The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Rudy Tomjanovich was a great coach and a great player but the Kermit Washington incident will always be associated with him as well.

I think Rudy is more of a HOFer as a player than as a coach. He was a solid enough coach, but other than the two year championship run, didn't really have that spectacular a career as a coach. On the other hand, he was definitely a top 20 or so player throughout the 1970s and probably should be a HOFer for that alone.

It seems kind of odd they are inducting him mainly as a coach, although maybe the implication is that it's a combined honor?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the word epic because it's so overused nowadays but that class deserves that classification. You know it's a great class when you can't even really make a case for KG being the #2 player in it.

That Kobe induction will be hard to watch. Such a shame he didn't live long enough to take part in his own HOF induction.

I don't think it'll happen now with Kobe's passing but seeing and hearing the debates of who had the better career, Kobe or Duncan, would have been interesting. Both finished with 5 titles and both played their entire careers with 1 franchise. Kobe was an 18 time All-Star, 15 time All-NBA, 12 time All-Defensive team, 2 time Finals MVP, 4 time All-Star MVP, and 1 time league MVP.

Duncan was a 15 time All-Star, 15 time All-NBA team, 15 time All-Defensive team, 3 time Finals MVP, 1 time All-Star MVP, and 2 time league MVP. Duncan was also Rookie of the Year, something Kobe didn't win, but I don't think that matters much when comparing their careers.

As much as i hate the Spurs, Duncan had the better career. He was so much more efficient. Kobe was unclutch imo despite what many think, and benefited a lot from superstar calls especially on defense. Duncan was just so solid mentally and fundamentally he made the game simple.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Rudy is more of a HOFer as a player than as a coach. He was a solid enough coach, but other than the two year championship run, didn't really have that spectacular a career as a coach. On the other hand, he was definitely a top 20 or so player throughout the 1970s and probably should be a HOFer for that alone.

It seems kind of odd they are inducting him mainly as a coach, although maybe the implication is that it's a combined honor?

I was reading up on his career recently and agree with you to a point. I think you're underselling some of his contributions as a coach outside of the Rockets organization. He took a team of amateurs to the FIBA World Championship to win the bronze in 98 because of the NBA lockout prevented NBA players from participating and he was the head coach for the men's team in 2000 in Sydney that won a gold medal. He became the head scout for USA Basketball when it was restructured in 2006 after the horrendous bronze medal Larry Brown team in 2004.

As a player though, his career is definitely overshadowed by the Kermit Washington punch but he was an All-Star before and after that. He definitely was a good player who may have done more if his career wasn't derailed by that incident, temporarily. I wasn't around for that but I've heard about it the entire time I've been an NBA fan, it's something that has hung over the league ever since it happened and is in part why the league has always been so tough on physical altercations.

It's interesting he's going in with Duncan and Kobe since Rudy spent almost his entire career with the Rockets. He spent his entire NBA career there and then stayed there afterwards as a scout and coach up until he was hired as the Lakers coach for a brief period in 2004. Until he went to the Lakers as their coach, his entire NBA career was spent with the Rockets, even before they moved to Houston. He spent 33 years with that franchise wearing various hats.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Either way, player or coach, Rudy deserved to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. I don't know how one can separate the player from the coach but a lot of articles focus upon the coaching part of his career.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He would’ve been suspended until Miller woke up from his coma.

this thing always makes me laugh. I’ve Boxed pretty much my whole life

the only thing that would of happened there is Shaq would of shattered his hand throwing a punch like that.

you hit someone with your closed fist not the palm side of your first. Your fingers aren’t strong enough there especially hitting someone on the side of the skull about the hardest part of your body.

Millet would have shaken it off and Shaq would of shattered his hand. Hitting someone of the side of there head with a windmill punch like a 10 year old girl not really to effective.

by the way super coward move by Shaq swinging at a guy with his back turned. That’s where I lost all respect for Shaq

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this thing always makes me laugh. I’ve Boxed pretty much my whole life

the only thing that would of happened there is Shaq would of shattered his hand throwing a punch like that.

you hit someone with your closed fist not the palm side of your first. Your fingers aren’t strong enough there especially hitting someone on the side of the skull about the hardest part of your body.

Millet would have shaken it off and Shaq would of shattered his hand. Hitting someone of the side of there head with a windmill punch like a 10 year old girl not really to effective.

by the way super coward move by Shaq swinging at a guy with his back turned. That’s where I lost all respect for Shaq

I agree with almost everything you said except Miller shaking it off. Regardless of being hit wrong, Shaq threw all of his weight behind that haymaker and it probably would have KO'd Miller but I don't think it would have done much lasting damage. Shaq is just too big and put too much behind it that there's no way Miller would have been able to shake it off.

I know that Shaq got spun around but it was clearly Oakley who hit him. I don't know how he even thought it was Miller. Of course Shaq wasn't going to charge Oakley though because he would have been dropped. Add in how wild Shaq's punch was though I think he knew it wasn't Miller. He took his time and let some space get between them before he tried escalating things. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Shaq was trying to look tough more than actually be looking for a fight from all that.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with almost everything you said except Miller shaking it off. Regardless of being hit wrong, Shaq threw all of his weight behind that haymaker and it probably would have KO'd Miller but I don't think it would have done much lasting damage. Shaq is just too big and put too much behind it that there's no way Miller would have been able to shake it off.

I know that Shaq got spun around but it was clearly Oakley who hit him. I don't know how he even thought it was Miller. Of course Shaq wasn't going to charge Oakley though because he would have been dropped. Add in how wild Shaq's punch was though I think he knew it wasn't Miller. He took his time and let some space get between them before he tried escalating things. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Shaq was trying to look tough more than actually be looking for a fight from all that.

Well that’s exactly what he didn’t do. It’s 100% an arm punch. When you punch with all your weight it’s just like a golf swing it’s hips, ass, thighs torque.

body falling, feet not set no balance, ridiculously bad technique. It’s an arm punch. Feeling pretty confident Shaq would of gotten the worse of that

and I agree he didn’t want any of Oakley instead chose to swing at the back of Brad Miller’s head. Smh

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides, Miller looked like Rocky out there without the top.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about Brad Miller brings back memories. This is the proper technique.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Well that’s exactly what he didn’t do. It’s 100% an arm punch. When you punch with all your weight it’s just like a golf swing it’s hips, ass, thighs torque.

body falling, feet not set no balance, ridiculously bad technique. It’s an arm punch. Feeling pretty confident Shaq would of gotten the worse of that

and I agree he didn’t want any of Oakley instead chose to swing at the back of Brad Miller’s head. Smh

Lol yeah shaking off a Shaq roundhouse to the temple.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol yeah shaking off a Shaq roundhouse to the temple.

your temple is in the front of your head next your eye not the top/side of your head and yes I don’t care how big you are your not going to hurt many people hitting them with your hand like that(closed fist palm side) on the side/top of the head(pretty much the hardest part of your body)

I don’t know if you have any experience at all in that area and it might to look scary to you, but to me to I just gasp and say oh my god he would of destroyed his hand.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Utah Jazz GM Justin Zanik did a video interview with the Chicago Bulls today for the franchise's Executive VP of Basketball Operations opening, sources tell ESPN. Denver Nuggets GM Arturas Karnisovas will interview with Bulls mid-week.

2:49 PM - 6 Apr 2020

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If only Amare had stayed healthy. He would have been a genuine superstar.

I agree with that but I also think we would have won a ring with Amare's injuries if we could have found someone to get him to stay focused and engaged on defense. You can see on plays like that and the game saving block of Duncan's jam to avoid the sweep by the Spurs in 05. This one...

He had all of the tools to be a good to great defender if he would have committed himself to it. Part of the issue was D'Antoni didn't give a damn about defense and if he made that so clear to the press and fans, one can only imagine the message he gave to players about it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
your temple is in the front of your head next your eye not the top/side of your head and yes I don’t care how big you are your not going to hurt many people hitting them with your hand like that(closed fist palm side) on the side/top of the head(pretty much the hardest part of your body)

I don’t know if you have any experience at all in that area and it might to look scary to you, but to me to I just gasp and say oh my god he would of destroyed his hand.

You must be registered for see images attach

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Talking about Brad Miller brings back memories. This is the proper technique.

WOW! What a blast from the past. I remember watching that... it was also before the era of being able to rewatch a play over and over online... and looking back, I think that was probaaaaaaaaaably a goaltend.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hmm... I'm no rocket surgeon, but your temple is definitely NOT in the front of your head.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
#32 Amare...and shortly after, sheesh. I watch the stuff he did, and its like c'mon Ayton why can't you do that!!!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A little surprised to hear someone like Ben Wallace come out and say this so bluntly but I'll take his word on it over anyone playing armchair GM.

Ben Wallace says if the Pistons selected Carmelo instead of Darko that they probably wouldn't have won the title that year. That Carmelo would have disrupted that teams chemistry too much because he came into league wanting to play right away.

Larry Brown was known as being a coach who didn't trust rookies to play big roles or big minutes on his teams so Melo would have ridden the bench most of the season. He may have been forced to play defense to play at all, as well. Who knows if he ever becomes the "star" he ended up being if he was sat in Detroit for a couple of seasons before being sent packing for making waves.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW! What a blast from the past. I remember watching that... it was also before the era of being able to rewatch a play over and over online... and looking back, I think that was probaaaaaaaaaably a goaltend.

It looked like it could have been goaltending. I'm glad it wasn't overruled. It is one of the more exciting plays I remember by Amare.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson