The Big Summer of 2012

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
$arver and the Suns are keeping the powder dry this offseason to make a big splash next summer. Considering our ownership situation and a total lack of young talent, it's obvious that any top tier free agent would have any interest in coming here. That being said, any early predictions on who we'll grossly overpay in a panic move ala the Amare exodus?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
The Suns will be the only team (at this point) to have room for 2 max contracts next season. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Sarver has ruined any Goodwill the Suns have built up throughout their existence.

Shame. Though I doubt guys like Paul, Williams, or Howard would want to come here in the first place. Phoenix won't bring the endorsements that LA, NY, etc, will.

So I'm assuming that they'll overpay for a few fringe max players. Love and Westbrook are good examples.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will be the only team (at this point) to have room for 2 max contracts next season. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Sarver has ruined any Goodwill the Suns have built up throughout their existence.

Shame. Though I doubt guys like Paul, Williams, or Howard would want to come here in the first place. Phoenix won't bring the endorsements that LA, NY, etc, will.

if this team were run by some beloved like Colangelo they would... but Sarver? not a chance.

Reports are that Paul won't sign an extension if dealt to the Cs... I think we're gonna see Super Team Two up in NY where he takes less money to play with Melo and Amare.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
What he posted is not correct anyway

Denver has 17 comitted in 2012 + Galinari and whoever they resign
Indiana has 23 + Hibbert (and Hill)
LA Clippers 22 + Gordon
Minny 31 + Love, (Beasley, Randolph)
Phoenix 29
Sacramento 25 + Thompson, Hickson
Washington 34 + McGee

Well that is not considering that Washington could amnesty Rashard Lewis and have just 12 comitted plus the rights to McGee.

I assume that the teams would not want to renounce the rights to these restricted players.

That would rule out the Clippers, Wolves as you can't see them wanting to renounce Gordon or Love.

Among the other teams I think the Phoenix Suns are a bigger draw than the Wizards or Nuggets.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook if they get the full max.
So I'm assuming that they'll overpay for a few fringe max players. Love and Westbrook are good examples.
Don't know about Westerbrook, but I certainly would not mind ending up with Kevin Love. A frontcourt of Love and Gortat could go a long way. Is he worth the max? Well, considering that max for him will not be what max used to be under old CBA, he will probably get a number of max offers. And Minnesota might very well match.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know they're two completely diff player, but when I hear Love's name tossed around it conjures up memories of Tom Gugliotta.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know they're two completely diff player, but when I hear Love's name tossed around it conjures up memories of Tom Gugliotta.

Why? Other than color of skin and number of limbs they have very little in common. Or are you just suggesting that Love's career will go south due to injuries like Goog's career did?

Steve

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why? Other than color of skin and number of limbs they have very little in common. Or are you just suggesting that Love's career will go south due to injuries like Goog's career did?

Steve

I wouldn't say very little in common, but there are better comparisons. Both are very good passers and shooters for their position. Love is obviously a much superior rebounder though, and Googs was a significantly better defender.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

They are pretty much polar opposites aside from their skin color.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Kevin Love is the definition of a stat padder on a horrible team.

If your team is going to pay him a starting salary of 18.000.000$ which is the max then you are in deep ****.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Kevin Love is the definition of a stat padder on a horrible team.

If your team is going to pay him a starting salary of 18.000.000$ which is the max then you are in deep ****.

Yeah, I gotta agree with your second point, Slin.
Don't get me wrong, I think KL is a fine player, and I would love to see him in the Suns uniform, but only if his contract is reasonable. If he is the 3rd best player on your team, you're alright, but if he is the first or second, then you are in deep crap.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If Kevin Love was a legit 20/15 player then there is no way Minnesota wins less than 20 games no matter how bad his supporting cast was.

If you are the worst team in the league, nobody on your roster deserves the max most likely.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I gotta agree with your second point, Slin.
Don't get me wrong, I think KL is a fine player, and I would love to see him in the Suns uniform, but only if his contract is reasonable. If he is the 3rd best player on your team, you're alright, but if he is the first or second, then you are in deep crap.

agreed.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say very little in common, but there are better comparisons. Both are very good passers and shooters for their position. Love is obviously a much superior rebounder though, and Googs was a significantly better defender.

I confess I tuned out during Gugs years, but was he really a significant defender of any stature as the 4?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't remember him being a great defender. He was a competent defender, nothing more.
He was a much better scorer than Love though, in my opinion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take Love in a heartbeat. He'll never reach the Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Howard level but I think he can grow into that second group of Amare, Melo etc. Big guys almost always come to their peak later than the little guys and Kevin just turned 23, still has a lot of room for upside.

Steve

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Steve

No, not skin color... Geez people are touchy..

More because he's not a Top Tier FA, IMO, he's from Minney, the Suns would overpay and yes injuries could send him south.

I don't remember who the Suns wanted before they ended up w/ Googs.. Mcdyess maybe?

Would just seem like a bit of deja vu, that's all.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

More because he's not a Top Tier FA, IMO, he's from Minney and yes injuries could send him south.

I don't remember who the Suns wanted before they ended up w/ Googs.. Mcdyess maybe?

Who's touchy? I just don't see the comparison any more than I would if you'd just grabbed the names of two big guys out of a hat. They don't play the game in a similar manner. Googs was a pretty good player that fell victim to injuries. I see no reason to anticipate that will happen with Love but you never know.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

More because he's not a Top Tier FA, IMO, he's from Minney, the Suns would overpay and yes injuries could send him south.

To be fair, "injuries could send him south" can be said for any player. Now, if a player has a history of injuries (Amare, for example,) that is a valid concern, but it really doesn't make any sense in the context of comparing Love to Googs.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Offer the following
- Westbrook - 5 year 75 million (with 5th year as Team option)

- Oden - 3 year 30 Million (with 3rd year as Team option)

- Beasley - 5 year 45 Million (with 5th year as Team option)

Why Westbrook? - Combo guard who is emerging to be a top 5 guard in the league. 25ppg 8apg, Derrick Rose/John Wall neutralizer.

Why Oden? - Lakers, Spurs have shown Twin Towers > Star studded perimeter teams.
Oden on the Suns and the correct physical training for him would be perfect fit. He is a legit double double center who can dominate defensively without scoring.
Would love him next to Gortat against the perimeter oriented team, Suns will have advantage inside.

Why Beasley? - Potential to be an elite scorer is still there. Being on a chemistry-oriented team like the Suns can do wonders to his attitude. Imagine him maturing up, I expect 20+ ppg with 7-8 rebounds consistently.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I confess I tuned out during Gugs years, but was he really a significant defender of any stature as the 4?

I' wouldn't say significant compared to other 4s but I'd say he's significantly ahead of Love at this point. Googs did work hard fronting post players to prevent easy entry passes.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reportedly, Chris Paul is now requesting a trade to NY. He is apparently unaware, or does not care, that NY has nothing to trade for him. What he must have been made aware however is that if he wants to sign with NY as a free agent next summer, he will have to accept a big paycut. So the only way he can get the money NO can give him in NY is if he is traded there now, since under the new rules players cannot sign extensions for six months after they've been traded if the extension is for more than additional 2-years with 4.5% raises (far below what NO can offer).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reportedly, Chris Paul is now requesting a trade to NY. He is apparently unaware, or does not care, that NY has nothing to trade for him. What he must have been made aware however is that if he wants to sign with NY as a free agent next summer, he will have to accept a big paycut. So the only way he can get the money NO can give him in NY is if he is traded there now, since under the new rules players cannot sign extensions for six months after they've been traded if the extension is for more than additional 2-years with 4.5% raises (far below what NO can offer).

I wonder if these players are aware of HALF of the information we know. do you think their agents actually tell them they'll have to take pay cuts or that NY has nothing to trade for them or do they just say "you want it? we'll make it happen!" out of fear of losing them? i mean, seriously, when you see these players complain about things that can't possibly happen or be changed, you have to wonder if a) they can read or b) anyone actually tells them the reality of their situation.