What needs remain in Free Agency and what can we afford?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If MHJ and McBride are fairly high volume receivers, a #3 and #4 receiver aren't getting that many touches. 40-50 catches from Wilson and Dortch. Then after that the backs and other receivers just need to chip in like 20-30 catches.

Source: 2023 Kansas City Chiefs stats.
Remember when Kurt Warner made a Steve Breaston be good?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Interesting we have 15 OL under contract and then drafted two more. Dudes better be ready to battle.
I'd say that these guys are almost guaranteed to make the roster:

PJJ, Evan Brown, Froholdt, Hernandez, Jonah Williams, and Adams.

Beachum and Christian Jones have a strong likelihood to make the roster. Probably means an OG/C is the next guy up since you have two back up tackles.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If MHJ and McBride are fairly high volume receivers, a #3 and #4 receiver aren't getting that many touches. 40-50 catches from Wilson and Dortch. Then after that the backs and other receivers just need to chip in like 20-30 catches.

Source: 2023 Kansas City Chiefs stats.
Chiefs had maybe the best defense in the league.

Mahomes sheer greatness overcame what was his worst season until the playoffs.

That is asking a lot.

Imo it seems like Monti is trying to rebuild his Titans team that went to the AFC championship game a few years back. Bend but don't break defense, stellar running game, #1 WR, multiple TEs, tough.
Vet QB with athleticism making plays off play action.

Edit: Monti got there the next year...but still.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd say that these guys are almost guaranteed to make the roster:

PJJ, Evan Brown, Froholdt, Hernandez, Jonah Williams, and Adams.

Beachum and Christian Jones have a strong likelihood to make the roster. Probably means an OG/C is the next guy up since you have two back up tackles.

I think if christian Jones show something in the training Camp then beachum Is the odd man out
Wilkinson or Tristan Colon will get a roster spot

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Chiefs had maybe the best defense in the league.

Mahomes sheer greatness overcame what was his worst season until the playoffs.

That is asking a lot.

Imo it seems like Monti is trying to rebuild his Titans team that went to the AFC championship game a few years back.
My point is that the Cardinals won't need a ton of production from WR #4 and #5.

From perusing stats from other teams, you don't see a ton of catches from WR #4 and #5 and most the players are pretty much scrubs.

The Cardinals have a higher opinion of Dortch and Wilson than the fans do.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think if christian Jones show something in the training Camp then beachum Is the odd man out
Wilkinson or Tristan Colon will get a roster spot
It's a possibility for sure. Wilkinson does offer G/T versatility, though he was a disaster at tackle.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a possibility for sure. Wilkinson does offer G/T versatility, though he was a disaster at tackle.

Yes he was terribile at tackle but he did pretty well at guard in the last three games, probably not enough tò earn a roster spot the following year

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Best position group in FA for vets is DBs...but we just drafted 4 so I can't imagine we will jump into that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best position group in FA for vets is DBs...but we just drafted 4 so I can't imagine we will jump into that.
Definitely safety IMO. There are still some really good guys out there, but we drafted one of those early too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals are really serious about building this team through the draft and not going after FA quick fixes.

Next year is going to be wildly different than the past two years under Monti since the Cardinals are guaranteed to have a lot of cap space and a lot less draft capital.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals are really serious about building this team through the draft and not going after FA quick fixes.

Next year is going to be wildly different than the past two years under Monti since the Cardinals are guaranteed to have a lot of cap space and a lot less draft capital.
Can they trade Zaven and Budda for a haul? Think of all the threads we can have just on that!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can they trade Zaven and Budda for a haul? Think of all the threads we can have just on that!
A winning franchise would do that but the cardinals Need to keep in the roster the face of the franchise

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely safety IMO. There are still some really good guys out there, but we drafted one of those early too.
You're right Mulli. Terrible names on this list.

• Justin Simmons
  • Eddie Jackson
  • Marcus Maye
  • Micah Hyde
  • Quandre Diggs
  • Jamal Adams
  • Tracy Walker
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Adrian Phillips
  • Tashaun Gipson
  • Kareem Jackson
  • Will Harris
  • Terrell Edmunds
  • Keanu Neal
  • Rudy Ford
  • Ryan Neal
  • Adrian Amos
  • John Johnson

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right Mulli. Terrible names on this list.

• Justin Simmons
  • Eddie Jackson
  • Marcus Maye
  • Micah Hyde
  • Quandre Diggs
  • Jamal Adams
  • Tracy Walker
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Adrian Phillips
  • Tashaun Gipson
  • Kareem Jackson
  • Will Harris
  • Terrell Edmunds
  • Keanu Neal
  • Rudy Ford
  • Ryan Neal
  • Adrian Amos
  • John Johnson
I guess we have heard of them.

Edit: veteran safeties over age of 30 are always great value. They have all just “been waiting for the right opportunities” and aren’t washed up at all

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Froholdt, Hernandez, Conner and White. I would be open to Baker as well but that comes down to $ more than the others.
I'd argue Conner is most likely a goner now, and this is a good time to make that move.

The other three, Id be down to resign. Hernandez has low key been one of the better Arizona Cardinals era OLineman.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'd argue Conner is most likely a goner now, and this is a good time to make that move.

The other three, Id be down to resign. Hernandez has low key been one of the better Arizona Cardinals era OLineman.
I disagree a little on Conner. Some of it depends on what role he is willing to take. I would be fine giving Conner 3yrs, 12.3 mil similar to the contracts of Eckler, Mostert, and Jamaal Williams. We are going to run the ball around 480 times per year and the load of that going to RBs will need to increase as Kyler gets older. Both Conner and Benson getting 175-210 carries per season isn't unrealistic.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I disagree a little on Conner. Some of it depends on what role he is willing to take. I would be fine giving Conner 3yrs, 12.3 mil similar to the contracts of Eckler, Mostert, and Jamaal Williams. We are going to run the ball around 480 times per year and the load of that going to RBs will need to increase as Kyler gets older. Both Conner and Benson getting 175-210 carries per season isn't unrealistic.
I'd like Conner at that number, but I'd argue that if Benson looks really good, the team would probably want to bring in a younger guy.

It's funny to see the Rams also going down the same route, doubling down on their ability to run the ball and trying to go the ball control route. Maybe we will see a slight reversal away from 4 WR sets and spread offense concepts in the future.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you saying Conner isn't RB1 at the start of the year?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'd like Conner at that number, but I'd argue that if Benson looks really good, the team would probably want to bring in a younger guy.

It's funny to see the Rams also going down the same route, doubling down on their ability to run the ball and trying to go the ball control route. Maybe we will see a slight reversal away from 4 WR sets and spread offense concepts in the future.
With the shell coverage that is now all the defensive rage, being able to run the ball vs light boxes is the path to consistent offense in the NFL right now.

KC made a similar adjustment.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
MVS is probably the best fit for FA WRs. He is the most vertical player on the market and long speed from the outside isn't really on our roster outside of MHJ.