The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After viewing the video I suspected something like this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

This was the version of PJ Tucker we got to see often towards the end of his tenure here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an update on Oladipo. He will reportedly have surgery at a later date.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dinwiddie might have need for thumb surgery.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dinwiddie might have need for thumb surgery.

So much for D'Angelo Russell being available anytime in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on the serious of Dinwiddie's injury, the thought occurred to me this might Dinwiddie more available in trade.

Also he would not hurt the Suns chances in the lottery because he might sit the rest of the season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an update on Oladipo. He will reportedly have surgery at a later date.

Ouch for an athletic guy like him that could be a huge setback.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This was the version of PJ Tucker we got to see often towards the end of his tenure here.

The funny part of that to me is Vonleh(?) acting like he wasn't sure if he could pick the ball up or not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the starters for the All-Star game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The funny part of that to me is Vonleh(?) acting like he wasn't sure if he could pick the ball up or not.
Tucker just seems to have a hard time with inbounds passes. He had issues with it when was on the Suns as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of Mavericks participating in All-Star weekend.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A couple of Mavericks participating in All-Star weekend.

Looks like the Mavericks will have representatives in almost all of Saturday’s events.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I found this really interesting. Apparently any NBA player that is waived between July 1st and August 31st has to have their contract stretched. It's not a choice of the team who releases them or the players choice. There are also a lot of little details about the stretch provision in here and why some players are for it while others are against it. Worth a read for anyone that is interested in the salary cap side of the NBA.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/01/10/n...ision-spencer-hawes-joakim-noah-knicks-lakers

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like the Mavericks will have representatives in almost all of Saturday’s events.

Now all they need is a participant in the All-Star game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears Dinwiddie will have thumb surgery and expected to be out 3-6 weeks.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All hell about to break loose.

Davis has told the Pelicans he wants out.

From Woj

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All hell about to break loose.

Davis has told the Pelicans he wants out.

From Woj

Was coming to post the same thing. New Orleans needs to make him wait if they want the best return possible. Boston can make the best offer but they can't do it until the offseason. I'd much rather have either Jaylen Brown or Tatum than the Lakers middling prospects. Davis is still out with an injury and I believe he's got another 3 weeks of rehab, at least, so I can't see anyone being in a hurry to get something done other than the Lakers and that's only because they know Boston can beat their offer in the offseason.

I'd like to see the Suns make a pitch for Holiday but I'm not sure if they would consider moving him now. I guess it all depends on whether they move Davis this year.

Edit: Boston can't do a deal until the offseason because a team isn't allowed 2 players who are on "Rose Rule" contracts at the same time. Those contracts allow young players to sign for 30% of the cap rather than 25% coming off of their rookie contracts. Irving is on one of those and so is AD. You're able to sign those deals if you make X amount of All-Star teams, All-NBA teams, etc. Irving can opt out this summer, and he will, and then they can trade for AD. Until then they would need to include Irving in any deal for Davis.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was coming to post the same thing. New Orleans needs to make him wait if they want the best return possible. Boston can make the best offer but they can't do it until the offseason. I'd much rather have either Jaylen Brown or Tatum than the Lakers middling prospects. Davis is still out with an injury and I believe he's got another 3 weeks of rehab, at least, so I can't see anyone being in a hurry to get something done other than the Lakers and that's only because they know Boston can beat their offer in the offseason.

I'd like to see the Suns make a pitch for Holiday but I'm not sure if they would consider moving him now. I guess it all depends on whether they move Davis this year.

Edit: Boston can't do a deal until the offseason because a team isn't allowed 2 players who are on "Rose Rule" contracts at the same time. Those contracts allow young players to sign for 30% of the cap rather than 25% coming off of their rookie contracts. Irving is on one of those and so is AD. You're able to sign those deals if you make X amount of All-Star teams, All-NBA teams, etc. Irving can opt out this summer, and he will, and then they can trade for AD. Until then they would need to include Irving in any deal for Davis.

Yeah if im N.O I just sit back and wait. Im in no hurry. I don't want the lakers half assed prospects, the celtics got good young talent and a ton of picks.

Since AD is gone they might blow it all the way up and put holiday on the block.

What would you give up?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah if im N.O I just sit back and wait. Im in no hurry. I don't want the lakers half assed prospects, the celtics got good young talent and a ton of picks.

Since AD is gone they might blow it all the way up and put holiday on the block.

What would you give up?

Anything they want except for Booker, Ayton, and if at all possible Bridges, Holmes, and Oubre. Warren, Jackson, Suns pick, Bucks pick, rookie point guards, expiring contracts of Bender and Daniels are all on the table. I'd like to keep Bridges, Oubre, and Holmes, but I could be persuaded to include one of them as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What would you give up?

If I was Boston I'd give them any one they wanted, basically. I'd try to get it done with a package of Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, and picks but that's probably not enough with the picks being in question right now as far as what they end up as. The have Memphis' pick this year but it's top 8 protected. They also get the better of Sacramento or Philadelphia's 1st this year, which will be the Kings this year but it is #1 overall protected. They own the Clippers pick but it's lottery protected this year. I think that's all they have, not sure how they look next year if some don't convey. They can offer better picks than the Lakers and if they included Tatum then I think their young players would be better than the Lakers also. I think Tatum will be a multi-time All-Star but I'm not sure if any of Ball, Kuzma, and Ingram make an All-Star team. I don't think any are a shoo-in for that and definitely not more than 1, especially in the West. Boston could also include Hayward and they might need to in order to get salaries to work. If they offered New Orleans Hayward and Jaylen Brown plus a pick of New Orleans choosing then I don't think the Pelicans can do better than that. They would have a solid young prospect in Brown, an All-Star in Hayward, and a good lottery pick to use however. That would help them retool quickly and again it's better than what the Lakers can offer. I'd trade Hayward before Tatum if I were Boston but I wouldn't let either of them hold me up too much in a deal. They might need to offer Tatum to make the Pelicans wait since they can't do it until the summer but that would also allow Boston time to flip some of their picks to help fill whatever hole that a Davis trade might make.

Other than Giannis, I think every team will make virtually their whole team available for Davis. I'd trade Ayton or Booker for Davis but I can't see the Suns being able to make a deal that would allow them to be better than the Pelicans after acquiring Davis. If we traded Booker and Ayton for Davis then he'd be close to what he had in New Orleans as far as having no real help. Ayton, Warren, and Jackson for Davis? That leaves the Suns with Booker, Bridges, and Davis as our "Big 3" with Oubre as well. I think Ayton will be good but I can't see him being as good as Davis.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anything they want except for Booker, Ayton, and if at all possible Bridges, Holmes, and Oubre. Warren, Jackson, Suns pick, Bucks pick, rookie point guards, expiring contracts of Bender and Daniels are all on the table. I'd like to keep Bridges, Oubre, and Holmes, but I could be persuaded to include one of them as well.

New Orleans calls Phoenix and says they want Ayton, Warren, and Jackson for AD. Do you say no to that? I don't see how you could. I like Ayton and think he'll be really good but we'd be lucky if he's ever as good as Davis, especially on defense. I can't see Ayton ever being as good Davis on that end, he might end being a better offensive player but defensively Davis is one of the best big's in the league and he's only 25. He will get better, so will Ayton but you can't teach defense like that. He's already averaging 29.3 ppg, 13.3 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.7 steals, and 2.6 blocks. He's 3rd in PPG, 2nd in blocks per game, and 4th in rebounds. He also has the highest PER in the league right now with 31.0. Harden is catching up with his crazy run as of late and he's at 30.7 PER but #3 in PER is Giannis with 29.2, Davis is almost 2 full points higher. The only reason Harden's close is because he's averaging 44.1 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 7.7 apg, and 1.9 steals in the 13 games he's played in January, which is a historic run that is absolutely insane but even with that run, he hasn't surpassed Davis.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave