The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's funny. Fans don't want tampering. However, fans are chomping at the but for free agency to open and contracts to be signed immediately! This last free agency many sports casters were saying was one of the best ever! Without tampering, arguably free agency slows down.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I reading this right... LaMelo Ball as a candidate for the #1 pick.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania
Shams Charania Retweeted Shams Charania

The NBA has awarded the Pelicans the $3.625M Disabled Player Exception for loss of Darius Miller, league sources say.

Shams Charania added,

Shams CharaniaVerified account @ShamsCharania
The New Orleans Pelicans have applied for a $3.625M disabled player exception from the NBA for the projected season-ending loss of Darius Miller, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

10:17 AM - 24 Sep 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

Nets GM Sean Marks says today at the team's preseason media availability that the expectation remains that Kevin Durant will miss the entire season as he recovers from a torn Achilles

10:03 AM - 24 Sep 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I guess you can't even talk about your own players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's funny. Fans don't want tampering. However, fans are chomping at the but for free agency to open and contracts to be signed immediately! This last free agency many sports casters were saying was one of the best ever! Without tampering, arguably free agency slows down.
I just depends on whether your favorite player is leaving, or joining your team.

IMO, NBA free agency should include some sort of compensatory picks. It would even the level of competition. For instance, if OKC got a 1st rounder for losing KD. They do not even need to come from the signing team. They could be slotted into the first round various places depending on the caliber of player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what type of contract Chriss signed with the Warriors.

Chris Haynes‏Verified account @ChrisBHaynes

Free agent forward Marquese Chriss — 8th pick in 2016 NBA Draft — has reached an agreement on a one-year deal with the Golden State Warriors, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

3:20 PM - 24 Sep 2019

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
yeah but he is more of a playmaking shooting guard.

Luckily there is good depth of PG talent in next years lottery.

Cole Anthony , son of former NBA player Greg Anthony.

Nico Mannion , Phoenix native at UofA

Kilian Hayes, american born with french nationality, who signed with a french team at age 16 and is now 18 playing in the German top league

Theo Maledon, young french top prospect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Théo_Maledon

RJ Hamption, american 5 star prospect who choose to play for the New Zealand Breakers in the Australian league instead of the NCAA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if the Suns address point guard with their first pick in the 2020 draft or feel other needs are more of a priority. It wouldn't hurt to start grooming a PGOTF although the Suns have Rubio, Jerome and Lecque among others. They might be fine at this position.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan Anderson returns to Rockets to a partially guaranteed contract. I'm not sure what a "significantly partially guaranteed deal" means exactly.

Free agent forward Ryan Anderson has agreed to a significantly partially guaranteed deal with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Anderson returns to Houston.

1:57 PM - 25 Sep 2019

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ryan Anderson returns to Rockets to a partially guaranteed contract. I'm not sure what a "significantly partially guaranteed deal" means exactly.

Free agent forward Ryan Anderson has agreed to a significantly partially guaranteed deal with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Anderson returns to Houston.

1:57 PM - 25 Sep 2019

It's probably a significant amount of the deal guaranteed, making it almost a fully guaranteed deal. I would guess that something around 75% guaranteed would be considered significant enough to warrant that language. I could be wrong but if he's cut then I'm sure we'll hear more about that. I think he stands a good chance of hitting the guaranteed date because Houston's roster is incredibly thin, especially in the frontcourt.

Anderson had a couple of decent games in Miami after he was traded there last year but I think he's almost done as a player. He can fill the Eddie House type of bench shooter role though, bring him in and see if his shot's falling and if it's not then glue him to the bench. He's definitely not an a rotation player anymore.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably a significant amount of the deal guaranteed, making it almost a fully guaranteed deal. I would guess that something around 75% guaranteed would be considered significant enough to warrant that language. I could be wrong but if he's cut then I'm sure we'll hear more about that. I think he stands a good chance of hitting the guaranteed date because Houston's roster is incredibly thin, especially in the frontcourt.

Anderson had a couple of decent games in Miami after he was traded there last year but I think he's almost done as a player. He can fill the Eddie House type of bench shooter role though, bring him in and see if his shot's falling and if it's not then glue him to the bench. He's definitely not an a rotation player anymore.

I simply found the language a bit unusual as perhaps did Kellan Olson.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like we find out the correct height of players with the shoes off.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like we find out the correct height of players with the shoes off.

I wonder what caused that to happen. It'll be nice to know as a fan but I'm not sure what it matters to the league, really. I guess it could just be making the game more fan friendly but who knows.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wonder what caused that to happen. It'll be nice to know as a fan but I'm not sure what it matters to the league, really. I guess it could just be making the game more fan friendly but who knows.
Truth in advertising? And the obsession with putting height over weight, as evidenced by the League
specifically not including weight, despite it being listed on every player's stat sheet alongside height.

It's Barkley's fault, deciding that 6'4 1/2" wasn't impressive for a Power Forward seeking fame, so
he fabricated it to 6'6". Or big men stretching their 6'11" to 7-feet because it sounds better. :)

My first thought was why not measure their height in socks? Then I considered that they don't
play in socks. But I guess sneakers can alter playing height. So socks keep the guidelines even.

I have advocated the idea of Ayton playing Power Forward alongside a shorter Center, because
bulk is more important for a Center. Evidently, the League is still obsessed with height and not
concerned with weight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I haven't heard the reasoning for this decision other than some of the measurements were off the wall and the NBA decided to clean it up.

I'm guessing the growing importance of sports reference sites and the move towards advanced stats played a role.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyle Kuzma is reportedly out for the Lakers with a stress fracture in his left foot.

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

The Lakers make it official and confirm our @NYTSports report from Tuesday that Kyle Kuzma is out indefinitely with a stress reaction in his left foot

4:33 PM - 26 Sep 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
De'Anthony Melton is reportedly out due to a stress reaction in his back.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Memphis Grizzlies forward De'Anthony Melton will miss one to two months with what the team has described as a stress reaction in his back.

The Grizzlies announced Melton's injury Thursday in a team release. Grizzlies officials said Melton should return to basketball activities in four to eight weeks.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27709235/grizzlies-melton-4-8-weeks-back-injury

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an update on the status of Kyle Kuzma.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder when that came about. That makes trading him away less of an issue. Back issues aren't anything to mess with.

I couldn't find out anything new about Melton's injury but it was interesting to see how a Memphis newspaper report views Melton and Jackson.

Memphis acquired Melton, a second-year point guard, from the Phoenix Suns during the offseason in a deal that sent Jevon Carter and Kyle Korver to Phoenix.

The deal also brought third-year wing Josh Jackson to Memphis.

While Jackson's future remains murky, there is hope that Melton could develop into a rotation player.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...y-melton-out-4-8-weeks-back-issue/3779927002/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to give this a listen when I get a chance about Lonzo Ball.