The Grayson Allen thread

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Nor have I. I'll probably always remain a little leery of him but he's become one of my favorite players on this team and I never saw that coming.
The one knock is how bigger premier scorers will keep switching until they get Grayson infront of them on defense - we've seen LeBron and Paul George do it repeatedly

KD saw it happening in real time - he was covering LeBron and LeBron kept getting away to Grayson

So what did KD do? He started abusing Austin Reeves in the same exact manner - it was hilarious

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the same price, Allen or Cam Johnson?
Allen, all day. I'd love to have CamJ back but Allen has outplayed even the best we saw from CamJ IMO. And to that you add Cam's injury history. Neither one of them can really defend the 3 spot, which is where they'd play with Booker and Beal out there, but I think Cam would struggle even more there than Allen does.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Allen, all day. I'd love to have CamJ back but Allen has outplayed even the best we saw from CamJ IMO. And to that you add Cam's injury history. Neither one of them can really defend the 3 spot, which is where they'd play with Booker and Beal out there, but I think Cam would struggle even more there than Allen does.
I'm with you except for that Knicks game.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cam has rated as a plus defender, Allen has shot lights out but he is a really poor defender, he cannot keep people infront of him and and lacks the length to contest.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam has rated as a plus defender, Allen has shot lights out but he is a really poor defender, he cannot keep people infront of him and and lacks the length to contest.
Cam is definitely a better defender at the 4 than Allen is at the 3. But Cam is not quick enough to defend the 3 IMO and would be even worse there than the overmatched Grayson.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam is definitely a better defender at the 4 than Allen is at the 3. But Cam is not quick enough to defend the 3 IMO and would be even worse there than the overmatched Grayson.

I disagree. Cam is a far better defender at either position. I think he's better suited at the 3 than 4 to be honest and I don't think his quickness is a weakness.

Allen is shooting better and more confidently than Cam ever has but defensively he is a liability, he is best suited to guard off ball guys because he is active as a help defender but he's also really bad at getting through screens. Allen just can't keep people in front of him, it is his biggest weakness, by far, as a player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grayson Allen has quietly turned into a combo guard for the Suns.

He fills a lot of roles in addition to his shooting and effectively gives the Suns a third point guard.

Also, I think he does a lot of things on defense that goes unnoticed. He is tough as nails.

The way he is playing now is near star level.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grayson Allen has quietly turned into a combo guard for the Suns.

He fills a lot of roles in addition to his shooting and effectively gives the Suns a third point guard.

Also, I think he does a lot of things on defense that goes unnoticed. He is tough as nails.

The way he is playing now is near star level.
He’s like a not completely poor man’s Danny Ainge.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Do we have the ability to re-sign him? Dude is going to make 20mm plus next year.

Edit..... we do have his bird rights so we can. But will Ishbia add this to the luxury tax bill? That's a ton of money in the tax.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. Cam is a far better defender at either position. I think he's better suited at the 3 than 4 to be honest and I don't think his quickness is a weakness.

Allen is shooting better and more confidently than Cam ever has but defensively he is a liability, he is best suited to guard off ball guys because he is active as a help defender but he's also really bad at getting through screens. Allen just can't keep people in front of him, it is his biggest weakness, by far, as a player.
If I could trade Grayson for Cam straight up, right now, I would do it. I love what Grayson is doing here, and the fact that there is a discussion about this says a lot for him. For me, Cam would fit a more important roster need. Wish we could have both of them.

Of course, there is that little matter of Cam pulling $25m a year and Grayson under $9m.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d like to see them try to extend Allen but if they tried now it could be costly maybe later in the season if he keeps it up. The only way I’d trade him is if you get someone better which is tough to imagine at this point. No one outside the big 3 is really untradable if it made us better period!

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Grayson Allen has risen to the occasion and let's be frank - when he beat the (although aging) all star Eric Gordon for the starting spot he essentially beat Eric Gordon at his own game

What we're seeing is the big 3 trusting Grayson and how that trust is being converted into confidence - we're not talking about a hot streak - no sir - bout half way thru the season now

I don't know if we'll be able to pay him but damn - he doesn't shrink in the moment and that's what playoff basketball is all about

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If This is our long term Allen thread, I think we can remove the dirty play from the title. Allen has been amazing and clean.
I'm convinced that this thread is the reason why he's been amazing and clean. I'm also convinced that sugar is our friend, that two slices of pizza, one on top of the other, only counts as one slice calorically and that Autism causes vaccines.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we have the ability to re-sign him? Dude is going to make 20mm plus next year.

Edit..... we do have his bird rights so we can. But will Ishbia add this to the luxury tax bill? That's a ton of money in the tax.
That's the million dollar question. If the Suns somehow manage to win it all? I could see him doing it anyway. If the team gets bounced and needs more tweaks? Maybe not. That just makes our cap so much worse. This is going to be one interesting off season for the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard