The mock draft that makes too much sense to happen (4.9)

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
1. Detroit - QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia
2. St. Louis - OT Jason Smith, Baylor
3. Kansas City - LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
4. Seattle - WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
5. Cleveland - DE Brian Orakpo, Texas
6. Cincinnati - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
7. Oakland - DE Everette Brown, Florida State
8. Jacksonville - CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
9. Green Bay - DT BJ Raji, Boston College
10. San Francisco - OT Andre Smith, Alabama
11. Buffalo - DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee
12. Denver - QB Mark Sanchez, Southern Cal
13. Washington - OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss
14. New Orleans - DE Aaron Maybin, Penn State
15. Houston - CB Vontae Davis, Illinois
16. San Diego - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
17. New York Jets - RB Beanie Wells, Ohio State
18. Denver (via Chicago) - LB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
19. Tampa Bay - QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State
20. Detroit (via Dallas) - LB Rey Maualuga, Southern Cal
21. Philadelphia - LB Clint Sintim, Virginia
22. Minnesota - WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
23. New England - LB Clay Matthews, Southern Cal
24. Atlanta - DE Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech
25. Miami - CB Darius Butler, UConn
26. Baltimore - WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina
27. Indianapolis - DT Jeria Perry, Ole Miss
28. Philadelphia (via Carolina) - C Alex Mack, California
29. New York Giants - LB Brian Cushing, Southern Cal
30. Tennessee - CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
31. Arizona Cardinals - RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
32. Pittsburgh - DB Sean Smith, Utah

Cardinals Mock Cont'd
31. RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia - Yay! A typical chalk pick that only 1/2 the board would like, but it works out well for us. I've been gushing about Moreno for a while now, so there isn't a need to do it here. Feature back. All-around player. Always gets positive yardage. Not a dancer.

63. DE Lawrence Sidbury Jr., Richmond - Lawrence Sidbury is basically Michael Johnson if he had a normal sized neck and didn't play in the ACC. I'm not kidding. You can take such a prospect at 63. Here is our heir for Predator.

95. DT Terrance Taylor, Michigan - Alan Branch is walking the plank, Gabe Watson is good, but might not be a Cardinal in 2010 as Graves will probably still be negotiating a deal with Dansby. So what do the Cardinals do? Go to Michigan and dip in the well again! The third time could be a charm because Taylor is one of the top nose tackles in the draft. He moves well and stops the run...and that's about it, but that's all you need from a NT. As expected from a Michigan tackle, this guy also has work ethic concerns.

131. TE Cornelius Ingram, Florida - We already have receivers at TE. We need blockers! Problem is, I'm tired of having fringe players at TE. Leonard Pope might not make it beyond the regular season and Ben Patrick is spot duty. Spach was a midseason signing who is on a lengthy rehab and Becht is meh. Of the many pass catching tight ends that are in the draft, he's the tallest midget in a tall man competition if that makes any sense. Ingram is still rough around the edges and would probably need some time to develop, but is a willing blocker and has good talent.

167. OC AQ Shipley, Penn State - I was actually against picking a center in this draft because of how Whisenhunt and Grimm think that Sindelyn can be a pretty good center, but seeing as we don't have anyone behind our future star center Shipley makes a lot of sense and good value here. At worst he's a backup and might push Lyle.

204. LB Phillip Hunt, Houston - Has a solid burst off the line and uses leverage well. However he's easily taken out of play. Situational pass rusher/developmental guy.

240. LB Antonio Appleby, Virginia - Inside linebacker who could compete for a roster spot.

254. OG Maurice Miller, Ole Miss - I like maulers and does it really matter at this point?

Thoughts?

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I doubt that Ingram will fall that far. As for a blocking TE I like this guy...

Anthony Hill Tight End | Senior | North Carolina St

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 262 | 40-Time: 4.80

Strengths:
Outstanding size and bulk...Has a huge frame with long arms...Tough and physical...Excellent strength...An outstanding blocker...Stout at the point and gets a good push...Soft, reliable hands...Can be a threat in the redzone...Works well in traffic and can take a hit...Understands how to get open...May offer some versatility...Has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great speed or quickness...Average athleticism...Not a big play threat and won't stretch the field...Does not get much separation...Won't do much after the catch...Will have the occasional lapse in concentration...Durability may be an issue...Upside is limited.

Notes:
Was a three-year starter in the ACC...Attended Hargrave Military Academy prep school for a year after high school before joining the Wolfpack...Would have been a part of the 2008 NFL Draft but redshirted after tearing the ACL in his left knee...Bulking up and moving to offensive tackle may be a legitimate possibility...Not flashy and is definitely a better blocker than receiver but is sneakily effective and has proven to be a dependable threat in the short to intermediate range...Underrated prospect who is never going to be a superstar but is absolutely capable of making a roster and contributing as a backup.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardinals Mock Cont'd
31. RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia - Yay! A typical chalk pick that only 1/2 the board would like, but it works out well for us. I've been gushing about Moreno for a while now, so there isn't a need to do it here. Feature back. All-around player. Always gets positive yardage. Not a dancer.

I agree. When all is said and done, Moreno will be the best offensive player that came out of this draft IMO. The only problem is I feel there will be an unexpected run on running backs in round 1 and Wells, Moreno, and Brown will be gone before we pick.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I somehow doubt that Denver would take a project like Connor Barwin when all three of the USC Linebackers are still on the board and, while I have no issue with Moreno, I think English would be the choice at #31.

Also doubt we'd be selecting a D-tackle, if any of the higher rated centre/guards are still available.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree. When all is said and done, Moreno will be the best offensive player that came out of this draft IMO. The only problem is I feel there will be an unexpected run on running backs in round 1 and Wells, Moreno, and Brown will be gone before we pick.

Moreno will be a stud and you're probably right about a RB run, it usually happens.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I would just be happy if we got Knowshown...he would be a terror out of the backfield running a 3 wr set, with Knowshown running screens and draws.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I would just be happy if we got Knowshown...he would be a terror out of the backfield running a 3 wr set, with Knowshown running screens and draws.

I hadn't thought about it that way. Good point. Knowshon wagon has another rider. Bye bye wells wagon (even though it sounds better)

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
95. DT Terrance Taylor, Michigan - Alan Branch is walking the plank, Gabe Watson is good, but might not be a Cardinal in 2010 as Graves will probably still be negotiating a deal with Dansby. So what do the Cardinals do?

Since all signs are still pointing to an uncapped 2010 season until furhter notice, Watson will still be a Cardinals in 2010. RFA rules change in the uncapped year so we can just give Watson another RFA tender for a second year. Plus I dont like Taylor. I think his motor, stamina, and work ethic are even more concerning then they were for Watson and Branch coming out of college. I also dont like short NT's. They seem to wear down quicker and dont get as much leverage.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I hadn't thought about it that way. Good point. Knowshon wagon has another rider. Bye bye wells wagon (even though it sounds better)

I would be thrilled with either, I think Wells has more feature back future potential, whereas I see Moreno as more of a Mo-Jo Drew type back. Either one would be huge, and provide the speed and quickness that would be a perfect foil to Hightower. I would even trade up if I wanted to get one or the other. (One or the other could drop to us, I just don't see it.)

zuchini

Rookie
Reaction score
1. Detroit - QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia
2. St. Louis - OT Jason Smith, Baylor
3. Kansas City - LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
4. Seattle - WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
5. Cleveland - DE Brian Orakpo, Texas
6. Cincinnati - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
7. Oakland - DE Everette Brown, Florida State
8. Jacksonville - CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
9. Green Bay - DT BJ Raji, Boston College
10. San Francisco - OT Andre Smith, Alabama
11. Buffalo - DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee
12. Denver - QB Mark Sanchez, Southern Cal
13. Washington - OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss
14. New Orleans - DE Aaron Maybin, Penn State
15. Houston - CB Vontae Davis, Illinois
16. San Diego - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
17. New York Jets - RB Beanie Wells, Ohio State
18. Denver (via Chicago) - LB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
19. Tampa Bay - QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State
20. Detroit (via Dallas) - LB Rey Maualuga, Southern Cal
21. Philadelphia - LB Clint Sintim, Virginia
22. Minnesota - WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
23. New England - LB Clay Matthews, Southern Cal
24. Atlanta - DE Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech
25. Miami - CB Darius Butler, UConn
26. Baltimore - WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina
27. Indianapolis - DT Jeria Perry, Ole Miss
28. Philadelphia (via Carolina) - C Alex Mack, California
29. New York Giants - LB Brian Cushing, Southern Cal
30. Tennessee - CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
31. Arizona Cardinals - RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
32. Pittsburgh - DB Sean Smith, Utah

Cardinals Mock Cont'd

63. DE Lawrence Sidbury Jr., Richmond - Lawrence Sidbury is basically Michael Johnson if he had a normal sized neck and didn't play in the ACC. I'm not kidding. You can take such a prospect at 63. Here is our heir for Predator.

95. DT Terrance Taylor, Michigan - Alan Branch is walking the plank, Gabe Watson is good, but might not be a Cardinal in 2010 as Graves will probably still be negotiating a deal with Dansby. So what do the Cardinals do? Go to Michigan and dip in the well again! The third time could be a charm because Taylor is one of the top nose tackles in the draft. He moves well and stops the run...and that's about it, but that's all you need from a NT. As expected from a Michigan tackle, this guy also has work ethic concerns.

131. TE Cornelius Ingram, Florida - We already have receivers at TE. We need blockers! Problem is, I'm tired of having fringe players at TE. Leonard Pope might not make it beyond the regular season and Ben Patrick is spot duty. Spach was a midseason signing who is on a lengthy rehab and Becht is meh. Of the many pass catching tight ends that are in the draft, he's the tallest midget in a tall man competition if that makes any sense. Ingram is still rough around the edges and would probably need some time to develop, but is a willing blocker and has good talent.

167. OC AQ Shipley, Penn State - I was actually against picking a center in this draft because of how Whisenhunt and Grimm think that Sindelyn can be a pretty good center, but seeing as we don't have anyone behind our future star center Shipley makes a lot of sense and good value here. At worst he's a backup and might push Lyle.

204. LB Phillip Hunt, Houston - Has a solid burst off the line and uses leverage well. However he's easily taken out of play. Situational pass rusher/developmental guy.

240. LB Antonio Appleby, Virginia - Inside linebacker who could compete for a roster spot.

254. OG Maurice Miller, Ole Miss - I like maulers and does it really matter at this point?

Thoughts?

Good job. Enjoyed reading it.

Your first 6 picks are dead on.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
if we land Knowshon We could draft Buster Davis Jr. rounds 2-7 and I may still be satisfied with the draft...:D

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
My only thing is after all the time you put into that, we still don't have a kick returner.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
that's a pretty realistic draft. The one guy who is really falling lately is Sintim. I wouldn't be surprised is he's there at 63 for the Cards. It's probably another case of scouts putting workouts over on field production.

3/21/2009 - NFL Draft Scout Faller: Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia: Before the post-season draft process began, many believed Sintim would challenge for first round consideration. He showed only average athleticism on the field at the Senior Bowl, however, then put up testing numbers well below those of the seven or eight linebacker prospects (including the DE-OLB hybrid players listed above) likely to be top 50 picks. He could not improve his shuttle times at his pro day, which keep him from cracking the mid-second round. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout.com

OP
OP
Shogun

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
I somehow doubt that Denver would take a project like Connor Barwin when all three of the USC Linebackers are still on the board and, while I have no issue with Moreno, I think English would be the choice at #31.

Also doubt we'd be selecting a D-tackle, if any of the higher rated centre/guards are still available.
My logic with Barwin is that he's an athletic pass rusher a la Vrabel. After being around Belichek for so long and wanting to switch to a 3-4 defense, he would try and start at OLB since the top linemen have been taken off the board. He is definitely a project, but his athletic numbers are a big and will get him taken earlier than he should.
My only thing is after all the time you put into that, we still don't have a kick returner.
UDFA. You can't win them all in the draft.
Great job. I would like a nickle safety though. And my blocking TE is Richard Quinn from UNC.
I think that we'll be seeing Keith Lewis in that role unfortunately, so I don't think they'll get one. I really like Richard Quinn, too. If Ingram is gone (and he most likely will be), Quinn would be the guy instead. I still think that we need an injection of serious talent at this position regardless if he's a blocker or receiver.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
I like it, I just don't see Moreno lasting to 31.

Me neither.

The ? is do we still draft an RB at 2?

I'd be happy with Brown or Wells or McCoy if they were available.....yet Brown may not be there......Wells has injury concerns.....and McCoy has been falling in the mocks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard