The Official 2014 World Cup Thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Bradley has run more and covered more ground than any other player in the tourney. Also, his passing %'s have still been higher than Jones.

It shows how much we expect from him to think his tourney has been poor. As the tip of our diamond, the dude is playing both ways. And doing it with a ton of effort.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is more of the approach i would take with Bradley. Yes he's had some bad moments and I thought the Ghana game was his worst. But overall i think we can see some positives in his game and they managed to escape that group with him not being at his best. Hopefully he and the other players will improve.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
You don't agree? You think he's been good, or even average, on the ball? Sorry, but that opinion isn't validated by his play on the field. This doesn't take into account his two major gaffes against Portugal. His play has been very poor in this World Cup from a technical standpoint.

Then again, we do have to take into consideration those major gaffes against Portugal. He was ten yards clear when he tried to hold possession--ten yards clear of anyone with solid possession. You ABSOLUTELY bomb the ball down the field with less than a minute to play. That's basic soccer 101--anywhere will do at that point, putting it down field. So, first, he made the wrong play. Second, since he tried to possess the ball, he simply cannot give the ball up so easily. He did. He deserves to be bashed for it, just as Beasley deserves it on the play and the defenders too. Unfortunately, his was the first domino to fall in that play, without which the rest of it doesn't happen.

And let's not forget the tap-in he had for another goal earlier in the game. A complete sitter, and he hits it right at a defender. Unforgivable, truly.

And I did bash Cameron. I proclaimed our entire World Cup hopes dead because of his epic blunder. The only reason I'm talking about Bradley is because, unbelievably, you want to defend his play. He's stunk up the field. We don't have any other options, so we need to play him, I'll grant you that. We just need him to play the way we know he can. That's the frustrating part--he's a good player, but he's not playing like one right now.

Ok so if he bombs it out of bounds and they kick a ball into the box and score people would bash him for bombing and not holding. This is what fans do from the couch like it's so easy. I'm not letting him off the hook just simply saying he wasn't the only reason we tied. Maybe not on here so much but on social media people were making him out to be the villain. Ultimately you are right he should have been better than what he was there. For me it was his poor touch and if he could have recovered better it would have been different. I'm just sticking up for our player that I think is getting too much ridicule and could use some more support. You guys are great though and I appreciate the opportunity to chat with y'all.

Last edited:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ok so if he bombs it out of bounds and they kick a ball into the box and score people would bash him for bombing and not holding. This is what fans do from the couch like it's so easy. I'm not letting him off the hook just simply saying he wasn't the only reason we tied. Maybe not on here so much but on social media people were making him out to be the villain. Ultimately you are right he should have been better than what he was there. For me it was his poor touch and if he could have recovered better it would have been different. I'm just sticking up for our player that I think is getting too much ridicule and could use some more support. You guys are great though and I appreciate the opportunity to chat with y'all.

Even if he bombs it out of bounds and Portugal have a chance to boot into the box from wherever the throw in ends up, they would do so with a set defense. I think most people recognize there were more players at fault, particularly the guy responsible for the left side of the mid-field, as well as the back line that failed to communicate properly. But Bradley is a guy touted as one of the pillars of the team, along with Howard, Dempsey and Jozy. The spacing was abysmal during that last sequence, but he had a chance to first control the ball properly, and then shield the ball from the Portugese. I agree, he's not the only one to blame for that last goal, and maybe some of the criticism has been over the top, but as the star player (or one of them), more is naturally expected of him.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Even if he bombs it out of bounds and Portugal have a chance to boot into the box from wherever the throw in ends up, they would do so with a set defense. I think most people recognize there were more players at fault, particularly the guy responsible for the left side of the mid-field, as well as the back line that failed to communicate properly. But Bradley is a guy touted as one of the pillars of the team, along with Howard, Dempsey and Jozy. The spacing was abysmal during that last sequence, but he had a chance to first control the ball properly, and then shield the ball from the Portugese. I agree, he's not the only one to blame for that last goal, and maybe some of the criticism has been over the top, but as the star player (or one of them), more is naturally expected of him.

Yeah I agree that a set defense would have been in place for sure. I'm just saying if a goal goes in there people are going to look back no matter what. 2 on 5 in a counter should never be a goal. I think most of it had to do with the defense watching Ronaldo more than anything else. Even i thought Ronaldo was going to run at Beasley there and I think the defenders were thinking about that more than a cross. So there were a lot of elements in play there too many to blame just a couple of people.

My point is yes Bradley made an error but there was a lot afterward that happened that should not have.
It seems like he took the brunt of the blame for that goal and for me that wasn't fair. Now his other play in the tourney I agree it hasn't been great either. But I Im still hoping he comes around.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You say you've watched multiple games. Bradley has been one of our absolutely worst players in all 3 games and contributed to a majority of the problems we've had in those games. He may have a high work rate, which is great, but wins & points are what matter, and he is failing woefully at contributing to them.

He was NOT holding possession--he either was stripped of the ball (as in the Portugal game) when he should have just made a backpass or simply passed it to the other team (as he did several times in the Germany game). That is unacceptable at this level and ESPECIALLY from a guy who is generally thought of as the best player on the team.

This.

I just don't see the harsh bashing being deserved and I'm not saying y'all are being harsh but in general many fans are. Has he played well maybe not.... I think at times he has and at times has not. I've never looked at Bradley and thought he was some elite player that some suddenly expect him to be. I think he is a good player that works hard which is somewhat of a model of what our team is. Does he make mistakes? Yes he does so does everyone else on our team. I just don't see the point of singling him out over everyone else. Maybe I misinterpreted what y'all were posting if y'all were calling out the other players too for their mishaps.

He's had some good plays. His best game by far was the Portugal match, and he made some nice passes and almost got the ball through a few times. Problem is, he failed to score on a chip in and massively failed in possession, which led to the 2nd goal. That's a 2-goal differential, much of which falls on him. That could be a 3-1 victory, or a 2-1 victory, instead of a 2-2 draw.

And he has been an elite player before. He played lights out in the Bundesliga and in Serie A in times past, and he's played lights out for the national team too. Seeing how good he is and can be, and then seeing how terrible he's been in the World Cup, is killing me.

Not out of bounds, but down the field. Okay, perhaps out of bounds down the field. If Portugal somehow gets organized, takes a throw in, comes down the field and scores in roughly 45 seconds, it surely isn't Bradley's fault. I mean, not without another massive mistake anyway. It's the basic, correct soccer play in that situation. Don't get caught in possession in the middle of the pitch. If you don't have an open man, bomb the ball downfield.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This.

He's had some good plays. His best game by far was the Portugal match, and he made some nice passes and almost got the ball through a few times. Problem is, he failed to score on a chip in and massively failed in possession, which led to the 2nd goal. That's a 2-goal differential, much of which falls on him. That could be a 3-1 victory, or a 2-1 victory, instead of a 2-2 draw.

And he has been an elite player before. He played lights out in the Bundesliga and in Serie A in times past, and he's played lights out for the national team too. Seeing how good he is and can be, and then seeing how terrible he's been in the World Cup, is killing me.

Not out of bounds, but down the field. Okay, perhaps out of bounds down the field. If Portugal somehow gets organized, takes a throw in, comes down the field and scores in roughly 45 seconds, it surely isn't Bradley's fault. I mean, not without another massive mistake anyway. It's the basic, correct soccer play in that situation. Don't get caught in possession in the middle of the pitch. If you don't have an open man, bomb the ball downfield.

I agree about the goal I wanted him to blast it home too but I also thought he was unlucky. He had the keeper beat but the Portugal defense was just pure lucky there. I agree totally that the play there was costly. We needed that goal big time. And the last play i do agree that Bradley should have done better with the ball. If he clears it we probably win that game. I just wanted to make sure he isn't taking 100% of the blame.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah I agree that a set defense would have been in place for sure. I'm just saying if a goal goes in there people are going to look back no matter what. 2 on 5 in a counter should never be a goal. I think most of it had to do with the defense watching Ronaldo more than anything else. Even i thought Ronaldo was going to run at Beasley there and I think the defenders were thinking about that more than a cross. So there were a lot of elements in play there too many to blame just a couple of people.

My point is yes Bradley made an error but there was a lot afterward that happened that should not have.
It seems like he took the brunt of the blame for that goal and for me that wasn't fair. Now his other play in the tourney I agree it hasn't been great either. But I Im still hoping he comes around.

Not so much Ronaldo watching, but they were totally unbalanced. At the time Bradley lost the ball, the only player on the left side of the field (from US perspective) was Beasley. Very poor positioning lead to the quick outlet to Ronaldo, and at that point I think Beasly did what would be expected considering the time and place. Having said that, I blame Bradley a lot more because I expect a helluva lot more from him than anyone else in the midfield.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree about the goal I wanted him to blast it home too but I also thought he was unlucky. He had the keeper beat but the Portugal defense was just pure lucky there. I agree totally that the play there was costly. We needed that goal big time. And the last play i do agree that Bradley should have done better with the ball. If he clears it we probably win that game. I just wanted to make sure he isn't taking 100% of the blame.

Of course he isn't taking 100% of the blame, but he should shoulder a majority of it. Again, this is supposed to be our best player. Personally, it's very disappointing because I'm not a huge Dempsey fan, so that leaves Bradley as really the indisputable best player on the team. If your best player is to blame for a majority of the team's miscues, something is terribly wrong. It's to the point now that I almost expect if we don't survive against Belgium, part of the reason will probably be Michael Bradley. And that's a crappy way to think.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brazil vs. Chile goes to OT.

Brazil hasn't looked that great in the second half. Should be interesting.

Stout

Reaction score
Gutted for Chile. Made it all the way to penalties, which they'd have killed to get to before the match, and choke it away. Oh man, I wanted them to win. I hate Neymar. He's a little girl who simulates constantly to try to draw cards. I wanted Brazil out. Oh well.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very exciting game though! Couldn't ask for a better game to start of the elimination round.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man I'm so bummed. Historically, Brazil has owned Chile. They've knocked them out in the round of 16 in the last 3 World Cups that Chile has qualified for, and the previous 2 weren't pretty. I was excited, but also a little scared that they would get beat 3-0 again. I'm proud of my guys for how they played throughout, but man that stings.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Fifth penalty kick in a World Cup shoot-out. Walks to the spot, places the ball, runs up to shoot and... CLANG!... an entire nation will blame you for the next four years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gutted for Chile. Made it all the way to penalties, which they'd have killed to get to before the match, and choke it away. Oh man, I wanted them to win. I hate Neymar. He's a little girl who simulates constantly to try to draw cards. I wanted Brazil out. Oh well.

I truly believe that Colombia beats them. I dont think they have an answer for James Rodriguez. That kid has made himself millions of dollars this world cup.

Last edited:

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Was really cheering for CONCACAF. In a World Cup with so much crap goaltending, it was great to see a net-minder who could remain brave, resist opening their legs too wide, and on set pieces - get your hands away from your waste and keep them at shoulder height. Will miss watching Memo Ochoa guard the goal.

Stout

Reaction score
Mexico did well, played better than Netherlands for the biggest part.

Yeah, and I think their coach did them in. He took out his best striker and goal scorer, making it clear they were drawing back. That was a big mistake, conceding possession and total pressure to the Dutch. Sure, they brought in their super sub a while later, but too late to stem the tide. Mexico just dropped deep and stopped playing. Stupid idea. Even if the Dutch don't get the winner there, I think they would have gotten it in extra time.

In the end, I'm glad. I hate the Mexican national team, and I've always liked the Dutch. Van Gaal really set his team up to fail, but got the result in the end.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mexico just dropped deep and stopped playing. Stupid idea. Even if the Dutch don't get the winner there, I think they would have gotten it in extra time.

Totally agree. When Mexico stopped playing the deserved to lose. I was pulling for them until they got all conserative. You could just feel the Dutch wanted it more towards the end of that game. They earned the win.

Stout

Reaction score
Nigeria got royally screwed today. France should have been playing with 10 men for most of the second half. Matuidi should have been handed a straight red for that vicious challenge. The American ref only screwed one big call up, but by giving him only a yellow, he punished Nigeria and allowed the perpetrator to play on. Bad, bad call. Sure, Nigeria wilted once they gave up the goal, but if the ref does his job, I think Nigeria gets a goal and wins.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nigeria got royally screwed today. France should have been playing with 10 men for most of the second half. Matuidi should have been handed a straight red for that vicious challenge. The American ref only screwed one big call up, but by giving him only a yellow, he punished Nigeria and allowed the perpetrator to play on. Bad, bad call. Sure, Nigeria wilted once they gave up the goal, but if the ref does his job, I think Nigeria gets a goal and wins.

I wouldn't call it royally screwed. The challenge was definitely yellow + though. Going ahead a man doesn't mean anything. Look at Costa Rica. They were a man down almost an hour and still won on penalties.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it royally screwed. The challenge was definitely yellow + though. Going ahead a man doesn't mean anything. Look at Costa Rica. They were a man down almost an hour and still won on penalties.

Because Greece is so questionable offensively.

Stout

Reaction score
Man, I was rooting on Algeria. They gave it their best shot, and Germany didn't at all play well. Still, they pulled it out. Algeria-France would have been a fun match-up, but France-Germany should be a thriller.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson