The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that hurts the most is his shot selection. The dribble pull up 3s with 18 seconds on the shot clock hurts on a bunch of levels. Cutting down on those should immediately make an impact on his shooting percentage.

Agreed but he has always taken bad shots all the way back to UCLA. I just feel like the new juiced up RW is simply not as good a shooter, everywhere, deep, midrange, at the rim. I think he bulked up too much because getting 10 rpg is physically demanding, but it's hurt his shooting IMO.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN, "the expectation is the Lakers will move toward Ty Lue as head coach, but there's been no offer made to him yet."
It has been assumed that the Lakers were deciding between Lue and Monty Williams. Then, on Friday morning, the Suns announced that had hired Williams as their new head coach. It seems as though it's only a matter of when, not if, the Lakers announce that they have hired Lue.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mgrads on Twitter is saying the same thing. He seems connected to all the West Coast Hoops stuff

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers do not have much if any competition for Lue. They can take their time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers do not have much if any competition for Lue. They can take their time.

Or maybe they need to move quickly to avoid the appearance that they are "settling" for Lue now that Monty is gone? Hiring him now opens the door for the Lakers faithful to insist Lue was always their man but the Suns leaked their move before Tyronn's info was released.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or maybe they need to move quickly to avoid the appearance that they are "settling" for Lue now that Monty is gone? Hiring him now opens the door for the Lakers faithful to insist Lue was always their man but the Suns leaked their move before Tyronn's info was released.

I don't think the Lakers are going to rush to sign Lue over appearance but my guess is the ink is drying about now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Lakers are going to rush to sign Lue over appearance but my guess is the ink is drying about now.

I think you might be underestimating the egos involved there. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we leaked the information early so as to give the appearance that we stole him from LA and the Lakers have just as much ego in their front office as we do (probably quite a bit more). Besides, I do think Lue was always the way they were going, they just didn't want it to look like they were completely being run by Lebron's group. Just speculation, obviously.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you might be underestimating the ego's involved there. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we leaked the information early so as to give the appearance that we stole him from LA and the Lakers have just as much ego in their front office as we do (probably quite a bit more). Besides, I do think Lue was always the way they were going, they just didn't want it to look like they were completely being run by Lebron's group. Just speculation, obviously.

I wouldn't doubt this at all but this would be the Suns doing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, but I could see either side doing it.

It seems that the Lakers want to stick to their timetable.

They have no plans to interview other candidates just to make us look bad by the delay. :p

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to wonder, LeBron is an amazing player but how does he get past all this. The whole team is mad at him over the AD let's trade all of my supporting cast stuff and now he goes out and hires a coach who will let him do whatever he wants. He's still great but he wasn't good enough this year to carry that team into the playoffs and it sure seems like there's friction there.

All sorts of rumors Ingram and Kuzma don't like him, Lonzo, who idolized the guy, isn't overly thrilled with him and there lots of rumors Lebron is the one who insisted on trading Zubac who despite barely playing in the Warriors series appears to have a nice career ahead of him.

I really wonder, there are also rumors that Kobe is VERY involved with the Lakers and there is tons of friction between him and LeBron that contributed to Magic leaving like he did.

Really interesting to see how this all turns out, he still put up 27 8 and 8 and shot over 50%, for most guys that's a career season, but for him he just didn't seem as explosive and his defense this year was markedly worse than in the past.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to wonder, LeBron is an amazing player but how does he get past all this. The whole team is mad at him over the AD let's trade all of my supporting cast stuff and now he goes out and hires a coach who will let him do whatever he wants. He's still great but he wasn't good enough this year to carry that team into the playoffs and it sure seems like there's friction there.

All sorts of rumors Ingram and Kuzma don't like him, Lonzo, who idolized the guy, isn't overly thrilled with him and there lots of rumors Lebron is the one who insisted on trading Zubac who despite barely playing in the Warriors series appears to have a nice career ahead of him.

I really wonder, there are also rumors that Kobe is VERY involved with the Lakers and there is tons of friction between him and LeBron that contributed to Magic leaving like he did.

Really interesting to see how this all turns out, he still put up 27 8 and 8 and shot over 50%, for most guys that's a career season, but for him he just didn't seem as explosive and his defense this year was markedly worse than in the past.

The Lakers should trade Kuzma to the Suns and then they sign Zubac in free agency. :wink2:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really cool. I wish someone would make one of these for the Suns:

https://theknickswall.com/2019-nba-draft-app/TKWoffseason.html

That is really cool. Knicks fans would love me, I drafted Zion and signed KD. My bid for AD fell short but no way was I moving Zion and I doubt throwing Trier into the mix would have made the difference. They finished with 45 wins which is a slight disappointment but a huge step forward in season one.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got Zion for the Suns on the third try. Forget about the Knicks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Knicks need to hire me. I'm very good in the room.

You must be registered for see images attach

How is that only given 4 out of 5 stars? "Oh, you missed on Zion so we're going to need to dock you a star for that. Too bad you didn't rig the lottery." Any team with Durant, Kawhi, and Davis are virtually guaranteed a trip to the conference finals. In the East they'd be the favorites there and the same is probably true in the West but it might take them a year to gel enough to win their first title.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA