The Official 2014 World Cup Thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So FIFA thought US would never advance, right? How else does US not have to play Brazil or Nethers now?

Yeah, we're actually going to have a decent matchup. Probably Belgium, who can be tough, but they haven't played well thus far, and really, there aren't many softies in the round of 16. Greece would have been nice, or a thrilling Costa Rica matchup. An Algeria win and Belgium loss will pit us against Algeria instead--I think. However you look at it, I think we have a definite chance of making the Quarterfinals.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, homer alert, the Italy red card should have been a no call based on how the game was being played/called.

:)

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Good work on getting through fellas.

Tough work coming up now but you never know.... Keep the faith :)

Oh and let's hope Jozy is back up and running soon, you miss the big man.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

one more try

Last edited by a moderator:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
My god you're pathetic at times. You're now arguing between the difference of a cinderella and dark horse team. Just admit they were brilliant to get out of the group. They deserved it through their play. Stopped two 'top' teams from playing their games.

Hahahaha yeah I don't understand what the difference between me calling them a dark horse and someone calling them a Cinderella is.

I'm glad I was at least somewhat correct about Costa Rica (just going off how well they played in qualifying. Mexico usa and Costa Rica all three surprised me. Costa Rica and the usa wernt expected to qualify in tough groups. Then mexico suddenly figured out their woes. But for me Costa Rica is the biggest team that not many were really talking about being a "Cinderella" team. In fact some were critical of the usa and mex for struggling in qualifying with minnows like Costa Rica. I do think that the weather conditions have favored the concacaf/conmebol teams though.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Good work on getting through fellas.

Tough work coming up now but you never know.... Keep the faith :)

Oh and let's hope Jozy is back up and running soon, you miss the big man.

Thank you!!! And you make an excellent point. Losing jozy was a massive blow yet somehow they've weathered that storm. I hope he can return.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Well I just watched the first half on replay. Outside of the first 10 mins they looked ok. Brad Davis and Beasley combo got played. Davis has some good ball skills but covering ground is not his thing. Someone asked what did Davis contribute? He gave bedoya a breather. Bedoya runs a lot and I think it was a fatigue factor. At first I questioned Omar Gonzalez but I thought he played ok after his opening jitters. My guess is his size and Cameron's gaffes were why jk went with Gonzalez.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
So today's game wasn't the showing we all wanted. I thought at times they looked ok but just didn't create the chances that were necessary. They had some moments but lacked the final touch or were too sloppy with the ball. I thought overall our midfield was outclassed by Germany and that's no surprise. We had opportunities for counter attacks but didn't have the speed or final touch that was needed. Maybe the rain and circumstances had something to do with it. I also thought the physical play held both teams back. But I think we can build off of it. And we didn't get blown away.

I thought the Portugal game was great. Outside of a couple of stretches we looked like a dangerous team that deserved to come out of the group. I don't get all of the Bradley bashing. He unfairly became the scape goat of the Portugal game and many us soccer fans are taking a few friendly performances against teams that are at our level or less and expecting them to carry over against the likes of Portugal, Ghana, and Germany and I just don't understand that logic. I thought he played well against Portugal but was outclassed by Ghana and Germany today but that's to be expected no?

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Wow bedoya or dempsey could have equalized it late. Bradley looked Great in that sequence.

Stout

Reaction score
So today's game wasn't the showing we all wanted. I thought at times they looked ok but just didn't create the chances that were necessary. They had some moments but lacked the final touch or were too sloppy with the ball. I thought overall our midfield was outclassed by Germany and that's no surprise. We had opportunities for counter attacks but didn't have the speed or final touch that was needed. Maybe the rain and circumstances had something to do with it. I also thought the physical play held both teams back. But I think we can build off of it. And we didn't get blown away.

I thought the Portugal game was great. Outside of a couple of stretches we looked like a dangerous team that deserved to come out of the group. I don't get all of the Bradley bashing. He unfairly became the scape goat of the Portugal game and many us soccer fans are taking a few friendly performances against teams that are at our level or less and expecting them to carry over against the likes of Portugal, Ghana, and Germany and I just don't understand that logic. I thought he played well against Portugal but was outclassed by Ghana and Germany today but that's to be expected no?

Bradley deserves every bit of criticism he's getting. He has played like crap. Not as in the level of competition is above him, but as in making stupid, silly mistakes. Instead of controlling the ball, he's letting it roll too far away and losing it. Instead of making the simple pass, he's simply passing it away. Instead of bombing the ball down the field in the last minute of a game, the simple, easy, rookie-knows-to-do-it move, he gets caught in possession.

It isn't like people are bashing him for not being great. They're bashing him for failing to make basic plays.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Bradley deserves every bit of criticism he's getting. He has played like crap. Not as in the level of competition is above him, but as in making stupid, silly mistakes. Instead of controlling the ball, he's letting it roll too far away and losing it. Instead of making the simple pass, he's simply passing it away. Instead of bombing the ball down the field in the last minute of a game, the simple, easy, rookie-knows-to-do-it move, he gets caught in possession.

It isn't like people are bashing him for not being great. They're bashing him for failing to make basic plays.

I don't agree. Not to say he's played well without mistakes but he doesn't deserve this type of bashing. I personally think in the case of clearing the ball against Portugal is not what I would have done (giving Portugal a chance to put another ball into the box anyway so what's the difference). I would have tried to recollect and hold possession which is what he tried to do. Unfortunately for him he got tackled and the rest was history. Why aren't you bashing Cameron? He directly factored into both Portugal goals Bradley's poor touch play was at midfield. Not that I don't think Bradley didn't mess up because he did. I just don't understand why he's being singled out.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
For me today's bright spot was Gonzalez. He looked very shaky early and I was disappointed he(nor anyone else) wasn't there to clear Ronaldo's late cross. But today he showed some signs of why he got brought here. I hope that continues. We need to somehow get dempsey more involved like he was against Portugal. It seems Germany had him marked every time and he had little to no factor but I guess that's what happens when the other team has most of the ball. Hopefully jozy really is coming back and dempsey can drop a little.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Man there have been some goal keeper mishaps lol. Ghana today, Nigeria against messi, Casillas had many. What was your favorite?

Stout

Reaction score
I don't agree. Not to say he's played well without mistakes but he doesn't deserve this type of bashing. I personally think in the case of clearing the ball against Portugal is not what I would have done (giving Portugal a chance to put another ball into the box anyway so what's the difference). I would have tried to recollect and hold possession which is what he tried to do. Unfortunately for him he got tackled and the rest was history. Why aren't you bashing Cameron? He directly factored into both Portugal goals Bradley's poor touch play was at midfield. Not that I don't think Bradley didn't mess up because he did. I just don't understand why he's being singled out.

You don't agree? You think he's been good, or even average, on the ball? Sorry, but that opinion isn't validated by his play on the field. This doesn't take into account his two major gaffes against Portugal. His play has been very poor in this World Cup from a technical standpoint.

Then again, we do have to take into consideration those major gaffes against Portugal. He was ten yards clear when he tried to hold possession--ten yards clear of anyone with solid possession. You ABSOLUTELY bomb the ball down the field with less than a minute to play. That's basic soccer 101--anywhere will do at that point, putting it down field. So, first, he made the wrong play. Second, since he tried to possess the ball, he simply cannot give the ball up so easily. He did. He deserves to be bashed for it, just as Beasley deserves it on the play and the defenders too. Unfortunately, his was the first domino to fall in that play, without which the rest of it doesn't happen.

And let's not forget the tap-in he had for another goal earlier in the game. A complete sitter, and he hits it right at a defender. Unforgivable, truly.

And I did bash Cameron. I proclaimed our entire World Cup hopes dead because of his epic blunder. The only reason I'm talking about Bradley is because, unbelievably, you want to defend his play. He's stunk up the field. We don't have any other options, so we need to play him, I'll grant you that. We just need him to play the way we know he can. That's the frustrating part--he's a good player, but he's not playing like one right now.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Made it to the knock-out rounds by winning a game they probably should have lost, tied a game they definitely should have won, and lost a game they wanted to draw. Woulda, shoulda, coulda... they made it out of the group of death!

Unfortunately, squads now have the video how to play and defeat this team. Ghana, Portugal and Germany showed that constantly pressuring Bradley will cause silly turn-overs. With Jozy out, the Germans doubled Duce every time the ball came near him. Do these simple two things, and the Americans are in trouble.

Beasley showed even more willingness to counter-attack as the tournament has progressed; one of his attacking runs almost single-handedly shredded the German back four. Johnson has also been a consistent threat down the right-hand side. I believe the focus of possession needs to pass from Bradley, in the center, to these wide backs.

Also, without Jozy, Dempsey needs someone else up top to help. Great player, just not a holding/target striker that can do it on his own. Maybe Jurgen is hoping to keep things scoreless and rely on set-piece goals, but I haven't seen an aggressive number of players in the box when they have those opportunities.

I'm still hopeful this squad can continue to advance (and very happy they made it out of the group stage), but the blueprint to defeat this team is pretty clear.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bradley has run more and covered more ground than any other player in the tourney. Also, his passing %'s have still been higher than Jones.

It shows how much we expect from him to think his tourney has been poor. As the tip of our diamond, the dude is playing both ways. And doing it with a ton of effort.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

You say you've watched multiple games. Bradley has been one of our absolutely worst players in all 3 games and contributed to a majority of the problems we've had in those games. He may have a high work rate, which is great, but wins & points are what matter, and he is failing woefully at contributing to them.

He was NOT holding possession--he either was stripped of the ball (as in the Portugal game) when he should have just made a backpass or simply passed it to the other team (as he did several times in the Germany game). That is unacceptable at this level and ESPECIALLY from a guy who is generally thought of as the best player on the team.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I just don't see the harsh bashing being deserved and I'm not saying y'all are being harsh but in general many fans are. Has he played well maybe not.... I think at times he has and at times has not. I've never looked at Bradley and thought he was some elite player that some suddenly expect him to be. I think he is a good player that works hard which is somewhat of a model of what our team is. Does he make mistakes? Yes he does so does everyone else on our team. I just don't see the point of singling him out over everyone else. Maybe I misinterpreted what y'all were posting if y'all were calling out the other players too for their mishaps.

Last edited: