The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

MyNBAUpdate @MyNBAUpdate

This Anthony Davis trade speculation is looking much like the Paul George situation. If the Lakers can’t cash in, there is a possibility he’s happy wherever he lands. Teams will most likely still be willing to part with quality assets to acquire the chance at resigning him.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And what do you think Rich Paul will do? I'd bet that he'd take a very hard line with the Pelicans with a "trade him now or we will let every team know that he will only sign with the Lakers". It's not like it hasn't been done before and while some may want to trade for Davis hoping to change his mind - I can't see anyone volunteering to enter that mess knowing how willing Rich is to play hard ball with his client hanging in the balance. Davis has as much leverage as he needs IMO.

The Lakers can't sign him unless they hold cap space open until the summer of 2020. That's another year of LeBron surrounded with 1 year contract players waiting for 2020.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

MyNBAUpdate @MyNBAUpdate

This Anthony Davis trade speculation is looking much like the Paul George situation. If the Lakers can’t cash in, there is a possibility he’s happy wherever he lands. Teams will most likely still be willing to part with quality assets to acquire the chance at resigning him.

It's similar, but the major difference is the fact that Davis signed with Klutch Sports in September..

George's agent is Aaron Mintz, while Davis' agent is Lebron James (errrrrr, "Rich Paul")

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers can't sign him unless they hold cap space open until the summer of 2020. That's another year of LeBron surrounded with 1 year contract players waiting for 2020.

I understand that, I just don't think it's all that important in this situation. Rich Paul is not going to let him land in OKC or Milwaukee, he and Lebron have big plans that go well beyond the next year or two of LBJ's playing career. New Orleans would be playing a dangerous game if they decided to hold onto him until the last minute.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Portland could be a darkhorse for Davis. They could part with McCollum and Nurkic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The irony is the Pelicans may get their best trade package from the Lakers only to see it squashed by the NBA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The irony is the Pelicans may get their best trade package from the Lakers only to see it squashed by the NBA.

I don't think there will be any league backlash from this. The situation isn't the same as the Chris Paul trade since the League isn't running the franchise and Stern isn't running the NBA. Silver and company are just giving lip service (IMO) to what's going on, I doubt they are all that upset that Davis will be somewhere other than New Orleans. And I really doubt they'll make much of stink over it if he lands in LA or New York as many of us suspect will happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there will be any league backlash from this. The situation isn't the same as the Chris Paul trade since the League isn't running the franchise and Stern isn't running the NBA. Silver and company are just giving lip service (IMO) to what's going on, I doubt they are all that upset that Davis will be somewhere other than New Orleans. And I really doubt they'll make much of stink over it if he lands in LA or New York as many of us suspect will happen.

It's hard to know if anything has been going on behind the scenes.

This might be the Suns best chance to get Jrue Holiday or Lonzo Ball.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I understand that, I just don't think it's all that important in this situation. Rich Paul is not going to let him land in OKC or Milwaukee, he and Lebron have big plans that go well beyond the next year or two of LBJ's playing career. New Orleans would be playing a dangerous game if they decided to hold onto him until the last minute.

can hardly do anything about it if a team decides to take the risk on Davis not re-signing

same thing OKC did with George and Toronto did with Kawhi.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lebron wouldn’t have signed up for the Lake Show if they didn’t have a solid plan. Nosferatu can say whatever he wants about policing collusion. Lakers/Celtics finals equals huge dollars for the league.

YUGE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that is true.

Overall the league is hurting from having the lense only on the Lakers and Warriors.

ESPN 20 years ago did some sports reporting, nowadays it is only entertainment and they have the broadcasting rights to the NBA they should be neutral and give all teams equal coverage but it is more like 50% Lakers/Lebron, 25% Warriors, 10% Celtics 10% Knicks and 5% what is trending while being completely uninformed about any other teams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can hardly do anything about it if a team decides to take the risk on Davis not re-signing

same thing OKC did with George and Toronto did with Kawhi.

Given Rich Paul's history I'd say it's nowhere near the same thing that happened with George and Kawhi. If he makes it clear that Davis will not stay with any team that trades for him, I don't think anyone is going to be foolish enough to thing that's a bluff.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Given Rich Paul's history I'd say it's nowhere near the same thing that happened with George and Kawhi. If he makes it clear that Davis will not stay with any team that trades for him, I don't think anyone is going to be foolish enough to thing that's a bluff.

Well he has to play somewhere and if the Lakers spend their cap space this summer, then they literally can't sign him.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Marc Stein

@TheSteinLine

Even though it is likely that the Knicks' strongest offer for Anthony Davis would come in May once their draft position is known, one source with knowledge of the team's thinking confirms that the Knicks are intent on making themselves a factor in the Davis Sweepstakes

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he has to play somewhere and if the Lakers spend their cap space this summer, then they literally can't sign him.

He can play out his contract in New Orleans if the Pelicans won't move him where he wants, that's always the sword over the franchise's head. I think Rich Paul wants him in LA but that's just the same guess most of the media is making. He could just as easily have his eyes on New York or some other major market. My point is that Rich Paul will control this more than the Saints management group will.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This! I have said this multiple times. All the Pelicans have to do is hold onto Davis until free agency. The Lakers will be forced to give up on Davis and pursue other free agents or risk wasting another year with LeBron who will turn 35 next season. Once they use their cap space on other players, Davis will have no leverage to get to LA as 2020 free agency will not be an option.

But how does that help the Pelicans? If they're going to lose Davis anyway, don't they want the team that trades for him to be able to offer a strong return?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
But how does that help the Pelicans? If they're going to lose Davis anyway, don't they want the team that trades for him to be able to offer a strong return?
In that case wait for the draft

Doubt they can get Zion for AD but maybe the Knicks would do it

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He can play out his contract in New Orleans if the Pelicans won't move him where he wants, that's always the sword over the franchise's head. I think Rich Paul wants him in LA but that's just the same guess most of the media is making. He could just as easily have his eyes on New York or some other major market. My point is that Rich Paul will control this more than the Saints management group will.
If he plays out his contract then goes to the Lakers, he would be joining a 35 year old LeBron James.

LeBron joining the Lakers had nothing to do with wanting to win and was more so about the off court opportunities in LA. Makes sense since he’s already done all his winning titles and accolades and all that.

Davis is barely 26 years old and has even very recently said that winning is more of a priority for him than money and sponsorships and all that type of stuff.

Can’t imagine a washed up LeBron will help him get there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Exactly. The pelicans intent isn’t to screw Davis or LA but to get the best return they can. If they can screw those guys in return I’m sure they will, but return on Davis is their #1 priority.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone should really try and pull a Kawai Trade here and go for the gold with Davis. We've seen it work in OKC. Might work in Toronto.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LeBron joining the Lakers had nothing to do with wanting to win and was more so about the off court opportunities in LA. Makes sense since he’s already done all his winning titles and accolades and all that.

I’ve been wondering about this too. I don’t doubt LeBron wants to win another championship in LA, but would Klutch want Davis in NY while LeBron is top dog in LA, rather than, say, Durant being top dog in NY?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And Lebron in LA is not Lebron in Cleveland offering teammates a guaranteed deep playoff run and a finals opportunity. So far it looks like players in LA won't even make the playoffs. So what sort of 1 year contracts will they surround him with? Headcases like he's surrounded by now. The Rondo's, Beasley's, McGee's, Stephenson's, etc. They stand a better shot at one of the talented but disruptive players falling in line than acquiring anyone else who would be willing to hang out in Laker Land for a year and not even make the playoffs. Who wants to put up with Lebron when a deep playoff run and possible title isn't the reward?

Last edited: