The NBA is rigged

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Paul George has 2 fouls on him total this series. In over 120 minutes played. The guy elbowed Crowder in the face and didn't get a foul. He pushes off with both arms extended on many possessions and doesn't get called for a foul. The two teams are playing by two separate sets of rules, it's quite obvious.

The NBA is an entertainment league and its a business. They need to extend this series to generate more revenue. They tried in game 2 and the Suns still won, so they tried even harder in game 3. Hopefully now that they've gotten what they wanted, they will let the players play and let the best team win. But ultimately I fear the league really wants this to go to 6 or 7 games, especially with the ECF being 2 games back of the West. They will want both conference championships to wrap up around the same time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker played horribly, and we missed Cam. Cam Payne's injury wasn't part of a conspiracy, the Booker head-butt was a dirty play (not specifically but cause by a player who recklessly puts other players in physical jeopardy all the time ala Bruce Bowen).

The referreeing is always biased. If we are going to win a championship, we have to be better than that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker played horribly, and we missed Cam. Cam Payne's injury wasn't part of a conspiracy, the Booker head-butt was a dirty play (not specifically but cause by a player who recklessly puts other players in physical jeopardy all the time ala Bruce Bowen).

The referreeing is always biased. If we are going to win a championship, we have to be better than that.

and every fan thinks the refereeing is biased against THEM.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
1. Tim Donaghy NAMED Scott Foster in an interview.

2. Paul was getting bumped constantly as the defender went over the screen. Book does it in the 3rd and gets hit 4th foul.

3. Paul George has been called for TWO FOULS through 3 games so far.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The refs didn’t make CP3 and Booker shoot 10-40.

10-40!

If they would’ve controlled play in the first game and not allowed Patrick Beverley and the rest of the clippers to mug the suns then maybe Booker would’ve been hurt and he would’ve shot like he normally does I’m not sure why That’s so hard of a concept for you to understand

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The refs didn’t make CP3 and Booker shoot 10-40.

10-40!
I completely agree that the Suns need to play better, but IMO the refs did contribute to Booker & Paul shooting 10-40 by not calling fouls that happened before they took tough shots or as they were shooting. Those guys probably should've shot 10-30 with 20 more free throws :)

We need Booker & Paul to play better, but both game 2 & 3 were extremely physical... we're going to struggle if the refs let the Clippers ride our guards all over the court.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul George has two ************* fouls on him the whole series

You have to be ignorant or blind not to understand that you’re trying so hard to deny how bad the refs are and you’re making a fool of yourself

really Jon? You have to personally attack me here because I disagree with you? Jesus man. Get a grip.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a fan base has room to talk...... its ours.

Were the refs been good yesterday? No. But we were much much worse. We weren’t as desperate and our two stars were atrocious.

forget it... I’ve already been told the NBA wants the Clippers in because of
The LA market even though the LA market doesn’t care about them and that I’m making a fool of myself for saying we played like crap.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

2. Paul was getting bumped constantly as the defender went over the screen. Book does it in the 3rd and gets hit 4th foul.

yeah that one is pretty hard to understand considering he’s a physical defender and he constantly shoved defenders away with extended arms.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they would’ve controlled play in the first game and not allowed Patrick Beverley and the rest of the clippers to mug the suns then maybe Booker would’ve been hurt and he would’ve shot like he normally does I’m not sure why That’s so hard of a concept for you to understand

Booker shot like crap in Game 2 before they smacked heads.

Let me asked the rigged folks this... do you think the Clippers thought having to play on a 36 hour turnaround from a late Friday night Game 6 to a 1230 Sunday afternoon start was rigged in their favor?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
and every fan thinks the refereeing is biased against THEM.

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

In the Clippers forum, folks have been complaining that Zubac was pushed in the back and therefore out of defensive position on the Ayton game winning dunk in game 2. But the fact is the refs just aren't gonna call it sometimes, especially in a situation like that. Both teams don't get some fouls they should, and they both get some phantom bad calls or fall victim to a well-sold flop. Then we each filter all that through our own individual fandom human emotion generator* and usually come out all pissed off.

* - My FHEG is the Deluxe Model X2000

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yes,
1. we lost because our 2 stars shot 25%
2. every fan thinks the refs are biased against their teams at times
3. bad calls probably even out in the long run. It helps you win some, lose some.

but that doesn't mean fans shouldn't complain about bad calls and bad refereeing.
it CAN cost you a game and a series

remember Popovich employing hack-a-shaq and campaigning against Shaq stepping over the free-throw line. The refs went with it, It screwed with Shaq's head, he shot even worse, and it was one of the components of our playoff loss against them.

some folks get nervous when someone posts criticism
(apparently, even if it's criticism of the refs or an opponent like Kawhi)
but that's what sports fans do
predict, boast, bitch, etc..

the line is "there's no crying in baseball"
but there is crying from baseball fans, and in every sport
it's us participating

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The LA market even though the LA market doesn’t care about them and that I’m making a fool of myself for saying we played like crap.

We definitely played poorly but I'm not sure why you don't think there's a connection between the officiating and the way we played? And I don't think there's an agenda involved either but the refs allowed the kind of contact on the perimeter that they were previously instructed to eliminate.

Even if you ignore the occasional dirty plays by Beverley, since the 4th quarter of game one they've been allowing the kind of perimeter contact that was supposedly removed from the game 5 or 6 years ago. I guess it makes sense though, starting last year they were again allowing almost 90's style interior physical play, might as well take it outside too.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm with Cheese on this. I do not think there is some sort of league conspiracy. I guarantee you Clipper fans feel like their team is the red-headed stepchild of the NBA. I do think some refs hold personal grudges against specific players, and I don't think they really like coming to Phoenix in June. That may have some impact, a little.

The Suns have built a reputation as a finesse team for nearly their entire existence. When you have that rep, and then you play aggressive D, calls go against you. If there is any bias, it is that.

Beverly is a dirty player and he is really good at selling dirty plays as clean.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Cheese on this. I do not think there is some sort of league conspiracy. I guarantee you Clipper fans feel like their team is the red-headed stepchild of the NBA. I do think some refs hold personal grudges against specific players, and I don't think they really like coming to Phoenix in June. That may have some impact, a little.

The Suns have built a reputation as a finesse team for nearly their entire existence. When you have that rep, and then you play aggressive D, calls go against you. If there is any bias, it is that.

Beverly is a dirty player and he is really good at selling dirty plays as clean.

I think most of us discount the conspiracy theory here. Beverley is dirty, easily dirtier than Bowen and the league is filled with players that will say the same thing. But no way is the NBA going to fix the outcome of games, the consequences are simply too costly if it ever came out.

We got good calls and we got bad calls, it happens to all teams all the time. But what killed us was the refs ignoring a few blatant dirty plays in addition to protecting Paul George as if he were in the last few days of his third trimester.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I don’t know about the fouls but he definitely has traveled at least a dozen times with no call.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Were the refs been good yesterday? No. But we were much much worse. We weren’t as desperate and our two stars were atrocious.

forget it... I’ve already been told the NBA wants the Clippers in because of
Regardless, between LA, Phoenix, Atlanta and Milwaukee, you don’t think a giant tv market like LA would be an economic necessity? Guaranteed there would be more viewers in that market if the Clippers made it to the finals. Not as much as the Lakers of course, but certainly more than if it was Phoenix.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Regardless, between LA, Phoenix, Atlanta and Milwaukee, you don’t think a giant tv market like LA would be an economic necessity? Guaranteed there would be more viewers in that market if the Clippers made it to the finals. Not as much as the Lakers of course, but certainly more than if it was Phoenix.

If the NBA officiates to give an advantage to larger market teams over smaller market teams, shouldn't we have seen one in our annual playoff demoralizations against the Spurs? Or are you saying they stack the deck only for LA? The financial boon of having LA in the finals is enough for the league to risk its reputation as a legitimate sports competition. Does this make a lot of sense?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If the NBA officiates to give an advantage to larger market teams over smaller market teams, shouldn't we have seen one in our annual playoff demoralizations against the Spurs? Or are you saying they stack the deck only for LA? The financial boon of having LA in the finals is enough for the league to risk its reputation as a legitimate sports competition. Does this make a lot of sense?
Please note I did NOT say the NBA is rigged. I was simply addressing Cheese's assertion that nobody cares about the LA "big" market because nobody cares about the Clippers in said market. I think to a point, he's right, in that the Clippers aren't as big as the Lakers here. What I refute is that the NBA doesn't care if LA makes it or not. I think they absolutely would prefer it to be LA.

The question is: Do they prefer it enough to rig games? I don't think so. I think what we are seeing is GROSS incompetence on the part of the officials at the very least.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not into conspiracy theories but I think certain stars get preferential treatment.

Devin Booker is not one of those players.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Guaranteed there would be more viewers in that market if the Clippers made it to the finals. Not as much as the Lakers of course, but certainly more than if it was Phoenix.

For what it's worth, a recent nation-wide poll showed more people find the Suns to be the most exciting team left and more preferable to win the championship than the Clippers, Hawks, or Bucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose