The not-so-Ultimate Popcorn Flick Kumite: The Culling!

Which movies should be removed from the Popcorn Flick Kumite list?

• American Psycho

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Blackhawk Down

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Demon Knight

• Devils Rejects

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Falling Down

• Fight Club

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Full Metal Jacket

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Inception

• Kill Bill vol. 1

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Me, Myself, and Irene

• Natural Born Killers

• Nightmare on Elm Street

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Pulp Fiction

• Requiem for a Dream

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Reservoir Dogs

• Scarface

• Se7en

• Sin City

• Snatch

• South Park Uncut

• The Dark Knight

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • The Shining

• The Usual Suspects

• This is Spinal Tap

• True Romance

• Unforgiven

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Never let it be said that I don't listen to the audience.

I've compiled a list of films from the final list from the voir dire process that either do not fit my personal definition of a popcorn flick, or were mentioned specifically by other posters as not fitting the criteria of a popcorn flick.

Vote for the ones you'd like to see removed. The films that receive more than 50% of the available votes will be removed from the Kumite, and a suitable replacement will be found.

This poll will be open for 3 days.

Last edited:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very fair, dot Ken. I'm not voting to remove any; doesn't make any difference to me, but I like what you've done here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who in their right mind put Requiem For A Dream down as a freaking POPCORN FLICK?!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So, now Cheesie IS subscribing to the common idea of what a popcorn flick is? Sheesh! :D

I voted every straight-up good movie off. Popcorn movies are cheesy fun flicks, that's what the colloquialism means, and that's how I'll proceed.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
So, now Cheesie IS subscribing to the common idea of what a popcorn flick is? Sheesh! :D

I voted every straight-up good movie off. Popcorn movies are cheesy fun flicks, that's what the colloquialism means, and that's how I'll proceed.

:thumbup:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Shining is "in the lead" with 8 right now; that's the only one I almost voted for, lol.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd say all of those except Kill Bill and Demon Knight are not really popcorn flicks.

PS: Demon Knight was cheesy fun.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

huh? You put the cheesy comment in there... Popcorn movies are straight up FUN flicks. They can be cheesy or they can not be.

I still don't know how anyone looks at The Avengers as anything more that a TON of fun and the ultimate popcorn flick... I mean, were you thinking about the "themes" or social commentary the movie made after? of course not... because it had none of that!. but that's for another thread that's been debated to death.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it would be easier to do a genre Kumite--but even then, you're going to have tons of movies that wouldn't make it. All you really do is starting in 1980, get all the top 20 grossing movies from those years and categorize them. Most will be popcorn movies, but you'll get a bunch more in there too. And there won't be any "Usual Suspect" additions that make no sense (unless you're doing a Crime Movie Kumite, of course).

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who in their right mind put Requiem For A Dream down as a freaking POPCORN FLICK?!

Anything as dark as that or Blackhawk Down does not qualify as a popcorn movie, IMO. Just because it has action doesn't mean I'm sitting there stuffing salted artificial lard down my throat. American Psycho? Full Metal Jacket? These were excellent films, but not what I would ever consider to be general fare "popcorn" flicks. If a movie robs you of all hope for humanity, it's probably not selling much of anything at the concession stand.

Anything by Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich would a popcorn flick. And, I might add, very unlikely for me to ever see it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything as dark as that or Blackhawk Down does not qualify as a popcorn movie, IMO. Just because it has action doesn't mean I'm sitting there stuffing salted artificial lard down my throat. American Psycho? Full Metal Jacket? These were excellent films, but not what I would ever consider to be general fare "popcorn" flicks. If a movie robs you of all hope for humanity, it's probably not selling much of anything at the concession stand.

agreed.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Anything by Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich would a popcorn flick. And, I might add, very unlikely for me to ever see it.

Then I guess you haven't seen "Anonymous", a pretty good movie by Emmerich.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Looks like there's 8 movies getting cut from the list:

American Psycho
Full Metal Jacket
Natural Born Killers
Requiem for a Dream
Scarface