The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel bad for IT. There was a lot of talk about Toronto screwed DeRozen by trading him after they said they wouldn't but IT did a lot for the Celtics only to be thrown away in the Kyrie trade. At least DeRozen was dealt to San Antonio, one of the best teams in the league. I know Cleveland was winning but they were still viewed as a dysfunctional organization.

IT never should have played in the postseason that last year in Boston after his sister died and he was there, right away, for them. Then he was shipped off to Cleveland who didn't try much at all to get him to fit there and then they sent him off in a salary dump to the Lakers, a team that wouldn't resign him regardless of how he played since they had PG's and of course that's where Lebron went.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel bad for IT. There was a lot of talk about Toronto screwed DeRozen by trading him after they said they wouldn't but IT did a lot for the Celtics only to be thrown away in the Kyrie trade. At least DeRozen was dealt to San Antonio, one of the best teams in the league. I know Cleveland was winning but they were still viewed as a dysfunctional organization.

IT never should have played in the postseason that last year in Boston after his sister died and he was there, right away, for them. Then he was shipped off to Cleveland who didn't try much at all to get him to fit there and then they sent him off in a salary dump to the Lakers, a team that wouldn't resign him regardless of how he played since they had PG's and of course that's where Lebron went.

Sorry but I have zero sympathy for Thomas and his Celtics exit. That team was build around Thomas in a way that anyone with common sense should have recognized that IT wasn't a superstar despite his offensive numbers. But IT didn't agree. Thomas went public and made it clear that he was going to get the max and would accept nothing less. Ainge had no choice but to trade the guy IMO.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn pretty crazy that he's not flying private...after that season he had in Boston few years back I'm sure he thought he'd have private jets, yachts and all that by now.

Just goes to show how we can never take life for granted.

No. Private jets are insanely expensive. Even for someone with tens of millions to blow, a private jet for a solo flight is a monumental waste of money.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry but I have zero sympathy for Thomas and his Celtics exit. That team was build around Thomas in a way that anyone with common sense should have recognized that IT wasn't a superstar despite his offensive numbers. But IT didn't agree. Thomas went public and made it clear that he was going to get the max and would accept nothing less. Ainge had no choice but to trade the guy IMO.

Yeah. His "back up the brinks truck" line did plenty to kill his value, not only with the Celtics, but to anyone else who might want him too.

A team with him as a max player who's gunning like he was, IMO has a really hard ceiling and it isn't a contender.

While I suspect that IT and his agent probably thought him missing time for a surgery in a contract year would be bad, I would feel bad for him though if it was the Celtics who encouraged him to try to rehab his hip non-surgically. It's ruined him and it destroyed his market. If that was the Celtics knowing he was damaged goods but wanting him to avoid the knife so they could pawn him off then it's pretty scummy.

Also, the Cavs are morons. Them following through on the trade after IT's medicals came back and showed he was in really bad shape... that was nuts. If IT was staying in the deal then the Cavs should have demanded more draft compensation.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, the Cavs are morons. Them following through on the trade after IT's medicals came back and showed he was in really bad shape... that was nuts. If IT was staying in the deal then the Cavs should have demanded more draft compensation.

I understand that line of thinking but the Celtics gave up enough at that point. Look at what Kawhi was traded for and he's better than Kyrie was/is. The Cavs got back a solid starter in IT, although his health was in question, and a very valuable pick. The Spurs only got DeRozan for Kawhi. The Spurs got a 1st round pick protected through the top 20 also but they threw in Danny Green as well. Stars don't get that much in return if they ask out. Look at what Cousins got the year before when he was Sacramento to New Orleans. Teams don't seem willing to part with all that much anymore, even if they're getting an All-Star.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand that line of thinking but the Celtics gave up enough at that point. Look at what Kawhi was traded for and he's better than Kyrie was/is. The Cavs got back a solid starter in IT, although his health was in question, and a very valuable pick. The Spurs only got DeRozan for Kawhi. The Spurs got a 1st round pick protected through the top 20 also but they threw in Danny Green as well. Stars don't get that much in return if they ask out. Look at what Cousins got the year before when he was Sacramento to New Orleans. Teams don't seem willing to part with all that much anymore, even if they're getting an All-Star.

They didn't get a solid starter though, they got a broken player. The center piece of the trade was damaged goods. They should have dumped IT from the deal or demanded more in trade value and at that point, they had leverage, especially if they were still taking IT, because after that deal got announced IT was poisoned for the Celts and poisoned for anyone else that might have considered him prior to the Cavs discovering the injury.

I absolutely think they should have asked for more... and I'm also not surprised they didn't because the Cavs have consistently been one of the worst ran teams in the NBA. If not for LeBron having been born near there that franchise would be a ruin with no history.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
No. Private jets are insanely expensive. Even for someone with tens of millions to blow, a private jet for a solo flight is a monumental waste of money.
It is a common practice on the PGA tour. Those guys never fly coach or drive to events like the old days.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is a common practice on the PGA tour. Those guys never fly coach or drive to events like the old days.

I doubt it's done outside the top players, and even the ones that do are not flying solo but with their caddie and family and so forth and even they likely have the flight paid for by one of their sponsors.

It's drastically different than some athlete, even a very wealthy one, taking a flight by themselves, in the off season.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey look who I saw at the Denver airport.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

That guy used to work in the Suns team shop.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
They didn't get a solid starter though, they got a broken player. The center piece of the trade was damaged goods. They should have dumped IT from the deal or demanded more in trade value and at that point, they had leverage, especially if they were still taking IT, because after that deal got announced IT was poisoned for the Celts and poisoned for anyone else that might have considered him prior to the Cavs discovering the injury.

I absolutely think they should have asked for more... and I'm also not surprised they didn't because the Cavs have consistently been one of the worst ran teams in the NBA. If not for LeBron having been born near there that franchise would be a ruin with no history.

The problem was that Kyrie demanded a trade out of Cleveland too. So killing this trade also would have put them in a similar situation where they would have any semblance of leverage they had in another potential Irving trade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem was that Kyrie demanded a trade out of Cleveland too. So killing this trade also would have put them in a similar situation where they would have any semblance of leverage they had in another potential Irving trade.

It was a little different though in that Kyrie asked out while Thomas expected to stay. Regardless, once they knew IT wasn't healthy, the Cavs should have demanded more. If Boston couldn't or wouldn't step up, the Cavs could have just searched for a new deal on their own timeline.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a little different though in that Kyrie asked out while Thomas expected to stay. Regardless, once they knew IT wasn't healthy, the Cavs should have demanded more. If Boston couldn't or wouldn't step up, the Cavs could have just searched for a new deal on their own timeline.
Yep. The Cavs got too much in a hurry. Another deal for Kyrie would have presented itself. I just think the Cavs were all hot for that Nets pick. They did not want to lose that. Gilbert wanted to get into the top seven in the draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. The Cavs got too much in a hurry. Another deal for Kyrie would have presented itself. I just think the Cavs were all hot for that Nets pick. They did not want to lose that. Gilbert wanted to get into the top seven in the draft.

Yeah but I think they failed to pay attention too as there was never any real chance that pick would be as high as they originally thought. Word from them for months (supposedly) was that they were going to be able to find their next superstar with that pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the Wolves to trade Butler. It's a crazy situation with that team. It's messing up my day because I wanted some trade action and perhaps a spinoff trade where the Suns acquire a point guard.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah but I think they failed to pay attention too as there was never any real chance that pick would be as high as they originally thought. Word from them for months (supposedly) was that they were going to be able to find their next superstar with that pick.
Yes. When you win the lottery as many times as they have, you start to think that is the way it always works.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the Wolves to trade Butler. It's a crazy situation with that team. It's messing up my day because I wanted some trade action and perhaps a spinoff trade where the Suns acquire a point guard.
Don't hold your breath. There are a lot of complicating factors, not the least of which is the 2019 free agency period and the fact that no team wants to tie its own hands.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't hold your breath. There are a lot of complicating factors, not the least of which is the 2019 free agency period and the fact that no team wants to tie its own hands.

The Wolves situation is a mess. I'm not holding my breath on the Butler trade so much as I think it will unleash some trade activity. Need to get some adrenaline flowing. I want to see the forum light up with activity leading into the season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As a Suns fan, I'm ecstatic they went that way. Lebron will help them improve, that's a given, but his team of court jesters could very well negate every positive he brings to the team. There are enough headcases there that I think they can cancel out Lebron. Rondo, Ball, Stephenson, Beasley, and McGee. I would love to see them bring in JR Smith and Swaggy P somehow. They might be able to fill an entire roster with guys no one else wants to touch.