The Cameron Trifecta

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No, you need a UHD Blu Ray player.

PS5 or XBox will play them too.
I gave up discs when my last player broke about 12 years ago, figured everything would be digital by now...seems they want to make sure they still have something to sell.
My SIL has a couple * TB hard drives with her movies... but im partial to physical copies... is the UHD discs the latest tech?
dont want to invest if its going to be obsolete in a year or two

OP
OP
Dan H

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Digital is great, until the service disappears your collection.

VHS resolution was 320x240.

DVD resolution was 720x480.

Blu Ray was 1920x1080.

UHD is 3840x2160.

Now, you can get digital UHD, but it doesn’t look as good as disk because of compression.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Digital is great, until the service disappears your collection.

VHS resolution was 320x240.

DVD resolution was 720x480.

Blu Ray was 1920x1080.

UHD is 3840x2160.

Now, you can get digital UHD, but it doesn’t look as good as disk because of compression.

HDR is a very nice improvement on UHD also if the TV implements it correctly. More color accuracy and improved contrast ratio really helps the image pop.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
No, you need a UHD Blu Ray player.

PS5 or XBox will play them too.
On caveat to those players is that they don't support Dolby Vision.

I gave up discs when my last player broke about 12 years ago, figured everything would be digital by now...seems they want to make sure they still have something to sell.
My SIL has a couple * TB hard drives with her movies... but im partial to physical copies... is the UHD discs the latest tech?
dont want to invest if its going to be obsolete in a year or two
UHD is 4k and the latest like a couple others have replied. 8k will be on the horizon at some point but I wouldn't worry about that now. Nothing is shot in it yet and we barely get proper 4k now. It's getting better but a lot of 4k is 1080p upscaled. Especially FX heavy stuff like MCU. A lot of the effects are rendered 2k and upscaled. @puckhead mention HDR which is really the bigger gain going to 4k than the increased resolution. HDR give a wider color space than SDR so you get more colors.

What a lot of us do now is get the UHDs and then rip them to a home server (computer running smb or a NAS) and then stream them locally. You can do a 1:1 rip so it's full quality. Let's you have the easy of streaming to watch what you want at the best quality possible and you still the discs if you need to rerip or something. Plus you have your DVD/UHD collection to show off then. There's a ton of discussion on it in the cord cutting thread in Technology.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. I’ve been regretting selling my DVD Special Edition for a while.

Can you refresh my memory on the differences between the theatrical and the special edition that came out a couple years later?