Lorenzo

Reaction score
Well we were simply over matched. It was a valiant effort by Tim Howard
But we deserved to lose today.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that we were going to win anyways but another weak shot by Bradley late there leads to the runout for the 2nd goal.

But still if Wondo just puts that in, the extra time never happens.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite as easy but Dempsey sort of wondoed that one too.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
This team isn't giving up.

Win or lose, they get a lot of credit for that.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Well done Belgium. On the first goal Bradley turned over possession, poor Jones looked fatigued and slow, Dempsey gave a gutless half-assed effort, and the back four let Howard down. Basically... the game and tournament in one series of events.

Great effort from Timmy, DeMarcus and the young guys. Except, Cameron. He was worse than useless.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
When will Tim Howard be mentioned as one of the best keepers in the world? He proved he belongs today.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Well I'm not going to bash anyone. I'm sad that we had chances to win and tie but it wasn't because of lack of effort that we lost. It's tough to run around the field like that for 120 mins against a team like Belgium. And what a comeback after going down by 2.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
When will Tim Howard be mentioned as one of the best keepers in the world? He proved he belongs today.

That he does. Man of the match and he deserved better. The goals were just unstoppable and he was on an island a lot of the game.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Howard was awesome today. Without his saves, the score would have been a lot worse. The were on D more then they were on O.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This team isn't giving up.

Win or lose, they get a lot of credit for that.

Yes they do. I just felt Belgium were the better team and deserved to win. We had some point blank chance late that just wouldn't go in.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope that's the last time we'll see Wondolowski in a USNT shirt. Holy crap.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not going to bash anyone. I'm sad that we had chances to win and tie but it wasn't because of lack of effort that we lost. It's tough to run around the field like that for 120 mins against a team like Belgium. And what a comeback after going down by 2.

Totally agree.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Solid effort. They need a couple of breaks to go their way and could not get them.

Having two players go down during the tournament was a big blow to their chances to advance.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this is pretty funny

Someone changed Wikipedia entry for U.S. Secretary of Defense to 'Tim Howard'

didn't stay up long though

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hats off to team USA....couldn't be more proud of them.

Agreed. No real complaints for the tournament. We made U.S. World Cup history by advancing from the group stages two straight tourneys. We got out of the group of death. We took Belgium to extra time, and almost to penalties. Well done, U.S.

That said, I agree--can't call Wondo *********** because he chokes on the big one. Would have rather had Johnson in the team, as he's shown he's better in the big games. Bradley should feel much shame. Perhaps his move to MLS has taken the edge off his game. Cameron didn't do well.

Still, there are a lot of positives moving forward. We have some truly talented youngsters that will lead us forward. Yedlin was a nice surprise. Green showed he has that explosive impact ability. Brooks is an up-and-comer, and I still like Gonzalez. The list goes on and on.

So, good job boys, sorry you didn't make it further, and I'll be rooting for you in Russia :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a bit of apprehension in this match about the formation used for this game. If he wanted Cameron in there, he should have put in him at RB, Johnson at RW and left Beckerman in the middle. He would have had the extra defensive height, attacking down the right with Fabian, without giving so much away in the middle of the pitch. Cameron was damn poor this game.

We played this game tactically on the counter attack and didn't have enough speed on the wings to do it. Shame really. For all of the talk about Klinsmann wanting to make this an attack minded team, we really went defensive in this game and the entire tourney, minus the 2nd half of the Portugal game. We don't seem to want to hit the high gears until we go down and our backs are against the wall. We don't have the killer instinct. Hopefully we can develop that here in the near future.

We didn't deserve to win the game, but Howard sure as hell didn't deserve to lose. Everyone was in awe of Ochoa and his performance, but wow. What a man.

Thoroughly disappointed in Bradley. With much expectation comes much responsibility. He might have played the 4 worst games of his USMNT career at this WC. Shame really.

All that being said, we should be proud. Klinsmann's decision to go with youth paid off big time. Brooks, Yedlin, and Green all paid off in spades. We did better than most thought we could and that says something I suppose.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We played this game tactically on the counter attack and didn't have enough speed on the wings to do it. Shame really. For all of the talk about Klinsmann wanting to make this an attack minded team, we really went defensive in this game and the entire tourney, minus the 2nd half of the Portugal game. We don't seem to want to hit the high gears until we go down and our backs are against the wall. We don't have the killer instinct. Hopefully we can develop that here in the near future.

Part of that was because of Jozy's injury, but I see what you mean.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besler played well in the first 90 but then completely fell apart in extra time, being at least partially culpable on both goals (slipping twice on the first goal alone)

Zusi and particularly Bedoya on the wings do little for me. Big improvement needed here over the next cycle.

Dempsey is going to be thinking about his rough first touch on the nearly perfectly executed set piece. Heartbreaking.

Maybe Julian Green belongs after all? Bonus that he is now cap tied.

Howard could still be the starter in 2018, if he wants to keep playing internationally. Don't care what his age is.

Certainly Bradley's best game of the tournament (easily better than Jones today). I think his gaffe against Portugal has colored some people's perceptions of him too heavily, but there's no question that his passing and more strangely his touch deserted him multiple times. It actually started back during the Uzbekistan friendly, then he played much better against Nigeria before relapsing. Nevertheless, he's probably the only one on the roster capable of making that pass to Green.

Looking forward to seeing Fabian Johnson in the Gold Cup, though I'm not yet convinced he's better for the US at LB than on the wing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of that was because of Jozy's injury, but I see what you mean.

Maybe, or it could have been Klinsmann out-thinking himself. Who knows.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was really impressed by Beasley. Thought he was one of our better players this tourney. Looks like he is getting up there in age though. Not sure how many more years he has left in him.

Obviously Howard was elite. I think he could still play goalie 4 years from now if he still wants to.

Green really stood out to me. The kid has some serious wheels. He could be something special with more experience.

I felt bad for Bradley. He had a couple of mistakes but the guy was giving it 110%. Covered a lot of ground. Still one of our better players.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose