The Big Summer of 2012

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Worst case scenario - we have a ton of cap space, and nobody wants to come here. Then we need to spend up to 90% of the cap ceiling, and get stuck with a bunch of awful contracts. That would be grand.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Worst case scenario - we have a ton of cap space, and nobody wants to come here. Then we need to spend up to 90% of the cap ceiling, and get stuck with a bunch of awful contracts. That would be grand.

I'd imagine if the scenario played out, we'd just sign guys to one year deals to meet the minimum payroll. I don't think a scrub player would turn down inflated money for one year. If we can't get a big free agent, be prepared to see Pat Burke on a one year deal for $10 mil.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Seems like all the big name free agents are being signed this year except for Paul (but that will probably happen eventually). I even read that somebody made a big offer to Kevin Love that Minn will have to match. Who'll be left to sign?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Seems like all the big name free agents are being signed this year except for Paul (but that will probably happen eventually). I even read that somebody made a big offer to Kevin Love that Minn will have to match. Who'll be left to sign?
Kevin Love won't be an RFA until next summer, so teams cannot make him offers yet. The T-Wolves can however sign him to an extension right now and take him off the market if he agrees.

As for who will be left, probably not many top-tier free agents other than RFA's who will likely stay with their respective teams. But the Suns don't really have any other options. They did not have the cap space to go after guys like Chandler or Nene this off-season. They did not have any real trade assets to do sign-and-trades for those players or to acquire other all-star level players via trades.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Kevin Love won't be an RFA until next summer, so teams cannot make him offers yet. The T-Wolves can however sign him to an extension right now and take him off the market if he agrees.

As for who will be left, probably not many top-tier free agents other than RFA's who will likely stay with their respective teams. But the Suns don't really have any other options. They did not have the cap space to go after guys like Chandler or Nene this off-season. They did not have any real trade assets to do sign-and-trades for those players or to acquire other all-star level players via trades.

I'm sorry. It was Marc Gasol I was thinking of that was given an offer from OKC but he has decided to stay with the Grizzlies.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So let's recap for 2012 potential free agents:

Chris Paul- Stays with the Clippers
Deron Williams-Most likely staying with the Nets
Dwight Howard- LA or BK bound
Russell Westbrook-Contract extension soon
Kevin Love-Minny will most likely match any offer given out
Michael Beasley-Gonna be traded to Houston, Houston will definitely match any offer
OJ Mayo-Pacers will match once he's traded.
Eric Gordon- NO won't not match after they just gave up CP3 for him

Other guys include JJ Hickson (RFA), Javale McGee (RFA), Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Danilo Galinari (RFA), Tim Duncan.

This 2012 plan is COMPLETE BS. Sarver is fooling all the fans by telling them he's shredding salaries to sign superstar FAs in '12 but in reality he's just doing to save money for himself and not have to hear crap from the fans about it. An evil genius...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let's recap for 2012 potential free agents:

Chris Paul- Stays with the Clippers
Deron Williams-Most likely staying with the Nets
Dwight Howard- LA or BK bound
Russell Westbrook-Contract extension soon
Kevin Love-Minny will most likely match any offer given out
Michael Beasley-Gonna be traded to Houston, Houston will definitely match any offer
OJ Mayo-Pacers will match once he's traded.
Eric Gordon- NO won't not match after they just gave up CP3 for him

Other guys include JJ Hickson (RFA), Javale McGee (RFA), Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Danilo Galinari (RFA), Tim Duncan.

This 2012 plan is COMPLETE BS. Sarver is fooling all the fans by telling them he's shredding salaries to sign superstar FAs in '12 but in reality he's just doing to save money for himself and not have to hear crap from the fans about it. An evil genius...

I'm mostly about the games, I rarely pay attention to things like this so this one is new to me. Can you point me to the writeup or whatever where Sarver announced his plan for 2012?

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm mostly about the games, I rarely pay attention to things like this so this one is new to me. Can you point me to the writeup or whatever where Sarver announced his plan for 2012?

Steve
Its in one of the Paul Coro articles. Hang on...i'll look it up.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sarver's reputation became a concern for the Suns brass, which has cleared salary-cap space for July 2012 to make a run at top free agents. The class could include Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Deron Williams.
"I was concerned, and that was probably the toughest part about not being able to get the record straight," Sarver said. "It's important that Phoenix is viewed as a place players want to come to."

Your welcome.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've also thought the big summer of 2012 might include Sarver selling the Suns as excess salary will be shed.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your welcome.

Thanks. It was surprisingly a pretty positive article about Sarver. Although it doesn't really say that it was Sarver's decision, I don't really separate Management from Ownership with this group. As for the Cap space, there will still be players of value even if the biggest names end up gone. Also, what kind of outcry would there have been if we signed a bunch of mediocre players to multi-year contracts this offseason and they prevented us from diving into what was once viewed as a banner FA class?

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thanks. It was surprisingly a pretty positive article about Sarver. Although it doesn't really say that it was Sarver's decision, I don't really separate Management from Ownership with this group. As for the Cap space, there will still be players of value even if the biggest names end up gone. Also, what kind of outcry would there have been if we signed a bunch of mediocre players to multi-year contracts this offseason and they prevented us from diving into what was once viewed as a banner FA class?

Steve
You can't win without big name players.

And I'm saying we should just waste our capspace, but all this "saving it to get superstars in '12" talk is just BS. It's gonna happen unless a miracle happens.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You can't win without big name players.

And I'm saying we should just waste our capspace, but all this "saving it to get superstars in '12" talk is just BS. It's gonna happen unless a miracle happens.

I agree but am just hoping PHX uses some of those TPE that have stockpiled. What basketball sense does it make to not use them so the owner can line his pockets?

I say trade Lopez for Thompson & use a TPE for Mario Chalmers, I hear MIA wants to clear more room to land a PG, maybe Baron Davis is a target. My third hope was for Brandon Rush but he just got traded to GS for Sweet Lou...dear lord we should have offered up Warrick if they needed a frontcourt body.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
YOu do not want to trade Lopez now. He has virtually no trade value now after playing last season with back problems. It would be much better to get him some minutes this year and develop him in order to raise his stock.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
YOu do not want to trade Lopez now. He has virtually no trade value now after playing last season with back problems. It would be much better to get him some minutes this year and develop him in order to raise his stock.

Thompson is just wasting away on the bench in SAC, they are going to lose Daly and probably want to keep Cousins at PF so they may go for it. But hey if we can use a TPE to get him, sign me up.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Nick Young will be UFA next year.

He would be a good signing on a deal similar to what Josh Childress got.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Wow.

Jerry please come back!!!!

Sarver has destroyed this franchise and made it into a laughingstock.

When the New Jersey Nets have a higher profile or are a desired destination for a player you know you're Alpo

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brook Lopez might be worth a look in 2012.

Brook Lopez suffered a stress fracture in his foot and will need surgery. Let the Suns do their part and do a trade with the Nets by sending Robin there to unite the Lopez brothers.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brook Lopez suffered a stress fracture in his foot and will need surgery. Let the Suns do their part and do a trade with the Nets by sending Robin there to unite the Lopez brothers.

Do the Nets have any draft picks left?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They just traded a 2015 2nd rd pick for Okur.

First D-Will, then AK47, now Okur?

When's Boozer coming to Brooklyn?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
How soon we forget about the great moves of Jerry's past: Back court 2000, Larry Nance, Hot Rod Williams, Luc Longly, Sam Casell, Robert Horry, Googs, Starberry, Negal Night, Mustaf, Steven Hunter, Marion, and there are more as well. Saver has not done any worse or better than Jerry.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I could see a few trades to us next year for cap space from other teams. There a lot of teams out there with 2 good pg. I cam see a few other players being moved be for new rules kick in. Ellis, Josh Smith,