Some thoughts on the 2021 roster by position

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I wanted to get this out of my head so here are some of my thoughts about our roster this upcoming season. (Obviously some of this may change as the final few games provide more info)

OFFENSE

QB
-I think the QB situation stays relatively the same. The only FA is Hundley but he only cost 800k and unless the Cardinals do not want to have a 3rd QB under contract, you can't get much cheaper than that.

RB
-Drake is a FA and my guess is that he will want more than the Cardinals will want to give him based on their cap situation. His market should be god as he is likely the 2nd or 3rd best RB on the market. My guess is this leads the Cardinals to add a cheap, vet RB in FA and probably puts them in a position to draft a RB.

WR
-Many of us want to see the WR room shaken up but it is tough to see that happening unless Larry decides to call it quits. Outside of that, unless they trade Isabella, I think things stay the same. At worst, the Cardinals will offer Larry a dollar amount that is equitable to his cap % of this year with next years lower cap. It would put him in the 10 mil range. At best, Larry looks at his production and the team's success and bites the bullet for a year or does a Devondre Campbell type deal with a low cap number and a future dead number. I think it is a deep enough draft that the Cardinals may take a WR later and a true returner would be nice as well. But even then, unless they cut or trade Isabella, there isn't really a roster spot available as Sherfield is a key special teams contributor under contract.

TE
-Maxx will be back but the big question will be what Dan Arnold will want to re-sign. The Cardinals may luck out though as Arnold is at best, the 5th best TE FA in a down market year. I think he likes his role in the offense and Kyler will want him back so I am guessing he re-signs. Daniels is also a FA and he makes very little so if both parties are ok with the arrangement, expect him back as well.

OL
-I don't expect Beachum or Sweezy back. They both seem like their time with AZ is done. That means the RT job is up for Josh Jones to lose unless they use a high draft pick on a RT. There aren't any great RT in FA so I don't feel like they will go that route unless Marcus Gilbert retires as he is under contract.

-I don't see the team cutting Pugh unless they want to take that 7 mil and sign a big time FA. There isn't a good option on the roster so unless they sign a name, it doesn't make sense. Murray was signed to a backup deal. They could pursue a FA RG and keep Murray in the swing role.

-At C, I would expect to see Gaillard at C over the next two games and if he plays well, to stay there. There are some FA C's available if they want to go that route and have Murray and Cole compete for the open OG spot.

-Ultimately, I do expect the OL to be addressed this offseason and I would not be surprised if they sign a FA and draft a player.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Dan Arnold (as is Dennis Gardeck) is a restricted free agent. I would expect them to place a 2nd round tender on both of them

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
DEFENSE

DL
-I think the team brings Peters back. They both seem to want this to happen. I know Phillips has not really paid off to this point and so I would not be shocked if they pursued a upper tier FA on the defensive line but the price would have to be right. If not, and due to the bad DL draft, I expect a status quo approach with eyes on the development of Allen, Lawrence and Fotu and possibly drafting a DT with a late pick. A player like Labryan Ray out of Alabama.

OLB
-This spot is interesting. First off, Chandler Jones contract will need to be addressed. The good news is that I believe both parties will be interested in doing so. That leads us to FAs to be, Haason Reddick and Markus Golden. My guess is the Cardinals will want both back and the depressed cap space along with the depth of the FA and draft EDGE classes will keep the price reasonable to do so. If that happens, I expect Kennard to be cut. I think he has more to offer than what he has shown in AZ, but Golden surpassed him easy which also tells a story. Unless we cut Chandler or lose both Golden and Reddick, I don't expect any FA moves at OLB. The draft will offer us some options and I expect the Cardinals will be hard pressed to justify not taking one early to prepare for Chandler Jones aging.

ILB
-Unless the Cardinals change Isaiah Simmons role, I would expect to see Hicks and Simmons manning the interior for 2021. I am sure they will try to re-sign Tanner Vallejo as he is cheap and familiar. A FA ILB to back up Simmons or using a mid round pick to draft Hicks replacement is also a high possibility.

CB
-Another interesting position group will be CB. Patrick Peterson, Dre Kirkpatrick, Jonathan Joseph, Prince Amukamara, and Kevin Peterson are all FAs and Robert Alford will likely be cut. This will leave Byron Murphy and Jace Whittaker as the CBs on our roster. It is tough to see Peterson returning as he is arguably the #1 CB on the market and the Cardinals are very aware of his decreased productivity. After that, everyone else is replacement level so look for several inexpensive bodies to be added in FA. The draft class at CB is also a bit meh, but there are players to target. I expect the Cardinals to have these players scouted pretty well because there are definite tiers of corners.

S
-This all depends on how comfortable the Cardinals are entering the year with Jalen Thompson as the starter. If they go that route, I expect them to bring Chris Banjo back. With Budda, Jalen and Dionte all so young, I would be a bit surprised if they draft a S.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Dan Arnold (as is Dennis Gardeck) is a restricted free agent. I would expect them to place a 2nd round tender on both of them
Interesting that OTC and Spotrac differ on that. They differ on Kevin Peterson as well.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So, in summary.

Positions in FA
OG
C
WR (depending on Fitz)
RB (cheap)
DL (mid cost)
ILB (cheap)
CB (multiple low cost)

Positions in draft
C
OG (late)
WR (late)
DL (late)
EDGE (early)
CB
ILB (mid to late)

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good write up but I disagree about the CB class. I actually think it’s a good one.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think:

RB: Drake walks, and is replaced by an inexpensive vet, Chase, Eno and maybe a late pick

OL: Pugh gets let go. $7.25mm cap savings could be put to good use elsewhere. agree on Sweezy, with Murray stepping in. Could Gaillard + inexpensive Vet + draft pick fill the spot?

WR: I would like to add a savvy vet to the mix -- Emmanuel Sanders is a thought. I also recognize that they dont throw the ball to WRs not named Hopkins, so who knows. Just realized Kirk is a UFA this offseason. Fitz is the tough one.

TE: Dan Arnold is a UFA (at least per overthecap). Yikes.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think:

RB: Drake walks, and is replaced by an inexpensive vet, Chase, Eno and maybe a late pick

OL: Pugh gets let go. $7.25mm cap savings could be put to good use elsewhere. agree on Sweezy, with Murray stepping in. Could Gaillard + inexpensive Vet + draft pick fill the spot?

WR: I would like to add a savvy vet to the mix -- Emmanuel Sanders is a thought. I also recognize that they dont throw the ball to WRs not named Hopkins, so who knows. Just realized Kirk is a UFA this offseason. Fitz is the tough one.

Pugh has been solid. I’m not understanding letting him go.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I think:

Kirk still has another year. Interesting that sites have different free agency types on Arnold... technically this is his 4th year but he spent his rookie year on New Orleans IR, so I’m not sure the technicalities on that.

EDIT: Based on this criteria Arnold will be a RFA - In the National Football League, a restricted free agent is one with three or fewer accrued seasons (six or more regular season games with a team)

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think:

Kirk is under contract for 2021.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I wanted to get this out of my head so here are some of my thoughts about our roster this upcoming season. (Obviously some of this may change as the final few games provide more info)

OFFENSE

QB
-I think the QB situation stays relatively the same. The only FA is Hundley but he only cost 800k and unless the Cardinals do not want to have a 3rd QB under contract, you can't get much cheaper than that.

I think a better backup, with better running ability could be found on the cheap. But I am saying this without ANY research so I may be COMPLETELY wrong.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
OL
-I don't expect Beachum or Sweezy back. They both seem like their time with AZ is done. That means the RT job is up for Josh Jones to lose unless they use a high draft pick on a RT. There aren't any great RT in FA so I don't feel like they will go that route unless Marcus Gilbert retires as he is under contract.

-I don't see the team cutting Pugh unless they want to take that 7 mil and sign a big time FA. There isn't a good option on the roster so unless they sign a name, it doesn't make sense. Murray was signed to a backup deal. They could pursue a FA RG and keep Murray in the swing role.

-At C, I would expect to see Gaillard at C over the next two games and if he plays well, to stay there. There are some FA C's available if they want to go that route and have Murray and Cole compete for the open OG spot.

-Ultimately, I do expect the OL to be addressed this offseason and I would not be surprised if they sign a FA and draft a player.

Justin Pugh is overpaid, but that is the norm for a free agent signing. When Pugh is playing LG (and no where else on the line) he is good, overpaid, but good. I think you keep him around. Right tackle will be a stressful situation, never like letting a veteran that is doing a good job (solid/average/middle of the road) and replace them with a rookie that you really do not know what will be going on.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only thing I will say on this one, is I would hate to see Campbell leave. The ILBer position has been such a horrible situation for so long, that I do not like seeing a competent ILBer leave. That may be the past effecting my opinion tho. LOL.

Agree. Particularly given that the DC has started using Simmons all over the field and that Campbell can cover T-ends.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
curious to see how players approach this offseason

some teams have buckets of money to spend: Jags, Jets, Colts, Pats, WFT, Bengals, Chargers, Dolphins

but the other 3/4 of the league arent in a position to spend big.

Further, the Eagles, Falcons, and Saints are in cap jail. The Packers, Steelers, Rams and Chiefs have hard decisions to make. All will have to jettison contracts to get to the cap.

The covid shortfall that is taking the sal cap down is spread over three years -- so its not like 2022 just goes back to normal.

so: if you are Marcus Golden and the Cards offer you a two year, $6mm deal ($3mm guaranteed).

Do you take it? Arguably below market, but what will market be in this offseason with the cap going down 10%?

I think lots of good players are going to be in this situation --

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I know its against the grain, but if available, I would love to see Cards use their R1 pick on Najee Harris. Let Drake walk and have a great RB on the cheap for the next 5 years to compliment everything we want to do on offense. Usually I wouldn't be for it. But watching all the times this season that we couldn't pick up short yardage 1st downs or TDs without having to pass, is to me what kept us from building on leads we had or continuing good drives we were in the middle of.

Having Harris and Murray for an opponent' D to deal with would open up a whole world and complete our offensive juggernaut.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I would love for us to for once have a Kyle Pitts TE, but that doesn't compare to having Harris IMO.
I agree with the CB depth this year, and feel we could get a good one in R2. I certainly would be upset if we took a great CB in R1 however. I am tired of us having such a hole on one side of the ball each and every game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson