The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Biggest disappointment by far so far after the restart is Zion Williamson IMO. Totally out of shape, did they ever explain why he was late going in the bubble? He's so out of shape it's almost painful to watch, he can still score when he gets the ball but he can't guard anybody right now and their rotations in the first Q against the Clips were terrible because of him. They were constantly helping him and then the ball would rotate for an open 3 and the Clips made the first 6 threes.

He's too young to be this out of shape there had to be some injury or health situation?

He reported to the bubble on time and then left for an undisclosed family emergency. He came back pretty quick, I thought. He shouldn't have had such a setback physically from being out of the bubble for a week or so. If I were the Pelicans I would fear for every offseason if he can let himself go that quickly.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this case; out of shape =/= overweight... He’s huffing & puffing but it doesn’t look like it should be a problem under regular circumstances. Back in February when he got his legs under him and went on a crazy two weak tear looking like pre-blow and booze Shawn Kemp.

The most inconsistent looking guy is Lonzo right now. He shot it okay during the season but has had some ugly clanks so far in the bubble. With any kind of dependable shot he’s a stud.

First game Lonzo was terrible, 2nd game he was on the guy who made a shot in the first quarter but they were so far behind it didn't matter. I didn't watch from mid 2nd Q on so if he went cold I didn't see it.

I just don't see the same explosiveness out of Zion, in the first game he went the entire first half without a rebound.

I get that he's out of shape I'm just stunned he's THIS out of shape at his age, what was he doing we were reading stories about him allegedly being in great shape.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He reported to the bubble on time and then left for an undisclosed family emergency. He came back pretty quick, I thought. He shouldn't have had such a setback physically from being out of the bubble for a week or so. If I were the Pelicans I would fear for every offseason if he can let himself go that quickly.

Yeah that's the official story it just doesn't make sense how quickly he appears to be getting gassed now.

That's one of those rosters where it appears they are not as good as the individual pieces. Jrue is a borderline all star, Zion is a budding all star, Ingram a very talented player, Ball does his role, and Favors is a solid role player but when they've been on the court together in the 2 games they've been back, they are getting BLOWN out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d just like to thank Adam Silver for seemingly being the only man in the country who thoughtfully figured out how to bring his business back, smartly and safely and for our benefit.

I haven’t watched this much basketball in probably a decade.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't watch much of Aaron Gordon other than the dunk contest. Had some nice flashes in this game so far. Would trading Oubre for him benefit both teams?

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Too bad the Grizzlies couldn’t win today.

Everything else going according to plan:
1. Blazers lose (Beat MEM which kinda helped at that point)
2. Kings down 21 (lost before)
3. Pelicans lost twice

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't watch much of Aaron Gordon other than the dunk contest. Had some nice flashes in this game so far. Would trading Oubre for him benefit both teams?

I think so. But part of why it would help us is the likelihood we won't be meeting Oubre's salary wishes when his short term contract expires. Both of them healthy, I think Oubre is a slightly better small forward than Gordon is a power forward.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Every time that Zion hits the court, in practice or games, that's a lot of weight on his ankles.

If it is taking its toll this early, we may never see a full season of fulfilling his otherwise potential.

Disappointing for the NBA, but you have to take the bad with the good.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time that Zion hits the court, in practice or games, that's a lot of weight on his ankles.

If it is taking its toll this early, we may never see a full season of fulfilling his otherwise potential.

Disappointing for the NBA, but you have to take the bad with the good.

Ja Morant looking like the best player out of the 2019 draft. How I wish he were in a Suns uniform.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too bad the Grizzlies couldn’t win today.

Everything else going according to plan:
1. Blazers lose (Beat MEM which kinda helped at that point)
2. Kings down 21 (lost before)
3. Pelicans lost twice

Granted, we need to handle our own business first, but we need to Grizzlies to lose games. Even if we get to 9th, if we're not within 4 games of the Grizzlies it is moot.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Granted, we need to handle our own business first, but we need to Grizzlies to lose games. Even if we get to 9th, if we're not within 4 games of the Grizzlies it is moot.

And it will probably be SAS already in 8th, so the Suns need to overtake MEM.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I know it is a different injury, but I imagine this makes Oubre’s return that much more unlikely (and it wasn’t very likely in the first place).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta think that Orlando will be much more hesitant to let Gordon go. Isaac, if he misses the entire season, will be a free agent before he plays in another game, Mo Bamba looks like a gargantuan bust. Letting Gordon go was an idea to create minutes to spot light those guys, now I don't think they do it unless they're planning on starting all over.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta think that Orlando will be much more hesitant to let Gordon go. Isaac, if he misses the entire season, will be a free agent before he plays in another game, Mo Bamba looks like a gargantuan bust. Letting Gordon go was an idea to create minutes to spot light those guys, now I don't think they do it unless they're planning on starting all over.

I'm actually grateful. I like Gordon but I'd rather the Suns make a run at him in free agency than trading Oubre for him.

I also think the Suns will be fine running a small lineup with Mikal and Oubre as the starting forwards with Cam and Saric backing them up. If we can add a PF/C from the draft like Okongwu or Achiuwa to take over for Baynes and play PF when we need size inside then we'd be in pretty good shape in the frontcourt.

I'd prefer we let Kaminsky go instead of Baynes but I think someone will overpay for Baynes on a 1 year deal while we can retain Kaminsky for a reasonable sum with his player option. James Jones seems to be big on continuity so I'd be surprised if Frank is let go unless we move up in the draft to take someone like Obi Toppin.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad about Jonathan Isaac. It doesn't look good for his return for the 2020-21 season.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I'm actually grateful. I like Gordon but I'd rather the Suns make a run at him in free agency than trading Oubre for him.

I also think the Suns will be fine running a small lineup with Mikal and Oubre as the starting forwards with Cam and Saric backing them up. If we can add a PF/C from the draft like Okongwu or Achiuwa to take over for Baynes and play PF when we need size inside then we'd be in pretty good shape in the frontcourt.

I'd prefer we let Kaminsky go instead of Baynes but I think someone will overpay for Baynes on a 1 year deal while we can retain Kaminsky for a reasonable sum with his player option. James Jones seems to be big on continuity so I'd be surprised if Frank is let go unless we move up in the draft to take someone like Obi Toppin.
I don't want to get rid of oubre but if he can get us a pick for someone like toppin or okongwu and then we can get haliburton with the other pick I think I'd pull the trigger on a trade

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know it is a different injury, but I imagine this makes Oubre’s return that much more unlikely (and it wasn’t very likely in the first place).

It sure makes the case for Oubre not to be in a hurry to come back. We still do not know a lot of details about his surgery.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think i've seen enough this year to say the opposite. Baynes provides almost nothing but stupid fouls. Kaminsky plays well within in his limits, even on defense without committing dumb fouls. Shooting goes to Kaminsky. Kaminsky is the better glue guy when out there as well, we missed him while he was out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA adjusts protocol for testing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Budenholzer of Bucks and Oklahoma City’s Billy Donovan are co-coaches of the year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think i've seen enough this year to say the opposite. Baynes provides almost nothing but stupid fouls. Kaminsky plays well within in his limits, even on defense without committing dumb fouls. Shooting goes to Kaminsky. Kaminsky is the better glue guy when out there as well, we missed him while he was out.

I like Kaminsky's passing but outside of that I think Baynes is the better player in every way. He's one of the best screeners in the league, which helped Booker early in the year. He's a better defender but not quite a rim protector. He's an intimidator though so anyone who is smaller than him will avoid challenging him in the paint. He's not a great rebounder but he's similar to Steven Adams in how he'll get position and block out for his teammates to get the boards rather than worry about his own stats.

Both bring something to the table but I think what Kaminsky brings is easier to replace than Baynes. I also think they should be playing different roles as far as Baynes is exclusively a backup C while Kaminsky is best when paired with a strong rebounding big and he's playing PF. Frank can play C but he should only do so a limited amount of the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed by the NBA's ability to test.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave