The Greatest Sandwich in The World.... PERIOD!

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All the talk about Katz deli and philly cheese steaks got me thinking about how much I, like Friends' Joey love sandwiches. I love a BS ham and fake cheese on white, and I love a piled high slow cooked pastrami on rye with nothing more than spicy mustard and a pickle spear on the side. Second place, without a doubt to me goes to the inimitable cuban sandwich, a crunchy chewy french baguette or roll filled with slow roasted pork, sliced ham, pickles, and cheese, slathered in mayo. (though my favorite cuban is a high end riff on the classic)

But, without a doubt, the KING of all sandwiches is the Vietnamese Banh Mi. It comes in several iterations with my favorite of course being filled with some sort of pork... And holy crap, heres a recipe I found on Foodnetwork.com thats actually adapted from my favorite banh mi shop here in Manhattan. Its at the back of a jewelry store in chinatown, and if not for the small hogie roll in the sign for the jewelry store, you'd never even know it was there. I dream about these sandwiches. I ate two the other day, 15 minutes apart, just cause I happened by two shops I had never eaten at before in Brooklyn's Chinatown. Had to try em! Washed it all down with an ice cold vietnamese coffee. Mmmmmmmm. ANyway, heres the recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_20571,00.html

Theres nothing quite like the heady sweet hot spice of the pork, the tart pickled diakon and carrot, the aromatic cilantro the creamy fatty sliced pate, and of course the sliced jalapenos to top it off and a generous coating of mayo as well. I want another one.... NOW!

Im so in love with them, Im even going to tell you Phoenicians where to get an amazing one: http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=20036207 Lee Lee Grocery. I can personally vouch for the BBQ pork and the roast pork, and if you like a good bowl of pho, stay fro some noodles too.

Anyways, please enjoy. Let me know if you try one and what you think. And better still lets hear about your favorite sandwich ( I wanted to say sam*ie) so bad, but ever since hearing about this Rachel Ray thing, Im scared to)

ENJOY!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the inimitable cuban sandwich, a crunchy chewy french baguette or roll filled with slow roasted pork, sliced ham, pickles, and cheese, slathered in mayo. (though my favorite cuban is a high end riff on the classic)
I like a good Cuban...

But, without a doubt, the KING of all sandwiches is the Vietnamese Banh Mi.
Theres nothing quite like the heady sweet hot spice of the pork, the tart pickled diakon and carrot, the aromatic cilantro the creamy fatty sliced pate, and of course the sliced jalapenos to top it off and a generous coating of mayo as well. I want another one.... NOW!
Yeah, I'll NEVER be trying this one...

My favorite sandwich is the Reuben...

Katz' deli on Central (just north of Camelback) has the BEST sandwiches around...bar none (imho). They're a bit pricey for sandwiches, but they're huge. Yummy yummy yummy.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lee's Sandwich Shop is a mile from my work. Since starting my job there in January, I have eaten there oh 25 times :)

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
damn shutd, Ima have to sample this Banh Mi! Sounds fantastic!

Let me tell you guys about this sandwich. It's only available at this one restaurant outside of Philly. It's called The Lighthouse.

Sauteed chicken cutlet with sharp provologne, roasted peppers and broccoli rabe, on a soft Kaiser roll.

Oh
My
Lord.

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lee's Sandwich Shop is a mile from my work. Since starting my job there in January, I have eaten there oh 25 times :)

Try their iced coffee, it is seriously to die for

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They must LOVE you!

Eh, we all look alike to them:)

Seriously - it is a busy, busy place. cash only, but (cheap $2.65 for the sandwich schutd describes). They have a wide-variety of sammies there - not just Vietnamese.

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was hopped up on two vietnamese iced coffees just the other day. man, I love vietnamese coffee. Its real real easy to make, for those of you who want to try it at home. Brew up a nice espresso blend Pico, cafe bustelo, whatever, and then instead of diluting with milk and sugar, just use a good quality sweetened condensed milk. HEAVEN!

Broccoli Rabe on a sandwich sounds like a good good thing to me, philly. And Linder, try one,. Get the BBQ, ask for it not spicy (they'll ask you, and they dont do the jalepenos. Its seriously the greatest sandwich in the world. No, the universe....

My problem with Cubans is that generally they arent executed well enough. Like I said the one I eat the most is a high end rifff woth pickled jalepenos instead of just regular pickles, and it has a 3 year aged chedddar on it, and prosciutto instead of ham, and the pork is a braised/slow roasted pork shoulder that cooks for like 8 hours. Im spoiled.... But a nice 4 dollar cuban sure has its place.

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man, I cant believe I forgot the dagwood! I was always bummed he didnt take the lobster outta the shell though

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Man, I cant believe I forgot the dagwood! I was always bummed he didnt take the lobster outta the shell though

It adds crunch. Like when you put your chips in the sandwich. :thumbup:

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Went to Lee's for Lunch - had the Bahn Mi with BBQ Pork, and an Iced Vietnamese Coffee.

Review below:

Apparently, it is not the same family as the Lee Lee Grocery around the corner. I will have to try that place as well.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/ahwatukee/articles/0618cr-lees18Z14.html

This quote from the article bothers me:

Customer Karen Wong of Gilbert said other mom-and-pop shops have sold Vietnamese sandwiches in the area for years, but Lee's is "more Americanized and more modern."

Man, I cant see how that makes it better. Also, soy sauce on a vietnamese sandwich? Heresy! Go to Lee Lee!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This quote from the article bothers me:

Customer Karen Wong of Gilbert said other mom-and-pop shops have sold Vietnamese sandwiches in the area for years, but Lee's is "more Americanized and more modern."

Man, I cant see how that makes it better. Also, soy sauce on a vietnamese sandwich? Heresy! Go to Lee Lee!

To be honest, I haven't noticed the soy sauce on the sandwiches I get. I would assume more Americanized/modern refers to the sanitary practices - Lee's is always SPOTLESS, the metal counters gleam, etc. It is a chain (non-franchised), so there is bound to be a degree of homogenity to it.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best sandwich I ever had was at Pedro's (or was it Paco's) in Mallorca, Spain. It was grilled ham and cheese during my pre-vegetarian days. I do not know what that man did to make those sandwiches taste so fabulous, but we ate there at least once a day while we were on the island.

The sangria wasn't bad either! :)

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You were eating Spanish ham. The greatest pigs in the world are raised in Spain.

Gizmo Williams

Registered
Reaction score
Da Vang at 19th Ave and Campbell make a really good Banh....and pretty much all of the rest of their Vietnamese food is top notch. And it is really cheap...two people can have quite a feast for about $12.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I love Lee's Sandwiches. Cheap and great sandwiches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard