The Batman (2022)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner Bros. confirms standalone Batman movie with Ben Affleck

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/warner-bros-confirms-standalone-batman-movie-with-ben-affleck

After assuming the cape and cowl of the Dark Knight in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Ben Affleck will expand his role in the big screen DC universe. At the Warner Bros presentation at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, the studio confirmed work on a standalone Batman film, with Affleck possibly involved in a role behind-the-scenes.

Onstage, Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara confirmed that Affleck is working on a solo Batman film and also appeared to confirm that Affleck is directing; while he didn't explicitly state that Affleck is writing and directing the movie, Tsujihara listed the actor as one of the "filmmakers" working on the expanded DC universe, along with Aquaman director James Wan.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ben is writing or directing the movie I am interested. That is as long as Snyder isn't involved. I thought Ben nailed the part.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If Ben is writing or directing the movie I am interested. That is as long as Snyder isn't involved. I thought Ben nailed the part.

I am with you, I think Affleck was one of the few watchable things in BVS (Gadot was cool too but she didn't have much screen time).

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Does this mean he won't be batman and just be the director of it?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this mean he won't be batman and just be the director of it?

He is starring in it and directing it. It has been confirmed.

Ben Affleck Confirmed to Direct Standalone Batman Movie

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ben-affleck-batman-standalone-directing-1201752021/

A standalone Batman movie starring and directed by Ben Affleck is officially in the works, Warner Bros. chief Kevin Tsujihara confirmed Tuesday at CinemaCon.

It was reported in July 2015 that Affleck was in talks to star and direct, but Tuesday’s announcement marks the first official confirmation of his involvement. Affleck made his debut as the Caped Crusader in “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” which bowed March 25.

Tsujihara first mentioned Affleck when he took the CinemaCon stage in Las Vegas, saying that the studio was excited to be moving forward on the standalone Batman film with the actor and filmmaker.

Tsujihara said the studio has committed to 10 DC films — most of which have already been announced — within the next five years, then named every movie along with their director, including Batman with Affleck.

Warner Bros. confirmed that Affleck would be directing the movie later on Tuesday in a press release.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is starring in it and directing it. It has been confirmed.

Ben Affleck Confirmed to Direct Standalone Batman Movie

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ben-affleck-batman-standalone-directing-1201752021/

A standalone Batman movie starring and directed by Ben Affleck is officially in the works, Warner Bros. chief Kevin Tsujihara confirmed Tuesday at CinemaCon.

It was reported in July 2015 that Affleck was in talks to star and direct, but Tuesday’s announcement marks the first official confirmation of his involvement. Affleck made his debut as the Caped Crusader in “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” which bowed March 25.

Tsujihara first mentioned Affleck when he took the CinemaCon stage in Las Vegas, saying that the studio was excited to be moving forward on the standalone Batman film with the actor and filmmaker.

Tsujihara said the studio has committed to 10 DC films — most of which have already been announced — within the next five years, then named every movie along with their director, including Batman with Affleck.

Warner Bros. confirmed that Affleck would be directing the movie later on Tuesday in a press release.

Great news. That's half the battle. Now they need to get the script right.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How I imagine everyone reacted.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: Two years after Ben Affleck stepped down as Director of the film, Warner Brothers announced on Wednesday, January 30th, 2019 that he would no longer be involved with the film or his role as Bruce Wayne/Batman. A new release date is set for June 21st, 2021 with a younger actor wanted for the role.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have now gone from Affleck to ... the glittery vampire guy from Twilight ... ??

Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/...matt-reeves-bruce-wayne-dc-comics-1203125473/

He’s going from sex symbol to bat symbol. Sources tell Variety that Robert Pattinson is in negotiations to play “The Batman” in Matt Reeves’ forthcoming superhero film, which hits theaters June 25, 2021.

While sources say it’s not yet a done deal, Pattinson is the top choice and it’s expected to close shortly. Warner Bros. had no comment.

Pre-production on the Warner Bros.-DC Comics pic is expected to start this summer.

Reeves, the filmmaker behind the last two “Planet of the Apes” sequels, assumed “Batman” directing duties from Ben Affleck in January 2017 and has been developing the elusive project ever since. Affleck and Warner Bros. began discussing the actor-director leaving the Caped Crusader behind following “Justice League,” allowing Reeves to pick his own Bruce Wayne.

Reeves will produce “The Batman” with his “Planet of the Apes” collaborator Dylan Clark.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don’t know what the problem is. His choice of projects outside of Twilight has been pretty impressive.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We have now gone from Affleck to ... the glittery vampire guy from Twilight ... ??

Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/...matt-reeves-bruce-wayne-dc-comics-1203125473/

He’s going from sex symbol to bat symbol. Sources tell Variety that Robert Pattinson is in negotiations to play “The Batman” in Matt Reeves’ forthcoming superhero film, which hits theaters June 25, 2021.

While sources say it’s not yet a done deal, Pattinson is the top choice and it’s expected to close shortly. Warner Bros. had no comment.

Pre-production on the Warner Bros.-DC Comics pic is expected to start this summer.

Reeves, the filmmaker behind the last two “Planet of the Apes” sequels, assumed “Batman” directing duties from Ben Affleck in January 2017 and has been developing the elusive project ever since. Affleck and Warner Bros. began discussing the actor-director leaving the Caped Crusader behind following “Justice League,” allowing Reeves to pick his own Bruce Wayne.

Reeves will produce “The Batman” with his “Planet of the Apes” collaborator Dylan Clark.

:biglaugh:

Oh, DC, you slay me.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I’m probably going to regret this, but what is the problem?

What other movies has he been in that were hits besides twilight and water for elephants?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What other movies has he been in that were hits besides twilight and water for elephants?
Who cares? In fact, I would say that might be an advantage.

Name me one of his movies besides twilight that even had the possibility of being a hit? And not Harry Potter.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m probably going to regret this, but what is the problem?

He'll probably be fine and may surprise people, but to act like you're mystified by the reaction to this casting is rather disingenuous. It's all over social media. People associate him with his heartthrob glittery vampire role and can't see him being a masked vigilante fighting it out with thugs on dark city streets. The reaction is not very surprising.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He'll probably be fine and may surprise people, but to act like you're mystified by the reaction to this casting is rather disingenuous. It's all over social media. People associate him with his heartthrob glittery vampire role and can't see him being a masked vigilante fighting it out with thugs on dark city streets. The reaction is not very surprising.
So what? The last Twilight movie he was in was from 7 years ago. Since then he's been in 14 films, only one of which could be considered "mainstream". Even Water for Elephants was before he did his final Twilight movie. He's got 5 upcoming movies, all of which appear to be indies except for Christopher Nolan's next movie in which he is the male lead.

I'm not saying he's perfect, but his pedigree has been pretty damn impressive, Twilight notwithstanding.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what? The last Twilight movie he was in was from 7 years ago. Since then he's been in 14 films, only one of which could be considered "mainstream". Even Water for Elephants was before he did his final Twilight movie.

You're kinda making BIM's argument for him. You're surprised by the general public's response to this news, but above you just detailed that Pattinson really hasn't made a mainstream movie since Twilight. Thus... the general public only really knows him as Edward Cullen and a Teen Beat guy. In our own bubble in Hollywood, a lot of people believe that he's grown as a very capable actor but only because the overwhelming majority of people who saw ANY of his other 14 movies since Twilight come from inside our bubble. And hell... even myself and most of my friends, all of whom are pretty big cinefiles haven't seen more than 1 or 2 of Pattinson's movies. Most people still look at him as the dude from Twilight. He might be a lot more accomplished in indie circles, but again, most of the mainstream viewing public has no clue, nor ever watched celebrated indies that he's been in.

He's got 5 upcoming movies, all of which appear to be indies except for Christopher Nolan's next movie in which he is the male lead.

But no one has seen these 5 upcoming movies and again, people who live outside our bubble more than likely have no clue about these upcoming movies, so since they haven't seen them, nor know they probably exist coming soon, those projects can't blunt the backlash from Twilight days.

Also, he's not the lead in Nolan's next. He's a supporting character. John David Washington is the lead. But again, for the most part no one outside our business or the biggest movie geeks alive even know Nolan has a new movie coming out next year. That said, I trust Nolan more than any filmmaker alive right now and if Patterson's good enough for Nolan, it gives me hope that he's good enough for Batman, especially with Matt Reeves directing, who I also think is a damn good director.

I'm not saying he's perfect, but his pedigree has been pretty damn impressive, Twilight notwithstanding.

again, you're talking about a pedigree that is pretty damn impressive... that almost no one outside our bubble out here knows about. most people know him just as Edward Cullen and a lot probably think he dropped off the face of the Earth afterward because all he's made is movies that hit the arthouse theaters and most people don't see those flicks. thus the backlash.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They said Michael Keaton woldn't work. They said Batfleck wouldn't work. There were people hating on Ledger, Chris Evans and even Robert Downy Jr.

Maybe this is EXACTLY like that. I rarely have a problem with casting even if it's outside the norm, unconventional or doesn't mirror the source material.

This one? I am struggling a bit. It might turnout to be great but I am really struggling with this one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You're kinda making BIM's argument for him. You're surprised by the general public's response to this news, but above you just detailed that Pattinson really hasn't made a mainstream movie since Twilight. Thus... the general public only really knows him as Edward Cullen and a Teen Beat guy. In our own bubble in Hollywood, a lot of people believe that he's grown as a very capable actor but only because the overwhelming majority of people who saw ANY of his other 14 movies since Twilight come from inside our bubble. And hell... even myself and most of my friends, all of whom are pretty big cinefiles haven't seen more than 1 or 2 of Pattinson's movies. Most people still look at him as the dude from Twilight. He might be a lot more accomplished in indie circles, but again, most of the mainstream viewing public has no clue, nor ever watched celebrated indies that he's been in.

But no one has seen these 5 upcoming movies and again, people who live outside our bubble more than likely have no clue about these upcoming movies, so since they haven't seen them, nor know they probably exist coming soon, those projects can't blunt the backlash from Twilight days.

Also, he's not the lead in Nolan's next. He's a supporting character. John David Washington is the lead. But again, for the most part no one outside our business or the biggest movie geeks alive even know Nolan has a new movie coming out next year. That said, I trust Nolan more than any filmmaker alive right now and if Patterson's good enough for Nolan, it gives me hope that he's good enough for Batman, especially with Matt Reeves directing, who I also think is a damn good director.

again, you're talking about a pedigree that is pretty damn impressive... that almost no one outside our bubble out here knows about. most people know him just as Edward Cullen and a lot probably think he dropped off the face of the Earth afterward because all he's made is movies that hit the arthouse theaters and most people don't see those flicks. thus the backlash.
All the above is true, however, we have some relatively smart people on this board. I would think they would at least do some research before completely writing him off. That's what I'm trying to say. This same exact thing happened with Heath Ledger and look how that turned out. (Without the actual, you know, ODing part of course)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the above is true, however, we have some relatively smart people on this board. I would think they would at least do some research before completely writing him off.

Why? What research do you really want people to do... about the new Batman? Take hours out of their lives to go watch his movies that they probably don't want to watch nor have time for. Or go read a bunch of articles about how he's progressed as an actor. You and I work in the biz and probably DEVOUR everything hollywood, but asking people to research this kind of stuff seems a little weird. People's lives are busy enough with all the news that's thrown at them to probably waste a lot of time on "Who's the next Batman" with everything else going on in the world. Pattinson's public profile is pretty bare since Twilight, so, people judge based on what they know. Being surprised by that reaction is surprising to me.

That's what I'm trying to say. This same exact thing happened with Heath Ledger and look how that turned out. (Without the actual, you know, ODing part of course)

true... and the superhero genre has a lot of 'OMG! WTF?! THAT'S WHO THEY CAST FOR INSERT SUPERHERO HERE. Sometimes people are proven totally wrong from Keaton as Batman, to Ledger as the Joker, to Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman... so, not sure why you're surprised by it again. People also thought the idea of Jesse Eisenberg was terrible for Lex Luthor, same as Affleck for Daredevil, Topher Grace for Venom and Halle Berry for Catwoman. Sometimes people are right, sometimes they're wrong.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They said Michael Keaton woldn't work. They said Batfleck wouldn't work. There were people hating on Ledger, Chris Evans and even Robert Downy Jr.

Maybe this is EXACTLY like that. I rarely have a problem with casting even if it's outside the norm, unconventional or doesn't mirror the source material.

This one? I am struggling a bit. It might turnout to be great but I am really struggling with this one.

I personally thought Batfleck sucked out loud and was totally wrong for the part.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose