The Batman (2022)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally thought Batfleck sucked out loud and was totally wrong for the part.

Wow. We couldn’t be more opposite. I think he was great. I thought the writing was a disaster.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. We couldn’t be more opposite. I think he was great. I thought the writing was a disaster.

it didn't do him any favors, but he was all wrong for the part as far as I was concerned.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why? What research do you really want people to do... about the new Batman? Take hours out of their lives to go watch his movies that they probably don't want to watch nor have time for. Or go read a bunch of articles about how he's progressed as an actor. You and I work in the biz and probably DEVOUR everything hollywood, but asking people to research this kind of stuff seems a little weird. People's lives are busy enough with all the news that's thrown at them to probably waste a lot of time on "Who's the next Batman" with everything else going on in the world. Pattinson's public profile is pretty bare since Twilight, so, people judge based on what they know. Being surprised by that reaction is surprising to me.

true... and the superhero genre has a lot of 'OMG! WTF?! THAT'S WHO THEY CAST FOR INSERT SUPERHERO HERE. Sometimes people are proven totally wrong from Keaton as Batman, to Ledger as the Joker, to Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman... so, not sure why you're surprised by it again. People also thought the idea of Jesse Eisenberg was terrible for Lex Luthor, same as Affleck for Daredevil, Topher Grace for Venom and Halle Berry for Catwoman. Sometimes people are right, sometimes they're wrong.
:shrug:

What can I say? I don’t think it’s important enough to have a fit over. I don’t know if he’s right for it, but he feels more right than Ben Affleck ever was. And he’s a good actor, so there’s that. But people will scream at me about that as well because... TWILIGHT!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I’m probably going to regret this, but what is the problem?

Nah, no big argument on this one. I just think there are a LOT of actors I could picture in the role, and he isn't one of them. I mean, this is the ultimate hit or miss for DC. There's a ton of backlash to the idea. Is he a good actor? I can't say, as I haven't watched his movies since the atrocity movies, and those I certainly didn't watch. He was good in Harry Potter, but it wasn't a big role, and not one that makes me think "Batman." I get that other actors haven't seemed to fit and have worked out, but this one seemed a head scratcher. And it struck my funny bone.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Affleck was the GOAT Bruce Wayne but Snyder made him look like a cartoon character when he was suited up.

That scene in the warehouse when he rescued Martha is one of the coolest fight scenes of any Batman.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nah, no big argument on this one. I just think there are a LOT of actors I could picture in the role, and he isn't one of them. I mean, this is the ultimate hit or miss for DC. There's a ton of backlash to the idea. Is he a good actor? I can't say, as I haven't watched his movies since the atrocity movies, and those I certainly didn't watch. He was good in Harry Potter, but it wasn't a big role, and not one that makes me think "Batman." I get that other actors haven't seemed to fit and have worked out, but this one seemed a head scratcher. And it struck my funny bone.
You should give some of his films a chance. Definitely making interesting choices.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shrug:

What can I say? I don’t think it’s important enough to have a fit over. I don’t know if he’s right for it, but he feels more right than Ben Affleck ever was. And he’s a good actor, so there’s that. But people will scream at me about that as well because... TWILIGHT!

are you talking about in general or people here, because no one here so far is throwing a fit or screaming at you.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not excited about this one bit but actors in the past have surprised me when hired for parts I couldn’t see them in.

I personally loved BA in the part but let’s see what Mr. Twilight can do. <—— That was for Chap. [emoji6]

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it's a bold choice and I'm looking forward to how he handles it. After all, he is a good actor, Twilight or no. And I was ok with, but not a huge fan, of Ben Affleck in the role.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's a bold choice and I'm looking forward to how he handles it. After all, he is a good actor, Twilight or no. And I was ok with, but not a huge fan, of Ben Affleck in the role.

Not sure how bold it is but maybe more strategic? I mean, if you are trying to broaden your audience beyond comic book geeks every woman on the planet knows who he is.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not sure how bold it is but maybe more strategic? I mean, if you are trying to broaden your audience beyond comic book geeks every woman on the planet knows who he is.
Yes, but is that REALLY the big reason to cast him as Batman? Not at all, IMO.

How is it NOT bold? Do you think WB didn't know how much flak they would get with this decision?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but is that REALLY the big reason to cast him as Batman? Not at all, IMO.

How is it NOT bold? Do you think WB didn't know how much flak they would get with this decision?

I think the studios don't care as much as fans do with these choices. We could probably make a laundry list of choices were fans were up in arms about casting that turned out just fine. I think it's a bigger deal with people behind keyboards than it is for the studios.

There is zero chance the studios didn't know how popular he is with women and not considered that a factor in the casting.

To me brave or bold casting goes completely outside the box. Like casting Idres Elba as Bond. Recasting the Ghostbusters as woman. To me that is bold.

Are they taking a risk? Sure but was that more of a risk than Chris Evans? Not so sure. Did RP have a better resume than Chris Evans going into this role than Evans did going into Captain America?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the studios don't care as much as fans do with these choices. We could probably make a laundry list of choices were fans were up in arms about casting that turned out just fine. I think it's a bigger deal with people behind keyboards than it is for the studios.

There is zero chance the studios didn't know how popular he is with women and not considered that a factor in the casting.

To me brave or bold casting goes completely outside the box. Like casting Idres Elba as Bond. Recasting the Ghostbusters as woman. To me that is bold.

Are they taking a risk? Sure but was that more of a risk than Chris Evans? Not so sure. Did RP have a better resume than Chris Evans going into this role than Evans did going into Captain America?
Wow, that's quite a leap there. Sure, Chris Evans was known as the douchebag from Fantastic Four, but what else? I actually enjoyed Push, but he had nothing even close to what Pattinson had with Twilight, and even Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Does RP have a better resume? Better is subjective, but he certainly is more prolific and much more successful than Chris Evans was before getting Cap.

But to think that getting the female audience as a major factor at hiring Pattinson for Batman is way off base, IMO. I'm sure it was considered, but I'd see it more as a happy side effect than anything close to the reason they cast him. I never said it was a zero factor, I just don't think it is as big a factor as you seem to think it is.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's quite a leap there. Sure, Chris Evans was known as the douchebag from Fantastic Four, but what else? I actually enjoyed Push, but he had nothing even close to what Pattinson had with Twilight, and even Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Does RP have a better resume? Better is subjective, but he certainly is more prolific and much more successful than Chris Evans was before getting Cap.

But to think that getting the female audience as a major factor at hiring Pattinson for Batman is way off base, IMO. I'm sure it was considered, but I'd see it more as a happy side effect than anything close to the reason they cast him. I never said it was a zero factor, I just don't think it is as big a factor as you seem to think it is.

I think we are saying the same thing. I was making the point that casting Evans as one of the most important characters in the MCU (considering his resume and baggage on F4) seemed to be a bolder move than casting RP as Batman simply because RP had a better resume leading up to their respective roles.

RP is a risk but doesn't seem all that bold compared to hiring Evans or the other examples I put above. Hell hiring Robert Downey Jr. with his checkered past and questionable appeal to mass audiences anymore seemed bolder to me. That's just me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think we are saying the same thing. I was making the point that casting Evans as one of the most important characters in the MCU (considering his resume and baggage on F4) seemed to be a bolder move than casting RP as Batman simply because RP had a better resume leading up to their respective roles.

RP is a risk but doesn't seem all that bold compared to hiring Evans or the other examples I put above. Hell hiring Robert Downey Jr. with his checkered past and questionable appeal to mass audiences anymore seemed bolder to me. That's just me.
And again, I disagree. Chris Evans at least looked the part AND had some action roles in his background. RP doesn't have any role that really comes close to what Batman is/will be.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And again, I disagree. Chris Evans at least looked the part AND had some action roles in his background. RP doesn't have any role that really comes close to what Batman is/will be.

Fair enough. We definitely disagree because fans went way more bat@#$@ crazy when Evans was cast. I was on a couple forms that had over a hundred pages of fans bitching. We stand at 3 muted pages and even on the reddit thread I am on it's pretty muted comparatively.

Hell Keaton caused more of an uproar and he had a great resume. I think it's a huge stretch to call this "bold".

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Fair enough. We definitely disagree because fans went way more bat@#$@ crazy when Evans was cast. I was on a couple forms that had over a hundred pages of fans bitching. We stand at 3 muted pages and even on the reddit thread I am on it's pretty muted comparatively.

Hell Keaton caused more of an uproar and he had a great resume. I think it's a huge stretch to call this "bold".
Disagree, AGAIN! :)

What on Michael Keaton's resume up until that point said that he would be a great Batman? I actually think Keaton playing the role has a lot more in common with Pattinson than Evans and Captain America.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree, AGAIN! :)

What on Michael Keaton's resume up until that point said that he would be a great Batman? I actually think Keaton playing the role has a lot more in common with Pattinson than Evans and Captain America.

That's not what I am saying. I am drawing a parallel to resume. Keaton's resume for ACTING was unquestionable. People were in a much bigger uproar because they couldn't see him playing the part after his body of work so far.

RP has a decent acting resume yet the outrage is nowhere close to Keaton. Chris Evans on the other hand didn't have the resume of either of those guys IMO and again the outrage was much bigger.

RP? People are complaining but not like these two or even RDJ. Again, stretch to call it bold.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's not what I am saying. I am drawing a parallel to resume. Keaton's resume for ACTING was unquestionable. People were in a much bigger uproar because they couldn't see him playing the part after his body of work so far.

RP has a decent acting resume yet the outrage is nowhere close to Keaton. Chris Evans on the other hand didn't have the resume of either of those guys IMO and again the outrage was much bigger.

RP? People are complaining but not like these two or even RDJ. Again, stretch to call it bold.
Pretty sure our definitions of "outrage" (and "bold") are different.