The Official Hot Stove thread

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Ortiz News:
Agent Tony Cabral said Tuesday that Tampa Bay has "legitimate interest" in two of his firm's clients, Russ Ortiz and Esteban Loaiza.
Nothing drives up prices like having the Rays involved. Despite his history of strong winning percentages, Ortiz isn't being treated as one of the elite free-agent pitchers. At this rate, he might actually turn out to be a pretty good signing.
^^^ St. Petersburg Times

David Weathers News:
Free agent David Weathers said he's been contacted by eight teams.
He didn't name names, but the Marlins are one of the teams. Florida is also looking at Rudy Seanez and Antonio Alfonseca.
^^^ South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Rudy Seanez News:
Free agent Rudy Seanez has received interest from the Marlins, Phillies and Padres.
Seanez lives about 90 minutes from San Diego, so if the Padres offer a major league deal, he'll be very tempted to take it. The 36-year-old Seanez said he'd retire rather than accept a minor league deal.
^^^ South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Damian Jackson News:
Padres signed infielder Damian Jackson to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Jackson is returning to the team which gave him nearly 1,200 at-bats over a three-year span from 1999-2001. He won't get that kind of playing time now, but he can be a useful 25th man.
^^^ San Diego Union-Tribune

Jermaine Dye News:
The Giants would like to add either Jermaine Dye or Steve Finley to their outfield.
Finley is the top choice, but he might be out of reach. If Dye is signed, Marquis Grissom would stay in center field and Michael Tucker would become a reserve. Moises Alou isn't being mentioned at all.
^^^ San Jose Mercury News

A.J. Pierzynski News:
Giants assistant GM Ned Colletti said that the team hopes to avoid arbitration with A.J. Pierzynski and sign him to a multiyear contract.
A trade is still a possibility here. The Giants still want an outfielder, and they could free up quite a bit of money by moving Pierzynski and going with Yorvit Torrealba behind the plate.
^^^ San Jose Mercury News

Javier Vazquez News:
The Yankees have looked at acquiring Alfonso Soriano from the Rangers for Javier Vazquez in order to use him in a Randy Johnson deal.
Maybe this would work if the Diamondbacks prefer Soriano to Vazquez. As is, we're not sure they would. The Diamondbacks seem to really like the idea of using Alex Cintron at second and Soriano isn't interested in moving to the outfield.
^^^ Newark Star-Ledger

Richie Sexson News:
Richie Sexson and agent Casey Close still plan a response this week to the contract the Diamondbacks offered on Friday.
Sexson has been vacationing in Mexico, resulting in the delay. "Casey said he had some ideas that he wanted to come back to me with, but obviously not until he's talked to Richie," Diamondbacks GM Joe Garagiola Jr. said.
^^^ Arizona Republic

Jason Varitek News:
Varitek on Tuesday broke his silence on contract talks, telling reporters "I can say that things are working. We're communicating pretty well and things are positive. We need our people and their people to continue communicating." Though he declined to discuss specifics of the talks -- he has asked for $55 million over five years with a no-trade clause -- he made it clear he considers a long-term contract crucial. "We have discussed multiple times how important staying in one place is and being able to take that home to my family," he said. "This is your only shot to be able to do that. I'm not going to bash back and forth, but they know how important that is to me." Another negotiating session between the Sox and Pedro is scheduled for later this week. Meanwhile, ESPN's Peter Gammons reported Tuesday the Angels are interested in signing Varitek to a four-year contract.
^^^ Boston Globe

Damian Miller News:
It seems the Sox have at least started to make contingency plans in case they can't re-sign Jason Varitek. The Boston Herald reported Wednesday that, according to agent Bob Garber, the Sox yesterday made a two-year offer to the 35-year-old Miller. The catcher "is seeking a three-year commitment and is expected to meet with other teams this week before a possible meeting in Boston next week. Garber would not disclose specific terms of the Red Sox' offer, but the catcher earned a base salary of $3 million with Oakland in 2004, the second of a two-year contract. That suggests the Sox' total offer likely is in the range of $6.5 million to $7 million for the two years. Garber stressed Miller hopes to sign a three-year contract, and that his client will not immediately accept the Red Sox' offer." If Miller did sign that contract, it would likely mean the end of Varitek's tenure in Boston.
^^^ Boston Globe

AZZenny

Reaction score
Another way to think of it - we got Carlos Quentin as the Mariner's low first-round pick when they signed (ahem) Greg Colbrun. Their fans still chafed over that one a year later. :D
Now - is there any reason why we would not offer Sexson arbitration? Get ourselves a pick that way? Worst case, we have him for a year, but that won't ever happen.

All in all, we seem to do better with draft picks than FA, so I'd rather we hoard our draft picks and let Mike Rizzo go on a shopping spree.

Soriano - NO.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Another way to think of it - we got Carlos Quentin as the Mariner's low first-round pick when they signed (ahem) Greg Colbrun. Their fans still chafed over that one a year later. :D
Now - is there any reason why we would not offer Sexson arbitration? Get ourselves a pick that way? Worst case, we have him for a year, but that won't ever happen.

All in all, we seem to do better with draft picks than FA, so I'd rather we hoard our draft picks and let Mike Rizzo go on a shopping spree.

Soriano - NO.

Yeah, Id rather have Vazquez + prospects or whatever instead of Soriano.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Yeah, Id rather have Vazquez + prospects or whatever instead of Soriano.

Agreed... plus we have Hariston.... We need pitching.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Sexson is a Type A free agent so we'd get two picks if we offer him arbitration. I don't see why we wouldn't considering our initial goal was to get him for a one year deal anyway. From all indications it looks like the Mariners will be giving us another pick.

I'm with you guys, no to Soriano and Vazquez. Even putting Alfonso in the Ballpark in Arlington didn't help his gradual statistical decline. Vazquez's talent is intriguing but his 6.92 ERA after the All-Star break screams caution especially at $10 million per year. The White Sox offer is the most tempting but I doubt we'll ever see RJ on the SouthSide. The Cardinals offer is pretty intriguing as well although very ballsy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mantei a Cub?

Shortly after hearing the news on Percival, who was scheduled to meet Friday with the Cubs, Hendry got an unexpected overture from free agent Matt Mantei, who made a sales pitch for a one-year deal.

Once a hard-throwing righty, Mantei has been injured in recent years. He underwent reconstructive elbow surgery in 2001 but bounced back with 29 saves and a 2.62 ERA for the Diamondbacks in 2003. Last season, a bone spur in Mantei's right shoulder required surgery in June, and he was limited to 12 games. He went 0-3 with four saves in seven chances and an 11.81 ERA.

Though the Cubs must do their homework on Mantei, Hendry was impressed by the 31-year-old's character and pitching tools. And if Mantei, who earned $7 million last season, wants a deal with the Cubs as badly as he says, it just might work out for both sides.

''Matt lives in Sawyer, Mich., about 1-1/2 hours from Chicago, and the Cubs are his first choice,'' said Bob Garber, Mantei's Hinsdale-based agent. ''We aren't looking to break the bank.''

Garber said the White Sox also have expressed interest in Mantei, but the pitcher prefers the Cubs.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Sexson is a Type A free agent so we'd get two picks if we offer him arbitration. I don't see why we wouldn't considering our initial goal was to get him for a one year deal anyway. From all indications it looks like the Mariners will be giving us another pick.

I'm with you guys, no to Soriano and Vazquez. Even putting Alfonso in the Ballpark in Arlington didn't help his gradual statistical decline. Vazquez's talent is intriguing but his 6.92 ERA after the All-Star break screams caution especially at $10 million per year. The White Sox offer is the most tempting but I doubt we'll ever see RJ on the SouthSide. The Cardinals offer is pretty intriguing as well although very ballsy.

What were the rumored Cardinal and White Sox offerings?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
What were the rumored Cardinal and White Sox offerings?

Cardinals supposedly offered Danny Haren, Rick Ankiel, and Kiko Calero. Like I said very ballsy because the trade will be deemed successful or not dependant on Ankiel's head. Remember, after Ankiel's rookie year and before the disastrous NLDS, people were reserving a spot for him in Cooperstown due to his stuff being so good. Haren would be a #3 for the next decade and even Kalero maybe would step into the rotation but Ankiel would be the wild card.

The White Sox deal is Jon Garland, Paul Konerko, and a minor league OF rumored to be Brian Anderson who played at UofA for RJ. Apparently we also asked for Aaron Rowand instead of the minor leaguer but didn't hear or no or yes but it's highly unlikely they trade us all three of those guys. Konerko essentially replaces Sexson and Garland is a 200+ horse who's pretty talented as well. Look for this trade to not happen though as I seriously doubt Johnson wants to play for the White Sox.

The Angels also recently just got into the bidding in a three-way with the Marlins. The Marlins have some 1B that Joe Jr. loves who scouts can't decide if he's the next Jim Thome or the next Russell Branyan. Marlins would get Jose Guillen and the DBacks would get the aforementioned 1B and most likely Jarrod Washburn or John Lackey plus one other player. There's not many leaks in the Angels front office so expect names involved in this deal to remain very quiet. Somehow I still see a deal with the Angels as being very unlikely just because their GM is so conservative and Joe Jr. is going to want to make a splash.

Other teams not to count out are the Dodgers if they can't re-sign Beltre, the Red Sox if they whiff on three of Pedro, Pavano, Varitek, and Radke, and the previously discussed Yankees.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
The White Sox deal is Jon Garland, Paul Konerko, and a minor league OF rumored to be Brian Anderson who played at UofA for RJ. Apparently we also asked for Aaron Rowand instead of the minor leaguer but didn't hear or no or yes but it's highly unlikely they trade us all three of those guys. Konerko essentially replaces Sexson and Garland is a 200+ horse who's pretty talented as well. Look for this trade to not happen though as I seriously doubt Johnson wants to play for the White Sox.

The Angels also recently just got into the bidding in a three-way with the Marlins. The Marlins have some 1B that Joe Jr. loves who scouts can't decide if he's the next Jim Thome or the next Russell Branyan. Marlins would get Jose Guillen and the DBacks would get the aforementioned 1B and most likely Jarrod Washburn or John Lackey plus one other player. There's not many leaks in the Angels front office so expect names involved in this deal to remain very quiet. Somehow I still see a deal with the Angels as being very unlikely just because their GM is so conservative and Joe Jr. is going to want to make a splash.

Other teams not to count out are the Dodgers if they can't re-sign Beltre, the Red Sox if they whiff on three of Pedro, Pavano, Varitek, and Radke, and the previously discussed Yankees.

I dont understand why we seem to be pursuing more OF/1B prospects in these deals...thats already our strength!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
I dont understand why we seem to be pursuing more OF/1B prospects in these deals...thats already our strength!

The trade would include a 1B and a starter along with a prospect (pitching).

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Placido Polanco News:
The Red Sox have had discussions with Placido Polanco's agent, the Boston Herald reports.
The Herald speculates that the Red Sox are interested in signing Polanco as a backup at second and third, but we can't see that happening. More likely is that he's being viewed as a potential regular shortstop. He could handle the position for one year and then maybe move elsewhere to make room for Hanley Ramirez in 2006. Still, he's probably not their top option to fill the role. The Red Sox have some interest in re-signing Orlando Cabrera and haven't ruled out making a run at Edgar Renteria.
^^^ Boston Globe

Henry Blanco News:
The Twins reportedly have offered Henry Blanco a two-year, $1.8 million contract.
It looks like that isn't going to be enough to get a deal done. "A large number of clubs have expressed more than casual interest in Henry," agent,Steve Schneider said. "I have told (the Twins) I need to allow other teams … to make their offers so we can evaluate his options. Many have. Others have said they will next week." The Twins should probably be thinking about moving on. There's no need for them to give a multiyear deal to a backup catcher.
^^^ St. Paul Pioneer Press

Matt Clement News:
The Blue Jays have told agent Barry Axelrod that Matt Clement is their priority free agent.
Still, they may not be too aggressive in trying to hammer out a deal, as they'd prefer to see whether the Cubs offer arbitration. If the Blue Jays do sign Clement to join Roy Halladay, Ted Lilly and David Bush in the rotation, it makes it quite a bit more likely that Miguel Batista will be used as a closer.
^^^ Toronto Globe and Mail

Jered Weaver News:
Jered Weaver, the 12th overall pick in the 2004 draft, remains confident that he and the Angels will agree to terms.
"I'm not really worried about it," Weaver said. "It's going to get done, it's just a matter of time." Weaver is believed to be seeking a package similar to the $10.5 million deal Mark Prior received after being drafted. The Angels are probably thinking about something closer to half that amount.
^^^ Los Angeles Times

David Dellucci News:
Free agent David Dellucci is believed to be weighing proposals from the Rangers, Diamondbacks, Rockies and Devil Rays.
Dellucci is safe to sign now, as no compensation would be awarded. If any team decides to go to two years, it will probably get him.
^^^ Denver Post

Andy Tracy News:
Rockies re-signed infielder Andy Tracy to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Tracy spent September in the majors after hitting .315 with 33 HR and 120 RBI for Triple-A Colorado Springs. He could take Mark Sweeney's spot on the bench should Sweeney head to San Diego.
^^^ Denver Post

Orlando Hernandez News:
Free agent Orlando Hernandez is feeling overlooked and he expects to get a two-year deal if he's going to stay with the Yankees.
The Yankees are looking at a lot of free agents and trying to re-sign Jon Lieber, leaving El Duque, who a month ago seemed almost certain to return, contemplating his future. "I would like to be come back to the Yankees," Hernandez said, "but I would like to also be respected more for my work and for them to begin appreciating what I do." The Red Sox tried to sign Hernandez last year and might do so again. The Phillies, Mets, Mariners, Marlins and Orioles are among the other teams that could have interest.
^^^ New York Post

Glendon Rusch News:
ESPN.com is reporting that the Cubs are close to re-signing Glendon Rusch to a one-year deal.
The Cubs just aren't interested in trusting youngsters with meaningful roles. Rusch was very good in a limited role last season, but 2005 might be a different story.
^^^ espn.com

Chris Young News:
Chris Young's three-year deal with the Rangers is expected to be announced on Friday.
In return for not jumping to the NBA, Young will get a three-year, $1.5 million contract with an option for a fourth year.
^^^ Dallas Morning News

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Royce Clayton - SS - COL

According to the Arizona Republic, the Diamondbacks are still talking to shortstops Royce Clayton and Craig Counsell.
Speculation is that there's already a two-year deal in place with Clayton, though it won't become official until after the Dec. 7 arbitration deadline. Nov. 19 - 1:51 pm et

Thats good... looks like they dont want to give up a draft pick.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Angels just traded Jose Guillen for Juan Rivera and Maicer Izturis who happens to be Cesar's brother. It seems to be a step down considering names the Angels have asked for this winter include Jose Reyes and Angel Berroa. But it got me thinking. Rivera can play CF and Izturis, like his brother, is supposedly a good glove up the middle which are two things Joe Jr. is looking for this offseason.

Could we see these two packaged with Casey Kotchman and Jarrod Washburn or John Lackey for RJ?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Angels just traded Jose Guillen for Juan Rivera and Maicer Izturis who happens to be Cesar's brother. It seems to be a step down considering names the Angels have asked for this winter include Jose Reyes and Angel Berroa. But it got me thinking. Rivera can play CF and Izturis, like his brother, is supposedly a good glove up the middle which are two things Joe Jr. is looking for this offseason.

Could we see these two packaged with Casey Kotchman and Jarrod Washburn or John Lackey for RJ?
Not bad. Good thinking.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

I dont like Rivera... and we really dont need a shortstop... we have Santos and possibly Drew. However, I would love to have Kotch and wasburn is a okay 3rd starter.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
I dont like Rivera... and we really dont need a shortstop... we have Santos and possibly Drew. However, I would love to have Kotch and wasburn is a okay 3rd starter.

I don't think this trade will actually happen I was just thinking aloud. And while you may not think we need a SS the powers that be certainly seem to think we do and that's why you hear all this Royce Clayton and Craig Counsell talk. Drew/Santos are still two years away and we're going to need a stopgap and Izturis can do that. Also 2B is still a big question in my mind because I have no faith in Cintron, Kata is awful, and Hairston is done at 2B. Izturis is supposed to be good enough around the bag and has enough experience to make that transition when Santos/Drew arrive.

While I have never liked Rivera either he did outproduce other rumored DBack OFs such as Kroeger, Terrero, and Kenny Lofton and he's only going to cost the league minimum. Kotchman would obviously be the centerpiece of the deal and if I were the D-Backs I'd want Lackey over Washburn.

Kolo

Reaction score
For what it's worth--and I know it isn't much--Gambo and Ash just "reported" that the Cardinals alleged offer is a fiction, created by media in St. Louis. The offer has not been made, and in their opinion wouldn't get the Unit to St. Louis. They also "reported" that not only would the Diamondbacks have virtually no interest in Konerko (how insightful), and the Unit would never accept a trade to the White Sox (ibid.).

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:
For what it's worth--and I know it isn't much--Gambo and Ash just "reported" that the Cardinals alleged offer is a fiction, created by media in St. Louis. The offer has not been made, and in their opinion wouldn't get the Unit to St. Louis. They also "reported" that not only would the Diamondbacks have virtually no interest in Konerko (how insightful), and the Unit would never accept a trade to the White Sox (ibid.).

Gambo's a clown and a hack. Every time RJ rumors get brought up he downgrades them in cmoparison to a potential Yankee deal. Last summer, he thought the D-Backs should accept Contreras and prospects. This winter, it's the same crap except with Vazquez and prospects. I doubt this ******* would encourage the Yankees to trade away their best pitcher for mediocre prospects and a pitcher owed 3 years and $36 million with a second half ERA of 6.92 but somehow he gets away with encouraging the D-Backs to do just that.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Yep! Well-said!

Now, need some help - I KNOW I saw a list very recently of DBacks' minor leaguers who needed to be put on the 40-man or lost, and today they put several guys on -
righthanded pitchers Jason Bulger, Enrique Gonzalez, Dustin Nippert, Ramon Antonio Pena, and Justin Wechsler; lefthanded pitcher Bill Murphy; and outfielder Marland Williams. Outrighted DeVore, Olson, and Green to Tucson - but it seemed to me there were some other guys who needed to be covered or be potentially lost and I can't find it. What I am curious about 1) is when Corey Myers has to be covered - we drafted him in 99 out of HS - doesn't that make this five years? 2) where's the list of who other teams have left uncovered?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Gambo's a clown and a hack. Every time RJ rumors get brought up he downgrades them in cmoparison to a potential Yankee deal.

i don't agree....gambo has only shot down silly rumors that most of us agree wouldn't be enough for a rj trade. name me one trade that gambo shot down that didn't deserve to be shot down. and also, gambo was shooting down the players offered, not the teams (except for the white socks who he nor i think rj would agree to go to).

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Except ones that involve the Yankees.

gambo shot down almost every rumor about the yankees during the season saying that the yanks didn't have the prospects to get it done. and so far this offseason the yankees actually have probably the best offer so far with vazquez and prospects.

and by the way, before people start getting the wrong idea about me, i hate the yankees and think that they are what's wrong with baseball....... i just think gambo gets a bad rap sometimes.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gabe Kapler News:
Boston Dirt Dogs is reporting that Gabe Kapler has signed a one-year, $2 million contract to play with the Yomiuri Giants of Japan.
It was thought that Kapler might want to go to a team willing to offer him more playing time, but Japan? Surprising news if true.
^^^ Bostondirtdogs.com

Pedro Martinez News:
Baseball sources told several media outlets in New York that the Yankees have offered (or plan to offer, depending on which media outlet you believe) Pedro a four-year, $50 million deal. The Yankees have strongly denied that. The Boston Globe reported this weekend that Martinez was believed to be seeking a deal that effectively guarantees him three years and at least $40 million. Meanwhile, the New York Times reported Sunday that, according to a source, Pedro was seeking a four-year deal worth $60 million. That's quite a disparity between reports.
^^^ Boston Globe

Tim Hudson News:
It's no secret Billy Beane will likely try and move one of his Big Three (Hudson, Mark Mulder and Barry Zito) this offseason, but you might be surprised by which of the three he's most likely to deal, according to a report. Newsday reported that, according to a source familiar with the A's thinking, Beane will listen most closely to offers for Hudson, who had the best season of the three. According to the report, "rather than unload one of his struggling lefties, Beane could sell high on Hudson, with whom he has not held any significant talks for a contract extension. Furthermore, Beane might decide that he'd rather not lose Hudson for mere draft picks, as he did with Jason Giambi and Miguel Tejada. It would be better to get something more significant in return. Though the Yankees and Red Sox would seem the natural suitors for Hudson's services, Beane told The Record of Hackensack that a deal with either club would be 'almost impossible' given the teams' lack of good, young players. For potential suitors, think about the Angels, Marlins, Phillies and Cardinals.
^^^ Boston Globe

Al Leiter News:
According to the Miami Herald, the Marlins are believed to have offered Leiter -- who pitched on the Marlins' 1997 World Series team -- a one-year contract in the $7 million range. The Newark Star-Ledger reported that the Marlins have also spoken to the pitcher about eventually assuming duties as a television broadcaster following his retirement.
^^^ Boston Globe

Randy Johnson News:
Both sides have now chimed in on the Johnson sweepstakes. The D-Backs last week informed Johnson's agents they were going to try to deal Johnson, and Johnson's agents have now said Randy wants to be dealt: "Randy's desire to leave isn't because he does not want to remain a Diamondback," said one of his agents, Alan Nero, at the Big Unit's annual charity golf tournament Nov. 19. "At this stage of his career, he's got some milestones he'd like to achieve, and he's a competitor. When you work as hard as he does at age 40, it's hard to come to the yard and not feel like you have the best chance of competing." ... According to the New York Post, Arizona GM Joe Garagiola Jr. told Randy Johnson's agents he would try to move Johnson. The Post went on to report "Garagiola won't ask for pre-approval from Johnson before seeking a trade with a certain team, but he knows there are very few places the 41-year-old lefty would agree to. The Yankees are still atop that list."
^^^ Boston Globe

Hanley Ramirez News:
Hanley Ramirez tripled, doubled, walked and scored three times for Licey of the Dominican Winter League yesterday.
Ramirez is batting .274 with 4 HR, 12 RBI, 18/7 K/BB and 3 SB in 84 AB for Licey. It's probably not going to happen, but with the way he played in Double-A over the final month of the minor league season and what he's doing now, he's making a case for starting next season in Triple-A.
^^^ rotoworld.com

Jae Seo News:
Feeling that he no longer fits in on the team, Jae Seo is hoping for a trade away from the Mets.
"I told my agent that I want to play for a team that really needs me and where I can start regularly," Seo said. "It is not very important whether it is in the United States or in Korea." The Mets surely will consider moving Seo if any teams ask about him this winter. If he's kept, he'd compete for a spot as a middle reliever.
^^^ Korean Times

Marlins Sign A Few:
Marlins re-signed OF Mike Colangelo, INF Drew Niles, OF Jimmy Shanks and INF Jimmy Goelz to minor league contracts.
Colangelo is the only player here with major league experiences. The rest are career minor leaguers. Colangelo, 28, hit .325/.422/.569 in 97 games for Triple-A Albuquerque last season, showing that he still deserves consideration for a bench job in the majors. If not for injuries, he would have had one long ago.
^^^ Rio Rancher Observer

Washington Nationals? News:
Club president Tony Tavarez announced today that the Montreal Expos would be renamed the Washington Nationals if the proposed move of the franchise is approved by baseball owners.
A vote is "expected" by early next month, but who ever really knows with MLB? It's believed the Nationals name is only temporary. The new ownership may choose to change it later on.
^^^ rotoworld.com

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Arizona Diamondbacks might be reaching the end of their negotiating rope with free agent first baseman Richie Sexson, according to the Arizona Republic.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arizona has presented two proposals to the first baseman, a three-year deal and another for at least four or five years, worth an average salary of at least $10 million.

Both offers still include injury provisions on Sexson's left shoulder, where part of his salary, at least early in the contract, will be based on games played and/or plate appearances.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sexson initially balked at any injury clause, leading the D'Backs to tweak their offer.

Quote:
However, to ease Sexson's concerns that another potential injury could sabotage his earning potential, the Diamondbacks decided to tie all non-guaranteed pay directly to his shoulder.

Essentially, Sexson could sustain a season-ending injury to any other area of his body and still draw a paycheck. However, if he loses any significant playing time as a result of continuing shoulder problems, Sexson will not be paid.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard