The NBA is rigged

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I was just shocked to see the nba allow the clippers to get away with 80s-90s bad boys and knicks thug ball. The headbutt, morris’ push, beverleys tackle, cousins shove. I was sure the nba had gotten far away from that crap, but last night proved me wrong. Sad bc basketball had gotten more entertaining again. The clips are going to injure someone with their thuggery. I won’t be the least bit surprised if we see Beverley undercut Ayton or Bridges at some time in this series.

Our only hope is that the NBA has a memo or call with the officials to explain all of the mishaps from last night.

We won in spite of multiple judgement calls/replays where the clear intent of the rule was undercut by the opinion of a poor ref.

We won in spite of an 80% FT shooter being gifted an opportunity to put the game away.

We won in spite of our best player being head butted, cut, and unavailable for a long period in the 2nd half.

We won in spite of the extreme physicality on display as the game got underway. Physicality that was supposedly officiated out of the game over the last 5 to 10 years.

And we won in spite of Scott Foster.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Foster is clearly affected by the Suns and should never officiate our games again.

Foster seemed like he made Book the stand in for Chris Paul. Foster was the one who called Book for the offensive foul under the basket.

Also, the weirdest offensive foul ever: no call during action, but they stop play. Then on review, call a foul. A review that ignored Luke Kennard fouling Booker before the arm came up and hit Beverly.

Finally: when Lue tried to sub on at least two players for the final play with .7 of a sec left: shouldnt that have been an illegal substitution technical?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Foster seemed like he made Book the stand in for Chris Paul. Foster was the one who called Book for the offensive foul under the basket.

Also, the weirdest offensive foul ever: no call during action, but they stop play. Then on review, call a foul. A review that ignored Luke Kennard fouling Booker before the arm came up and hit Beverly.

Finally: when Lue tried to sub on at least two players for the final play with .7 of a sec left: shouldnt that have been an illegal substitution technical?

Yes! This is probably the most irritating part given how things like this have literally robbed th suns of a championship before. It should have been clearly explained ONCE...the same 10 guys have to be on the floor. After that, when he sent in Reggie Jackson as the inbounder....knowing full well he would have to come out...just to waste time and give him more time to talk to his players...it should have been a technical for either illegal sub or delay of game.

AND....the fact that they looked at the last play from 900 angles, but somehow missed Boogie's shove....hmmm. That should have been a tech as well, and should have sealed the game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

We tried to sub in too.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The bad thing is that if the fans see it, and have complained and complained, then the league knows it's a problem, yet refuses to do anything about it. Tech fouls for breathing too hard? Travelling violations blatantly ignored? Come on NBA, you gotta hide the scam better than that. The Sixers/Hawks series was a sloppily called game in game out, and not just against us. There were some bad calls going the other way that I admit were horrible. I really don't know what can be done, but I'm in complete agreement with Jon on this. It will be interesting to see if there is any real action taken next year as the league says it will be with cleaning up a lot of the "lean into" crap that players get away with regularly.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Scott Foster is highly suspect, for several reasons. but, in general, i don't think "the nba is rigged."

i do think some refs let their emotions and personal bias influence calls
and some are probably "company guys" who give superstars and popular, big-market teams preferential treatment because it's good for ratings and profits.

i think the 2 back to back calls in the 1st that got Crowder and Booker 2 fouls apiece, could have, and should have gone the other way... and if a ref did want to tilt the game, that's how it would be done -- on close calls

and, you'd make a call that was technically correct, but i've never seen called before, like Booker's hand being last to touch the ball when it was knocked out by the defender.

and, oops, you'd miss calls like a few that stood out in that game

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Foster's frequent contacts with that convicted ref, and the odds of CP3 losing all those games he reffed is suspicious, but does anyone know if there is a potential Foster motive? i know CP has been the President of the player's union for 8 years and union leaders are not popular with company guys, but that's a long shot

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s crazy when you watch the east coast games versus the suns games. The suns are being singled out when it comes to officiating. The games are called very differently IMO.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Having lived back East for eight years and having a ton of buddies from NYC I can tell you the thoughts are much different for those in their 40s and 50s. They are diehard knicks fans. DIEHARD.

I recently lived in NYC for a few years and went to a few Knicks games. The team sucked. I was shocked at how intense the crowd was. It felt like a 90's-00's Suns playoff atmosphere during regular season games against garbage Suns teams.

I also went to a few Nets games in Newark, they had no fans at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott Foster is highly suspect, for several reasons. but, in general, i don't think "the nba is rigged."

and some are probably "company guys" who give superstars and popular, big-market teams preferential treatment because it's good for ratings and profits.

i think the 2 back to back calls in the 1st that got Crowder and Booker 2 fouls apiece, could have, and should have gone the other way... and if a ref did want to tilt the game, that's how it would be done -- on close calls

and, you'd make a call that was technically correct, but i've never seen called before, like Booker's hand being last to touch the ball when it was knocked out by the defender.

It's old now but after the 2015 playoffs the Warriors were 7-6 with Foster reffing, and 46-10 when he didn't ref. That got a ton of airplay because the Warriors local show guy Drew Shiller made it public and it got shared all over. After that the Warriors were much better with Foster reffing, most of us assumed it was because Foster had been outed for whatever issue he had with the Warriors.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if an NBA team can request a particular referee not work a game. Maybe they can but perhaps the requests are denied.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I always thought, nah, games aren't fixed. Now I'm not so sure - how does an 87% free throw shooter miss 2 crucial shots?

Then I wondered - what happened with Tim Donaghy? Pretty good read 10yrs later on him:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games
Those were pressure free throws and he was pretty fatigued by that point in the game. Also he missed the first one slightly short which likely caused him to overcorrect shooting the 2nd one slightly long.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The refs have the ultimate ability to control the flow of the game. Calling 2 quick, questionable fouls on a star player sends them to the bench and completely chsnges a game plan

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Those were pressure free throws and he was pretty fatigued by that point in the game. Also he missed the first one slightly short which likely caused him to overcorrect shooting the 2nd one slightly long.
What you said. There's no way Playoff P is throwing games.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
loose reffing tonight on both sides but more often a lot of Suns going down or being bumped with no calls. and a biased timekeeper as well.

can anyone who has it recorded tell me when the clock started on PG's 3 pt heave with 1.1 to go?
earlier, we had to complain to get them to restart the play twice when the timekeeper jumped the gun on CP3

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
If the league is rigged, then we're all wasting our time. Every fan base thinks the officials job them every game. You should read the Clippers forum. All about how they've been screwed by the refs this series. Sounds laughable to us right? Blaming the officials is irrational.

I hate blaming the officials for a loss. However there is no denying that it is just generally terrible. Fixed means they have a plan but nba officials are just incompetent. Most times you're just hoping that the bad calls are evened out for both sides