The Official Brighton and Hove Albion Thread

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
That's what I figured. BHA would be daft to let him go otherwise.
The fan base seems be to resigned to getting guys cheap, having them give us 2 or so good years, and then selling them on at a huge profit. Caciedo is a year ahead of the curve, and won't be long until Evan Ferguson is the talk of the transfer window. As long as you can rinse and repeat long enough it usually works out for awhile, but eventually catches up with you.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The fan base seems be to resigned to getting guys cheap, having them give us 2 or so good years, and then selling them on at a huge profit. Caciedo is a year ahead of the curve, and won't be long until Evan Ferguson is the talk of the transfer window. As long as you can rinse and repeat long enough it usually works out for awhile, but eventually catches up with you.
Ask Southampton how it worked out. Granted, theirs was cycling academy products rather than cheap signings, but still. You never end up with a good squad--or, if you have a good squad, it's soon no good any longer. It's what happened to Newcastle the year after making the Euros under Pardew.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ask Southampton how it worked out. Granted, theirs was cycling academy products rather than cheap signings, but still. You never end up with a good squad--or, if you have a good squad, it's soon no good any longer. It's what happened to Newcastle the year after making the Euros under Pardew.
Southampton's goal was only to just stay in the league. Their academy has been the best in the league the past 20 years, so you'd expect them to be able to keep churning. They got caught playing chicken

Just like Burnley, I don't see them staying in the Championship longer than this year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Southampton's goal was only to just stay in the league. Their academy has been the best in the league the past 20 years, so you'd expect them to be able to keep churning. They got caught playing chicken

Just like Burnley, I don't see them staying in the Championship longer than this year.
We'll see. BHA has done it to perfection thus far, but they, too, are playing a game of chicken. If they can scratch out another European place next season, they might be able to stabilize it and stop being a feeder club. I hope they do. I quite enjoyed the dramatic Newcastle/BHA rivalry from year's past.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see. BHA has done it to perfection thus far, but they, too, are playing a game of chicken. If they can scratch out another European place next season, they might be able to stabilize it and stop being a feeder club. I hope they do. I quite enjoyed the dramatic Newcastle/BHA rivalry from year's past.
I want Sunderland to make it back up. Don't see that happening any time soon.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel like BHA is trying to be a better version of Southampton. We don't seem afraid to splash around some money to fill needs (e.g., Joao Pedro and Mahmoud Dahoud this window - plus probably a couple more to come) and taking a chance on players past their primes (e.g., Wellbeck, Lallana, and now Milner) hoping to get something out of them, but being a feeder for high price young talent is hard cycle to break.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
P.S. - Keep an eye on Evan Ferguson as the future big Brighton player to attract major high-dollar interest from the Big Six. He's an 18 year old striker who already having success in the EPL last year (6 goals in 19 appearances - and 4 in 7 games in cup games), and could set our all-time sell record if he continues developing.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
P.S. - Keep an eye on Evan Ferguson as the future big Brighton player to attract major high-dollar interest from the Big Six. He's an 18 year old striker who already having success in the EPL last year (6 goals in 19 appearances - and 4 in 7 games in cup games), and could set our all-time sell record if he continues developing.
Yeah, he looked great last season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any England striker worth a damn is worth 50% more in England vs the rest of the world due to the home grown rules. It will be interesting to see his development.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
We got our keeper target Bart Verbruggen, who ManU had interest in. Very likely means that Robert Sanchez is out, which was expected.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Brighton playing hardball with Chelsea on Caciedo, rejecting an 80M GPB bid. I suspect he'll end up there when all is said and done, but we are going to get close to the 100M GPB valuation we have on him. Of course we'd lower that if they'd throw Levi Cowill (who we had on loan last year) into the deal, but they seem dead set against moving him.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Brighton playing hardball with Chelsea on Caciedo, rejecting an 80M GPB bid. I suspect he'll end up there when all is said and done, but we are going to get close to the 100M GPB valuation we have on him. Of course we'd lower that if they'd throw Levi Cowill (who we had on loan last year) into the deal, but they seem dead set against moving him.
Wow, that's a ton of scratch to turn down! Chelsea just had a major injury, so they might get desperate to get his done.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Wow, that's a ton of scratch to turn down! Chelsea just had a major injury, so they might get desperate to get his done.
Yeah, Fofana is a defender vs Caciedo being a CM/CDM, but definitely a big blow for Chelsea. If anything, probably makes it even less likely will can pry Colwill from them in the deal.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Agree on Luton.. Their situation reminds me a lot of Brighton when we came up and most had us pegged to finish last that first season. Not sure they’ve done enough to survive the initial campaign, but with a new stadium on the way it would be a good story if they had some staying power.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe they bought Mitoma for 2.7M. If he keeps it up, he is going to go somewhere for 40 or 50M.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard