Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lionsgate Enters The Forbidden Kingdom
Source: Variety
April 11, 2007

Lionsgate has boarded action-adventure The Forbidden Kingdom, which pairs Jackie Chan and Jet Li for the first time on the big screen. According to Variety, the studio is planning a September, 2008 domestic release. Casey Silver produces.

The Weinstein Co. is partnering with Lionsgate on the project, picking up distribution rights in Spain, France and Latin America. Lionsgate will distribute in the U.K.

Director Rob Minkoff (The Lion King, Stuart Little) is set to begin filming the movie in China on May 2 from a script by John Fusco.

Action choreographer Yuen Woo-ping, who has worked on films including The Matrix and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, is creating the fight sequences.

Based on the Chinese legend of the monkey king, the story revolves around an American teenager who discovers the king's legendary stick weapon in a pawn shop. The teen is transported back in time to ancient China, where he joins a crew of warriors fighting to free the imprisoned king.

Li is set to play two roles, that of the monkey king and the silent monk. Chan will pay the monk T'sa-Ho.

:thumbup:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Forbidden Kingdom

Release Date: April 18, 2008
Studio: Lionsgate
Director: Rob Minkoff
Screenwriter: John Fusco
Genre: Action, Martial Arts
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of martial arts action and some violence)

Starring: Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Michael Angarano, Collin Chou, Crystal Liu Yi Fei, Li Bing Bing

Plot Summary: In "The Forbidden Kingdom," American teenager Jason (Michael Angarano), who is obsessed with Hong Kong cinema and kungfu classics, finds an antique Chinese staff in a pawn shop: the legendary stick weapon of the Chinese sage and warrior, the Monkey King (Jet Li). With the lost relic in hand, Jason unexpectedly finds himself transported back to ancient China.

There, he meets the drunken kungfu master, Lu Yan (Jackie Chan); an enigmatic and skillful Silent Monk (Jet Li); and a vengeance-bent kungfu beauty, Golden Sparrow (Crystal Liu Yi Fei), who lead him on his quest to return the staff to its rightful owner, the Monkey King - imprisoned in stone by the evil Jade Warlord (Collin Chou) for five hundred years. Along the way, while attempting to outmaneuver scores of Jade Warriors, Cult Killers and the deadly White Hair Demoness, Ni Chang (Li Bing Bing), Jason learns about honor, loyalty and friendship, and the true meaning of kungfu, and thus frees himself.

You must be registered for see images

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Worth a viewing once everything else decent is knocked out. I will see it because I enjoy martial arts movies and it seems like a decent story.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard an NPR interview with Chan about this. Sounds okay. But the most interesting thing to come out of the interview? Did you know that his dad was spying on China for Taiwan?

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I heard an NPR interview with Chan about this. Sounds okay. But the most interesting thing to come out of the interview? Did you know that his dad was spying on China for Taiwan?
Did he do all his own stunts?

I'm looking forward to this movie. I really wanted to take my kids to it but I'll have to see it first and see if PG-13 rating is overkill IMO.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did he do all his own stunts?

I'm looking forward to this movie. I really wanted to take my kids to it but I'll have to see it first and see if PG-13 rating is overkill IMO.
The only thing that concerned my wife and I in this area was the handful of swear-words thrown around for no good reason. The "lesser" variety of swearing, but unnecessary nonetheless. Fine for adults/teens but I would rather not have my younger children listening in. Other than that, it was interesting and kept moving. Somewhat predictable and a lot of "wire" fighting, but entertaining and funny in a number of spots.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I didn't even recognize the swear words. In fact, I don't even remember where any were at (not that I'm saying they weren't there, I just don't remember them).

I enjoyed the movie except for the idiotic 20-year-old jocks behind us talking THROUGH THE ENTIRE MOVIE. My buddy and I almost got into a fight with them and messed with them while driving out of the theater parking lot.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Was a fun movie. I think my one daughter could see it but my 5 year old not so much. Bummer because my girls really like MA's.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I didn't even recognize the swear words. In fact, I don't even remember where any were at (not that I'm saying they weren't there, I just don't remember them).

I enjoyed the movie except for the idiotic 20-year-old jocks behind us talking THROUGH THE ENTIRE MOVIE. My buddy and I almost got into a fight with them and messed with them while driving out of the theater parking lot.

I hate it when people talk during a movie.

When I was a theatre manager, I took pride in shutting people up!

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Recently watched it. I thought it was awful. For some reason, probably the annoying kid, I just couldn't get into it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen