The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is something people need to see about next season's cap figure. It will not increase much but it will still go up some. This could make Tyler Johnson's expiring a little more attractive in a trade, it's about $19.5 million expiring at seasons end. They also have Baynes and Kaminsky's deals as smaller expirings, $4.5-5 million each, if a team is looking to shed some salary. Frank's deal has a team option for year 2 but none of it is guaranteed, making it an expiring essentially.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I can't believe people still believe that there's a possibility of moving TJ's contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to an ESPN article by Adrian Wojnarowski Senior NBA Insider, that describes the impact on luxury tax payers.

Here is an excerpt:

Advanced notice and pre-trade deadline timing of these looming projections, communicated in a recent league memo, is a departure from past protocol.

The loss of the league's China-driven revenue had caused many front office executives to tell ESPN that they've been preparing for the possibility that the original cap projection of $116 million could drop down as far as $113 million. These projections have impact on such items as free agency cap space, luxury tax payouts and player contracts based on percentages of the salary cap -- including as maximum deals and mid-level exceptions.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28601377/sources-nba-says-luxury-tax-threshold-lower

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe people still believe that there's a possibility of moving TJ's contract.
Oh. It could be moved. I just don't think we would want to. The expiring salary is more valuable than what we would get back.

Tj's contract is a way to work out salary in an uneven trade. I just don't see us making a trade, unless it is to say thankyou to Aron Baynes.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Oh it's possible. I'm sure Cleveland would jump at the chance to shed Kevin Love's long term commitment for example. Whether the Suns want what comes back is the real question; and hopefully that answer is no for Klove, even with attached draft picks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some discussion with Woj about the trade deadline.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you listened to it? I plan to but I was curious if he mentions the Suns, or any Suns players, specifically.

I only listened to the first couple of minutes. Maybe I can get back to it today.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is - but you either have to take back a bad contract or throw in a pick with it.
There would be the possibility of swapping one expiring for another if another team needs guard depth etc. I could see the Suns doing that if they thought it would give them an edge in signing a player they would pursue anyway.

Some trade involving TJ for Gallo for instance. Both are expiring. 2 months of Gallo is more valuable than two months of TJ, so the Suns might have to give up something else--maybe a younger player or something.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns trading Trevor Ariza for Kelly Oubre was about trading expiring contracts. It worked out rather well.

However, the more likely scenario, if the Suns traded only expiring contracts it would be for a player that has a longer contract where the other team wants to purge his salary this summer.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well.... TJ Warren has left the game against the Knicks and is being taken to the Indiana hospital to be treated for a head injury. LINK

For the record when TJ missed almost a month a couple seasons back for a mysterious head injury he was treated at the Indiana hospital. It looks like they'll be treating him again.

Here is video of the play, it's as the play starts and Warren goes down like 4-5 seconds after the video starts. It's quick but it doesn't appear he hit his head on the floor or anything. Apparently it's said Sabonis smacked into him, but it's hard to see real contact. You see contact but not anything that should warrant a hospital visit. The play is at about 2:33 in the video.

Edited to add: I hope he's ok. I don't mean to make light of an injury or anything like that but I don't see the contact that warrants a hospital trip. I could have missed it, that's entirely possible. I think TJ has some mental hurdles that he needs to clear though because he seems to miss so many games for injuries that don't sideline others for more than a game or two. I'm not sure what it is with him because he doesn't avoid contact but occasionally he seems to react in such an extreme way that it raises some questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Heat have interest in Iggy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on the Knicks pursuit of Masai Ujiri.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks rumors are always a mixed bag. They want Masai Ujiri but can't wait?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson