The Market 2021

Discussion in 'Finance, Investments, and Careers' started by Folster, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Nice! I am down with 3 stocks, AMT, DLR and RCL...luckily I don't have large positions in any of them. RCL was my biggest mistake of 2020--down $15 a share from where I purchased it, I believe it'll bounce back eventually but it may take a couple of years and I have to be patient.

Folster likes this.
  2. Folster

Folster he/haw

The cruise lines were attractive last March as was most of the market, but I think they recovered too quickly for the challenges they will face. Even now, I see it being awhile before they are enjoying profit margins close to what they had pre-covid. Hopefully the trade works out for you.

Zeno likes this.
  3. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

The demand is there for the cruise industry (really the entire travel industry) but the pandemic has put so many restrictions in place that who knows when things will get back to close to normal. When RCL was asking for volunteers for "test cruises" that the CDC requires they had over 200K volunteers (and it was open only to members of their loyalty club) that shows me that people are ready to jump back on board as soon as the chance opens up. The problem is the cruise lines are in such a deep hole it will be a while before they dig themselves out...I am hoping to hit the break even point as far as what I purchased shares for by early 2023 but like I said I will just have to be patient. It was trading over $130 early last year--its just over $90 now (I was in at $106).

jf-08 likes this.
  4. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

DOW didn't get as high as I'd hoped but Nasdaq sure took off nicely

5. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I never got in on the cruise ships but I did get in on LUV and AAL. LUV already performed to where I wanted and I sold, I still have AAL but they are almost to my sell point too.

Went in more on TSLA today. Cannot state how bullish I am on that company and the future.

6. Folster

Folster he/haw

Hey @dscher, where are you seeing support and resistance for Ford? I'm starting to think about exiting the my position and would like to hear a technical opinion.

7. dscher

dscher Registered

Looks like it has solid short term support around 10.50. You'll have a reaction in there regardless because of bounces it had prior to breaking out...along with a nice breakup candle. It's has been just straight up since March of last year, so the longer term support levels are a little harder to gauge.

Oh, and resistance looks to be around 12.25... you breakout above and it becomes support.

Edit. Didnt check my monthly of it..but just saw that you are currently in the area of resistance from the highs in 2014 as well. So that's definitely a decent zone to see what it does. I wouldn't be surprised with a strong move in the downward direction from it..but if you hold 12.25-12.50 or above that that should be great support. Good luck

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Folster likes this.
  8. dscher

dscher Registered

GME back to the moon?! ... Chart looks to be ready for another move.... possibly. o_O

9. thirty-two

thirty-two boglehead Contributor

I’m in for the ride, whatever it is. This stock definitely scratches my gambling itch.

Mainstreet and dscher like this.
  10. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

I had bought into NCLH, AAL, and DAL when they all dropped last year. Sold off NCLH and AAL in January since I got tired of them meandering around and wanted to use the money elsewhere. DAL has been doing well for me though and I'll probably stay holding it.

If you're bullish on TSLA have you looked at Lucid Motors too? I bullish on both of them and have my EV stock split between the two. I really think TSLA:LCID is going to be the BMW:Merc of the EV world. They have top of the line tech, a plant already built in Casa Grande, and a good roadmap. They're technically not public yet but the merger with CCIV has been announced and is supposed to close in Q2. The price seems to have stabilized now too from the craziness of it the last two weeks. I'm holding long on both of them.

11. Folster

Folster he/haw

I'm much more curious about the price activity in relation to end of month options expirations. It happened in Jan and Feb. I think you we are seeing speculators and even hedge funds ride the predictable WSB wave as they attempt to "short squeeze" and "fight the hedge funds". I expect the price to drop again during the month and then ratchet up at the end of March. I'm tempted to throw down a little money at the roulette table once it hits the floor for the month, but I think the SEC is sniffing around and may put a stop to it on the third attempt at this. Options premiums have been crazy. There seems to be some legitimate price manipulation happening and some in the WSB crowd may be more useful idiots than idiot savants they see themselves as.

12. dscher

dscher Registered

The funny thing to me as a chartist is the fact it's moving completely sound to the technicals and support and resistance zones. It looks no different than any other of the hundreds of spec stocks that are traded every year making some speculators handsomely rewarded and others not so much.

13. BigRedRage

I see tesla as a future visionary tech company and lucid as a car company right now.

I'm mostly ignorant to lucid, all I know is they're making some sweet looking ev

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

14. BigRedRage

My target for AAL was 28. I shouldve sold at a 25% day when it hit like 24 because you are right. it mostly sits still and slowly grows. its getting to a point where I could potentially record more gains with other stocks. I was hoping for a faster rebound for them.

The last few weeks have been good so ill probably stay patient for now.

15. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

I'm seeing Lucid as more than a car company and as a tech company like TSLA. They already have better battery tech than Tesla. They're the sole Formula-E supplier if you didn't know. Like Tesla they also have home battery and other stuff coming. It's why I'm bullish on them like I am TSLA but not on NIO, FSR, etc.

BigRedRage likes this.