The Fall of Nash

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Suns didn't want to keep him. Most posters here wanted him gone. When you dump someone, you don't get to choose where that person ends up afterward, or with whom. He had every right to go play for whomever he wanted after the Suns made it clear they were moving in another direction. The notion that he should have just retired to appease those Suns fans who didn't want him on their team but also didn't want him on a rival team is preposterous. And it actually worked out better for the Suns, because they got something in return for an unrestricted free agent.

I still don't understand the hate towards Nash. Not once did he say he wanted to be traded, not once did he complain about anything, not once was he anything but an exemplary leader in Phoenix. He was old, we needed to rebuild, and he went to the team that fit what he wanted and needed.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad the Lakers are suffering, but I take no pleasure in Nash being a shell of his former self.

These.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
As far as what he is going through now, Steve chose millions of dollars over recognizing his physical limitations. That was his choice! I don't feel sorry for him going through it. He could have retired with dignity, a choice every sports figure his age has to make.

Nash was still playing at a very high level when the he and the Suns parted ways. He wanted to try and win a ring while staying close to his kids. The Lakers gave him the best chance at that. (He thought. As did everyone else.) To say he was chasing millions and not recognizing his physical limitations doesn't make sense.

Should we have expected a decline? Sure. But nothing this massive.

Couldn't happen to a better team though.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I hate the Lakers as much as the next guy, but think about it. At the time, the best-case scenario for Suns fans with Nash going to the Lakers is exactly what happened. The team imploding with Dwight and dismal without him. He chose the Lakers? So what? It wasn't like he was going to the Lakers to become a road block to our championship hopes.

Hate the Lakers, but don't hate Nash. He's made his bed now, so he's lying in it. He's certainly not complaining, not like other teammates like Gasol. Now we see a once-great Sun decimated by injuries. Regardless of his current team, it's tough watching it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haters are going to hate. How quickly they forget the good years Nash had with the Suns and his desire to stay with the team. All Nash did was try to stay near his children in the Valley and ended up in LA to accomplish this. The divorce stuff came later.

This is completely wrong on the divorce.

I hate anything Lakers. Nash is now a Laker. I'm glad we fleeced them and that he's been a shell of himself. Call me a hater, but realize I'm a Laker hater, nothing more, nothing less. End of story.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is completely wrong on the divorce.

I hate anything Lakers. Nash is now a Laker. I'm glad we fleeced them and that he's been a shell of himself. Call me a hater, but realize I'm a Laker hater, nothing more, nothing less. End of story.

As I understand it, Nash's wife did not want to move to LA until after the trade.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Who cares when his divorce stuff happened? He signed a contract with the Suns, he fulfilled that contract without any issues. Suns then decided to facilitate a trade that returned 4 draft picks in return. Who cares where he went to play and why?
He fulfilled his contract and commitment to the Suns, and he likely would have stayed had the Suns wanted him.

Some of these "haters" really need to get a life and let it go.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
Who cares when his divorce stuff happened? He signed a contract with the Suns, he fulfilled that contract without any issues. Suns then decided to facilitate a trade that returned 4 draft picks in return. Who cares where he went to play and why?
He fulfilled his contract and commitment to the Suns, and he likely would have stayed had the Suns wanted him.

Nothing to do with getting a life. Dude made his bed, let him sleep in it. I'm thankful for his service to the Suns, but the day he decided he wanted to be a Laker I cut off all emotional ties I had with him. It would have been different had he gone to any other team.

It has nothing to do with divorce, or Nash-hate, or jilted ex-girlfriend syndrome or anything. It has to do with the fact that he's a Laker. He was so f***ing giddy to be a laker. I believe he said the team was embarrassingly talented.

We made out like bandits, but that's no reason for me to change my opinion of him personally.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have I insulted you personally in any of the conversation above? No. I just stated my reason why I don't like Nash anymore and am enjoying watching him suffer on a team I hate more then anything else in sports.

And I brought up the divorce thing because people said he went to the Lakers to stay close to his kids...which has proven to be bull since he tried to keep his kids out of LA. That's all.

If any of that offends YOU personally, that's your problem. Not mine.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is how I feel. The Suns told Nash goodbye, not the other way around. If anyone should have hard feelings it should be Nash. It's not like he did a McDyess.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with getting a life. Dude made his bed, let him sleep in it. I'm thankful for his service to the Suns, but the day he decided he wanted to be a Laker I cut off all emotional ties I had with him. It would have been different had he gone to any other team.

It has nothing to do with divorce, or Nash-hate, or jilted ex-girlfriend syndrome or anything. It has to do with the fact that he's a Laker. He was so f***ing giddy to be a laker. I believe he said the team was embarrassingly talented.

We made out like bandits, but that's no reason for me to change my opinion of him personally.

Bingo.

I understand that a lot of Suns fans DON'T feel the same way we do, but I see no reason to attack them for it like we've been attacked here simply for putting Suns first and everything and everyone associated with the Lakers last...with glee.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This is how I feel. The Suns told Nash goodbye, not the other way around. If anyone should have hard feelings it should be Nash. It's not like he did a McDyess.
Why does either side have to have hard feelings?

Steve made wonderful contributions to our Suns and it fans. Then he went to a team hoping to compete for another championship. His declining health was part of the reason they didn't.

Steve will still be up in our Ring of Honor, along with former Suns players who were traded away.

Time moves on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash going to the Spurs would have topped it off. IMO, it would have been much worse than him going to the Lakers. Good point.

Not for me...not in a million years. The spurs road blocked in one era. The Lakers road blocked us in every era. And I live in LA so that just makes it worse.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does either side have to have hard feelings?

Steve made wonderful contributions to our Suns and it fans. Then he went to a team hoping to compete for another championship. His declining health was part of the reason they didn't.

Steve will still be up in our Ring of Honor, along with former Suns players who were traded away.

Time moves on.

It doesn't have to be, but there are some fans who resent Nash for signing with the Lakers.

I agree, Nash will be in the Suns Ring of Honor. Also, he will be in the Naismith Hall of Fame. Then all the naysayers will jump back on the wagon.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He asked to be traded to the Lakers. And before anyone trots out "he wanted to be near his kids" stuff Steve have after going to the evil empire, remember this that he soon after got a restraining order against his wife from moving his kids to Los Angeles.

This.

Plus.... It really shows just how good our training staff is. As if we needed any more proof.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash is a lying sack of crap.. A week before he was traded said he would never be a Laker.. Behind the scenes he is working on becoming a Laker.. Said he only wanted to go because of his kids.. Uses the law to keep his kids out of LA.. The situation only isn't a complete FU to Suns if we didnt get those picks from the Lakers..

Even when Nash is retired and he returns to PHX for whatever reason, ring of honor, whatever.. I'm not clapping for the guy..

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Nash is a lying sack of crap.. A week before he was traded said he would never be a Laker.. Behind the scenes he is working on becoming a Laker.. Said he only wanted to go because of his kids.. Uses the law to keep his kids out of LA.. The situation only isn't a complete FU to Suns if we didnt get those picks from the Lakers..

Even when Nash is retired and he returns to PHX for whatever reason, ring of honor, whatever.. I'm not clapping for the guy..
Nash is a key part of the Suns history. Just as Walter Davis, who was in the drug scandal, moved on and is now in our Ring of Honor. Why not clap for the good times?

Citing the bad rather than the good, if it was bad, tends to mellow as time goes by. By "if it was bad", I am referring to a player who was past his physical prime blocking younger players from taking it on.

Remember, even when Steve was rockin' & rollin', every backup Point Guard failed because they couldn't handle filling his unique role. It is interesting that Goran seems to be doing it now that Steve is gone and with better defense.

Steve was great in what he did from bell to bell and when he was no longer capable of that stamina, he went to the Lakers and we got draft picks. 'Not bad for the Suns.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be, but there are some fans who resent Nash for signing with the Lakers.

I agree, Nash will be in the Suns Ring of Honor. Also, he will be in the Naismith Hall of Fame. Then all the naysayers will jump back on the wagon.

Are any of the 'naysayers' actually saying Nash wasn't great for us? No. He was and belongs in the ring of honor for what he did. But that was then and this is now and now he's ran to our franchises biggest enemy and slobbered all over them once there. Thus, he sucks right now because he's a Laker.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This.

Plus.... It really shows just how good our training staff is. As if we needed any more proof.

Yup...they somehow kept Nash upright, brought Shaq back to momentary prominence and pretty much resurrected Grant Hill from the dead. Literally, the next year for EACH of those guy, they pretty much completely broke down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are any of the 'naysayers' actually saying Nash wasn't great for us? No. He was and belongs in the ring of honor for what he did. But that was then and this is now and now he's ran to our franchises biggest enemy and slobbered all over them once there. Thus, he sucks right now because he's a Laker.

It's like what have you done for me lately. ;)

HooverDam

Reaction score
I wish the Nash haters would crawl in a hole and die.

Remember the Suns first star played for the Lakers once too:

You must be registered for see images attach

Its pro sports, the players don't take the rivalries as seriously as you do. Get a life.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish the Nash haters would crawl in a hole and die.

Remember the Suns first star played for the Lakers once too:

You must be registered for see images attach

Its pro sports, the players don't take the rivalries as seriously as you do. Get a life.

Jesus...really? We need to crawl in a hole
And die because we hate a Laker? Sorry, but it's i fathomable to me that Suns fans are now being actually attacked and wished death upon for enjoying the destruction of a Laker.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I see it, it's going too far to wish Nash's "destruction". I hope he goes out on the highest note possible without the Lakers team actually seeing any success. However, when push comes to shove, would I want to see him play well enough to give the Lakers any success? Hell No.

That's the best way I can put in into terms.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard