The NBA is rigged

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please note I did NOT say the NBA is rigged. I was simply addressing Cheese's assertion that nobody cares about the LA "big" market because nobody cares about the Clippers in said market. I think to a point, he's right, in that the Clippers aren't as big as the Lakers here. What I refute is that the NBA doesn't care if LA makes it or not. I think they absolutely would prefer it to be LA.

why would they prefer the LA Clippers? They aren’t a national draw. They only have one marketable player in George vs. two Suns with CP3 and Booker and the Clippers don’t even draw big rating numbers in LA so it’s not like they are going to clean up there. The Clippers have long been the red headed step child
of the entire league and they’re missing their best player.

Considering all of the above, I’m not sure how that’s absolutely more attractive from a rating perspective than the Suns who have two Superstars with CP3/Booker, Ayton becoming a revelation as third star, are healthy, have become the darlings of the NBA, championed as the “right way” to build a team, with everyone raving about the atmosphere in the stadium and play in the sixth largest market in the league where the entire city is ravenous about them.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guaranteed there would be more viewers in that market if the Clippers made it to the finals. Not as much as the Lakers of course, but certainly more than if it was Phoenix.

Just saw this. see my questions above as to what you’re basing this notion on. Also, note Rivercard’s response also above.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just saw this. see my questions above as to why you believe this. Also, note Rivercard’s response also.
So let's get this straight, you think that the numbers for the LA MARKET will be higher if the Suns are in the Finals than the Clippers?

Ok, there's no debating that nonsense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let's get this straight, you think that the numbers for the LA MARKET will be higher if the Suns are in the Finals than the Clippers?

Ok, there's no debating that nonsense.

I don’t think it’s as simple as the argument you just projected on me. I never said the above. Yes. The market share in LA will be bigger with Clips than Suns. I also think the LA market doesn’t make that big of a difference for ratings overall for a number of reasons.

1. The people who make up the overwhelming majority of the LA market are Laker fans who don’t give a crap and won’t watch.

2. I also believe the Phoenix market will be at full tilt.

3. I think the numbers across the country from the general NBA fan would be higher with a fully healthy Suns team with multiple superstars who have set the playoffs on fire than a busted Clippers team who’s most marketable player is an unlikable choke artist backed by the rest of the team who are full of cast offs and goons.

also, I didn’t call your suggestion nonsense. Nor did I project any kind of argument on yours that you never made. I responded with varied reasons why I disagreed. Not sure why you can’t just do the same.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s as simple as the argument you just projected on me. I never said the above. Yes. The market share in LA will be bigger with Clips than Suns. I also think the LA market doesn’t make that big of a difference for ratings overall for a number of reasons.

1. The people who make up the overwhelming majority of the LA market are Laker fans who don’t give a crap and won’t watch.

2. I also believe the Phoenix market will be at full tilt.

3. I think the numbers across the country from the general NBA fan would be higher with a fully healthy Suns team with multiple superstars who have set the playoffs on fire than a busted Clippers team who’s most marketable player is an unlikable choke artist backed by the rest of the team who are full of cast offs and goons.

also, I didn’t call your suggestion nonsense. Nor did I project any kind of argument on yours that you never made. I responded with varied reasons why I disagreed. Not sure why you can’t just do the same.

You completely misrepresented what I said. But it doesn't matter, it's an inane argument at best.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
a busted Clippers team who’s most marketable player is an unlikable choke artist backed by the rest of the team who are full of cast offs and goons.

I would argue that Reggie Jackson is a compelling figure and a rising star. Maybe 2nd year player Terrance Mann as well if he keeps improving. Morris is a baller when he is healthy. Far from cast offs and goons. But I guess most of America is unaware.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would argue that Reggie Jackson is a compelling figure and a rising star. Maybe 2nd year player Terrance Mann as well if he keeps improving. Morris is a baller when he is healthy. Far from cast offs and goons. But I guess most of America is unaware.
You do know Reggie Jackson has been in the nba for 10 years, right? He’s not really a “rising star.” Mann looks like he’s got potential, but right now that’s all he is. Morris has skill, but he and Beverley are definitely goons.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You completely misrepresented what I said. But it doesn't matter, it's an inane argument at best.

how did I do that? And is it possible for you to engage in conversation here without insulting someone else’s opinion merely because they disagree with yours? Again, I haven’t called your opinion inane or nonsense.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lol... no. Reggie Jackson is a cast off from a deluge of different teams who’s in his early 30’s. That’s not a rising star. Terrance Mann has had one INCREDIBLE game and is a nice spark-plug, but very much a role Player right now. Morris is well-traveled journeyman who’s bounced from team to team his entire career and is a known cheap shot artist. Beverly is known as one of the dirtiest players in the league. Cousins has always been a problem child every where he goes. Rondo has been cast off from pretty much every team in the league at this point.

All of which is NOT to demean the Clippers as a team. They’ve found a good groove with these guys and play REALLY hard. But they ain’t a marketable bunch, River.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
You do know Reggie Jackson has been in the nba for 10 years, right? He’s not really a “rising star.” Mann looks like he’s got potential, but right now that’s all he is. Morris has skill, but he and Beverley are definitely goons.

Jackson has been around a while, but he certainly upped his game the last third of the season this year like I haven't seen before. I'll disagree with you on the rest. Beverly is an in your grill defender. He's aggressive but not dirty IMO, but he gets careless at times. And I thought that when he played for the Rockets.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
lol... no. Reggie Jackson is a cast off from a deluge of different teams who’s in his early 30’s. That’s not a rising star. Terrance Mann has had one INCREDIBLE game and is a nice spark-plug, but very much a role Player right now. Morris is well-traveled journeyman who’s bounced from team to team his entire career and is a known cheap shot artist. Beverly is known as one of the dirtiest players in the league. Cousins has always been a problem child every where he goes. Rondo has been cast off from pretty much every team in the league at this point.

All of which is NOT to demean the Clippers as a team. They’ve found a good groove with these guys and play REALLY hard. But they ain’t a marketable bunch, River.

I've never argued they are marketable, quite the contrary. I'm not a fan of cousins, and Rondo is trash at this point of his carreer. As a Louisville guy I don't really like ex KY Wildcats very much . Morris was a really good player on a dreadful Knicks team before coming to the Clips.
My inner shrink thinks that as an artist you just like a really good villain, and the Clips fill that role.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never argued they are marketable, quite the contrary. I'm not a fan of cousins, and Rondo is trash at this point of his carreer. As a Louisville guy I don't really like ex KY Wildcats very much . Morris was a really good player on a dreadful Knicks team before coming to the Clips.
My inner shrink thinks that as an artist you just like a really good villain, and the Clips fill that role.

eh... the Lakers were a really good villain. The Clippers are like an annoying gnat that just keeps picking at you.

I have been really impressed with their resilience, especially without Kawhi... while at the same time being totally flummoxed how they could fall behind 2-0 twice when they had a full compliment of health in the first two rounds against less talented teams.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
eh... the Lakers were a really good villain. The Clippers are like an annoying gnat that just keeps picking at you.

I have been really impressed with their resilience, especially without Kawhi... while at the same time being totally flummoxed how they could fall behind 2-0 twice when they had a full compliment of health in the first two rounds against less talented teams.

Lol. Can't disagree with any of that. You're a good man Mr. Cheese.

I really like and respect Booker. As much as CP3 brings to the table, Booker is your key player. When he's on, the Suns are pretty much unstoppable. Wish he weren't a KY Wildcat, lol.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackson has been around a while, but he certainly upped his game the last third of the season this year like I haven't seen before. I'll disagree with you on the rest. Beverly is an in your grill defender. He's aggressive but not dirty IMO, but he gets careless at times. And I thought that when he played for the Rockets.

I've been watching the NBA since the 60's and Beverley is the dirtiest player I've seen since Karl Malone and at least Malone was doing it in an era where it was closer to acceptable. You don't think Pat's dirty? Just ask Westbrook, Curry, CP3, Damian Lillard, Tony Parker, Jeff Green, Trae Young and so many other "victims". He's aggressive, he's a pest AND occasionally he's very dirty.

Jackson played well down the stretch but he was a much better player his first year or two in Detroit than he was this year for the Clippers.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
how did I do that? And is it possible for you to engage in conversation here without insulting someone else’s opinion merely because they disagree with yours? Again, I haven’t called your opinion inane or nonsense.
Jesus Christ, is the rule “debate the post not the poster” or not? I never called you names or got “personal” with you. That is why it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a discussion with you on virtually anything where the opposing poster has a different viewpoint.

It doesn’t matter. Again a stupid conversation from the start anyway. As your brother said, this thread shouldn’t be this long to begin with.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Beverley has always been dirty because he plays out of control with disregard for others health. I get it, you don’t want to think that way about your boy. That’s why you use a phrase like “careless” when it’s really reckless. See he was bothering book, but he crossed the line and injured an important player in the series. That’s just bs. Just like his tackle of Payne. You watch both plays and say, “what the hell is that guy doing? That’s not basketball.”

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Beverley has always been dirty because he plays out of control with disregard for others health. I get it, you don’t want to think that way about your boy. That’s why you use a phrase like “careless” when it’s really reckless. See he was bothering book, but he crossed the line and injured an important player in the series. That’s just bs. Just like his tackle of Payne. You watch both plays and say, “what the hell is that guy doing? That’s not basketball.”

If you watch the replay, you'll see that Book was moving forward as well as Beverly, Pat did not make an aggressive forward move. Incedental contact occured. Even the announcers agreed with the refs that it was just a basketball play, not a flagrant foul. I get that you are protective of your guy, but it clouds your judgement.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you watch the replay, you'll see that Book was moving forward as well as Beverly, Pat did not make an aggressive forward move. Incedental contact occured. Even the announcers agreed with the refs that it was just a basketball play, not a flagrant foul. I get that you are protective of your guy, but it clouds your judgement.

How is this not a dirty play by Beverley?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would agree. We have Phoenix, Atlanta, Milwaukee, and the ugly stepchild in Los Angeles remaining. If that's rigged then the NBA has some splaining' to do to their advertisers.

Yeah right.

Plus this is such a victims grievance thread as well...lol. We're two wins away from making the finals...dont feel like throwing a pity party just yet. We had the last 10+ years for that...cripe

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah right.

Plus this is such a victims grievance thread as well...lol. We're two wins away from making the finals...dont feel like throwing a pity party just yet. We had the last 10+ years for that...cripe

I sort of feel like throwing one, AFAIC we may well be a broken nose and a badly sprained ankle away from even making the finals. A week or two ago we had good reason to believe we might win it all. But now? Unless CP3 bounces back and plays some of his best ball ever we could be in trouble.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson