The Durant Sweepstakes

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I obviously have some real questions about DA. I remember getting lit up here during his first Summer league game when I freaked out about his lack of Basic fundamentals. That said, I think even if the money was equal I would rather have DA than RG going into next season. As others have pointed out, I don't think you can play DA off the floor. I don't think his defense is elite, but it's good for the most part at every position. Offensive way there's just no comparison.

I also believe the"Lack of interest" in DA right now has a lot to do with the Kevin Durant situation not just for the Phoenix Suns, but across the league. It's not like this season's free-agent market is really hot and he is an RFA.

So what's the most people feel we should give up for Kevin Durant?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder what the consequences are if Durant stays in Brooklyn. As of now, it seems like he's going to get traded no matter what, and even if we don't include Mikal, for example, there are very few teams, especially contenders, that can offer as good a package as what we are offering.

The Nets feel like they are in the position of power here, but are they really?
Yep, we just have to wait them out if they are playing hardball.

maybe they are trying to spook us with the possibility of ayton signing an offer sheet.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Until KD comes out publicly and says trade me to my preferred team or I’m retiring the Nets have the power. If he had one year on his deal and was about to walk it’d be a different story.
He doesn’t need to say it publicly. Just to any team trying to trade for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Accolades are just that? Sorry, that’s a ridiculous response to a guy who’s been viewed as an absolute elite C for years in the league by coaches, players and press.

There’s a reason Ayton has never gotten ONE accolade. He’s good at a lot of things, not great at anything and doesn’t bring it every night.

Now you can keep saying Ayton’s more… but no one who covers the NBA, and more importantly, no one in the market for a Center in the NBA apparently agrees with you.

I'm not basing my opinion on accolades. I've made that clear enough.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I obviously have some real questions about DA. I remember getting lit up here during his first Summer league game when I freaked out about his lack of Basic fundamentals. That said, I think even if the money was equal I would rather have DA than RG going into next season. As others have pointed out, I don't think you can play DA off the floor. I don't think his defense is elite, but it's good for the most part at every position. Offensive way there's just no comparison.

I also believe the"Lack of interest" in DA right now has a lot to do with the Kevin Durant situation not just for the Phoenix Suns, but across the league. It's not like this season's free-agent market is really hot and he is an RFA.

So what's the most people feel we should give up for Kevin Durant?
I think much of the perceived "lack of interest" in DA has to do with cap room. Most teams don't have it and some of the ones that can create that space easily are reluctant to tie up their FA money knowing that we will almost definitely match any offer. And while DA might be worth a max contract gamble, is he really worth that max plus the assets it would take to make a deal with us?

As for Durant. I'd give up any combination of Crowder, Payne, Shamet and Saric plus 7 picks/pick swaps. And even that is risky IMO.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton should be better than Gobert
Ayton should be receiving the same accolades as Gobert
Ayton should....we've been saying that for a few years now..only thing Ayton should be doing now is being a piece so we can get a premiere player in this league. I've moved on from him

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's pure speculation right now. I don't see Ayton having the kind of power Marion had. Especially since Marion didn't want to leave and Ayton does.
Yes. It’s speculation. On a sports board.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not basing my opinion on accolades. I've made that clear enough.
I think the thing to point out is the difference in their overall performance and effort. Ayton might be more two dimensional. But, he doesn't put in the consistent effort/work that a gobert does day in and out. That consistency is what a lot of teams covet. Aytons inconsistency/lack of effort is what drives a coach and management crazy. IMO.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Speaking of...Simmons just deactivated his IG account today. I doubt he is a Net much longer
My only question on Simmons being moved, is I did not think he's been with the Nets long enough to be out of no trade window. I know guys have to be with a new team X amount of months before they can be moved again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Totally reasonable take. The problem is IF this falls through? The Suns will have missed out on a bunch of potential players that could have helped this team improve. It is kind of a catch 22 that becomes even more damaging should this fall through. Even if it doesn't? There were likely some deals to be had that the Suns had to freeze on because of all the proposed moving parts.
This is all true. Team had to make judgment call:

Go all in on Durant with the hopes it springboards you forward and keeps you a legit contender. Risk missing other opportunities.

Bypass Durant to focus on other options that likely keep you competitive but also likely have you take a step back from contender/favorite status.

Can’t do em both simultaneously. I know which I prefer, even if it’s tough to stomach.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all true. Team had to make judgment call:

Go all in on Durant with the hopes it springboards you forward and keeps you a legit contender. Risk missing other opportunities.

Bypass Durant to focus on other options that likely keep you competitive but also likely have you take a step back from contender/favorite status.

Can’t do em both simultaneously. I know which I prefer, even if it’s tough to stomach.
So… I gotta push back a little on this. How would the Suns going out and resigning Javale to his Mavs deal or say Jalen Smith to his two year deal have made any difference in the KD trade… unless we just didn’t want to spend the money.

We still had a gaping hole at C with only Biz coming back. And if we are really set on losing Ayton, we would have still needed a C. Solidifying C in either scenario seems like it could have been done and if KD did fall through, the pieces we could be looking for in an Ayton deal could have been picks/shot creators.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
From the Nets forum (wishful thinking)

Monster 5-team trade based on reports..

Nets give Durant, Kyrie, Simmons
Nets get Mitchell, Turner, Duarte, Mikal, Cam, Conley, PHX26FRP, LAL27FRP, PHX28FRP, LAL24/25swap, LAL28swap
Conley, Mitchell, Mikal, Cam, Turner -- Mills, Duarte, Harris, O'Neale, Claxton -- Curry, Thomas, Sharpe

Lakers give Westbrook, LAL27FRP, LAL24/25swap, LAL28swap
Lakers get Kyrie, Beverley
Beverley, Kyrie, Reaves, LeBron, Davis -- Nunn, Lonnie, THT, Gabriel, Jones -- Christie, Brown, SJ, JTA

Suns give Ayton(SnT), Mikal, Cam, PHX24FRP, PHX26FRP, PHX28FRP, PHX23swap, PHX25swap, PHX27swap, PHX29swap
Suns get Durant, Gay
CP3, Booker, Crowder, Durant, McGee -- Payne, Shamet, Okogie, Saric, Landale -- Craig, Gay, Biyombo

Pacers give Turner, Duarte
Pacers get Simmons
Hali, Mathurin, Simmons, Jackson, Goga -- McConnell, Hield, Oshae, Smith, Theis

Jazz give Mitchell, Conley, Beverley, Gay
Jazz get Ayton(SnT), Westbrook, PHX24FRP, PHX26FRP, PHX23swap, PHX25swap, PHX27swap, PHX29swap
Westbrook, Beasley, Balmaro, Bojan, Ayton -- Trent, Clarkson, NAW, Vanderbilt, Kessler
No thanks.

Aytin, bridges, cam Johnson, 3 firsts and 4 swaps

For

Durant, gay

That doesn’t cut it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So… I gotta push back a little on this. How would the Suns going out and resigning Javale to his Mavs deal or say Jalen Smith to his two year deal have made any difference in the KD trade… unless we just didn’t want to spend the money.

We still had a gaping hole at C with only Biz coming back. And if we are really set on losing Ayton, we would have still needed a C. Solidifying C in either scenario seems like it could have been done and if KD did fall through, the pieces we could be looking for in an Ayton deal could have been picks/shot creators.
Are you saying you think there are moves they could make short of Durant that would’ve kept them contenders?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I’ve said it before, they have the best potential package:

Some combo of…

Poole
Wiggins
Kuminga
Moody
Wiseman
Picks
Swaps
Yep. They’d essentially gift wrap another or two championships, in my opinion. Those picks would be low, but so would the Suns unless they’re acquired from another team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Here’s what Spears said on ESPN Radio on Sunday:

The one team, I’m telling you guys, is keep an eye on the Golden State Warriors. Golden State could have the best package for both parties. Jordan Poole, Jonathan Kuminga, All-Star Andrew Wiggins and former No. 2 pick James Wiseman.
What the Nets want is a young All-Star and perhaps a future All-Star. They are all under 30. They also want picks, maybe the ability to swap picks. But if you can get those four players, if I’m the Nets I’m very, very happy.
And for Kevin Durant, the Warriors are very familiar with him and vice versa. Like, he knows where to live in San Francisco, he knows how the offense works, he knows he can win a championship there. Yeah, he and Steve Kerr will probably need to figure some things out, but with each passing day that this carries on, I heard the Warriors have interest.
In terms of a young haul, in terms of people being happy on both sides, to me the Golden State option is the best option.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. They’d essentially gift wrap another or two championships, in my opinion. Those picks would be low, but so would the Suns unless they’re acquired from another team.

If they are going to do it, I hope they do it quickly and put us out of the sweepstakes. This is becoming like a reality television show.

Suns should have run it back with some tweaks.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
From the Nets forum (wishful thinking)

Monster 5-team trade based on reports..

Nets give Durant, Kyrie, Simmons
Nets get Mitchell, Turner, Duarte, Mikal, Cam, Conley, PHX26FRP, LAL27FRP, PHX28FRP, LAL24/25swap, LAL28swap
Conley, Mitchell, Mikal, Cam, Turner -- Mills, Duarte, Harris, O'Neale, Claxton -- Curry, Thomas, Sharpe

Lakers give Westbrook, LAL27FRP, LAL24/25swap, LAL28swap
Lakers get Kyrie, Beverley
Beverley, Kyrie, Reaves, LeBron, Davis -- Nunn, Lonnie, THT, Gabriel, Jones -- Christie, Brown, SJ, JTA

Suns give Ayton(SnT), Mikal, Cam, PHX24FRP, PHX26FRP, PHX28FRP, PHX23swap, PHX25swap, PHX27swap, PHX29swap
Suns get Durant, Gay
CP3, Booker, Crowder, Durant, McGee -- Payne, Shamet, Okogie, Saric, Landale -- Craig, Gay, Biyombo

Pacers give Turner, Duarte
Pacers get Simmons
Hali, Mathurin, Simmons, Jackson, Goga -- McConnell, Hield, Oshae, Smith, Theis

Jazz give Mitchell, Conley, Beverley, Gay
Jazz get Ayton(SnT), Westbrook, PHX24FRP, PHX26FRP, PHX23swap, PHX25swap, PHX27swap, PHX29swap
Westbrook, Beasley, Balmaro, Bojan, Ayton -- Trent, Clarkson, NAW, Vanderbilt, Kessler
Ayton, Bridges, Cam, 3 1st and like 4 swaps for Durant?.... Pound sand i will live with a soft AD for less than the max that no one is offering him

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave