10. Knight
11. Barbosa (not guaranteed)
12. Jones Jr. (not guaranteed)
13. Elijah Millsap (not guaranteed)
14. Alex Len (qualifying offer)
15. Alan Williams (qualifying offer)
16. Davon Reed (draft rights)
17. Alec Peters (draft rights)

Max roster is 15. Players that are under contract and on the roster can be assigned to the G League, but that does not let you expand your roster past 15.

However, a team could draft a player and not offer an NBA contract allowing them to sign directly with their G League team and retain their rights. This could be useful for Peters and possibly Reed.

Anyways. It looks like we only have to trim the roster by 2 depending on what happens in free agency.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Barbosa has had his time here and should go. No disrespect to him but I wonder if he will get the minutes to justify him staying around. He's always been a good player though.

Len should go but if the suns see something in him still then I guess he stays. The only reason I see him staying is out of pure desperation because we don't have a center of his size and age (except Bender). Len doesn't deserve an extension based on what he's done.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Hard to imagine Len staying around if he gets an from anyone else - and I'm sure he will. I'd guess something like 2 years, 20 mil - and he'll play hard as a sub, which he never did here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
1. Bledsoe
2. Booker
3. Jackson
4. Chriss
5. Chandler
6. Warren
7. Ulis
8. Dudley
9. Bender
10. Knight
11. Barbosa (not guaranteed)
12. Jones Jr. (not guaranteed)
13. Elijah Millsap (not guaranteed)
14. Alex Len (qualifying offer)
15. Alan Williams (qualifying offer)
16. Davon Reed (draft rights)
17. Alec Peters (draft rights)

Max roster is 15. Players that are under contract and on the roster can be assigned to the G League, but that does not let you expand your roster past 15.

However, a team could draft a player and not offer an NBA contract allowing them to sign directly with their G League team and retain their rights. This could be useful for Peters and possibly Reed.

Anyways. It looks like we only have to trim the roster by 2 depending on what happens in free agency.
I was certain there was a change this year and we are allowed to officially have 17 on the roster, provided two are in the G League.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's how the 2 way contracts work...

http://fansided.com/2016/12/23/nba-cba-dleague-salary-contracts/

Two-way contracts are here
The new change with seemingly the largest effect on the D-League and its players is the advent of two-way contracts. NBA teams will now have two additional roster spots (17 total now) to stash whomever they wish and most importantly retain their player rights. Right now the D-League is akin to the wild west, because almost every player is a free agent in the eyes of the NBA. For example, the Indiana Pacers had Alex Poythress in training camp, but opted to waive him thus allocating him as an affiliate player for their NBADL team, the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Though he played with them in camp and plays with their affiliate, any NBA club can sign him at any time.

Now NBA teams can opt to retain up to two players, still play them in the D-League if they are not ready to contribute at the NBA level, and not have the fear of another team swooping in on their investment. While overall salaries did not rise, ESPN’s Marc Stein reported two-way players will earn $50,000 to $75,000 for their exploits.

The trade off here is those players will earn more, but give up the opportunity to be called up by any of the 30 NBA franchises. The other detail to point out is there are now 60 additional roster spots to be filled and while some of those will be taken by international players, the majority will be fringe players who would likely have played in the D-League regardless.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was certain there was a change this year and we are allowed to officially have 17 on the roster, provided two are in the G League.

That's awesome! Hopefully we take advantage of it. Sarver has come around a lot since McDonough has been GM. Gone are the days of carrying the 13 player minimum to save money. Heck he ponied up and bought a G league team.

I really like how the G League is developing into a true minor league. It'll be even more important as it seems Silver is set on nixing the requirement a player must be 1 year removed from college, which I support.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought they would move Knight during the draft. Why is still on the team? Doesn't any other team want him??

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I thought they would move Knight during the draft. Why is still on the team? Doesn't any other team want him??

Nobody is taking Knight unless the Suns take back a turd or send a quality asset along with him.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

What? Don't you love having Knight and his three years left on his contract? Who wouldn't want that???

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What? Don't you love having Knight and his three years left on his contract? Who wouldn't want that???
I remember everybody talking about what a reasonable contract it was when he first signed. It still would be if he was even an average player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
There's a couple of roster concerns that must be addressed. Here are two major ones.

1. Brandon Knight.

After the abysmal season he just had his trade value has plummeted. It's almost impossible to trade him. But that isn't the only problem.

The true question about Knight is does he decrease or increase morale? If he's just a bench guy who's contract sucks, well it seems just about every team has one of those. But if he's constantly whining or griping that he isn't being treated fairly then he will tear down the morale of this team. And I'm not saying he is. But there is no question he's unhappy here if you read between the lines in his media quotes. If his numbers continue to drop this won't just get worse on the basketball court, this will get publicly ugly. No one wins when that happens.

I think it's obvious that one of his major problems is how he meshes with Bledsoe. The fact that Eric's running the PG spot really takes away from Knight's game. They both pretty much played the same when they played PG. Hold on to that thought for a second.

2. Eric Bledsoe

He is coming off a monster year. He just finished a season healthy. He's actually pretty dreamy as far as team leaders go and he's done just about everything we asked of him. All that said, he elicits major questions:

First, is he going to stay healthy?
Second, will he ever lead this team to a title?
Third, will there ever be a better window to trade him than right now?
Fourth, is he a pass-first PG that will accentuate all that Booker has to offer?
Fifth, will we be able to, or even want to resign him after his contract is up?

I think the answer to all those questions is no. I like him as a player, but I don't see him as a part of the future of this team.

This reminds me of Larry Nance in '88. He was a great player, but it was in HIS best interest to be traded to Cleveland and it was in OUR best interest to land prospects and picks. (Just by way of reminder, we got KJ, Corbin, West and the draft picked used for Majerle in that trade).

And just like then we need to do the same with Bledsoe. In the long run, it'll help both of us out. He should be traded to a contender for the rights of some picks and/or prospects. I don't think we'll ever get a better time than right now. A good franchise always sells high and never sells low. Which brings me to...

So let's say EB is traded away. The added benefit is that Knight can now slip back into a role he's more comfortable with, PG. He starts the season as the starting PG and he gets the opportunity to showcase his talent. We all hope and pray he takes advantage of it and his production goes back to 15-16.

If he produces then the second his value goes up and we get a whiff of interest we send him packing. Sell high again. He doesn't help Booker or this team in the long run either.

If not, well, we're screwed and have to bench a $14M player and get to eat his contract. But he'll be less likely to whine if he was given the chance and blew it.

With both of them gone, I'd sign or acquire an aged PG who has always been a pass first guy and plays solid D. He doesn't have to be great still. Just a solid leader who sets up his teammates and is a bookend defender with Jackson to hide Booker. He splits time with Ulis. (This player could be signed preseason or acquired in the trade for Knight. Rondo comes to mind even though I don't like him. He'd be a rental anyway).

With our team leader in Eric gone and the headache of Knight with him, well then, the Booker era truly begins.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bledsoe and Knight did not produce similarly as PGs, Bledsoe has been better across the board basically since Knight arrived. Also, Bledsoe has throughout his Suns career been willing to yield ball handling duties to another guard, he did it with Goran, Knight and Booker. While Knight tends to hold onto the ball and never let go. Then you've got the defensive factor, where Bledsoe is solid and occasionally incredible... and Knight is a turnstile.

Even if Knight played about as well as could be reasonably hoped I don't see how he still isn't a serious downgrade from Bledsoe, and on top of that I don't think leaving Knight out there with Booker will help Booker's development in the slightest.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm fine with trading Bledsoe if we can get a solid player in return that fits our window better, so someone a bit younger, and/or a future pick. Who knows what he'll net in return but if we can't get young pieces or picks then we might as well keep him.

Knight needs to go, without a doubt, but I think it's too soon to wave him. We'll probably have to attach an asset to move him, which makes me hesitant. If we can move him with the Miami pick this year I think I'd do that. That pick should fall in the late teens and early 20's and it saves us about 48 million over the next 3 years. What sucks is he plays the same position as Bledsoe so the chances of attaching him to a Bledsoe deal is incredibly unlikely. Including Bledsoe with Knight is selling low on Bledsoe but we need to attach an asset to move Knight, why not an asset who doesn't factor into our long term plans?

The move Brooklyn made with the Lakers for Russell and Mosgov isn't that different from what we'd need to do to move Knight, maybe not attach as high value of a prospect if we don't ask for a pick like LA did but I think that'd be close to the market rate. It sucks that Philly traded with Boston for Fultz, they're one team who might have been interested in Knight that had the cap space but now it's less likely. Also trading them a pick to unload him when they got a pick to help us get him would sting.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I think trading Bledsoe to a playoff team and starting Knight is a painful but potentially helpful way to go. I like Bledsoe and think he's worked hard to get better and has done what's been asked of him (improve shooting and leadership) so I hope he's okay being dealt to a +.500 team. Spurs? Jazz? Minny?

I don't expect much from Knight as starting PG but maybe the light has switched on now with the previous year's experience and giving him the opportunity. He's been a blind ball hog shooting deep twos with matador defence so I think it's a matter of time before Ulis gets to start.

Bottom line is I think we should trade both in the near future, and doing it the way Raze describes it makes sense to me.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Knight has three years left on his contract...you think teams are going to eat that salary so easily? I don't know what the rush is with trading him....what is our plan beyond that? Trade him just so we don't have to look at him? I don't want the suns to use picks to dump him unless they absolutely positively have a free agent in mind. Other than that what is the point?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think there is a good chance Bledsoe will want to stay after two seasons. Plus there are reasons to keep him.

1) He's been on the suns longer than most other (all?) players. That plus the fact he plays PG and is still arguably the best player puts him in a leadership role on this team. I don't think that should be underestimated. He's a big deal on the suns and might not be on another team. He might not want to leave that situation. As a matter of fact being the leader and bailing might leave a bad taste in his mouth....it's almost like he's abandoning his troops.

2) Why would Bledsoe want to leave if the suns are heading in the right direction? In two years time we could be in the playoffs. Booker/Chriss/Jackson could be dominating by then. This team will be exciting...he's going to bail then?...just when things are going good?

3) Why trade Bledsoe when he's in his prime playing his best ball of his career? Don't you want to see him play with our improved team? Don't you guys want to see some good basketball finally? I want to see some exciting ball now...I don't want regression. He played last season with no health problems...stop writing him off! Cuban wrote Nash off saying his back would never last...then Nash won two MVPs with the suns and played a lot of years out here. He never broke down.

4) A lot of you are worried about Brandon Knight creating chemistry issues. You should be more concerned about moral problems if the suns traded Bledsoe. How do you think that would over with the team? Trading their leader and best player...and for what? I think that would not be a good move if you are at concerned about team chemistry because by all accounts these guys get along good. Don't mess with it!

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also.. all this "trade Bledsoe" for value.. wtf? Who is going to run the team then...Ulis?.. Knight? You guys better start throwing some serious names out there before you monkey wrench this team. You better know what your doing before you throw the team leader and best player under the bus. You better be prepared to tank this team the next two seasons....or more.

Bled could have another five good years in him. If he walks in two then we get another pg... Its not the hardest position to fill especially in todays nba.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BK is not whined and griped. He just hasn't. He wants to play, he wants to start. We know that. He has not blasted teammates or complained. My problems with Knight are about how he plays, not how he behaves in the locker room. I, given his situation, have been amazed at his restraint.
Also.. all this "trade Bledsoe" for value.. wtf? Who is going to run the team then...Ulis?.. Knight? You guys better start throwing some serious names out there before you monkey wrench this team. You better know what your doing before you throw the team leader and best player under the bus. You better be prepared to tank this team the next two seasons....or more.

Bled could have another five good years in him. If he walks in two then we get another pg... Its not the hardest position to fill especially in todays nba.
its about getting value if we do not think we will be able to afford to resign him. He will be 30 and will get big money and a huge injury risk.

There are lots of pgs in this year's free agent crop.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I think there is a good chance Bledsoe will want to stay after two seasons. Plus there are reasons to keep him.

1) He's been on the suns longer than most other (all?) players. That plus the fact he plays PG and is still arguably the best player puts him in a leadership role on this team. I don't think that should be underestimated. He's a big deal on the suns and might not be on another team. He might not want to leave that situation. As a matter of fact being the leader and bailing might leave a bad taste in his mouth....it's almost like he's abandoning his troops.

2) Why would Bledsoe want to leave if the suns are heading in the right direction? In two years time we could be in the playoffs. Booker/Chriss/Jackson could be dominating by then. This team will be exciting...he's going to bail then?...just when things are going good?

3) Why trade Bledsoe when he's in his prime playing his best ball of his career? Don't you want to see him play with our improved team? Don't you guys want to see some good basketball finally? I want to see some exciting ball now...I don't want regression. He played last season with no health problems...stop writing him off! Cuban wrote Nash off saying his back would never last...then Nash won two MVPs with the suns and played a lot of years out here. He never broke down.

4) A lot of you are worried about Brandon Knight creating chemistry issues. You should be more concerned about moral problems if the suns traded Bledsoe. How do you think that would over with the team? Trading their leader and best player...and for what? I think that would not be a good move if you are at concerned about team chemistry because by all accounts these guys get along good. Don't mess with it!

All good points.

I don't think there's an easy solution. My only rebuttal to "Don't mess with it" is that "it" represents who were are now. I'm far more concerned with who we need to be.

If McD decides to keep EB I won't blame him much. I really like what Eric has done for this team. I'm certainly not writing him off. He's really embraced the leadership role and given everything he has to this franchise.

There's no doubt people will be upset if he does trade him. Like I said with Nance, people were pissed and depressed when we traded him. I was not a happy man when we trade Horny even though we landed Barkley. I was beyond pissed when we traded Finley and essentially Nash for Kidd (Still pissed about that one). Being GM is a hard job with hard decisions. McD has a tough call to make.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was on the other side of this argument a couple months ago when it looked likely we were going to draft a PG. I also heavily promoted getting value out of Bled before he walks. But I feel getting Jackson created a whole new dynamic for this team..a whole new excitement. I don't want to see that excitement extinguished trying to do the supposed "smart move". We shouldn't overthink this. If we trade Bled now we are committing this team to tanking for perhaps a few more years. After missing the playoffs the last seven years are the fans, ownership, and team really on board with more tanking? I don't think so.

We have to consider this. If by keeping Bledsoe and the suns showing improvement that might attract free agents...we could be gaining talent in part due to Bled. If EB gets traded that might make players cranky...Trading Bled could be perceived in the locker room as giving up on the team.