The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The new owner of the Coyotes is getting a honeymoon from the fans. Quite the difference than the Sarver effect.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers DeMarcus Cousins suffers possible knee injury.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Lakers center DeMarcus Cousins has suffered a possible knee injury and will undergo further testing today in Los Angeles, league sources tell ESPN. Cousins was working out in Las Vegas on Monday when he had to leave the court, sources said. He signed a one-year deal in July.

8:10 AM - 15 Aug 2019
This is one of the reasons why I wince when people suggest that Ayton needs to bulk up more. Big guys put so much stress on their feet, knees, ankles, achilles etc. Ayton is big and lean enough that he moves and lands pretty nimbly right now. I think that is a good thing. Embiid throws his body all over the place and lands really hard--which is hard on his skeletal structure.

But now I am rambling.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons why I wince when people suggest that Ayton needs to bulk up more. Big guys put so much stress on their feet, knees, ankles, achilles etc. Ayton is big and lean enough that he moves and lands pretty nimbly right now. I think that is a good thing. Embiid throws his body all over the place and lands really hard--which is hard on his skeletal structure.

But now I am rambling.

I think you make a good point. IMO, some players are simply not meant to carry a lot of extra weight.

I'd rather Ayton concentrate on getting stronger rather than anything else.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a number of posters were intrigued by Bol Bol. Now he has to fight his way on an NBA roster.

Keith Smith‏Verified account @KeithSmithNBA

I forgot to put a thought about this out there...It's so crazy how quick things can change in less than a year. At this time a year ago Bol Bol was a surefire lottery pick. Now? He's likely signing a Two-Way contract with the Nuggets.

7:18 AM - 16 Aug 2019

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think a number of posters were intrigued by Bol Bol. Now he has to fight his way on an NBA roster.

Keith Smith‏Verified account @KeithSmithNBA

I forgot to put a thought about this out there...It's so crazy how quick things can change in less than a year. At this time a year ago Bol Bol was a surefire lottery pick. Now? He's likely signing a Two-Way contract with the Nuggets.

7:18 AM - 16 Aug 2019

To be fair, I think the injury had a lot to do with that. Not that he was a surefire thing before that by any means.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, I think the injury had a lot to do with that. Not that he was a surefire thing before that by any means.

I think injury was always a concern for drafting Bol Bol because he has tantalizing talent.

Whether he can take the pounding in the NBA at 7'2.25" and 208 pounds remains a concern.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ayton will get naturally stronger. What you don’t want is him going from 250 to 270 in one offseason which would affect his explosiveness. In fact there just aren’t a lot of massive bigs anymore besides Drummond. I think Nurkic might be pushing 270.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bol Bol is one I got right.

I think there was an expectation that Bol would put on weight but some body types just don't. His dad was stick figure his entire life. I think he would have been in a similar spot even if he hadn't gotten hurt. If you look at the film of him at Oregon beyond the highlights there were a lot of plays where he got shoved around by guys significantly shorter than him and he only looked "quick" when he had tons of space to move and didn't have to worry about getting contact, he wasn't the explosive athlete that some hyped him to be.

He should have stayed in college. If he was able to put up similar numbers on a consistent basis then someone would have spent a pick on him that guaranteed a contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
De'Aaron Fox will withdraw from team USA.

It seems like everyone is withdrawing.

Chris Haynes‏Verified account @ChrisBHaynes

Sacramento Kings guard De’Aaron Fox will withdraw from Team USA to focus on upcoming season with goal of making playoffs, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

9:09 AM - 17 Aug 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is so Lakers. :p

Yes it is but it's pure desperation too. It's a good thing for Dwight that Amare's bball tank is dry, I doubt they'd welcome Howard back if they could find another mildly effective big man willing to play short minutes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it is but it's pure desperation too. It's a good thing for Dwight that Amare's bball tank is dry, I doubt they'd welcome Howard back if they could find another mildly effective big man willing to play short minutes.

The Lakers like bringing in former stars even if it failed miserably before as in the case with Howard.

When you mentioned Amare, I had forgotten they watched him work out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think it's crazy that had Dwight stayed in LA and signed their max offer that last year would have been his first year out. He's been gone for 6 seasons now and now they might bring him back for the league minimum. How things change.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Lakers don’t put a lot of value in chemistry whether it’s players, how the coaching staff is structured or what impact outside influences like Rich Paul have on day to day morale. If Lebron and AD are their old selves it won’t matter but that’s not a sure thing anymore.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grizzlies have given Lakers permission talk to Dwight Howard. He is under contract with the Grizzlies for $5,603,850 this coming season.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

The Grizzlies are granting the Los Angeles Lakers permission to speak with Dwight Howard, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

4:10 PM - 18 Aug 2019

The Grizzlies are holding onto Iguodala in hopes he can bring a return in a trade, even though most thought he'd be bought out quickly. They didn't waive Dwight Howard either. Why is it the Lakers are welcome to speak to him about striking a deal? I understand they only got permission to speak to him but that wouldn't be reported f they wanted to see if he would be ok with a trade to the Lakers. I hope there is another owner who raises a stink over this. The Lakers seem to be the only team that is able to act like this so there is no reason for the other 29 franchises to let it stand. At best there are maybe 2 or 3 other teams who might be able to do something similar but the medium and small market teams aren't afforded this luxury.

I know the Lakers really don't have anything to trade for Dwight, or anyone really, but that's their problem. They shouldn't be free to recruit players under contract elsewhere simply because they don't have any tradable assets. I'm a bit baffled as to why the Grizzlies would allow this also. What do they gain?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Grizzlies are holding onto Iguodala in hopes he can bring a return in a trade, even though most thought he'd be bought out quickly. They didn't waive Dwight Howard either. Why is it the Lakers are welcome to speak to him about striking a deal? I understand they only got permission to speak to him but that wouldn't be reported f they wanted to see if he would be ok with a trade to the Lakers. I hope there is another owner who raises a stink over this. The Lakers seem to be the only team that is able to act like this so there is no reason for the other 29 franchises to let it stand. At best there are maybe 2 or 3 other teams who might be able to do something similar but the medium and small market teams aren't afforded this luxury.

I know the Lakers really don't have anything to trade for Dwight, or anyone really, but that's their problem. They shouldn't be free to recruit players under contract elsewhere simply because they don't have any tradable assets. I'm a bit baffled as to why the Grizzlies would allow this also. What do they gain?
Probably because Howard has no value and is locker room poison.

I don’t think anything shady is going on. The grizz are hoping Howard will agree to a favorable buy out knowing the lakers would sign him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think there is much demand for Howard and most teams are waiting for him to get bought out by the Grizzlies.

IMO, it's mostly about the Grizzlies saving a couple of million.

The Lakers may be the only team where he would go and accept a larger buy-out. It could be this is the working of an agent behind the scene.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to read between the lines on this tweet but other teams can speak to Howard as well but I'm guessing Howard prefers to go to the Lakers.

Ramona Shelburne‏Verified account @ramonashelburne

Regarding the Lakers and Dwight Howard, a team source says their interest is more “due diligence “ after the Boogie injury. Memphis has granted permission for Dwight and his camp to speak to teams, one of which is the Lakers.

4:31 PM - 18 Aug 2019

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What in the world has happened to Dwight Howard? How did he decline so fast?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What in the world has happened to Dwight Howard? How did he decline so fast?

Attitude, serious injuries plus, IMO, he was never really as dominant as his reputation and numbers suggested.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attitude, serious injuries plus, IMO, he was never really as dominant as his reputation and numbers suggested.

I never thought of him as a dominant center like Shaq.

If he had stayed healthy it might have helped.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA