The Official Brighton and Hove Albion Thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
All of this weekend’s PL fixtures have been postponed due to mourning HM Elizabeth

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
All of this weekend’s PL fixtures have been postponed due to mourning HM Elizabeth
Not to minimize the Queen's death, but this decision has a major impact on the PL. For teams like West Ham needing a win and with maybe a favorable situational matchup, it's bad news. For teams that played in Europe this week, it means more rest. For Newcastle, it's a huge chance to get some stars healed up.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Not to minimize the Queen's death, but this decision has a major impact on the PL. For teams like West Ham needing a win and with maybe a favorable situational matchup, it's bad news. For teams that played in Europe this week, it means more rest. For Newcastle, it's a huge chance to get some stars healed up.
definitely, for spurs it helps them recover and they were going into a difficult match at the Etihad. but this has an impact on the entire league and Europe because there are mid week UCL matches next week. interestingly last season there were some fixtures cancelled because of covid, I can't remember how many, but Arsenal bailed out of their away/reverse fixture against spurs. spurs were mad about it at the time, but it actually worked out in their favor because they were able to catch arsenal from behind with a late flurry of victories. of corse Newcastle helped decide it at the end as well.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
definitely, for spurs it helps them recover and they were going into a difficult match at the Etihad. but this has an impact on the entire league and Europe because there are mid week UCL matches next week. interestingly last season there were some fixtures cancelled because of covid, I can't remember how many, but Arsenal bailed out of their away/reverse fixture against spurs. spurs were mad about it at the time, but it actually worked out in their favor because they were able to catch arsenal from behind with a late flurry of victories. of corse Newcastle helped decide it at the end as well.
They said they may even cancel next week's fixtures. Um, why?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
They said they may even cancel next week's fixtures. Um, why?
well there is a 10 day mourning period and I believe her funeral will be held on the 10th or 11th day. According the the UK.Gov website there is no obligation for sport organizations to cancel their games, but it is recommended for them to adjust their schedule on the day of the state funeral out of respect.

since they already canceled this weekend's fixtures, I imagine at a minimum they would reset the fixtures that occur on the day of the funeral. I don't know why they would cancel all of the matches though, unless they are really set on not playing during the 10 day mourning period. They could possibly do all of next week's fixtures on the day before or the day after the funeral, but that could conflict with the UEFA schedule. with all of this said I don't know how any of this would affect this next week's UEFA fixtures. any other PL game postponements would probably have to extend the season on the back end with the WC looming.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
well there is a 10 day mourning period and I believe her funeral will be held on the 10th or 11th day. According the the UK.Gov website there is no obligation for sport organizations to cancel their games, but it is recommended for them to adjust their schedule on the day of the state funeral out of respect.

since they already canceled this weekend's fixtures, I imagine at a minimum they would reset the fixtures that occur on the day of the funeral. I don't know why they would cancel all of the matches though, unless they are really set on not playing during the 10 day mourning period. They could possibly do all of next week's fixtures on the day before or the day after the funeral, but that could conflict with the UEFA schedule. with all of this said I don't know how any of this would affect this next week's UEFA fixtures. any other PL game postponements would probably have to extend the season on the back end with the WC looming.
Oh, gotcha. Now that makes sense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Liverpool got this weekend's game against Chelsea postponed too. I'm glad as well. They aren't playing well and they could heal up as well.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
And we have a manager! Roberto De Zerbi. I obviously don't know much about him, but it sounds like he has been praised for his tactics and overachieving recently. Can't blame him for wanting to get out of the Ukraine league either!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
And we have a manager! Roberto De Zerbi. I obviously don't know much about him, but it sounds like he has been praised for his tactics and overachieving recently. Can't blame him for wanting to get out of the Ukraine league either!

Are you happy about the appointment? Ambivalent, upset? I'm curious about him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully he likes the appointment a little less on Saturday after Liverpool beat them. :)

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Hopefully he likes the appointment a little less on Saturday after Liverpool beat them. :)
I like the appointment just fine thank you!

Weird game where anytime you blow a two goal lead you feel like 2 points lossed, but a comeback draw at Anfield in your new coach’s debut feels like a point gained.

Those Trossard to Chelsea rumors should be picking up major steam now!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the appointment just fine thank you!

Weird game where anytime you blow a two goal lead you feel like 2 points lossed, but a comeback draw at Anfield in your new coach’s debut feels like a point gained.

Those Trossard to Chelsea rumors should be picking up major steam now!
You definitely didn't deserve to lose, that's for sure. I think Liverpool has allowed the opposing team to score first in every game this year. Their defense just isn't what it was anymore. Even Van Dijk isn't the same player this year.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
About to take on Brentford. I hate to say this, because I like BHA a lot--Newcastle's old rivals from the Championship!--but I have to start rooting against the Seagulls. I mean, if both our teams were guaranteed a European spot, maybe it would be different, but we're battling in the same rarified air. Howe-way the lads and all that :)

How about I hope yinz do great and make Europe--but finish one spot behind the Mags ;)

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I’m not a blame the refs guy, but Brighton absolutely got jobbed by the refs in this one!
That's what I heard. Mate, it's the refs and the big six striking again. They tried to do in Newcastle too. And they've helped Spurs and tried to help Man U. Same situation as yesterday, only a Man U player kicks Schar in the head? No penalty. Yesterday Isak kicks a Brentford player in the stomach? OMG, penalty! If it weren't for the Big 6 connection, I'd say it's just horrible officiating inconsistency, but this feels like Brighton and Newcastle have been targeted here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson