The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Now this is an interesting alternate reality series.

Premier is on Amazon Prime and it has also leaked to YouTube if you look around a bit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-man-in-the-high-castle-review-2015-1

Here's What America Would Be Like If The Nazis And Japanese Had Won WWII

Amazon Studios most likely has another hit with "The Man In The High Castle," one of many pilots being screened to Prime members. The show is smart, fun, and polished, and it sports a five-star user rating.

Produced by Ridley Scott, the show is based on a 1962 Philip K. Dick novel about a world in which the Nazis and the Japanese won World War II. Of all of Dick's classics, it was the only one to win science fiction's preeminent Hugo Award. Scott, who directed another Dick adaptation in "Blade Runner," started developing in 2010 what would surprisingly be the book's first screen adaptation.
You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen bits and pieces of this including a discussion one night on some news show. They talked about this book but the historians on the panel said that the alliance between Japan and Germany never would have lasted. They predicted that if Germany had one the war, they would have turned their sights on Japan versus splitting up lands and allowing Japan to become bigger. Interesting stuff.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Started watching this today. Its awesome! I am hooked after 1 episode.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only watched the first 2 episodes but recently just cut the chord and I am now a member of Prime and have FIRE TV. So, going to binge watch this after I watch Daredevil season 2.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a binge session scheduled for tonight. Looking forward to it!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I liked it. Look forward on season 2.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't want spoilers from those that have read the book, but did I miss how this alternate end of the war came about? (given that the films they are charged with delivering) portray
actual footage of the true iconic end of war events.

I'll go out on a limb and guess Hitler's scientists figured out time travel?

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't want spoilers from those that have read the book, but did I miss how this alternate end of the war came about? (given that the films they are charged with delivering) portray
actual footage of the true iconic end of war events.

I'll go out on a limb and guess Hitler's scientists figured out time travel?

Just keep watching the next season.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually, better yet, read the book. It's slow in parts but a short read. There are some parts the show does better, but I believe the book will do a much better job explaining it.

If it's a short read, does that pretty much mean season 2 will be the end of it?

Or does it mean the writer has more work to, if the show proves successful?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If it's a short read, does that pretty much mean season 2 will be the end of it?

Or does it mean the writer has more work to, if the show proves successful?

I think season 2 can be the end of it but, to be honest, they can stretch it as long as they like. It's not like GoT, where they started out so close to the plot that it was a book a season. It's diverged quite enough for the show runners to go crazy with it.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I really liked this. Had a "WTF" Lost vibe towards the end.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow! I'm surprised there isn't more chatter about this show. Just finished Season 2 and it keeps getting better.

I think these types of shows, that load up the whole season, makes for less talk on the forums. I bet if they did it like HBO and show one episode a week, these Amazon/Netflix shows would be talked about more.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still watching. One of my favorite shows!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ian mad at myself for binge watching too quickly. Now I sit here unable to watch more of it for a while. Great show.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Dude, the smoking in this series cracks me up. I mean I get it, everyone smoked in the 60's, but if you can find me a scene where they aren't smoking I'll give you a dollar lol.

I like the series ok but it's infuriating in a lot of ways I won't go into because I like you guys, and you guys like it plus I dont feel that strongly about it. :)

Seriously tho, the payola this show is getting from big tobacco must be in the millions lol.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Dude, the smoking in this series cracks me up. I mean I get it, everyone smoked in the 60's, but if you can find me a scene where they aren't smoking I'll give you a dollar lol.

I like the series ok but it's infuriating in a lot of ways I won't go into because I like you guys, and you guys like it plus I dont feel that strongly about it. :)

Seriously tho, the payola this show is getting from big tobacco must be in the millions lol.
I love the show but I'm curious what you find infuriating? You divulge without insulting us.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

I love the show but I'm curious what you find infuriating? You divulge without insulting us.

Me to!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I guess it's just the continuing Mcguffin of what the hell is going on lol. I mean we're two seasons in and we still have absolutely no idea how this happened, how it's still happening and who, if anyone is behind it.
Dont get me wrong it's super interesting. I just finished season 2 and I was totally enthralled the last 6 episodes so I dont mind as much anymore, but it's just like this carrot they are dangling. The hint of an answer is always just around the next corner.

But in terms of infuriating... When Juliana met TMITHC she didn't ask the most basic and crucial question of all... WHERE DO THEY COME FROM??? Like it seriously bothered me for two episodes. Multiple people have discussed the films and the question of where they are coming from is like, never addressed other than the Man in the High Castle was making them. So when Juliana met him she should have been like; Uhh so if you're not making them, who is? Where do they come from? But here's the thing about Juliana,,, she's super, super, super hot. So I forgive her. ;)

It's just aggravating that the plot really hasn't advanced in terms of figuring out how and why this is all happening. Is this just a superpower people have developed to warp from time to time?

Again, I REALLY LIKE IT! I'm just saying, that part of it annoys me. Like I said, It's just this carrot that's just going to keep getting dangled. Because now with the realization that they are just a bunch of parallel realities or universes, we're no longer wondering what happened that made us lose the war in our time, it's simply another universe where the war went a different way. So it's even more confusing.

The last few episodes were cool, I loved how it all came together. Cant wait to see what happens with Smith next year. I hope they put Joe in jail and he stays there all season 3. lol Joe is annoying. But in a kindof endearing way.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I guess it's just the continuing Mcguffin of what the hell is going on lol. I mean we're two seasons in and we still have absolutely no idea how this happened, how it's still happening and who, if anyone is behind it.
Dont get me wrong it's super interesting. I just finished season 2 and I was totally enthralled the last 6 episodes so I dont mind as much anymore, but it's just like this carrot they are dangling. The hint of an answer is always just around the next corner.

But in terms of infuriating... When Juliana met TMITHC she didn't ask the most basic and crucial question of all... WHERE DO THEY COME FROM??? Like it seriously bothered me for two episodes. Multiple people have discussed the films and the question of where they are coming from is like, never addressed other than the Man in the High Castle was making them. So when Juliana met him she should have been like; Uhh so if you're not making them, who is? Where do they come from? But here's the thing about Juliana,,, she's super, super, super hot. So I forgive her. ;)

It's just aggravating that the plot really hasn't advanced in terms of figuring out how and why this is all happening. Is this just a superpower people have developed to warp from time to time?

Again, I REALLY LIKE IT! I'm just saying, that part of it annoys me. Like I said, It's just this carrot that's just going to keep getting dangled. Because now with the realization that they are just a bunch of parallel realities or universes, we're no longer wondering what happened that made us lose the war in our time, it's simply another universe where the war went a different way. So it's even more confusing.

The last few episodes were cool, I loved how it all came together. Cant wait to see what happens with Smith next year. I hope they put Joe in jail and he stays there all season 3. lol Joe is annoying. But in a kindof endearing way.

I think that's fair. Actually the supernatural/science fiction part of this both intrigues meand turns me off It makes for an interesting plot because I have no idea where it goes. But this could have also been a really great show without it. Seeing Americans striving for freedom under both regimes would have given the same stage for the "how nazi/imperial Japanese America would look" concept and the fight for freedom would've worked in Red Dawn kinda way.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
OK guys. I watched the first4 or 5 episodes, and it moves so S-L-O-W, when does the plot actually start getting exciting? Plus it seems like EVERYONE knows about the movies showing the Allies winning the war. Do they EVER explain that?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
OK guys. I watched the first4 or 5 episodes, and it moves so S-L-O-W, when does the plot actually start getting exciting? Plus it seems like EVERYONE knows about the movies showing the Allies winning the war. Do they EVER explain that?

Hmmm, I'd say if you are 4 or 5 episodes in, you've got the correct feel for the pace of the show. It does move a little slow, so if you're looking for more exciting than it has already been I dont think you are going to get what you are looking for.

Much more of a slow paced, psychological mystery show than an action.

And no, they never explain jack squat on this show, which is one of my main complaints, but it's still good. :)

I mean, I'd watch Juliana play Uno most likely. :p