The Big Summer of 2012

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Offer the following
- Westbrook - 5 year 75 million (with 5th year as Team option)

- Oden - 3 year 30 Million (with 3rd year as Team option)

- Beasley - 5 year 45 Million (with 5th year as Team option)

Why Westbrook? - Combo guard who is emerging to be a top 5 guard in the league. 25ppg 8apg, Derrick Rose/John Wall neutralizer.

Why Oden? - Lakers, Spurs have shown Twin Towers > Star studded perimeter teams.
Oden on the Suns and the correct physical training for him would be perfect fit. He is a legit double double center who can dominate defensively without scoring.
Would love him next to Gortat against the perimeter oriented team, Suns will have advantage inside.

Why Beasley? - Potential to be an elite scorer is still there. Being on a chemistry-oriented team like the Suns can do wonders to his attitude. Imagine him maturing up, I expect 20+ ppg with 7-8 rebounds consistently.

If anyone gives Beasley 45 million they should lose their job on the spot and have to sit in the middle of time square with a dunce cap and have people mock them constantly until they can cry no more

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say tank the season so they get a top-5 draft pick. Also trade Nash and look forward to the offseason.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If anyone gives Beasley 45 million they should lose their job on the spot and have to sit in the middle of time square with a dunce cap and have people mock them constantly until they can cry no more

Beasley's 20ppg 8rpg is worth atleast 10 on the market, but his character issues may lower his value to a starting salary of 8 million.

jibikao

Reaction score
If you are the worst team in the league, nobody on your roster deserves the max most likely.

I kinda agree with this. Love needs one good season with winning record to deserve a max. contract.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looks like there's a good chance that Paul will be traded before the trade deadline. It's also possible Howard may be dealt. Besides NY, Paul is also reportedly open to Orlando and the Clippers as a trade destination. NY may not have any assets to trade for him, but Orlando might. If that happens, both Paul and Howard would likely sign extensions in Orlando and be off the market before the 2012 free agency starts. And if you assume that any offers to top tier RFA's like Love will be matched by their current teams, that will not leave the Suns a lot of top tier players to pursue with all that cap space they are supposedly saving.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Beasley's 20ppg 8rpg is worth atleast 10 on the market, but his character issues may lower his value to a starting salary of 8 million.

his numbers are inflated because he played on a garbage team. bad things happen when you overpay for seemingly good player on terrible teams. factor in his history and he's tailor made for a Diaw type situation.

the MOST i'd be willing to give up for the guy is Pietrus/Lopez. gives us a year to assess his value, and if he doesnt pan out then we arent out much of anything.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like there's a good chance that Paul will be traded before the trade deadline. It's also possible Howard may be dealt. Besides NY, Paul is also reportedly open to Orlando and the Clippers as a trade destination. NY may not have any assets to trade for him, but Orlando might. If that happens, both Paul and Howard would likely sign extensions in Orlando and be off the market before the 2012 free agency starts. And if you assume that any offers to top tier RFA's like Love will be matched by their current teams, that will not leave the Suns a lot of top tier players to pursue with all that cap space they are supposedly saving.

This is why if the Suns are presented the opportunity to acquire good young talent on the rise they should strongly consider it whether it be in 2011 (not likely) or 2012.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is why if the Suns are presented the opportunity to acquire good young talent on the rise they should strongly consider it whether it be in 2011 (not likely) or 2012.
Yeah, although the Suns don't really have much in terms of assets to make such trades. Basically, they'd have to figure out how to get guys like Marcus Thornton, for example, before they break out and start averaging 20ppg.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am worried about this management team in free agency. Franchise crippling choices are usually made when signing the "just under the top" level free agents. These are the ones that fail and become bloated contract weighting down a frachise for half a decade.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I am worried about this management team in free agency. Franchise crippling choices are usually made when signing the "just under the top" level free agents. These are the ones that fail and become bloated contract weighting down a frachise for half a decade.

You must be registered for see images attach

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
or

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
or

3 of the worst contracts EVER given and all of them courtesy of Jerry Colangelo.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
3 of the worst contracts EVER given and all of them courtesy of Jerry Colangelo.
But the first two were bad only because of the severity of the injuries these players sustained after signing here. That's really not something you can predict, especially for players like Googs without any prior history of injuries. Both Hardaway and Googs played well here when they were healthy.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Colangelo made many terrible terrible moves...

The McDyess fiasco, the Quentin Richardson fiasco and I am pretty sure he played a role in not giving Joe Johnson an early extension.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colangelo made many terrible terrible moves...

The McDyess fiasco, the Quentin Richardson fiasco and I am pretty sure he played a role in not giving Joe Johnson an early extension.

Distorting history by taking a few examples out of context does not advance your cause and devil alum. As I recall Sarver was the owner when Q was signed and Joe Johnson was not extended. McDyess fled after a previous labor strike prevented the Suns from re-signing him. Bottom line, Ainge messed the whole McDyess situation up by not playing him at crucial times in a game and treating him as a rookie... which was sit him back then. This clearly did not sit well with McDyess even though he would be playing with Jason Kidd.

Also Googs was not a terrible signing until he got injured and was a makeup call after McDyess left. Marbury and Hardaway eventually begat Nash as money was cleared.

Also somewhere in there Colangelo signed two time MVP Steve Nash.

If you really want to knock JC go back to the DJ for Robey trade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Distorting history by taking a few examples out of context does not advance your cause and devil alum. As I recall Sarver was the owner when Q was signed and Joe Johnson was not extended. McDyess fled after a previous labor strike prevented the Suns from re-signing him. Bottom line, Ainge messed the whole McDyess situation up by not playing him at crucial times in a game and treating him as a rookie... which was sit him back then. This clearly did not sit well with McDyess even though he would be playing with Jason Kidd.

Also Googs was not a terrible signing until he got injured and was a makeup call after McDyess left. Marbury and Hardaway eventually begat Nash as money was cleared.

Also somewhere in there Colangelo signed two time MVP Steve Nash.

If you really want to knock JC go back to the DJ for Robey trade.

And I never thought Q was such a bad signing either. He was pretty good for us until his mid-season back problems turned him into a liability. He wouldn't have been my first choice and we would have clearly been better off signing Joe to a good contract instead of investing in Q but it's not like there weren't issues with Johnson already.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Q was the worst signing in the history of the Suns...

Because of Q we had to trade the #7 pick
Because of Q we did not extend Joe Johnson
We had to trade several picks to get rid of Q for Kurt Thomas
We had to trade even more picks to get rid of Kurt Thomas

Had we just signed nobody and drafted Iguodala and extended Johnson we would have been so much better. Let me add trading Marion for Camby.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN writers Marc Stein and Chris Broussard in an article updated 12-4-11 layed out the most detailed plan I have seen for the Suns future. Of course we all know about Carter being bought out.

The Suns and Carter amended the contract in June to delay the guaranteed-salary date in Carter's final contract year until after the lockout ended. Waiving Carter inside the first 72 hours after the league's schedule start of free agency Friday means that Phoenix would only have to pay $4 million to Carter and likely ensure that the Suns avoid luxury-tax territory this season even after trying to complete the re-signing of Grant Hill and moves with other potential free agents.

The Suns' plan, sources said, is to bring back Hill if possible and make a playoff run this season, then proceed to the summer of 2012 armed with salary-cap space to make major upgrades to the roster.

Sources said the Suns have yet to receive any indication from star guard Steve Nash that he wants to be dealt to a contender, which is why management clings to the hope that the two-time MVP -- who is also headed for free agency in July 2012 -- will retire a Sun.

It was the first time I had seen in writing from the media (not just my idea) that the Suns hope to re-sign Nash in 2012 and he retire a Sun.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Q was the worst signing in the history of the Suns...

Because of Q we had to trade the #7 pick
Because of Q we did not extend Joe Johnson
We had to trade several picks to get rid of Q for Kurt Thomas
We had to trade even more picks to get rid of Kurt Thomas

Had we just signed nobody and drafted Iguodala and extended Johnson we would have been so much better. Let me add trading Marion for Camby.

That's nonsense. We didn't have to do those things because of Q, we chose to do those things.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No we had to. We had to trade the #7 pick so we could sign Q for the remaining capspace.

Had we not traded the #7 pick we could not have signed Q and Colangelo stated that that is why they traded #7 to clear additional capspace..

All of the other moves were the results of overpaying Quentin Richardson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No we had to. We had to trade the #7 pick so we could sign Q for the remaining capspace.

Had we not traded the #7 pick we could not have signed Q and Colangelo stated that that is why they traded #7 to clear additional capspace..

All of the other moves were the results of overpaying Quentin Richardson.

The original story was the Suns traded the #7 pick because they didn't think Iggy would be there. The reality as I viewed it, BC tried to temporarily save Sarver some money so he stashed the #7 pick as best he could by trading it to Chicago for a future first round pick and for their second round pick (31) in 2004 draft which unfortunately turned out to be Vroman.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Sun ought to be looking at a way to turn that cap space into a high lottery pick. The ideal trading partner in that case would be the Clippers. I believe they have a Minnesota first rounder. They do not need more young players. They need to add vet leadership and stars.

I believe both Nash and Grant Hill would be interesting to them. Also, any space provided that would allow them to sign Chris Paul would be helpful.

If the Suns could manage two lottery picks in this draft, which should be a good one, they might have an interesting nucleus to build around. Then add enough cap space to be a player for a decent FA in the summer and we are in business.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With CP3 likely going to one of the LA teams, D-12 and D-Will teaming up in Brooklyn, WHAT THE HELL ARE SAVING CAP SPACE FOR?

Westbrook likely is to stay in OKC as their FO is very willing to give him a huge contract.

http://newsok.com/thunder-russell-w...r-his-development-as-a-player/article/3630149

Who does that leave us with? Just Kevin Love who might pick Golden State over us because of their improved defense and their need for an upgrade at PF. They can definitely afford Love if they amnesty Lee and trade Ellis or something.

The whole "we're saving up for next summer" is just bull crap that the Phoenix FO is trying to get us to believe in so that we won't be pissed off at Sarver during the whole season. Their just trying to save $$ for business reasons, not for basketball reasons.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With CP3 likely going to one of the LA teams, D-12 and D-Will teaming up in Brooklyn, WHAT THE HELL ARE SAVING CAP SPACE FOR?

Westbrook likely is to stay in OKC as their FO is very willing to give him a huge contract.

http://newsok.com/thunder-russell-w...r-his-development-as-a-player/article/3630149

Who does that leave us with? Just Kevin Love who might pick Golden State over us because of their improved defense and their need for an upgrade at PF. They can definitely afford Love if they amnesty Lee and trade Ellis or something.

The whole "we're saving up for next summer" is just bull crap that the Phoenix FO is trying to get us to believe in so that we won't be pissed off at Sarver during the whole season. Their just trying to save $$ for business reasons, not for basketball reasons.

At least we'll have the 14th pick to console us.