The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As a Suns fan, I'm ecstatic they went that way. Lebron will help them improve, that's a given, but his team of court jesters could very well negate every positive he brings to the team. There are enough headcases there that I think they can cancel out Lebron. Rondo, Ball, Stephenson, Beasley, and McGee. I would love to see them bring in JR Smith and Swaggy P somehow. They might be able to fill an entire roster with guys no one else wants to touch.
It's like they put Meadowlark Lemon on the Generals for one night! :)

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Luke Walton wins 50 games with this team he should be up for coach of the year, and I could totally see the Lakers being stupid enough to fire him in they're like 30-20 coming out of the All-Star break.

The first losing streak of the season is going to send that locker room to strange places.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Luke Walton wins 50 games with this team he should be up for coach of the year, and I could totally see the Lakers being stupid enough to fire him in they're like 30-20 coming out of the All-Star break.

The first losing streak of the season is going to send that locker room to strange places.

We can but hope.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THIS SEASON!

I actually have a MASSIVE interest in watching the Suns again AND the Lakers are just going to be the best freakshow in the league.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am even excited about the watching the pg play. It will probably wear off quick but right now I am excited to see it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am even excited about the watching the pg play. It will probably wear off quick but right now I am excited to see it.

I'm excited to watch everyone play including the point guards and I'm going into the season with high hopes (getting higher everyday). But yeah, before too long, I expect reality to jump up and bite me where the sun don't shine.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's only a big deal if it's not because of his injury. Lonzo has been working out and playing some, there are videos of him with a slightly tweaked shot, but he's not medically cleared for full participation yet from the knee surgery and it's not clear when he will be.

So it wouldn't be a shock if he doesn't start. now if this means Rondo is the starter injury or not, then yeah that's an interesting development but I don't think we know that yet.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's only a big deal if it's not because of his injury. Lonzo has been working out and playing some, there are videos of him with a slightly tweaked shot, but he's not medically cleared for full participation yet from the knee surgery and it's not clear when he will be.

So it wouldn't be a shock if he doesn't start. now if this means Rondo is the starter injury or not, then yeah that's an interesting development but I don't think we know that yet.

I read something today about Rondo being the starter until Ball returns. I can't recall where but if I find the link I'll post it here.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel the only reason Ball would have been available was for Kawhi because LA was willing to deal anyone not named LeBron for him. If LA was interested in Butler and Ball was healthy maybe that rumor would catch fire. Butler would give LA that second big piece. Anyone know if LA is interested in Butler?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m interestingly excited for the season and concurrently have low expectations. The combination should make for an easy, enjoyable season for me. Unless it goes the way of the dbacks - suns unexpectedly race out to a great start, raising expectations, and then crumble to complete filth at the end erasing any excitement and expectations built for next year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m interestingly excited for the season and concurrently have low expectations. The combination should make for an easy, enjoyable season for me. Unless it goes the way of the dbacks - suns unexpectedly race out to a great start, raising expectations, and then crumble to complete filth at the end erasing any excitement and expectations built for next year.
How can you not be?

1. We added a franchise center who is 7-1, built like Adonis, runs like a deer, jumps through the roof, loves contact, and is highly skilled.
2. We added arguably the best shooter in the draft who is also a great defender and was considered the most NBA ready among players in the first round (except maybe for Doncic).
3. We added defense everywhere.
4. We added a vet free agent who is a leader, and incredible worker, is still in his prime, and will actually play minutes.
5. We added what everyone says is one of the top young coaches in the game.

We might not win a lot more, but it is at least highly intriguing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel the only reason Ball would have been available was for Kawhi because LA was willing to deal anyone not named LeBron for him. If LA was interested in Butler and Ball was healthy maybe that rumor would catch fire. Butler would give LA that second big piece. Anyone know if LA is interested in Butler?

Magic has said they're happy with their team this season and will wait to sign a free agent next year when they have max room again. They don't want to trade assets for a player they can sign next summer and Butler could be a big free agent signing for them next summer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read something today about Rondo being the starter until Ball returns. I can't recall where but if I find the link I'll post it here.

I haven't seen anything definitive eitehr way. Obviously if Lonzo is not starting, LaVar is going to speak up, who cares really, but he will. But right now it's not clear that's what's happening. i remember reading after he signed that the Lakers viewed Rondo as a playoff acquisition, if they were able to make teh playoffs(with LeBron seems they will) then having a guy like Rondo could be huge.

So wouldn't surprise me at all if they start Lonzo regular season and the increase Rondo's minutes postseason.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...So wouldn't surprise me at all if they start Lonzo regular season and the increase Rondo's minutes postseason.

Doesn't that overlook jockeying for position during the regular season for post-season home court advantage; teams with the best records starting against teams with the worst records; etc.?

And disrupting the split second chemistry at the worst time of the year?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I feel bad for IT. There was a lot of talk about Toronto screwed DeRozen by trading him after they said they wouldn't but IT did a lot for the Celtics only to be thrown away in the Kyrie trade. At least DeRozen was dealt to San Antonio, one of the best teams in the league. I know Cleveland was winning but they were still viewed as a dysfunctional organization.

IT never should have played in the postseason that last year in Boston after his sister died and he was there, right away, for them. Then he was shipped off to Cleveland who didn't try much at all to get him to fit there and then they sent him off in a salary dump to the Lakers, a team that wouldn't resign him regardless of how he played since they had PG's and of course that's where Lebron went.
He won't be getting much playing time in Denver with since they have a deep backcourt of Murray, Harris, Barton, Beasley etc.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He won't be getting much playing time in Denver with since they have a deep backcourt of Murray, Harris, Barton, Beasley etc.

If he's healthy he will earn minutes. He was signed here as a backup but played better than Dragic regularly and Bledsoe some as well. He was a bench player in Boston originally, filling Marcus Thornton's role but he ended up starting there and being their main offensive weapon. I think pairing him with Jokic is a good move that will alleviate his need to be a playmaker and distributor also. I'm not sure how many minutes he'll see but I would be surprised if it's less than 20 a game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's healthy he will earn minutes. He was signed here as a backup but played better than Dragic regularly and Bledsoe some as well. He was a bench player in Boston originally, filling Marcus Thornton's role but he ended up starting there and being their main offensive weapon. I think pairing him with Jokic is a good move that will alleviate his need to be a playmaker and distributor also. I'm not sure how many minutes he'll see but I would be surprised if it's less than 20 a game.

I thought he outplayed both of our guards regularly. But we were at our best during that stretch where we played all 3 together for much of the time. Until the falling out between Goran and Thomas, we were actually starting to look like a playoff contender.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought he outplayed both of our guards regularly. But we were at our best during that stretch where we played all 3 together for much of the time. Until the falling out between Goran and Thomas, we were actually starting to look like a playoff contender.
IT's biggest flaw is his locker room presence.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We were a playoff contender, I'd say not just a contender but a near lock. What killed that team was Goran's selfishness. His fans rave about his play when Bledsoe was out in '14, but as far as winning went it was their worst stretch.

He'd have been incredible as the next Manu, but Goran was more interested in his own stats and usage rate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn