The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am watching a couple videos from the sports talk shows and they are all for AD forcing himself to the Lakers.

This is total BS. Does the NBA really want to be the league where only LA or NY or Maybe GS are the teams that can win the title? There is a limit to what fans in other cities will be willing to put up with if this is allowed to continue or encouraged.

They are so biased too. Like I just saw Kellerman act like the knicks unprotected pick might be enough for AD. How stupid is this guy - He acts like the Knicks own Zion's rights right now. Unless he knows something about the lottery being rigged that I don't - 14% chance is a seriously small chance.

I blame a lot of this on Lebron. I cannot wait for his career to be over.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ColdPickleNachos

If the Pelicans get Ball in the hypothetical trade with the Lakers it makes the trading of Holiday much more likely.

I guess the Pelicans could send Ball elsewhere involving a third team.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Davis and Holiday for Ayton, Warren, Jackson, Anderson, Okobo/Melton, 2019 unprotected first, and Milwaukee first.

Davis is a top 5 player and the Suns have struck out on big name trades with Kyrie and Harden before that. We have to take a big swing at Davis.

Holiday
Booker
Bridges
Oubre
Davis

Can Boston or LA beat our offer?

No LA or Boston couldn’t beat that. Even with Anderson thrown in its still Ayton + a top-3 pick. But they won’t need to beat our offer cause they know he’d stay there long term.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If Davis goes to the Lakers, it turns the league into the biggest circus sideshow it's ever been.

Unfortunately, it won't matter because the Lakers are the ultimate Bandwagon team across the country, so money will continue to flow. The NBA has NO interest in competitive balance.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NO would be foolish to take the Lakers offer. They struggled against our lousy mess. Lakers can make a run at Davis this year, Boston would ultimately make a better offer than Lakers but have to wait until the season is over.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I am watching a couple videos from the sports talk shows and they are all for AD forcing himself to the Lakers.

This is total BS. Does the NBA really want to be the league where only LA or NY or Maybe GS are the teams that can win the title? There is a limit to what fans in other cities will be willing to put up with if this is allowed to continue or encouraged.

Unfortunately, that is EXACTLY what the NBA wants. They want only a limited number of large market teams to ever be competitive for the championship. It's the David Stern model going back 35 years. The very last thing the NBA (and by proxy, big sports media) wants is a league where Portland, OK City, Utah, NO, Charlotte, Toronto, etc. have any chance to be in the finals on a consistent basis. That's why the league does its level best to funnel the elite players to the biggest markets.

They only tolerated the likes of Cleveland and San Antonio being legitimate contenders because marquee players were happy staying there for extended periods. Pro sports in general are getting to be so that franchises in smaller cities are invited to only play for participation trophies. In the interest of maximizing profits, the major sports leagues want to tilt the game board so the big media market franchises are the only ones that get to play for the real goodies, and fair competition for fans of other teams be damned.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
@ColdPickleNachos

If the Pelicans get Ball in the hypothetical trade with the Lakers it makes the trading of Holiday much more likely.

I guess the Pelicans could send Ball elsewhere involving a third team.

Maybe...I think they could definitely play Ball and Holiday together. Holiday is a hybrid right now and often plays the 2 with Payton (somewhat stylistically similar to Lonzo) at the 1.

The bigger thing I would focus on (in regards to Holiday being available) is whether the package New Orleans gets for Davis includes veterans. If they bring back only young guys, I think they're more likely to tear everything down and start over. If they feel like they can be somewhat competitive, I assume they are likely to try to rebuild around Holiday and Mirotic/Randle.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh. Well then, uh, maybe. Holiday's contract is big enough that it brings his value down some.

Yeah. I don't think the Suns could get Davis with a package that doesn't start with Booker or Ayton, and then there is no reason the Suns are more desirable for AD than the Pelicans. He's 100% not coming to the Suns.

Holiday, on the other hand, is a potentially wonderful fit with Booker...as you pointed out some time ago.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I totally agree. My eyes lit up the first time around when I saw Zubac and Kuzma. Adding Ingram and Ball makes it a way better trade. Theoretically those four players could be starters.

I'd take Zubac and Kuzma over Brown and Tatum

Starters for a sub-.500 basketball team, sure.

Davis is going to have some say in the trade destination, that's for sure. I think he's going to push for the Lakers, and that will put the Pelicans in the situation that the Lakers can start dictating the terms a bit.

I hate the Lakers.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Burns and Gambo currently discussing likelihood that Booker will be among the next to ask out if the team isn't markedly improved this time next year. They also mentioned Bledsoe's statements regarding the losing taking its toll and bad habits eating away at his game and seeing a similar effect on Booker lately.

As ugly as things are now, it's about get even worse...

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Burns and Gambo currently discussing likelihood that Booker will be among the next to ask out if the team isn't markedly improved this time next year. They also mentioned Bledsoe's statements regarding the losing taking its toll and bad habits eating away at his game and seeing a similar effect on Booker lately.

As ugly as things are now, it's about get even worse...

Yeah we may lose Booker and become the worst team in the NBA. Oh wait

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starters for a sub-.500 basketball team, sure.

Davis is going to have some say in the trade destination, that's for sure. I think he's going to push for the Lakers, and that will put the Pelicans in the situation that the Lakers can start dictating the terms a bit.

I hate the Lakers.

I certainly don't think you will find any Suns fans who like the Lakers. LOL

Personally I think Kuzma and Zubac are underrated players who could start for a good team. They would only be pieces in a larger trade.

If the Pelicans could get Kuzma, Ingram, Ball and Zubac for AD, I think it would be a solid trade.

Zubac is an expiring contract so this might lower his value.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't begrudge AD or any player seeking to control their own destiny, but if he goes to the Lakers and we immediately put LAL/GSW on repeat for most conference finals, I will lose a lot of my remaining non-Suns interest in the NBA. "Why start now?" you could reasonably ask...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
could we make a reasonable offer without Booker or Ayton?

2019 pick unprotected
2021 pick top 3 protected
2020 top 7 protected Bucks pick
Josh Jackson
Elie Okobo
Tj Warren
Ryan Anderson

for

Anthony Davis
and salary filler that is not going to be on the cap (Mirotic or Randle)

We would have only Davis, Booker, Ayton and Bridges under contract and 33M$ caproom.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless James Jones has untapped gifted powers, I can't see any reason Anthony Davis would want to come to the Suns.

The Suns are probably be at the bottom of his list.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
could we make a reasonable offer without Booker or Ayton?

2019 pick unprotected
2021 pick top 3 protected
2020 top 7 protected Bucks pick
Josh Jackson
Elie Okobo
Tj Warren
Ryan Anderson

for

Anthony Davis
and salary filler that is not going to be on the cap (Mirotic or Randle)

We would have only Davis, Booker, Ayton and Bridges under contract and 33M$ caproom.

No. I would laugh at that offer. But the more important part is why would the suns be dumb enough to make any offer. There is ZERO chance he would resign with us and be happy.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless James Jones has untapped gifted powers, I can't see any reason Anthony Davis would want to come to the Suns.

Maybe above Cleveland, Orlando, or the Hawks - but that would be it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd love to see AD go to the Knicks and them sign KD this summer

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think we are at the bottom of the list, tied with just about every other team. I'd be beyond shocked if he went anywhere other than where Rich Paul has already decided to send him. I'm assuming that's the Lakers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are at the bottom of the list, tied with just about every other team. I'd be beyond shocked if he went anywhere other than where Rich Paul has already decided to send him. I'm assuming that's the Lakers.

This sounds about right. I think it would be smart to pretend there is competition for Anthony Davis otherwise it leaves room for the commissioner to get involved.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds about right. I think it would be smart to pretend there is competition for Anthony Davis otherwise it leaves room for the commissioner to get involved.

Yeah, that's the way I see it. I thought this was carved in stone the moment he signed with Rich Paul. He's going to the Lakers unless Lebron has a reason he shouldn't. In which case, I'd expect some place like New York to raise both Anthony and Paul's brand.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson