The Durant Sweepstakes

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's an accusation, I think it is certified fact.

James Jones has said he does not like inexperienced players in interviews, and the roster speaks for itself - other than Ayton, who is leaving there are no players you can really describe as young on it. Even the 2 way guys he goes after typically are 25 or older.

My exact sentiments. We even draft older guys

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even the Suns summer league team consists of older players.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
For all of those who say Ayton is gone. This ain't my first rodeo. Anything is possible.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s the same exact trade we’ve been talking about with Utah just with Indy since they have Turner.

Bridges is in any KD deal.

I didn't like the proposed Jazz trade either.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
This all sucks. Finals last year, best record this year. Throw it all way? Typical New Suns Fans. Blow it all up. Rookies. SMH.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder what is happening right now in the alternate universe where the Suns drafted Doncic... could they be looking at a lineup of Doncic, Booker, Bridges, Durant and... whoever next season?

Nah, who am I kidding, it would still be the Suns. Booker was probably deemed expendable and we shipped him for Ben Simmons.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will not know Ayton's market value until the moratorium is lifted.

There are sign-and-trade options as well.
There are only two teams that are impacted by the moratorium. Meaning, that could be only Detroit and Indiana correct? I thought they were the only two teams that are left that could sign him to an offer sheet correct?

So, we already know nobody has come forward to pay him max in a 3 way trade. The moratorium doesn’t appear to have impacted any of those discussions.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are only two teams that are impacted by the moratorium. Meaning, that could be only Detroit and Indiana correct? I thought they were the only two teams that are left that could sign him to an offer sheet correct?

I believe the Spurs can. I'm not sure about the Pacers. I was hoping to hear the Suns signed Ayton to a new contract.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys keep saying those teams are effected by the moratorium. None of these contracts are “officially signed” until tomorrow but I don’t think there’s anything that distinguishes between UFA and RFA’s from announcing their intention to sign, is there?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys keep saying those teams are effected by the moratorium. None of these contracts are “officially signed” until tomorrow but I don’t think there’s anything that distinguishes between UFA and RFA’s from announcing their intention to sign, is there?
I am not sure it has any impact at all. However, the thinking might be that teams don’t want to tip their hat to the Suns and give them time to think about it and match the offer. The clock starts the second Ayton signs an offer sheet putting pressure on the Suns.

Not sure I buy that at all but we shall see. I think there are only 2 or 3 teams that have the cap space. Even the cap space sites are confusing so I am not sure.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to this it’s two teams that have the space to sign Ayton close to what he was asking. Ayton appears to have to take less than the 4 year Max with the Pacers. So really only the Spurs?

Spurs: $38.5 Million
Pacers: $27.9 Million

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Let’s make this about the message and not the messenger but Flex said on his latest pod that Mitchell wants out of Utah and would welcome a trade to Brooklyn. If Utah is willing to pay Ayton and take two of our picks (two more to Brooklyn) that would make an interesting 3-way. Again Simmons would need to be in the deal and I doubt Ainge has interest in that type of player/competitor.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
According to this it’s two teams that have the space to sign Ayton close to what he was asking. Ayton appears to have to take less than the 4 year Max with the Pacers. So really only the Spurs?

Spurs: $38.5 Million
Pacers: $27.9 Million

Spurs are tanking for the big Frenchman. I’m not high on DA but I’d think the Pacers would be given their current arc.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think most of the posters here are hoping for the best.

As I understand it, the Nets couldn't take Ayton's new contract if they wanted too unless it's a multi-team trade.

If a team gives Ayton an offer sheet I hope the Suns match and trade him at a later date if they must.
Seems odd.
You have a #1 pick and do NOTHING but misplay him and let things slip out like he's soft, plays video games too late, only wants money and may have beef with the coach etc..

Now our front office is sitting here wondering why his value is ****.
You know exactly why no one wants him YOU DID THIS.
So sit in that bathtub full of **** and deal with it.
Our front office is Wide Open ASS.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems odd.
You have a #1 pick and do NOTHING but misplay him and let things slip out like he's soft, plays video games too late, only wants money and may have beef with the coach etc..

Ayton put that stupid video game stuff out there all his own.

Same with his soft play on the court.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For all of those who say Ayton is gone. This ain't my first rodeo. Anything is possible.
Very true. Particularly due to the fact that we haven’t heard many teams expressing interest in him - particularly lately. But TJ is pretty insistent that his inside sources say Ayton wants no part of the suns and other than a single statement by jones we have heard nary a positive peep from the organization about Ayton or vice versa since an ugly end to the season. Guess we’ll see. I suspect we will see plenty of action manana.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This all sucks. Finals last year, best record this year. Throw it all way? Typical New Suns Fans. Blow it all up. Rookies. SMH.
Lol. Maybe one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen on ASFN’s sun board going back decades.

Ignorant, insulting and inflammatory. You hit the trifecta!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems odd.

I don't think that all of that came from the front office, much of it is directly from Ayton or from watching Ayton. I don't think we misplayed him either. I think we've reached the point that continuing to use him like we have will be misplaying him but his lack of focus almost forced us to turn him into a defensive oriented big man at the expense of his offensive potential.

And I think you're overreacting on the front office stuff too or at least jumping the gun. It's still early in the offseason process, we have no idea what the FO is planning to do or what they've prepared for.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

He also - before playing a minute of pro ball - asked players publicly how they stayed motivated after they signed their second contract . . . you know . . . this contract. Who is excited to see how keeps motivated?

And mind you, I’m still pro-sign Ayton. I just see all the factors that play into GM’s decision making.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I really don't get how anyone could blame the Suns front office for Ayton's own comments. No one other than he himself is responsible for his value around the league.

I know teams have questioned why the Suns won't pay him max money and that's fairly obvious, he's not worth it to the team. Compare his production to McGee or Biyombo and it's obvious that a max level Center isn't needed to be successful and Ayton isn't a max level Center given what he provides.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who ya got that's not as "Soft" as Ayton? Anyone out there that would come close?

Biyombo isn't as soft as Ayton. He's not as skilled either but he costs roughly 6-7% of what Ayton is requesting.

McGee wasn't as soft and made approximately 20% of what Ayton wants. Dallas signed him for $21 million over 3 years, Ayton wants $180 million over 5 years. There's a huge difference there, especially when you factor in luxury tax.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I really don't get how anyone could blame the Suns front office for Ayton's own comments. No one other than he himself is responsible for his value around the league.

I know teams have questioned why the Suns won't pay him max money and that's fairly obvious, he's not worth it to the team. Compare his production to McGee or Biyombo and it's obvious that a max level Center isn't needed to be successful and Ayton isn't a max level Center given what he provides.

Ayton is far too honest for his own good.

The video game quote was bad, especially coming out right at the end of the year, even worse was him questioning how guys stay motivated after they get paid, his agent probably had to go on blood thinners after that one.