The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Still ticks me off that Jones signed Kaminsky instead...
Even if his off court transgressions had nothing to do with him going to Sac you are assuming that he wanted to stay here where he would of had his playing time severely limited by being behind Ayton.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns signaled they wanted to go another direction with trade for Baynes. I'd still like to have an active player behind Ayton like Holmes.

Only describing the type of player I'd like there. Suns need athletic backups at 4/5. They need to be more athletic period.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't piss off Lebron.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They both went to Sacramento. So blaming Igor for his transgressions when they stuck together is pretty lame.

Igor is not the head coach there. There is someone above Igor to hold both accountable.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns signaled they wanted to go another direction with trade for Baynes. I'd still like to have an active player behind Ayton like Holmes.

Only describing the type of player I'd like there. Suns need athletic backups at 4/5. They need to be more athletic period.

Unfortunately, Jones undervalues athleticism, likely because he wasn't much of an athlete himself.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Jones undervalues athleticism, likely because he wasn't much of an athlete himself.

I don’t think that’s it. The last GM valued raw athleticism(Jackson, Bender, Chriss) over guys who actually knew how to play basketball.

we needed guys who were smart and sound

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A player has to have skills to go along with athleticism. I think this is where McDonough went wrong, drafting athleticism hoping the skills would follow.

I see no reason James Jones wouldn't value players who have both. When Jones first became GM he had to improve the team's talent base without the luxury of missing.

Saric, Baynes and Cam Johnson were all acquired during the draft. Yes, Jerome appears to be a miss but no ones hits 100%.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s it. The last GM valued raw athleticism(Jackson, Bender, Chriss) over guys who actually knew how to play basketball.

we needed guys who were smart and sound

We need both. Guys who are smart and sound and who also have NBA level athleticism.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A player has to have skills to go along with athleticism. I think this is where McDonough went wrong, drafting athleticism hoping the skills would follow.

I see no reason James Jones wouldn't value players who have both. When Jones first became GM he had to improve the team's talent base without the luxury of missing.

Saric, Baynes and Cam Johnson were all acquired during the draft. Yes, Jerome appears to be a miss but no ones hits 100%.

But Saric, Baynes, Cam and Jerome, as well as Kaminsky, are all well below average in athleticism. My concern is that Jones has gone to the other extreme...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But Saric, Baynes, Cam and Jerome, as well as Kaminsky, are all well below average in athleticism. My concern is that Jones has gone to the other extreme...

And yet we just had our longest winning streak since Nash was here.

so something is clearly working

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kaminsky and Jerome definitely tipped the roster towards too many average athletic players.

In the bubble Saric, Cam Payne and Carter were the primary bench players which provided some balance. Also Baynes didn't play. I'm hoping that the Suns add at least a few more athletic players to the roster next season.

I'm not expecting Okobo and Kaminisky to return, probably Baynes as we.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And yet we just had our longest winning streak since Nash was here.

so something is clearly working

Again, I caution you not to give too much credence to a win streak in what clearly was not a standard regular season situation, particularly when considering the team's performance before COVID hit.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, I caution you not to give too much credence to a win streak in what clearly was not a standard regular season situation, particularly when considering the team's performance before COVID hit.

before covid weren’t we on pace to win more games than we won in the last few seasons?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
before covid weren’t we on pace to win more games than we won in the last few seasons?
Better than bad (not making the playoffs for a decade) does not necessarily mean good.

We're less bad! We're less bad! :shrug:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Better than bad (not making the playoffs for a decade) does not necessarily mean good.

We're less bad! We're less bad! :shrug:

isn’t that called going in the right direction for a young team?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, but we were still bad, soft and weak, and we were exposed at power forward.

Sooooo despite Ayton 25 game suspension we were still on pace to win more games than we’ve won in YEARS.

came back and won 8 in a row in the bubble the longest winning streak in YEARS

and yet your still not happy.

I don’t know what world you live in but the world I live in there isn’t a magic wand you can wave and just be great. It’s called building a team. This isn’t fantasy sports.

I think you’d rather the team fail and be right than the team win and you be wrong.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sooooo despite Ayton 25 game suspension we were still on pace to win more games than we’ve won in YEARS.

came back and won 8 in a row in the bubble the longest winning streak in YEARS

and yet your still not happy.

I don’t know what world you live in but the world I live in there isn’t a magic wand you can wave and just be great. It’s called building a team. This isn’t fantasy sports.

I think you’d rather the team fail and be right than the team win and you be wrong.

The world I live in is wanting my team to make the playoffs for the first time in over a decade, and realizing that doing so is necessary for the franchise player not to eye a move elsewhere.

It is going to take a viable NBA starting power forward, a back-up scoring shooting guard or combo guard and a back-up big for that to happen.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The world I live in is wanting my team to make the playoffs for the first time in over a decade, and realizing that doing so is necessary for the franchise player not to eye a move elsewhere.

It is going to take a viable NBA starting power forward, a back-up sciring shooting guard or combo guard and a back-up big for that to happen.

lol

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The only thing laughable is anyone thinking all of this team's problems are solved based on an 8-game winning streak, much of which was in a preseason-type environment...

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only thing laughable is you thinking all if this team's problems are solved based on an 8-game winning streak, much of which was in a preseason-type environment...

No one ever said that.

I’m just laughing at you.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers strategy again is to bludgeon Jokic. Howard with one nasty foul on him that was not reviewed by referees.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson