The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All the talent in the world and he's pissing it away. I guess it could be worse, he could be looking great in Memphis and make the Suns look really bad for giving up on him early. He's been in the league 2 years and he's not even taking part in an NBA training camp this offseason. I don't think anyone could have foreseen he'd end up like this.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The G-League is where Jackson belonged early in his career. I think the Grizzlies are making the right decision.

It's easier for them to put the #4 pick in the G-League than the team that drafted him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players can say it better than anyone else.

"There's a lot of stuff that's out there, it's just how deep you want to read into it," Butler said at his introductory press conference. "I don't think I'm that bad of a guy. I'm not an cornholio like everybody thinks that I am."

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1842642

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not liking what they are experimenting with in the G-League... the one shot foul.

This is from ESPN:

The NBA G League is experimenting this season with a new rule under which trips to the free throw line will include only a single foul shot that will be worth one, two or three points depending on the nature of the foul leading to the attempt, officials told ESPN.

It marks the latest move -- in both the G League and the NBA -- to improve game flow and reduce the length of games. Officials estimate that moving to a "one foul shot for all the points" model will shave between six and eight minutes off each G League game, said Brad Walker, head of basketball operations for the league.

By Zach LoweESPN Senior Writer

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27707068/g-league-experiment-single-foul-shot

I'm not quite sure why they think NBA games are too long.

Last edited:

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do away with all of the time outs and clock stoppages especially under two minutes, to shorten the game time. Not the one shot fouls. That will just make them foul more barring other penalties.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do away with all of the time outs and clock stoppages especially under two minutes, to shorten the game time. Not the one shot fouls. That will just make them foul more barring other penalties.

I agree, limiting timeouts under the two minute mark would help.

Actually the one shot foul would not apply under the two minute mark under the experimental G-League rule.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What?!? It would dissuade fouling as it’s easier to make a single FT for 2 or 3 points than it is to hit 2 FTs for 2 points or 3 FTs for three points.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not liking what they are experimenting with in the G-League... the one shot foul.

This is from ESPN:

The NBA G League is experimenting this season with a new rule under which trips to the free throw line will include only a single foul shot that will be worth one, two or three points depending on the nature of the foul leading to the attempt, officials told ESPN.

It marks the latest move -- in both the G League and the NBA -- to improve game flow and reduce the length of games. Officials estimate that moving to a "one foul shot for all the points" model will shave between six and eight minutes off each G League game, said Brad Walker, head of basketball operations for the league.

By Zach LoweESPN Senior Writer

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27707068/g-league-experiment-single-foul-shot

I'm not quite sure why they think NBA games are too long.
I don't like it either.

If you really wanted to make it interesting, just give the fouled player a free shot from wherever the foul was committed--layup for a layup, three pointer for a three pointer. Whatever. That would make all those games of around the world that you played as a kid worthwhile.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard the reasoning for this decision other than some of the measurements were off the wall and the NBA decided to clean it up.

I'm guessing the growing importance of sports reference sites and the move towards advanced stats played a role.

I'm just guessing but I suspect it's related to sports betting - full disclosure and all that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like it either.

If you really wanted to make it interesting, just give the fouled player a free shot from wherever the foul was committed--layup for a layup, three pointer for a three pointer. Whatever. That would make all those games of around the world that you played as a kid worthwhile.

They should take a page from Harry Potter's world - regardless of score, the first team to shoot and make a free throw wins the game. I figure most contests will end in the first few minutes so with a 2 hour time slot that should give them just enough time to squeeze in 117 minutes worth of commercials.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I liked it in the 3 man league this year. They had the 1 free throw counted for 2 on a fouled shot. I hate watching multiple free throws. Hit one, or not, and move on. I like the one and one free throws. Miss your first, you don't get the second.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to reports, Spencer Dinwiddie is having problems using his contract in what is described as a digital investment vehicle.

“According to recent reports, Spencer Dinwiddie intends to sell investors a ‘tokenized security’ that will be backed by his player contract. The described arrangement is prohibited by the C.B.A., which provides that ‘no player shall assign or otherwise transfer to any third party his right to receive compensation from the team under his uniform player contract.’ ”

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...nwiddie-From-Turning-Contract-Into-Investment

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize Anthony Bennett is still around. It looks like he will be with the Rockets G-League.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't realize Anthony Bennett is still around. It looks like he will be with the Rockets G-League.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Gotta give him credit. He keeps at it, regardless of the flopped pick label attached to him. It takes a certain amount of mental fortitude not to take your millions, put your tail between your legs and disappear.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gotta give him credit. He keeps at it, regardless of the flopped pick label attached to him. It takes a certain amount of mental fortitude not to take your millions, put your tail between your legs and disappear.
He played some games for NAZ, nothing wrong with his game. Its his heart and not hustle en every play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes. Have to give Bennett credit. He was the #1 pick and he does not balk at going to the G-League.

Perhaps the same with Josh Jackson but Bennett is further removed from the NBA.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. Have to give Bennett credit. He was the #1 pick and he does not balk at going to the G-League.

Perhaps the same with Josh Jackson but Bennett is further removed from the NBA.

I think the only reason Jackson is going to the G-League is because he's still got his NBA contract. If he were cut like Bennett has been, multiple times, and then went to the G-League, I'd give him credit for doing the work to get back to the league. Right now, his assignment to the G-League could very well be his last stop on his way to the unemployment office.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the only reason Jackson is going to the G-League is because he's still got his NBA contract. If he were cut like Bennett has been, multiple times, and then went to the G-League, I'd give him credit for doing the work to get back to the league. Right now, his assignment to the G-League could very well be his last stop on his way to the unemployment office.

Josh Jackson could have probably refused to go to the G-League but he is smart enough to realize that this may be his best chance to stick in the NBA as you point out. Next season is a team option.

Bennett is just happy to have a chance to make an NBA team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard