The Final Offensive Play

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not surprisingly, especially if you were there.

Wait a second... does that mean the play CALLED was a run and Kyler checked out if it? Which if yes, he rightfully should have, but if it was originally calling for a run at that point that’s idiotic with no timeouts and that little time on the clock.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You cant be 10 years in the league and have these sort of issues.

Guessing his fatigued and thinking off of instinct at that point. Heard the run play, didnt bother to assess anything else.

It happens

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wait a second... does that mean the play CALLED was a run and Kyler checked out if it? Which if yes, he rightfully should have, but if it was originally calling for a run at that point that’s idiotic with no timeouts and that little time on the clock.
This is a Packer fan posting this who is saying it was from panic. So dont believe that. However, I do believe the play called was for Kirk. Kyler just noticed the defensive look and AJ having one on one but there was no adjustment.
You must be registered for see images attach
I

Thing is even if Kirk gets it the DB is all over him and the clock runs out. So throwing to AJ was the correct move, but he should have been at least aware enough to look back.

You cant be 10 years in the league and have these sort of issues.

Guessing his fatigued and thinking off of instinct at that point. Heard the run play, didnt bother to assess anything else.

It happens
I still dont like the fact that at the 9 we only got one shot at the endzone. Its 2nd and 1 was the ideal time to throw it in the endzone or maybe even set up a pick play. Playing for the yard wasted so much time.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A perfect throw to end the worst day. Only way I can describe that play after the pain of rewatching.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Facts.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a Packer fan posting this who is saying it was from panic. So dont believe that. However, I do believe the play called was for Kirk. Kyler just noticed the defensive look and AJ having one on one but there was no adjustment.
You must be registered for see images attach
I

Thing is even if Kirk gets it the DB is all over him and the clock runs out. So throwing to AJ was the correct move, but he should have been at least aware enough to look back.

I still dont like the fact that at the 9 we only got one shot at the endzone. Its 2nd and 1 was the ideal time to throw it in the endzone or maybe even set up a pick play. Playing for the yard wasted so much time.

Except the coach flat said Green was.the primary read against cover zero

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What I read said the ball was going to the other side but Kyler checked out of it so pass not run

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you and a few others are making a bigger deal about this as than warranted.

It was a mistake. It really hasn't been fully addressed by the team so its all speculation right now other than General miscommunication. Green has still had a nice season overall. I thought Rondale was a way bigger problem.
Yes Rondale put them in that position (along with a lot of other issues). But at that point it was what it was. It was an opportunity to win the game. Whatever happened before happened. But the game was right there for the taking. Had an almost perfect set. Kyler made the right read. Kyler made the right throw. And then AJ Green happened. No matter what the miscommunication I have yet to read anyone’s explanation here that makes one iota of sense and literally not a single national journalist is even trying to make sense of it . . . because there’s no legitimate reason that could exist for aj greens action there. So bigger deal than is warranted? If you want to say losing the game when it was there for the winning is me making a bigger deal, then yeah I’m making a bigger deal. But that’s what it came down to. That’s where the ballgame was. Can’t change what happened before that play. You either catch that perfectly thrown ball one-on-one being covered by a street free agent and win the ballgame or you . . . do whatever the hell aj green was doing and lose the ballgame. Yup, it’s unfortunately that simple on that play.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honestly Im less upset about the final and more upset we had so much trouble with a team missing 11 starters.

I get we were missing Watt, Hop and Hudson. However, Rodgers would have killed to have our wr core and probably our Oline. Vance played soft against a team with no real wrs.

I would have felt much better about the ending if it was against a fully healthy Packers team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly Im less upset about the final and more upset we had so much trouble with a team missing 11 starters.

I get we were missing Watt, Hop and Hudson. However, Rodgers would have killed to have our wr core and probably our Oline. Vance played soft against a team with no real wrs.

I would have felt much better about the ending if it was against a fully healthy Packers team.

11 starters... on a short week... on the road.

Yeah, I think the lights shined a little too bright for us at the beginning, gave a good team with a history of success confidence and then we regrouped almost fast enough and ended with a mind-numbing mistake. First super close game of the year and we saw our inexperience rear its ugly head.

Hopefully next time we’re prepared.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think that's overstated. It's 2nd down. With trips on the left the right side of the field is wide open. Murray could easily run it to the right with Beechum and Edmonds blocking and worse case scenario he runs out of bounds and takes 4 seconds off the clock.

It's not like he would run it up the gut and risk getting tackled inbounds. On saying that I don't think a run play was called. But it wouldn;t have been that dumb if they had looking at what was available.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
11 starters... on a short week... on the road.

Yeah, I think the lights shined a little too bright for us at the beginning, gave a good team with a history of success confidence and then we regrouped almost fast enough and ended with a mind-numbing mistake. First super close game of the year and we saw our inexperience rear its ugly head.

Hopefully next time we’re prepared.
In fairness we were dealing with HC/playcaller who was coming off Covid. The Packers were betting on Kliff being too cute/rusty with the offense in order to stay in the game. And thats exactly what happened. He didnt get to truly run practice with the team in weeks to have a better feel for the game. Was hoping the Texans game slow start was working the kinks out but it carried over. Probably calls more running plays that fit Harlow/Josh Jones if he had real full go practices with them.

Hopefully we pick things up against the 49ers. Browns game we really looked like the best team in the league. Hopefully we can get back rolling.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was a run play yet Green didn’t hear the audible from Murray because of the loud noise. That makes a lot more sense and it almost can be excused. Blame the freakin Pack fans AT HOME then the 10 year vet.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think that's overstated. It's 2nd down. With trips on the left the right side of the field is wide open. Murray could easily run it to the right with Beechum and Edmonds blocking and worse case scenario he runs out of bounds and takes 4 seconds off the clock.

It's not like he would run it up the gut and risk getting tackled inbounds. On saying that I don't think a run play was called. But it wouldn;t have been that dumb if they had looking at what was available.
If gets tackled inbounds game over. No coach would ever call that.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It was a pass play meant to go to the left side of the field, but Murray audibled to Green on the right side and apparently he didn't hear the audible. Still can't wrap my head around why he wouldn't look back to the play regardless.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That last play still stings...oh well

I forget about it. Then have flash backs and feel freshly traumatized again. I might need therapy.

I keep thinking of it like a movie where the good guy fights his way through wave after wave of bad guys to reach the big boss and save his girlfriend and after all that effort he gets there, he's about to save the day.... and the boss just shoots him in the face.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I waited until things calmed down, anticipating time might loosen a few tongues. Sooner Lou’s post is close to what I’m hearing. However, I want to note you don’t lose a game on one play. The Cards played a lousy first half and we’re lucky to be in it at the end.

The play called in the huddle was a slant to a left side receiver. Green’s job would have been to cutoff his defender from assisting in coverage toward the center, especially if the play got strung out. Murray did audible to Green who was so far outside hearing the trigger clearly was difficult. Murray also used a hand signal to alert an audible was called. I kept reading Green should have assessed the situation better. Simply put, that’s not his job. Especially when you look at the odd play calling this team has exhibited. As to Murray limping, I can recall numerous time I’ve seen a WR limp around then bust off a 40 yard fly pattern; gamesmanship. I am certain Murray didn’t go in the huddle announcing “I’m hurt.” Green did what he believed he was supposed to do; neutralize his defender. He did it well. I don’t blame Murray but there are things you can do. Some teams have other ways of letting a receiver know he is the target. Bending forward then shifting right first then left when calling signals alerts a WR or TE. In some systems. Even if the opposition reads it it’s too late to realign the defense. Green’s defender had no help. He couldn’t make an adjustment. I’ve watched the play several times. At no point did Green appear to be running a route. Did Murray have the time to hesitate and make certain Green heard the audible? Even if Murray’s tackled for a loss it’s an easy field goal. The QB typically wants that ball out quickly, so the instinct would be to throw it without looking.
When you let a game come down to one play at the end, it often seems insanity follows.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I waited until things calmed down, anticipating time might loosen a few tongues. Sooner Lou’s post is close to what I’m hearing. However, I want to note you don’t lose a game on one play. The Cards played a lousy first half and we’re lucky to be in it at the end.

The play called in the huddle was a slant to a left side receiver. Green’s job would have been to cutoff his defender from assisting in coverage toward the center, especially if the play got strung out. Murray did audible to Green who was so far outside hearing the trigger clearly was difficult. Murray also used a hand signal to alert an audible was called. I kept reading Green should have assessed the situation better. Simply put, that’s not his job. Especially when you look at the odd play calling this team has exhibited. As to Murray limping, I can recall numerous time I’ve seen a WR limp around then bust off a 40 yard fly pattern; gamesmanship. I am certain Murray didn’t go in the huddle announcing “I’m hurt.” Green did what he believed he was supposed to do; neutralize his defender. He did it well. I don’t blame Murray but there are things you can do. Some teams have other ways of letting a receiver know he is the target. Bending forward then shifting right first then left when calling signals alerts a WR or TE. In some systems. Even if the opposition reads it it’s too late to realign the defense. Green’s defender had no help. He couldn’t make an adjustment. I’ve watched the play several times. At no point did Green appear to be running a route. Did Murray have the time to hesitate and make certain Green heard the audible? Even if Murray’s tackled for a loss it’s an easy field goal. The QB typically wants that ball out quickly, so the instinct would be to throw it without looking.
When you let a game come down to one play at the end, it often seems insanity follows.

Not having several thousand shouting Cheese heads might have helped.

Sad thing is Kirk ran the slant and was also open. Probably could have stayed with the original call, although I don't blame Kyler for calling the audible. It was a sensible call and exactly what I want Kyler to be doing.

Although would probably be good to confirm your very wide receiver heard the audible in a noisy situation.

Or considering its likely Green would be in single coverage make sure he's aware of a possible audible in the huddle.

Live and learn.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Shannon Sharpe said the other day once the safety came down thats as automatic for the WR even if he didnt hear the check. Fade stop is pretty much the go to play based on alignment and coverage. It still keeps the corner from getting there if Kyler targeted Kirk.
Not having several thousand shouting Cheese heads might have helped.

Sad thing is Kirk ran the slant and was also open. Probably could have stayed with the original call, although I don't blame Kyler for calling the audible. It was a sensible call and exactly what I want Kyler to be doing.

Although would probably be good to confirm your very wide receiver heard the audible in a noisy situation.

Or considering its likely Green would be in single coverage make sure he's aware of a possible audible in the huddle.

Live and learn.
No he wasnt. The safety is sitting/expecting him to try to cross his face. He knows where they are sending the pressure. Kirk likely wouldnt have time to get all the way over. At best Kirk catches it and is tackled at the one the way the pressure was coming. Only other option would have been Murray trying to extend the play or deciding to run to his left immediately once he recognized 0 blitz. Problem is he was hurt on the designed running play the play before.

Thats what makes the decision to run Chase bad as well. It wasted a timeout. Thus killing a chance for us to throw a catch and run kinda pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard