The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Davis and Holiday for Ayton, Warren, Jackson, Anderson, Okobo/Melton, 2019 unprotected first, and Milwaukee first.

Davis is a top 5 player and the Suns have struck out on big name trades with Kyrie and Harden before that. We have to take a big swing at Davis.

Holiday
Booker
Bridges
Oubre
Davis

Can Boston or LA beat our offer?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
New Orleans calls Phoenix and says they want Ayton, Warren, and Jackson for AD. Do you say no to that? I don't see how you could. I like Ayton and think he'll be really good but we'd be lucky if he's ever as good as Davis, especially on defense. I can't see Ayton ever being as good Davis on that end, he might end being a better offensive player but defensively Davis is one of the best big's in the league and he's only 25. He will get better, so will Ayton but you can't teach defense like that. He's already averaging 29.3 ppg, 13.3 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.7 steals, and 2.6 blocks. He's 3rd in PPG, 2nd in blocks per game, and 4th in rebounds. He also has the highest PER in the league right now with 31.0. Harden is catching up with his crazy run as of late and he's at 30.7 PER but #3 in PER is Giannis with 29.2, Davis is almost 2 full points higher. The only reason Harden's close is because he's averaging 44.1 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 7.7 apg, and 1.9 steals in the 13 games he's played in January, which is a historic run that is absolutely insane but even with that run, he hasn't surpassed Davis.

I say no to that because Davis will force his way out to LA no matter what.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say no to that because Davis will force his way out to LA no matter what.

LA has cap space to sign AD this off-season, but unfortunately for them he is not a free agent until 2020. I can't imagine LA sitting on cap space for another season with an aging LeBron. Ingram will also be a RFA to in 2020, so they would have to renounce his rights.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rumored that Davis gets traded to LA and Durant joins AD and Lebron in free agency. If that happens I'm not sure what sort of legacy Durant ends up with but he'll definitely be viewed as one of the weakest competitors in NBA history. He has a ton of talent but is a complete frontrunner. If that happens I hope Golden State could retain Cousins so there is at least 1 competitive series in the postseason.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6223148-...lebron-and-anthony-davis-in-la/partners/36273

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
LA has cap space to sign AD this off-season, but unfortunately for them he is not a free agent until 2020. I can't imagine LA sitting on cap space for another season with an aging LeBron. Ingram will also be a RFA to in 2020, so they would have to renounce his rights.

Excellent point! If I were New Orleans, I'd tell him hat his request has been noted, but that they can't accommodate him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On a side note, it would be hilarious if he ended up on the Warriors.

I think it would be equally funny to see Durant stuck in New Orleans. I'm not sure that's who the Warriors would trade but it's who they should deal if they trade one of their starters. What sucks is Durant is a free agent at years end. If they resigned him and dealt him after December 15th next year though so he's stuck in New Orleans for 4 or 5 seasons. As long as New Orleans trades Holiday first, that way Durant shows up with zero help.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best I can hope for is that the Lakers send Zubac, Ingram, Kuzma and Ball for Davis. And shortly afterwards, Lebron retires due to medical issues.

And I guess I'm the only one but I'd rather have a trade centering around Zubac and Kuzma than what Boston will likely offer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best I can hope for is that the Lakers send Zubac, Ingram, Kuzma and Ball for Davis. And shortly afterwards, Lebron retires due to medical issues.

And I guess I'm the only one but I'd rather have a trade centering around Zubac and Kuzma than what Boston will likely offer.

You have company. These two players can be penciled in as starters. They are young and will only get better.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't imagine the Suns are in the running for Davis whatsoever...but I still feel like Holiday is an ideal target should the Pelicans decide to do a true rebuild.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the above post I was referring to Zubac and Kuzma. Ingram and Ball are gravy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the above post I was referring to Zubac and Kuzma. Ingram and Ball are gravy.

Yeah. Ingram could end up the best of the group but I don't know if I believe it will happen. Anyway, Ball and Ingram have value so I'd try and get them also if I were New Orleans but I like Zubac and Kuzma by themselves more than Jaylen Brown and Tatum.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine the Suns are in the running for Davis whatsoever...but I still feel like Holiday is an ideal target should the Pelicans decide to do a true rebuild.

I'm not sure what it would take. Maybe Warren and Anderson (and something back) plus at least a couple of first round picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Ingram could end up the best of the group but I don't know if I believe it will happen. Anyway, Ball and Ingram have value so I'd try and get them also if I were New Orleans but I like Zubac and Kuzma by themselves more than Jaylen Brown and Tatum.

I totally agree. My eyes lit up the first time around when I saw Zubac and Kuzma. Adding Ingram and Ball makes it a way better trade. Theoretically those four players could be starters.

I'd take Zubac and Kuzma over Brown and Tatum

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it would take. Maybe Warren and Anderson (and something back) plus at least a couple of first round picks.

I'm not sure either, but he's my favorite fit of all the point guards the Suns could potentially have a chance to bring in, and check this out from the Pelicans beat writer:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure either, but he's my favorite fit of all the point guards the Suns could potentially have a chance to bring in, and check this out from the Pelicans beat writer:

Looking at the trade straight up without looking at the players to make it work, I think of the Suns trading Dragic to Miami.

Holiday is worth at least two first round picks like Dragic. I'm not sure if Warren compensates for Anderson's bad contract to make the trade work. Hopefully the Pelicans value Warren so they take on Anderson's contract.

However, if the Pelicans get a good haul from trading Anthony Davis, they may not want to trade Holiday.

It's hard to know. Also I'm not sure if James Jones is up to the task as an inexperienced GM.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looking at the trade straight up without looking at the players to make it work, I think of the Suns trading Dragic to Miami.

Holiday is worth at least two first round picks like Dragic. I'm not sure if Warren compensates for Anderson's bad contract to make the trade work. Hopefully the Pelicans value Warren so they take on Anderson's contract.

However, if the Pelicans get a good haul from trading Anthony Davis, they may not want to trade Holiday.

It's hard to know. Also I'm not sure if James Jones is up to the task as an inexperienced GM.

If they make a trade for a package that includes win-now guys, I think Holiday will be an unlikely target. If they're looking for young guys...

Warren, Jackson, and Bender matches salary-wise. Throw in the Bucks pick and our pick with protections. It's a lot, but it's all assets that don't fit with where the Suns need to go and you need to give something to get something.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bad news...that ain't us.
I have a lot more respect for that than the guys who demand one or two cities where they can make the most money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
New Orleans is not trading him before the deadline. They are going to wait till the offseason as they should.

Screw the Lakers and Lebron. They don't just get to snap their fingers and get their way. The Lakers probably can put the best package together but they need the competition the offseason will bring to get the highest price for him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Orleans is not trading him before the deadline. They are going to wait till the offseason as they should.

Screw the Lakers and Lebron. They don't just get to snap their fingers and get their way. The Lakers probably can put the best package together but they need the competition the offseason will bring to get the highest price for him.

They might wait till the offseason but I don't think there's going to be a rush of teams bidding on him. Davis will likely tell them where he wants to go (LA and one or maybe 2 other teams) and that will be it, a team that can't sign him isn't going to send much of a package for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they make a trade for a package that includes win-now guys, I think Holiday will be an unlikely target. If they're looking for young guys...

Warren, Jackson, and Bender matches salary-wise. Throw in the Bucks pick and our pick with protections. It's a lot, but it's all assets that don't fit with where the Suns need to go and you need to give something to get something.

At this point it looks like Warren is leaving. I guess it all depends upon how the Suns feel about Jackson.

If Jackson wasn't included I would feel better about it. The Suns would have to re-sign Oubre.

It's a hard call but I certainly would think about it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Warren, Jackson, and Bender matches salary-wise. Throw in the Bucks pick and our pick with protections. It's a lot

No it isn't. That's a jar of nickels with almost no long-term value. If Davis hits the open market, that package is a non-starter.

If the Suns are serious about outbidding anyone for Davis, their strategy is to wait until they don't win the lottery, then offer Booker, their pick, and Jackson for Davis and E'Twaun Moore. That's probably not enough, but at least it opens a conversation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No it isn't. That's a jar of nickels with almost no long-term value. If Davis hits the open market, that package is a non-starter.

If the Suns are serious about outbidding anyone for Davis, their strategy is to wait until they don't win the lottery, then offer Booker, their pick, and Jackson for Davis and E'Twaun Moore. That's probably not enough, but at least it opens a conversation.
I think he’s talking about holiday