Reaction score
Kingdom of Heaven

Release Date: May 6, 2005
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Ridley Scott
Screenwriter: William Monahan
Genre: Action, Drama, Romance, War
MPAA Rating: Not Available

Starring: Orlando Bloom, Eva Green, Jeremy Irons, David Thewlis, Brendan Gleeson, Marton Csokas, Liam Neeson, Edward Norton

Plot Summary: "Kingdom of Heaven" is an epic adventure about a common man who finds himself thrust into a decades-long war. A stranger in a strange land, he serves a doomed king, falls in love with an exotic and forbidden queen, and rises to knighthood. Ultimately, he must protect the people of Jerusalem from overwhelming forces – while striving to keep a fragile peace. From Ridley Scott, the master of the modern epic.

Attachments

• kingdom.jpg
    kingdom.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 208

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I pray the veteran actors carry this film, because Orlando Bloom is a god-awful casting choice. Ugh. Too many directors selecting actors because chicks dig them, or the younger generations go for them. Let's go back to the most talented actors for the role, eh? What's next? Brad Pitt as Josef Stalin? Orlando Bloom as Jesus in The Passion of the Christ, The Remake?

All that said, I will see this movie, because it does look good. Please, Bloom, please don't suck!!!

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Stout said:
I pray the veteran actors carry this film, because Orlando Bloom is a god-awful casting choice. Ugh. Too many directors selecting actors because chicks dig them, or the younger generations go for them. Let's go back to the most talented actors for the role, eh? What's next? Brad Pitt as Josef Stalin? Orlando Bloom as Jesus in The Passion of the Christ, The Remake?

My sentiments exactly. I took a course on the Crusades in college and there's definitely a lot of stuff that is not going to sit well with people if they do this movie accurately. Of course this is Hollywood so I bet they have the history departments at universities across the nation railing against it but I think it looks like a pretty great movie from the previews.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trailers look great, been waiting for this one for awhile now.

Amazing how fast Orlando Bloom became a superstar actor...

Mike

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:

All that said, I will see this movie, because it does look good. Please, Bloom, please don't suck!!!

I think Bloom is a good actor, in what I've seen so far...I'm not too worried...

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
mdamien13 said:
My sentiments exactly. I took a course on the Crusades in college and there's definitely a lot of stuff that is not going to sit well with people if they do this movie accurately. Of course this is Hollywood so I bet they have the history departments at universities across the nation railing against it but I think it looks like a pretty great movie from the previews.

This is from IMDB.com:

Scott Praised for Accurate Muslim Portrayal
Director Ridley Scott has been praised for challenging the post 9/11 demonization of the Muslim religion and warfare in his latest movie Kingdom Of Heaven. The controversial film depicts a 12th century Muslim-Christian battle for Jerusalem during the Third Crusade - and is set to cast aside stereotypical views of Muslims and show the benefits of diplomacy over war in resolving Middle Eastern crises. Historians have praised the accurate character portrayals - in particular that of Muslim leader Saladin, played by Syrian actor Ghassan Massoud. Muslim scholar Hamid Dabashi says, "There are a few inaccuracies, in that he has probably made Saladin look too heroic. Saladin was always respected more by Christians than Muslims, and would show mercy to those who could afford to pay him. But this is a film that tries to deal as accurately as possible with the difficult issues of religion and warfare of the time. Muslims have nothing to fear." The film, shot in Morocco and Spain, hits screens next month.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Just went and saw this.

Sad to say, I like many of you had high hopes.

I thought it sucked. I think everyone in the theatre thought it sucked.

The cinematography was the only high point of it. The characters, character development, script, everything, was just stupid. Almost everything that happened to any character I was continuously left with a sense of "who cares" and "huh?"

Very disappointed. Won't even rent it or watch it on cable. It wasn't by any means Gigli awful, just very disappointing, especially considering how high the budget had to have been.

Stout

Reaction score
I thought it was an all right movie. Rather disappointing, but not for the reason I had expected. I thought that Bloom would bring down the script, but he did a very serviceable job with the crap that was written for him. I thought the cinematography was wonderful, the acting good-to-great, and the writing...well, I wouldn't want to even wipe my rear with the script :)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acting: just okay, though I suppose in the face of the material given them, it might be better than okay.

Screenplay: God awful. I think they had a decent story that they destroyed with very poor character development and motivation. Seemed like a lot of decisions were made on the parts of the characters that weren't very believable.

Set dressing/locations/costumes: Fantastic. Really neat stuff. :thumbup:

Cinemetography: As stated previously, it was a beautifully shot movie.

In all, I thought it was a decent movie, but for the life of me, I don;t know how they went to production with the script as it was. The basic story was alright, but the characters needed better writing, IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The movie was all right, Ridley Scott certainly knows how to make epic movies, but it's no Gladiator. Thankfully, it's no Troy or Alexander, either, so it's got that going for it.

****SPOILER*********

The thing that bothered me the most is that Guy and Reynard (the Templars) were such horrible characters. Disappointing because Brendan Gleeson is a hell of an actor. But I hate scripts that take villains and don't give them any redeeming qualities, especially in a large epic film like this. Guy was worthless--it would have been nice to show him have some kind of good in him, that makes it all the more interesting when he got captured. (And again, 2 problems--not showing HOW he got captured and not showing whatever happened to him)

Stout

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
The movie was all right, Ridley Scott certainly knows how to make epic movies, but it's no Gladiator. Thankfully, it's no Troy or Alexander, either, so it's got that going for it.

****SPOILER*********

The thing that bothered me the most is that Guy and Reynard (the Templars) were such horrible characters. Disappointing because Brendan Gleeson is a hell of an actor. But I hate scripts that take villains and don't give them any redeeming qualities, especially in a large epic film like this. Guy was worthless--it would have been nice to show him have some kind of good in him, that makes it all the more interesting when he got captured. (And again, 2 problems--not showing HOW he got captured and not showing whatever happened to him)

Agreed almost completely.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie was just boring and awful...I find it amazing that Ebert and Roper both gave it marginal thumbs-up.

I liked Orlando and the characters, but the story was horrible. So many dumb things in the plot....

- They all cheer for Bloom at the end for getting terms that they can leave with their lives...but come on....they are leaving their homes, their city, and they start cheering like mad men?

I think it would be a little more subdued than that...

- At the end he rides by his wife's grave, looks at it, then moves on in a blink of an eye...what did that mean? He's over her? God forgave him and her? The whole point of him going there was to get forgiveness for his wife and himself, and that's never resolved?

- A blacksmith who gets one lesson on how to use a sword suddenly is a master at it, plus is a genius war planner? Wow....

Anyways, it was incredibly long, and pointless to me...I thought it was a good idea, but just seemed to fail...

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
This movie was just boring and awful...I find it amazing that Ebert and Roper both gave it marginal thumbs-up.

I liked Orlando and the characters, but the story was horrible. So many dumb things in the plot....

- They all cheer for Bloom at the end for getting terms that they can leave with their lives...but come on....they are leaving their homes, their city, and they start cheering like mad men?

I think it would be a little more subdued than that...

- At the end he rides by his wife's grave, looks at it, then moves on in a blink of an eye...what did that mean? He's over her? God forgave him and her? The whole point of him going there was to get forgiveness for his wife and himself, and that's never resolved?

- A blacksmith who gets one lesson on how to use a sword suddenly is a master at it, plus is a genius war planner? Wow....

Anyways, it was incredibly long, and pointless to me...I thought it was a good idea, but just seemed to fail...

Mike

Pretty much agree with all your points except your first. 300 men vs. 200,000. It was either die or figure out a way to leave. He figured out a way to leave, so the people that didn't want to die cheered him. What's wrong with that?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Pretty much agree with all your points except your first. 300 men vs. 200,000. It was either die or figure out a way to leave. He figured out a way to leave, so the people that didn't want to die cheered him. What's wrong with that?

First off, didn't look close to 300 vs 200,000 if that's the case...

Secondly, they are Christians, this is their city, their home, etc...I can see being happy to be alive, but in light of realizing you are leaving and taking your families with you...I don't think cheering like you're at a NBA playoff game would happen...

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
First off, didn't look close to 300 vs 200,000 if that's the case...

Mike

I'm assuming you mean that it seemed like there were more than 300 men in the city? Because he did a pretty good job of making it look like 200,000 Saracens.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'm assuming you mean that it seemed like there were more than 300 men in the city? Because he did a pretty good job of making it look like 200,000 Saracens.

Yeah, he did do that...

Maybe I'm thinking of another battle...but it just seemed like 200,000 men would have easily stormed that wall if only 300 were behind it...

Mike

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We saw this last weekend.

Agree with the hokey Bloom being an awesome leader, almost Aragorn-ish in this film after 1 lesson in sword play.

The cinematography and costumes were fantastic.

The lead chick was hot as hell.

Didn't go to it to expect much, so it didn't bother me at all - especially beciuse we had free passes to see it.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jkf296 said:
The lead chick was hot as hell.

Didn't go to it to expect much, so it didn't bother me at all - especially beciuse we had free passes to see it.

Yeah when people say its bad it lowers ym expectations then I actually enjoyed it a bit. More than if I went opening night with huge expectations.

You can have that lead girl she was skanky and nasty!!!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't it universally accepted the all movie blacksmith's are master swordsman?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
You can have that lead girl she was skanky and nasty!!!

Wow you think Eva Green is nasty?

You must be registered for see images

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player