effectively a trade of Justin Upton for Royce Clayton, I'd be flabbergasted, even flummoxed.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:
Not a bad signing, if it's true, even if it is for two years. We need a veteran infielder, who can start if he has to or back up Gil if he develops or Drew if he ever signs. Cintron won't develop into an every day MLB shortstop in my opinion, so let's get a stop-gap until one of our young guys is ready.
Then again, my understanding is if we sign a Type A free agent we lose our first round pick. I hope I'm wrong, and I assume I am. If this is effectively a trade of Justin Upton for Royce Clayton, I'd be flabbergasted, even flummoxed.

No reason to sign him now - we don't need to give up a good draft pick for him. Just wait until Dec 7.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I don't believe you can lose a first round pick - at least not in the first 15 draft positions. Nevertheless, losing any pick for this tired fungible is not smart, so why are we sounding surprised Joe will do exactly that?
Two years - once again the contract will be for too much and too long. They'll tell us how wunnerful it is that he lives in the Valley. Like we care.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I don't believe you can lose a first round pick - at least not in the first 15 draft positions. Nevertheless, losing any pick for this tired fungible is not smart, so why are we sounding surprised Joe will do exactly that?
Two years - once again the contract will be for too much and too long. They'll tell us how wunnerful it is that he lives in the Valley. Like we care.

You cant... The Rockies would get a supplemental pick. So we lose nothing, but give the Rockies an extra draft pick.... which would be stupid. I doubt anyone else wants this guy.... cant understand why we would want him. :shrug:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
You cant... The Rockies would get a supplemental pick. So we lose nothing, but give the Rockies an extra draft pick.... which would be stupid. I doubt anyone else wants this guy.... cant understand why we would want him. :shrug:

I understand why we would want Clayton however he's not worth a pick if he's offered arbitration by the Rockies. He can't hit but he has a good glove and last year between Cintron and Hairston our defense up the middle was embarrasingly bad.

Clayton is a Type A free agent so if he is offered arbitration by the Rockies and we still sign him we're looking at losing our 1st round selection and the Rockies gaining a supplemental first. Like Jon said, wait to see if Clayton is offered arbitartion and if he is, look elsewhere. If he isn't, bring him in although the market for shortstops is so high right now we'll probably end up overpaying.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Clayton is a Type A free agent so if he is offered arbitration by the Rockies and we still sign him we're looking at losing our 1st round selection and the Rockies gaining a supplemental first.

Right but we cant lose a pick in the top 15... so our Number 1 pick is safe. However, I am not sure whether we lose our 2nd round pick or if the Rockies just get a supplmental pick or maybe 2 of them...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
However, I am not sure whether we lose our 2nd round pick or if the Rockies just get a supplmental pick or maybe 2 of them...

We'd lose our second round pick then. Our 2003 2nd round pick was Carlos Quentin and our 2004 2nd round pick was Jon Zeringue, who according to Zen tore up High-A in his rookie campaign. Would either of these guys be worth a Royce Clayton?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
We'd lose our second round pick then. Our 2003 2nd round pick was Carlos Quentin and our 2004 2nd round pick was Jon Zeringue, who according to Zen tore up High-A in his rookie campaign. Would either of these guys be worth a Royce Clayton?

Nope. If we trade Randy, and don't sign Sexton, what is the point of bringing in an old shortstop anyway?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Nope. If we trade Randy, and don't sign Sexton, what is the point of bringing in an old shortstop anyway?

We do need a stopgap from now until Drew gets to the bigs which would likely be as early as September '05 if he's anything like his big brother. I think trading Johnson and letting Sexson go will give us the money to sign Drew, which in my mind maybe not has been as much of a priority as it needs to considering he was the consensus best position prospect in the draft, but I digress.

If this is a one-year contract with a team option for two, then I'm okay with that but Royce Clayton is not worth a high draft pick. Of course neither was Greg Swindell and Russ Springer but Joe Jr. went ahead and signed those two bums anyways and cost us a respective 1st and 2nd round pick. So I guess with Joe Jr, you just never know.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

Our 2003 Second Rounder was Jamie D'Antona, but the point is very valid. If we do lose a pick for this (which I dont know that we do, not sure how that works out with our protected pick), then its definately not worth it to sign him now. Id like to see him maybe platoon with Cintron, but not at that price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard